Sketchbook: Maestro Andres' SB - June 1
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: Maestro Andres' SB - June 1

Maestro Andres is offline It's just a nickname, still too far from being one... Level 7 Gladiator: Samnite
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Maestro Andres' SB - June 1

Hi all,
    I have been enjoying navigating all these forums and watching so many talent growing. After seeing so much, I finally dedicate some time to start my own.

To start off, during the beginning of last year, I switch majors to Computer Graphics Technology (CGT). Theoretically, I am more of an animation oriented person, but I take drawing classes here on the side, since I have been drawing almost all my life so far. Currently, I am taking my first figure drawing class yey. Also, I read art books once in a while, I can list some of them if anyone is interested.

So here, I will be posting posting mostly stuff I had done in the past year and I will be posting more in the upcoming weeks. Most of the time I draw from reference pictures just for the practice. So feel free to comment, critique, trash me, etc etc, any feedback is helpful.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Maestro Andres; June 1st, 2009 at 10:55 AM.
    SKETCHBOOK SUPPORTGROUP #48
    Maestro Andres | CouchPotato | Mono2k5 | Sawa | 0shade0

"The aim of figure drawing is never to copy the model but to analyze it." - sfa
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Maestro Andres is offline It's just a nickname, still too far from being one... Level 7 Gladiator: Samnite
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So here, I am posting mostly stuff I had done in the past year and I will be posting more in the upcoming weeks. Most of the time I draw from reference pictures just for the practice. So feel free to comment, critique, trash me, etc etc, any feedback is helpful.

Name:  Carro Pichito.JPG
Views: 2852
Size:  145.3 KBName:  Chairs.jpg
Views: 2795
Size:  40.4 KB
    Name:  girl-scarf.jpg
Views: 2854
Size:  68.0 KBName:  hands.jpg
Views: 2734
Size:  66.7 KB
    Name:  josue.jpg
Views: 2702
Size:  93.7 KBName:  pacho-starfox.jpg
Views: 2678
Size:  105.4 KB
    Name:  shoe sketch scanned.jpg
Views: 3589
Size:  92.1 KBName:  sketch2.jpg
Views: 2534
Size:  65.5 KB
    Name:  skull.jpg
Views: 2709
Size:  64.5 KBName:  stalker.jpg
Views: 2485
Size:  33.0 KB
    Name:  three-seeds.jpg
Views: 2440
Size:  34.8 KBName:  transportation-concept.jpg
Views: 2448
Size:  56.8 KB
    Name:  vane-concept.jpg
Views: 2388
Size:  94.5 KBName:  wings.jpg
Views: 2435
Size:  45.3 KB

Also, here are some charcoal drawings. Except for the first, the others were done in front in a mirror, including the one with the hand on the neck . Sometimes I add extra stuff, like the devil girl or the nuke explosion.

Name:  charcoal-warrior.jpg
Views: 5541
Size:  40.0 KBName:  portrait.jpg
Views: 5507
Size:  35.8 KB
    Name:  guerrilla.jpg
Views: 5462
Size:  49.2 KB

Last edited by Maestro Andres; April 25th, 2008 at 02:08 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Man, I still think the one with the wings it's my favorite. That's some way to go!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Digital Paintings

Lenon- Thanks man, glad you like it. I'll need to add some background once I get back to it.

I am kinda new in the digital painting world, especially with color, so critique on this will be greatly helpful.
    The first three were done with a Wacom Tablet, while the last three were done with a mouse. It's funny how the dark is greatly screwed in the first picture, it doesn't look that bad in my laptop or on the PC's on campus, don't really know why. I didn't draw Homer, but I drew myself and some friends on it

Last edited by Maestro Andres; January 27th, 2007 at 04:42 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,568 Times in 754 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Nice sketches. The second drawing with chairs looks really interesting.
    I would recommend doing more life drawings. It would improve your seeing form and composition skills.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Farvus- Thanks man. Those chairs were actually hanging from the ceiling, kinda like those weird still life drawings assignments.

During last semester, I was involved in this educational videogame project that is being developed at my college. I did basic concept art, which was only sketches no rendering or painting whatsoever. I know the last environment looks bad, it was suppose to be an axometric view but I did screw up big time with perspective..

