Sketchbook: Maestro Andres' SB - June 1 - Page 8
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,068 Times in 449 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Hey man! Oof, been a while since I dropped by. Love your work, you've got a pretty unique style in the works here!

Ah, so you're studying graphic design. Still your SketchUps are very impressive! More detailed than anything I've done myself, although I'd love to tackle that, I just haven't gotten the opportunity. I didn't think there was any interest in seeing my architecture assignments over at my SB, but if you and others are interested I might pop those inbetween when the academy starts again I for one really enjoy seeing your SketchUp models, they're beautiful!

Your digital have improved so much, my hat's off to you and your dedication. Actually, your pencils have as well. I don't really have any useful crits for you, sorry, I'm just impressed all around! Keep up the awesome work!

sketchbook / sketchblog / deviantart / facebook / twitter / e-mail

"assiduus usus uni rei deditus et ingenium et artem saepe vincit" - cicero
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Maestro Andres is offline It's just a nickname, still too far from being one... Level 7 Gladiator: Samnite
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Diego, hey man thanks for the support and the tip about the painting, I will need to revise it sometime when I am not tired of looking at it. Definitively going to be keep at it harder.

Asab, hey appreciate the compliments about the sketchup work. It is something I just got around because of a project I got involved sometime ago. I think it definitively helps trying out new stuff like this, since you can take from it and applied to other types of art, sometimes it can have an influence like that and sometimes you can't barely notice hehehe. Thanks for the support and compliments too

Been lazy at scanning lately, so finally got off my ass to do it. Here's some ref stuff and studies:
    Name:  espaldas.jpg
Views: 322
Size:  34.9 KBName:  facesomega.jpg
Views: 321
Size:  37.8 KB
    Name:  loomisHead21.jpg
Views: 326
Size:  43.1 KBName:  refOmega.jpg
Views: 319
Size:  35.6 KB
    Name:  torsoomega.jpg
Views: 329
Size:  36.3 KB

Some non-ref, the small enviro sucks but it was a doodle done long ago:

Name:  sketchesOMEGA.jpg
Views: 328
Size:  42.9 KBName:  sketchesOMEGA2.jpg
Views: 369
Size:  37.0 KB
    Name:  sketchesOMEGA3.jpg
Views: 320
Size:  40.0 KBName:  sketchesOMEGA4.jpg
Views: 324
Size:  24.9 KB

SKETCHBOOK SUPPORTGROUP #48
    Maestro Andres | CouchPotato | Mono2k5 | Sawa | 0shade0

"The aim of figure drawing is never to copy the model but to analyze it." - sfa

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey man, really digging the loomis' studies, but i keep on seeing the same flaws in your imaginative work, well, not flaws but it's like you can't add that quote of structure to your work, like in this page http://www.conceptart.org/forums/att...8&d=1218232003
    You have the knowledge about planes, anatomy, make it flow tru your pages. If you want to be good at drawing no reference faces or figures, you have to start using what it is in storage in your brain to it fullest. Use all you know about balance, rhythm, design, to embelish your figures, but keep at it. Make your own library of forms and designs, but of course trying to make them appear functional.
    In your designs http://www.conceptart.org/forums/att...8&d=1218232003, some forms looks very flat, use the basic shapes over the figure and then break them with minor and more complex shapes, explore and use perspective to make them believable.

What i been looking in the pros work, in id stuff and every design is that everything is made of simple forms, but the main problem i found myself is relating those forms with each other in a organic way...well, its a start i guess, but it's all about the language, the more you draw it the more you understand it...

Well man, hope it doesn't sound harsh or something...and hope it helps.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Diego For This Useful Post:

Maestro Andres is offline It's just a nickname, still too far from being one... Level 7 Gladiator: Samnite
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Diego Hey man, greatly appreciated your last comment. I totally agree with you about how my imaginative stuff is way behind quality with the studies and work from reference. Don't worry on being harsh on commenting, as long as it is a helpful comment I will indeed pay more attention to that and spend extra time in my imaginative sketches. The same goes for the design approach, which I have been neglecting since I am more focused on getting the basics right before going that way. Thanks for the wake up call dude!

