Sketchbook: Phoenix-09's beginner painting sketchbook!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Phoenix-09's beginner painting sketchbook!

In the spirit of MindCandyMan's inspirational postings, I too have decided to try to learn how to paint (and draw, but I'm much better with a pencil than I am with a computer) and submit my practice work to this site in the hopes of finding advice and the right kind of tutorials. I will, of course, because I am a semi-intelligent being, keep hunting for other tutorials and try to incorporate them into my work and also read other beginner's journals/sketchbooks and follow as much advice as I can find on the forum outside this thread =)

I hope this documents my progress well and hopefully I will learn a lot.

Thanks for reading!

~Phoenix

This is my first post, just a painting of an apple I did in photoshop with photographic reference =)

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Phoenix-09; January 31st, 2007 at 01:42 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Use life reference instead of photographic reference, you'll learn a lot more and save yourself a lot of trouble later. Good luck, I hope to see you around for a while

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Been kinda busy today, haven't done much worth posting here but I have been playing a bit in photoshop...guess you'll have to take my word for it.

Also might have to postpone development on here, I'm moving out in a few weeks so yeah this might come to an unexpected halt (if it ever starts moving).

Will post more tomorrow.

~Phoenix

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Basic blending and tool studies

Using Photoshop, getting used to the brush controls and blending. I should probably do something more with traditional media to prove I'm not entirely useless ^^;

Anyways, these two were done today. The sphere and cube were from my head (of course) and the iPod is my own iPod mini I used from life (thanks for the tip Fishspawn, I learned a lot more with something in front of me)I also keep a sketchbook, might take photos of the recent pages later.

Off on a trip tomorrow, will probably only take my sketchbook and pencil with me =). Post stuff when I get back.

~Phoenix

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey man Traditional art is just as important as digital, I am finding alot of artists all around the world have forgotten about there traditional skills, Not completely but alot of artist focus strictly on digital and that kinda sad. Digital painting is awesome in its own rights but never forget about the pencil while you learn how to paint. Photoographs are awsome to draw from because they never move and there the next best thing to drawing from life so no worries there, But if you have time draw something around you.

-Revolver

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Looks good so far, especially the iPod.

Main thing I've noticed though is that your edges seem a little on the soft side. Not so much in the iPod but I really noticed it in the apple.

Anyhow keep at it, it'll be interesting to see your non-digital stuff when you get back from the trip.

-My work can be found at my local directory thread.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'd have to agree with you Anid Maro about the edges. I find that zooming in and working slowly on the edges tends to make them harder, which is what I did on the base of the iPod (not so much the rest of it, I was rushing things). I found it funny how my mind would not accept the common sense of working slowly until it found out the hard way that rushing things never accomplished anything.

Anyways here's a sketch I did from a poster way up on a wall (it was hard to see but I went for it anyways) while I was staying at my brother's place two nights ago. About the only thing I drew while on my trip (and quite far into my pencil sketchbook).

Thanks everybody for the responses and encouragement, it's really tough to get your head down and do the work without positive support =)

~Phoenix

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This started as a really fast study that I did at the beach during sundown. It was hard because the clouds moved from their originally marked positions on the paper, and I spent most of the study looking at the sky rather than the sea. The sea was created from mostly imagination, and I couldn't figure out how to finish the little inset of seawater that crossed the beach.

~Phoenix

I also have a DeviantART page, not sure why I have it - but hey it's free and a decent community for an amateur like myself =)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I realy like the seaside view, the edges of the clowds are well done, they should be lighten by the sun, exactly how u made them BUT they shouldn't have a contour. They should disipate in the sky. Also, try drawing an all black object (or white, no colors), u can get a bit more sense of light and shadow. Most importantly, practice as much as posible.
    Now go draw

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'd like to see some more stuff, are u not drawing or not scaning?
    Hope u update soon

I'd love some constructive criticism : my sketchbook TY for taking the time
    Let's all just be friends and chill the f*** out, k ?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Cotletan, thanks for the advice. I tried drawing the clouds without the contour and it ended up being very difficult to see that they were back-lit from the sun, the way they were as I saw them. The contour just seemed to fit better because the sky was a far darker colour than the highlights created by the sillhouette effect the clouds had in front of the sun. Hope that explains my thinking, but I also see your point =)

Also, I haven't been drawing. I've been very busy seeing my friends off and doing other things because it's my last week in this town before I move. Sorry about the lack of updates, I'll try to get something done by the end of today.

