Essential Gaming
Join Free Art WorkShopJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Essential Gaming

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Cow Essential Gaming

Right time for an I've got this friend style question....

Say you have a friend who has grown up without ever playing computer games at all. They love concept art etc and having seen some of your games have become interested in making a brave foray into the world of computer gaming and ask you which gaming platform and games are the best/essential for any self respecting concept artist to be familiar with.

What do you say?

I'm not much of a gamer myself but I enjoyed Half Life and The Silent Hill games played respectively on PC and the PS2 but couldnt say much more than that to be honest! =)

*ps*
    sorry if I've posted this in the wrong place or if I failed to find any glaringly similar threads that cover this question already - I did look!

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hmmm...gameplay/gameworld-wise i would say Half Life as well but we are talking about concept-art especially (eh ? ^^) i would suggest Final Fantasy 7 and 9. Morrowind . GTA and of course Silent Hill ^^.

Quote Originally Posted by Ilaekae
    "Art is the physical result of your soul battling with your intellect to the death...with a sharp pencil..."
    THE AUSTRIAN SKETCHLORDS
    Baron Carnifex
    Duke Corky

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yeah as far as gameplay.. max payne, halo, etc..

for gameART im a big fan of the silent hills and resident evils. gears of war and such. the final fantasies indeed are full of good artwork. really not hard to find stuff - JAG

it's only after you've lost everything, that you're free to do anything..

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Call me crazy but I wouldn't even give FF7 the time. It's a whole bag of cliche, from it's character art to it's story. I'd say that most of it's popularity comes from nostalgia. If you were to go with a Final Fantasy game, I'd reccomend 12. From it's story to it's characters it is quite possibly the best one yet.

Art-wise you cannot go wrong with Ico and Shadow of the Colossus. Both are gorgeous and push the PS2 in really interesting ways. Katamari Damacy was also clever in it's own way.

All the cool kids ignore my ketchook.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The oddworld games art wise are awesome. The creativity in Anachronox is fun, gameplay is a boring style of Final Fantasy 7. The fallout series, ICO, Shadow of the Colosseus.

For mmorpgs, I doubt you'll play them, but anarchy online may be showing its age graphics technology wise, but the art direction and creativity for that game is amazing, and they started out so ambitious releasing an online mini series, and a novel.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I might be wrong here, but I imagine you're going to get pretty much the same answers as in this thread: http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=80845 (which happens to be right on the first page here). Start with those games.

-Chris

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah, people are saying golden shit in the thread mentioned above... But honestly I'd start by trying to gain an understanding of the life the video game industry. By that I mean, dig deep, and play old gems that not everyone played and of course the ones that made a huge impact. Download an emulator and play bionic comando, ect and see how fun some old games still are... Find a copy of myst and learn about composition and lighting. You guys are going to need to know as much about gaming as humanly possible, so get a taste of everything. Don't limit your self to a certain genre, and read many books about the subject, and stay ontop of game news by reading magazines or internet equivilents.

Also I see this is your first post, welcome to CA, people here are friendly and fair and brutally honest. And you will hear these two things alot, draw from life, and draw often... That's the best thing your friend could do for him self at this point.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, welcome

Hmm, games, games. Silent Hill and The Sanitarium are a must if he's into horror :] Morrowind is maybe a bit hard to figure out, but I'm in love with its wonderfully stylised world and characters. I also agree that Final Fantasy VII is overrated - go for Final Fantasy VIII instead, it's much better, both story- and graphic-wise.
    I am a BIG point&click adventure fan, so I'm gonna recommend some (tee hee!) Those games are really easy to play and they might be good for a beginner. So, we have... Broken Sword (1 & 2, the latter games are... heh... for fans only), Post Mortem, Still Life, Syberia I (that one's a MUST!), Return to the Mysterious Island (very original concept and gameplay).

Also, Tomb Raider games were my first videogames and I wholeheartedly recommend them to everyone (parts 1-4, though; 5 is a bit screwed up and stupid and 6 has the greatest story EVER, but a lot of things went wrong with it. I dare not mention TR7/Legend... it's shame for such a wonderful franchise! Graphics are top-notch, though.)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Max Payne 2, Half Life 2, Call of Duty 2 and for some single player RPG, Oblivion took up about 900 hours of my time total so far. :|

While on the subject of Max Payne 2 as well, anyone know how the grainy type effect was made for all the cut scenes and art in that game? I thought some of the paintings of Max and Mona were incredible, example here.

Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks everyone =)

sorry for not replying before (have had deadlines attacking me left right and centre - Its all very well Douglas Adams saying he likes the wooshing sound they make as they fly past, but mine always seem to fly straight into me and knock me off my feet ;p)

Anyway loads of really interesting suggestions and useful advice here so thank you!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Night~
    While on the subject of Max Payne 2 as well, anyone know how the grainy type effect was made for all the cut scenes and art in that game? I thought some of the paintings of Max and Mona were incredible, example here.
    I'd guess that it was a combination of filters and texture overlays.

0kelvin

www.WhereIsMyEyeball.com My portfolio! Go check it out!
    Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ps2 - OKAMI !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! booootiful !!!

the sole intention is learning to fly

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Max Payne 2

Because it's both a rather complex and serious game, and a mild transition from film to game.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.