This one was done kinda as a birthday gift of a friend of mine. Tried to go for a logo/graphic design look. Came out with two versions of it, and realize how bad I am at painting smoke

Name:  carrilloCA.jpg
Views: 305
Size:  88.6 KBName:  carrillo-smokeCA.jpg
Views: 348
Size:  87.8 KB

Decided to fix this old painting I did about a year ago, mainly focusing on fixing the girl's anatomy. It was done from a crappy 3d model pose as the base reference. Now that I know more human anatomy then last year, tried to apply that to fix the main problems. The new face might need more fixing too.
    Name:  cockroachlast.jpg
Views: 316
Size:  74.3 KBName:  cockroachCA.jpg
Views: 319
Size:  185.5 KB

C&C are welcome

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Maestro, some wonderful sketches here. It's very cool to see you doing the studies with such diligence *kicks self in the rear.* I'm really interested to see what you can do with a piece of old work. I avoid my old work like plague in general, but it sounds like a good way to learn and to experience your progress. The car's wheel looks like it's popping out from the body of the car too much, but the perspective is totally cool. I'm assuming the first picture of the two is the newer one... I like the face much better already

keep up the awesome work!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hehe. Well. This looks like a whole lot more stuff then you showed me on msn dude, damn, should just link me to your sketchbook next time you got some updates man! Naughty Andres!

Those Loomis portraits look really good man, I need to work harder on my 2D stuff too! Arrrrgh, too much things to do and too little time!

CP

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nightblue Hey Nightblue, thanks for the suggestion on the car piece. Actually, the right one was the new update, fixed a bit the torso and arms. I also agree that the old face looks better, should try fix that and see what I can do with the wheel.

CouchPotato
    Thanks man, should let you know more often. Sometimes I don't know if you are even checking this website at all regurlarly! Anyways, talk to you on MSN later.

Some studies and from ref. Focusing a bit on Torsos lately.
    Name:  face-guides.jpg
Views: 286
Size:  44.5 KBName:  lambdaref1.jpg
Views: 283
Size:  42.5 KB
    Name:  lambdaref2.jpg
Views: 279
Size:  34.8 KBName:  lambdaref3.jpg
Views: 283
Size:  39.0 KB

Sketches just for fun. Starting to apply the notion of "if you don't know how to draw it, just get some reference". Going to take it slowly so both types of work are at the same level.
    Name:  lambdasketch1.jpg
Views: 281
Size:  43.3 KBName:  lambdasketch2.jpg
Views: 280
Size:  41.6 KB
    Name:  lambdasketch3.jpg
Views: 278
Size:  36.8 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some more faces done recently, first one done from a pic as small gift for a friend:

Name:  solange.jpg
Views: 317
Size:  52.5 KB

Second one, no ref, just rendered something so I could try this spray fixative I got. I realized that the placement of the eyes is really bad

Name:  sci-fi-head.jpg
Views: 270
Size:  58.1 KB

Last one, something, I been working on a bit, until I finally gave up on it . Done from a picture but the similarity is way of. Try playing with color combinations on this one.

Name:  another-face.jpg
Views: 267
Size:  34.1 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oops... I'm bad at guessing I guess for the car piece the face on the left just seem to have more life. The one on the right is more mechanical.

Great studies lately. You seem to be struggling with girl's faces a bit, much like I am. You may want to leave enough chins and pull the cheekbones higher like your head proportion study. It varies with people of course. Another trap I fall into a lot is over-shading the faces of girls. Too much shading tend to make her look older. As for skin tone, I found copying other people's work to be very helpful.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nightblue Thanks for the tips about girl's face. I found out that lately about smooth and gentle shading for girl's faces. Will take into account what you mentioned for skin tones.

Dump...

