Illustrations schools in Canada, anyone?

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Icon Illustrations schools in Canada, anyone?

Hi, I am looking to a graduate degree in Illustration somewhere in Canada. Does anyone know any schools that they recommend over there?

SKETCHBOOK SUPPORTGROUP #48
    Maestro Andres | CouchPotato | Mono2k5 | Sawa | 0shade0

"The aim of figure drawing is never to copy the model but to analyze it." - sfa
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    What is your goal? Max the Mutt (in Toronto) has many students who hold BA or BFA degress, but we are not degree granting. We are a career college with one of the strongest programs around in representational art, animation and illustration. Check the website, www.maxthemutt.com, and let me know what you think.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sheridan College has the only BAA Illustration program in all of Ontario, and is the 2nd largest art school in North America. Theres a Sheridan thread here and their website www.sheridanc.on.ca

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Maxine I really like the curriculum for the Illustration/Sequential Art at Mutt, looks like fun.
    endregan thanks for the site, I will be checking the thread as well.
    Anyways, thanks a lot for the information, I have been checking out both places. Although I was looking for a graduate level degree

Just in case, even at the Bachelor level, do they offer scholarship to accepted students? BTW, I will be applying as an international student.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Max the Mutt doesn't have scholarships for international students. However, we were founded by artists and animators with a mandate to be available to talent, and our tuition is only $9,500 per year for US and international students. If you have any questions about the program feel free to contact Van Olson toll free at 1-877-486-MUTT, or email admissions@maxthemutt.com. We are an intimate school with high standards and a passion for excellence which includes both students and instructors.If you are looking for a career you need skills and good professional qualities. No one will ask to see your degree - you'll be hired based on your portfolio and interview.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Have a look at ACAD in Alberta too. They seem to have a nice Illustration program:

http://www.acad.ab.ca/bachelor_of_design.html

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Julianna
    Have a look at ACAD in Alberta too. They seem to have a nice Illustration program:

http://www.acad.ab.ca/bachelor_of_design.html
    Oh man, and I'm currently ATTENDING that college!

I'm a First Year student (from the US, international student per se), and I have heard their Visual Communications Program is good, but pretty competitive. I'm planning to try and get in it.
    BUT, getting into something like Illustration won't happen until you're a 4th year student there.
    So, if you do attend ACAD and are accepted, prepare a portfolio that is related to VC, and a letter of intent if planning to go in there. This is due in part, your 'VC Trials' happen in the Second Year and you're set to get a BIG load on you.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sheridan and OCAD in Ontario both have Illustration programs. I go to Sheridan so I know more about that school, but it's fairly well-known for its Animation and Illustration BAAs. I don't know if it matters to you, but Sheridan's Ill. program splits into two parts in 2nd year: Technical and Interpretive.

Technical focuses more on realistic, informative illustrations like medical diagrams, textbook illustrations, blow-ups of machinery parts, etc. Interpretive teaches you how to illustrate for the kind of industry where you might illustrate book covers, children's books, advertising, etc. and pretty much anything and everything that Technical doesn't cover. So if you like that sort of distinction, you can check out the site and see the different courses being offered. (Someone correct me if I'm sending the wrong impression, but that's what I've seen in the hallways and it's all very impressive.)

(I plan on going Technical, meeself.)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

what about McKenzie College in Moncton, NS?

anyone here attending or a grad?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    There's Emily Carr in beautiful Vancouver:

http://www.eciad.ca/

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I will have to say that I have been checking out info on these schools you guys have mentioned. I greatly appreciate your help and information regarding this. I don't know about ACAD, because I am more inclined to an Illustration focus, and VCD is not a bad thing but is just what I am not looking for. Thanks guy and anymore information is welcome.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Make sure you find a school that will teach you how to draw from the inside out, not just to "copy." You need to develop the ability to grasp the form in 3 dimensions , to "see" transparently. Your work shows potential, but you don't yet have a working knowledge of visual language. This will be important for your future.

Members who have read this thread: 1