Art: new to 3d

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: new to 3d

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

new to 3d

Hi im taking a 3d modeling class in the fall and i assume we will be using 3ds max, but can anyone recomend their favorite programs? I want to start off with something simple, just so i can get the feel of the program and learn the baiscs so i have a head start for the fall.
    so far ive looked into 3ds max and maya, but im not sure which is better or aimed at a more entry level,
    any help would be great

=====================
    If i thought it'd make you love me, i'd eat soup on a stick.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well,

You can never say one program is better than the other.. its is a never ending debate. It is all a matter of preference. That, I beleive most can agree on.

If you know you are going to be using 3dsmax, in the fall, go ahead and start learning that program, its better to have a general idea of it before you get there, because then you will have less time struggling with the software, and more time haveing fun exploring new ideas in 3d.

If you really want to get familiar with it. Go buy a book, and just follow the step by step tutorials.. do them a few times, so that you could almost repeat the tutorial without reading it and actually teach it to someone else.. last Fall I had barely any 3d experience, and I taught myself 3DsMax, and with a little help from a few pro's here and there..

There are tons of great forums out there for questions, Im sure if you hit any snags the people here can help you out. If we can't you can always go check out www.cgtalk.com, www.cgchat.com/forum, and Polycout's forum http://dynamic.gamespy.com/~polycoun...assCookie=true .. Those are 3 excellent sources.

One thing to always keep in mind is don't expect to be spoon fed on how to do something.. It goes with anything. You have to really just envelope yourself in it and go through the 3-10 hour grueling sessions trying to figure out 1 stupid little thing that someone else could show you how to do in 5 seconds.. It is those periods in time where you will learn more about the software and its interface that anyone else will be able to teach you. Also 3d isn't something that you can just learn over nite, it takes a LONG time to learn.. Also, creating truly gorgeous models and animation, and textures, all take there time in mastery, most are lucky to master one. I know you are just taking "A class", but I just wanted to give you a helpful heads up..

Also if you do searches through any of those forums you will find tons of links to other tutorials. But, I highly recommend getting a book. If you dont have the cash, go and search out some tutorials on the web, and PRINT them out.. Its always easier to have something right there in your hand infront of you. Plus you can always make notes on it.

I am getting side tracked here, good luck.. if you have any questions feel free to ask, but not until you have spent sometime trying to figure out on your own..

peace..

PS sorry if some of it doesnt make sense..

-Deth Jester
    "Live each day like you will die tommorow, and dream like you will live forever..."

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Greetings:

Both are as easy or hard to learn. It will require effort and determination. If you are serious about learning 3D you should not have much of a problem learning the basics. It is involved though and will require alot of practice, research, and determination from you. But it's fun. Good luck.

Alex

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    :afro2:

Don't worry about it dude, when you learn you'll find out more than i or anyone can tell you right now. The basics are more imprtant right now so worry about them than the other programs.

My Imagination is killing me!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

thanks guys

thanks, i got maya, and im starting to play around with it, cant wait tell class starts!

=====================
    If i thought it'd make you love me, i'd eat soup on a stick.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.