Finally got around finishing that master painting, even when I couldn't find the author of it, so I just worked from the crappy scanned version. Got lazy in painting all those beads...
    Name:  master-painting.jpg
Views: 256
Size:  34.1 KB Name:  face-master-painting.jpg
Views: 262
Size:  21.2 KB

And some digi sketches. Still suck at design, but focusing on the basics for now:
    Name:  faces-girls.jpg
Views: 264
Size:  17.9 KB
    Name:  princess-sketch.jpg
Views: 268
Size:  24.2 KB
    Name:  sword-head.jpg
Views: 259
Size:  49.6 KB
    Name:  monster-square.jpg
Views: 255
Size:  26.9 KB

These makes me realize, I need to do strong studies of the forearm and hands.

C&C are welcome.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Been awhile since I've visited. Tons of great stuff in here. Awesome studies, awesome Loomis heads in #212, and nice work on that master copy.
    I get a kick out of your sword-head character. I can just picture the way he might lunge at his adversary. Great stuff.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ex Nihilo Hey thanks. Actually, never thought about that, but imagining it lounging is a great idea.

Some more studies, of the torso mainly in the armpits area of how the muscles behave there and some necks.

Name:  torso-studies2.jpg
Views: 243
Size:  7.2 KBName:  torso-studies.jpg
Views: 245
Size:  8.5 KB
    Name:  necks.jpg
Views: 248
Size:  7.5 KBName:  necks2.jpg
Views: 242
Size:  8.1 KB

Random digital stuff. The last one was done in Artrage, since I like how it sometimes looks more traditional, though the face came out really messed up
    Name:  girl-dress.jpg
Views: 253
Size:  15.0 KBName:  mermaid-warrior.jpg
Views: 249
Size:  19.5 KB
    Name:  chick-cloth.jpg
Views: 246
Size:  13.3 KBName:  girl-chair.jpg
Views: 247
Size:  25.1 KB
    Name:  jillito-PTG.jpg
Views: 253
Size:  34.7 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    que haces Andres? muy bueno lo ultimo que has hecho. te estas preocupando mas por las formas y las proporciones. se puede ver eso en la copia de la pintura.en la pagina que tiene dos rostros femeninos, el segundo esta muy bien.
    segui asi, solo tene presente siempre la forma cada vez que realizes algo, trata sentir lo que dibujas mas alla de lo que veas o imagines. en general es bueno tratar de percibir cuando algo funciona o no. mmm creo que quedo un poco confuso lo ultimo. continua que esta muy bien. saludos

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hej man, been a while since i last responded to my sketchbook-colleges. I'll be updating in a few days, but i just wanted to drop by and tell you how much you've progressed. Keep it up!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey andres, long time since last time i drop by. I see good stuff going on, and i agree with what dymagyan said, try to feel the forms as you draw, and if it works or not, i guess that's subjetive to your aesthetics, but i guess some stuff are easy to catch and discard. Something i've started to apply in my work is drawing like if i were sculpting, being really loose, carving shapes, not worrying at all, just feeling the forms, the dynamics, rhythm...but not going for something specific. Being really loose but being conscious and making choices with those strokes. Being general about it but not too specific yet. Then you can work it up with anatomy, drapery, designs etc. But the freshness will come from the initial strokes, and maybe some designs that you can worry about developing later as i said.

As for your designs, i'd said that your going very tubular/roundish with them, your not creating volume and movement, try to go more straight with your lines and then decide if you want to go concave or convex. If you use more basic shapes, the designs will look more believable and again, you'll transform as you go, deciding with some solid shapes as a base.

Make sure you start with a solid gesture from the beginning, and that's where all your knowledge will pay off, proportion, perspective, anatomy....so you can land some marks as the shoulders angle, the hips angle, the center line as accurate as you can. Also BALANCE, which i think is something your characters seems to lack.

Well, wrote too much i guess, hope it helps dude. Always inspired by your hard work and dedication to studies.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

A reference :D

DIMAGYAN Gracias Diego por la recordatoria de las formas y del aspecto 3d del sombreo. Si lo estoy tomando en cuenta, pero debo mas por lo que esa es la desventaja de dibujar de fotos. Gracias.
    mono2k5 Thanks man for the encouragement.