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here I add some concept sketches, I am doing for some projects. The environments are for the Chem Game I mentioned early. I know I should be working on more general sketches, but it is just fun. Currently I am painting the hangar environment, so you will see that sometime soon for critique.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice start, some of the wrinkles in the hand up top are unreal. Keep it up.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i like the first ones(hands,portraits,figures) and the simpson,s cartoon.keep posting.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hola Armaldon,

I like the one with the winged guy battling it out. Very cool. Horned skull is pretty funky too!

Best wishes,

-K.I.D.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    DARAF, JoeEffect and K.I.D. : Thanks for the comments guys, that's great motivation to keep at it.

Here I add some recent drawings.
    The first two, are drawings I just retouched to submit to a local exhibition here at college.
    The other two, are drawings from plates that are assigned as homework drawings in my life drawing class. Sorry for the bad camera quality

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks for replying on my sb dude,i like your studies too,and i'll work in your advices.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here just doing a weekly upload. The first is a WIP of a hangar sketch I am doing for a project at college, I should finished by late tomorrow with color and all. The second is one of the weekly plates assignments of my life drawing class. The last two, are old sketches of a comic type thing, I was thinking on heavily render the one of the fight, who know....

C&Cs welcome as always.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It's been a while, been kinda busy with school, but here is some art dump. The Hangar environment was something that was suppose to be done, but I will work on it with the feedback I obtained. For those who post on that thread, don't worry and I will make the changes during spring break.

The other alien room is a WIP, I have to turn in next week, still trying to fix some perspective issues and getting my rendering done. Any feedback on that is welcome.

As always, another anatomy plate and some robots concepts.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Life drawing, finally!!

Yep, finally got a chance to take pictures of my life drawing works, so here goes the first batch. Enjoy.

C&C are welcome.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Second life drawing batch

Before I forget, this is the second batch. Once in while, the models won't come for unpredicted reasons and we have some of the students pose for the class, with clothes that is. Some were head studies while others were more of a figure approach. Anyways, it was fun to see all those folds on the clothes.

The last one is this week's assignment, of taking any figure drawing and overlaying over it the skeleton structure. It was fun to do as well.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Alien Room Concept

Just quick update, I finally finished with the alien room painting I was doing for the past two weeks. It took me like 20 hours to complete. I would like to post it in the critique center, but I have to move to other school stuff. Anyways, I would appreciate C&C I could use for my next paintings.

Just in case, I do everything in grayscale and then apply color to it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Your set of hands is definatly my favorite with the skull and the shoes being your other best two peices (in my opinion). I would tend to agree with Farvus
    that you should get some more time in on your lifedrawing. Your detail and basic sense of the figure is good but your proportions and structure seems to be off. Great work so far and keep posting!

...a perpetual plan for discovery days,where everyone can take part in "purposeless play".
    My Sketch 'em up book!!
    My Blog/portfolio site- purposelessplay.com/blog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Icon

silvestri99 Thanks for stopping by man. I will take your comments into account for the rest of my life drawing classes.

Just for sharing my 3d work, I post some renders of my past projects. For the first one, I only textured and light the dining room scene (the models were given). For the second one, I did everything from scratch, with the goal of imitating a picture I took previously.

And some of my recent life drawings as well. The foreshortened one was actually done from a plate drawing, is one of my weekly hw assignments. The rest were from class. I have others but I turned them in last friday. I will post them when I get them back.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some awesome environments here. I was trying to think of crits for the alien room piece, but couldn't think of anything smart to say.
    Anyways, a very nice sketchbook, hope to see more in the near future.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for stopping by my sb. The drawing of the hands up top is really nice. I'd like to see some more stuff like that, and other things drawn from life. Maybe try playing with some different colored lighting besides only white on those environments. Keep at it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    BryanYoung Thanks man for stopping by, it's always good to obtain feedback and critique.

Well, it's been a while since I have posted stuff here, so here I put some recent work. The first one is a self portrait project from the life drawing class, it's kinda an old idea I had, but at least it was a nice change after working too much on the digital medium. The second is just another composition of the same drawing done in Photoshop.