~Phoenix

I also have a DeviantART page, not sure why I have it - but hey it's free and a decent community for an amateur like myself =)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Welcome to concept art!! Good start and I think its a good thing to possess a sketch book here keep posting work and you will get more feed back from artists.
    One suggestion of mine would be to do much much drawing the tablet is cool but drawing skills will directly reflect your painting skills.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey Ashrumm, you're right. Actually I've been able to draw for some time now, but haven't honed it as much as I should have. I can draw a half decent portrait/landscape but not anything stunning. I'm sort of returning to traditional media both because you learn a lot more faster than sitting on a computer, it's less damaging to my eyes, and a lot of colour blends happen naturally with traditional media whereas on a computer you have to be very meticulous to get the blends and colours you want.

Anyways here's today's work. I recently bought some proper watercolours (not the crappy stuff we used as kids), and I pulled this out. I haven't painted with real watercolour in my life, and I haven't painted with watercolour in general for at least 10 years. So yeah! It's not very good! But I learned something!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nice sketchbook. The Ipod looks really nice, and the flowers look like they will turn out to be an exeptional piece.

My suggestion is to get some books on anatomy, and perspective as these will really help you to improve in ways that might not even seem relevent. Look up loomis for free online books. Hogarth is a good one to look up too. I also suggest bridgeman even though I myself haven't seen any of his books yet. Many people on the sight seem to like him.

great work and keep going.

The Nameless Ones
    NJord-E55
    iolarnula
    Apocalypse Rex
    Invinciblewombat
    Wake101
    Q-Caddlewick
    "Draw till your hands a bloody stump then learn to draw with your teeth."

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quick update: I've been busy getting sorted for the move to my new place, so I might not be updating this as much as before. I'll still try to draw more.

In response to Wake101: I do have an anatomy book, Anatomy for the Artist, very in-depth book but doesn't detail as much the application or link between life drawing and anatomy studies. It has helped a bit, I'll study more from it =). I'm a big fan of Loomis but haven't finished his books yet.

Thanks to everyone for commenting!

~Phoenix

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Im a beginner in painting with tablet too but i can see painting is going well! Keep up!

Also the sea drawing is !

~B. Klarić
    ---SSG#46---
    Blaz ł MarkWinters ł petitemistressł sfa ł Shmaba
    -

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Today's work. Sorry about the lack of updates, there's just been a lot of social things going on in my life and it's hard to say no what with me moving.

I'll now be moving in the coming weekend, so I'll also be sorting things out for the move.

So...talk about the work: More watercolour studies, the black 'n' white one is a study using charcoal and water. Those charcoal sticks are a tad thick for real control though...I'll get used to it I guess.

~Phoenix

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    More stuff! I did these technically yesterday but yeah haven't uploaded em yet.

the paper isn't actually brown, I just had to use a lot of white balance filters to get the best photo and well...this turned out to be the best =)

~Phoenix

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Gone for a while...

For those of you who have so supportively commented and come back to see how my progress is going, many thanks...

Unfortunately, however, I have to close up shop for a while. Life in the new city I live in has been really hectic, and I don't have access to the internet at home nor do I have a scanner or a printer!

My life at university is kicking off and my first drawing fundamentals class runs on Monday, so everything is basically flying off at full speed in my life right now (apart from my finances, which are quickly running out!!)

Anyways, long story short, I probably won't update or check back here for quite some time... I might check my other subscribed threads and sketchbooks to comment but no new artwork will be added until I get some stable internet access and a nice little scanner for myself.

Thanks for commenting thus far, and my development will continue at university through the amazing design course I've enrolled in =)

~Phoenix

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.