Diego Hey man, appreciate the advise. That's an exercise I should practice more often, about shading without lines, just feeling the form. Regarding the design, yeah it is something I need work more and to be honest I am having a hard time understanding it. I would spend more time at pro's work to see what you mean but if you know of a useful link or anything of that sort that explains it better, will be greatly appreciated. Thanks for the always insightful info.

--------------

Been to lazy to scan as always, and have become a reference recently. Just drawing way too much from reference and don't work from scratch. That will be my next focus and do tons of non refd heads, just like Algenpfleger (that dude is insane). So here are some recent stuff from reference.

Attached Images Attached Images                      

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some non-ref stuff. Need to do MOAR.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nice studies you got, you work hard i can see

i love your avatar its what dragged me into this thread

awesomenes

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Some pens

`ej Thanks man.

Been doing a lot of pen work to improve my linework and stroke confidence somehow. All from reference from newspapers and magainzes. The lasts ones are the more recent ones.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    And some pencilwork of different stuff.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Cool, i like those studies man. Especially the bunny in the second page. Really cute.

Keep it up the hard work man.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Cada vez mejor andres!
    Segui asi, dandole a los estudios!

"The superior man is distressed by the limitations of his ability; he is not distressed by the fact that men do not recognize the ability that he has."

My BLOG

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah man, your studies are great ! Maybe you can try to take more time on your digital studies !!Anyway, good work, keep it up !

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Diego Thanks for the constant support man. Always great to see you stop by.
    Bushido Gracias che!
    Walid D Thanks dude!

Just more boring stuff from photos, should really start doing something from memory. At least, try to improved at drawing heads.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some more pencil stuff, still from photos.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey man, the values on those drawings are improving a lot. Keep at it. A minor crit is that i see that you resolve noses the same way in frontal face poses, like in evo, fidel and chavez, you use a big circle shape and the bridge is very rectangular, you could try to catch those little nuances in every face. Maybe working bigger with every face will help.
    Anyways, in this update you improved a lot with this issue but i guess i was worth remind it to you.

Keep it up the hard work man.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    estas hecho una bestia no?? tus estudios a lapiz estan a lo bien.. dale pana estudia a los maestros.. si quieres te paso los scaneos hi res de fortuny que tengo!

"Nihil est in intellectu quod non prius in sensu" | SB | Portfolio | FJGC (blog) | DA (Profile) | EJERCICIOS DE COLOR

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The faces on this page are already showing a big improvement on this one page alone! The new ones feel much more believable.

I have some information you may already know, and you are improving already, I just want to try and be helpful

Make sure you are putting enough time in each one to get it right before you move on - if you just cant get it, start over, and im sure you will learn somethign! Also, a lot of making pencil faces look good in sketches has to do with how you are appyling your lines. When you look at shapes in life we see a result of values to determine this; so save your dark lines for where they count, and the soft lines for the more gradual forms. Look at other peoples sketches that you really like, and see where they apply different lines. Nice work!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Muy buenos tus estudios Andres, se nota que estas siendo mas cuidadoso y atento a las formas.

especialmente en estos rostros se aprecia lo que antes te decia.
    http://conceptart.org/forums/attachm...1&d=1225335375

como comentario constructivo, trata de mantener la sensacion cuando realizes dibujos desde tu imaginacion. mantener la credibilidad y la sensacion de las formas(espero se entienda lo que trato de decir).vas muy bien!
    sigue asi.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sisi, definitivamente estas mejorando en cada post loco! Muy bueno!
    Un consejo, para hacer claro oscuros bien elaborados usa hojas mejores q estas, por q me doy cuenta por este http://www.conceptart.org/forums/att...4&d=1219520535 trabajo q las hojas no te estan aguantando.
    Ami en lo personal me gustan las hojas poco p̣rosas para hacer claro oscuro.
    Segui asi andres. Como dice el dicho "La practica hace al maestro"

Un Abrazo!

"The superior man is distressed by the limitations of his ability; he is not distressed by the fact that men do not recognize the ability that he has."

My BLOG

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 1