The robot is my most recent painting, which I already post for critique to take further in realism.
    I also did fixed a little bit the alien room concept I did and now I am building that in 3d with textures, lighting and all. Everything is modeled (I borrow the character from a classmate) and now I would have to texture it, which should be done by next week.
    And the last is just some nostalgia, I have from watching the new TMNT movie, which was better than I expected. I did this during the time it came out, I was like 10-12 years old and I took the concept to create my own, that's why the similarities. Still, TMNT was awesome back then, cowabunga!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It's been a while, but anyhow, finally broke free from some class projects, so it's time to fix some and start new drawings. Here I share some recent works.

The first is the alien room I painted early. Now modeled, textured and lighted in Maya. I am responsible for all in the scene except the characters that were provided by my lab TA, Ray Hassan.

The second, just a simple assignment of overlaying the muscle structure over an earlier life drawing. You might find the original in the previous posts. I believe i should do more often since I get to understand the location and interaction of the muscles that define the form. Quite interesting

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You definitely have skills...A lot of your studies and interests kinda reminds me of mine..hehe

I love the shoe and the poster with an angel...although they could use some more dynamic poses, but it's nicely done...

The life drawings are gonna need work,but I'm sure you'll get there in time because of the bammes studies (they're the best, really).

Hope you post more stuff!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,568 Times in 754 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Great studies. In those enviroments try doing greater variety of strokes beacause it gives lots of depth. Maybe check this - http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=51913

Also you don't have to outline everything the same way. For example when you draw some less important element of picture, you can only suggest its shape and the viewer's imagination will fill the empty gaps. This way it will feel more loose and it will be interesting for the viewer. When I was learning at the beginning it was hard for me to understand but there's actally quite simple visual example. I sketched it quickly in openCanvas

On the top there are three geometric shapes. The outlines are not closed but you still know it's square, triangle and circle (not perfect I know ). I applied this to simple figure drawing. The hand for example doesn't have any fingers shown but the viewer will know what these few lines can be enough to tell it if. Behind the figure there is suggestion of right arm even if you don't see all lines that show it.... and so on (this also applies to brush strokes). For different parts of the picture you can put different level of clarity. Some character might have very detailed face beacause it's important focal point while rest of the body can be only sugested. (this also applies to brush strokes)
    As for the boxes. Some of the contours in the top one are barely visible and some are stronger but you still see that it's a box. At the same time the stronger lines can tell you that the front plane of the box is closer and weaker lines are further from the viewer.
    The bottom one doesn't have this and it's more boring at the same time.

Hope that helps. I still forget about things said above when drawing . Especially figures from imagination.

Keep it up and thanks for visiting my SP thread.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Bard Thanks man for stopping by and for the feedback as well. Didn't know exactly what were the Bamme studies until I google it and now I see how important they are. Before it was just stuff that was required for my class but now I see the purpose of it. I'll do more of them on my own in the upcoming summer and hope to see more of your drawings.

Farvus That's a very helpful explanation. I appreciate that you share it and spend the time on it. I think I have not heard of this approach before but sounds very practical and useful. I'll try to do these in the future. Thanks for knowledge, keep up with your SP.

Now getting into business, been a little busy with school since these are the last weeks before summer. So here I upload some stuff. The first is the last painting I did a couple of weeks ago and obtained great feedback from the critique center, still need to work on it a little bit. From this I learned how to make custom brushes and how to use them
    The second one is a previous painting I did last december and was just revisiting with the stuff I learned. Initially, I did use a 3d model of a woman as reference which didn't have hair or the same clothes as in the drawing. I learned that I will have to dedicate some time to learn about painting human flesh.

Name:  stalker.jpg
Views: 4585
Size:  87.8 KB
    Name:  211-FP.jpg
Views: 4113
Size:  73.5 KB

The last 3d renders from Maya are from my final group project of my Digital Light and Rendering Class, I just feel like sharing them here, since that's what I directly study. It was rendered in layers in Mental Ray with GI and FG, and the composite in PS. From these renders, I modeled and texture the whole hangar scene except for the vehicles, characters and the background with the mountains. My partner did the vehicles and Bg while I obtained the character from my TA as I did in my previous render of the alien room. If you can't tell, I tried to recreate in Maya the hangar rendering I did previously. It's kinda funny that these projects have increase my interest in making textures. For this scene, I did some of the textures while for others I modified some free ones I obtained from the Turbosquid site. Nevertheless, I will probably try texturing more or maybe even buy a book about it....
    Name:  hangarcomplete.jpg
Views: 3997
Size:  120.4 KB
    Name:  extrascene.jpg
Views: 3924
Size:  53.8 KB
    Name:  extrascene2.jpg
Views: 3889
Size:  58.1 KB
    Name:  extrascene3.jpg
Views: 3864
Size:  71.6 KB
    Name:  extrascene4.jpg
Views: 3839
Size:  48.0 KB

The arrival...
    Name:  arrival.jpg
Views: 3843
Size:  186.9 KB

Next time, I will upload my recent life drawings now that I am done with that class. Feel free to comment and critique any of these, especially the 3d renders since it will be helpful when I try my hand at new ones.

Last edited by Maestro Andres; May 1st, 2007 at 05:13 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Life drawings updates... finally

And also, finally understand how to work with attachments and text in these posts

Now that the semester is almost over, I got a chance to take pictures from my life drawing class artwork. I will continue to do this throughout the summer and next fall, so feel free to give critique on what aspects should I focus more on and to improve. So far I notice that I tend to make hands and feet small in relation to the rest of the body and I used to draw small figures, until my instructor encourage me to work on bigger size paper, so I switch from a 18 x 24 newsprint to 24 x 35 paper, which help me to learn to be a little bit faster. Also, I still need to improve on planning my page and composition as well when drawing. Other than that, I ll appreciate all the critique you guys can give me.

Most of these were 10-20 minute poses per figure.

Name:  CIMG0259.jpg
Views: 3768
Size:  30.4 KBName:  CIMG0262.jpg
Views: 3729
Size:  26.8 KB
    Name:  CIMG0263.jpg
Views: 3702
Size:  32.2 KB
    Name:  CIMG0264.jpg
Views: 3708
Size:  29.2 KB
    Name:  CIMG0265.jpg
Views: 3680
Size:  31.9 KBName:  CIMG0270.jpg
Views: 3664
Size:  24.7 KB
    Name:  CIMG0272.jpg
Views: 3647
Size:  29.1 KB
    Name:  CIMG0274.jpg
Views: 3637
Size:  22.9 KB
    Name:  CIMG0275.jpg
Views: 3618
Size:  37.6 KB
    Name:  CIMG0278.jpg
Views: 3616
Size:  23.4 KB
    Name:  CIMG0280.jpg
Views: 3601
Size:  28.4 KB

These were the ones I did on the last week. The first, was in a 40 min period, 20 minutes per pose. The others were 2 and 3 hours respectively.
    Name:  CIMG0266.jpg
Views: 3619
Size:  33.5 KB
    Name:  CIMG0267.jpg
Views: 3574
Size:  42.0 KB
    Name:  CIMG0268.jpg
Views: 3569
Size:  36.1 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You got some really great stuff in here man- I love that one of the two guys fighting,the one with the wings- sweet man!
    great studies too!
    Keep at it man!!

-JL

J.L. ALFARO

"Be who you are and say what you feel,because those that mind don't matter and those that matter don't mind."
    -Dr. Seuss

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Oil Paintings!

JLAlfaro Thanks man for stopping by and for your comments. I will try to upload more frequently from now on.

Well it's been a while, with summer and all, I took this oil painting class for the last month. It only lasted for 4 weeks only, but we meet 4 hours per day during weekdays. I did spent more time than that. It was fun learning a new medium and specially some color mixing and matching for the paintings, also by the fact of learning a traditional way of painting than the digital.

Here are the results in 4 weeks of oil painting:
    Name:  all.jpg
Views: 3689
Size:  119.0 KB

My first oil painting:
    Name:  paperbags.jpg
Views: 3559
Size:  102.8 KB

Master studies from (left to right): Rafael, El Greco, Cezanne, Caravaggio
    Name:  masterstudies.jpg
Views: 3536
Size:  77.6 KB

Still life painting:
    Name:  still-life.jpg
Views: 3863
Size:  113.5 KB

Final painting, apples:
    Name:  apples.jpg
Views: 3575
Size:  123.7 KB

For the moment, I don't plan to continue doing oil painting because of how expensive and messy it is, so I'll continue to focus on the digital although this experience provide me a good insight into painting. Any comments and suggestions are welcome.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thatīs your first oil painting? leave something for the rest of us!
    Lots of talent here!

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 1