Sketchbook: Maestro Andres' SB - June 1 - Page 3
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: Maestro Andres' SB - June 1

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    that 3d heads look great i really like the many details on it, makes it interesting to look at!
    anatomy looks fine as well, just go on with it gogogo!

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey man, your skeletal studies aren't half bad. The mudbox heads though, leaves me a bit uncertain. I have the feeling that you are just dumping in details because with mudbox and zbrush, it's so easy to do so.

I have only just got back to the modelling scene after a very long absence, so I don't know what modelling is like nowadays. Maybe this is just some kind of concept sculpt exercise for you? Because it seems like those heads will be really tough to rig lol.

In any case, keep up the good work man!!

Maestro Andres is offline It's just a nickname, still too far from being one... Level 7 Gladiator: Samnite
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sawa Thanks
    CouchPotato You are right about your observation on the heads. I was basically playing around with those, practicing in Mudbox. I don't believe I will used them at all. On the other hand, just making them could serve as a way to make nice sculpture concepts, who knows...

So just been practicing doing more skeleton studies. I think I got this idea maybe from Seedling's thread or someone else, about in order to keep it interesting, draw your study and then repeat it adding your own thing to it. The figures were obviously ref but add some clothes and stuff to them.

Attached Images Attached Images      
    SKETCHBOOK SUPPORTGROUP #48
    Maestro Andres | CouchPotato | Mono2k5 | Sawa | 0shade0

"The aim of figure drawing is never to copy the model but to analyze it." - sfa

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey man, your skulls aren't half bad. Just watch out for some proportional issues with the couple of figures you have. The lady in the first pic has legs that are a mite too short.

Keep it up man!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good studies, this is what gets you growing.. keep it up!
    SKETCH SKETCH SKETCH!!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey dude, nice sketchbook here man. for the last studies I'd have to say, watch those heavy outlines cause they'll make the subject look flat very easily, and for the rest push those values a bit harder.
    the skull bottem left on the second page is spot on.
    Overall I wanted to say that you have an amazing worklust, and it's nice to see your studies of all different parts of drawing without loosing focus.

Old sketchbook: 0shade0

Maestro Andres is offline It's just a nickname, still too far from being one... Level 7 Gladiator: Samnite
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    CouchPotato Thanks for the observation man. Legs are something which I have a problem getting right, usually in their length. But must work hard.

mono2k5 Thanks for the support man .

0shade0 That's a great observation! I understand what you mean, and usually had stop getting rid of my outlines just for not spending the extra time. I usually draw with a 2h pencil and an hb lead mechanical pencil. I had been avoid darker tones because it usually becomes a mess, but should use them from now on.

Another update, an study of foreshortening, life drawings and renders of guns I modeled and textured. The life drawings look odd because we got this assignment of making a composition with them, so I cut them from the original paper and put them on a green toned one. Seriously with this, I will appreciate any suggestions and observations of what I need to improve in my life drawings.

Lastly, guns are lame. I suck at unwrapping UVs, but I am very interested in texturing I actually learn in the last days how to use Zbrush to paint directly on the model, which is pretty sweet and kinda limited. Zbrush is a nice piece of software. This tough, were made on Mudbox and Maya.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hi dude. i like the the perspective studies, nice rendering on them
    with the life drawings, i think in some of them the proportions arent that right... take a look at loomis, he explains the proportions quite well i think. heres an example:

if you keep in mind that the head fits 8 times into the whole figure its easy to check quickly if you got you proportions right while drawing

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Sawa For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This update is pretty cool Maestro! The drawings are a very good attempt.

The guns though, look like they come from some 1970s sci-fi movie lol. Probably you should take a closer look at things like Halo 3 or what not for ideas.

Also, well, this is purely my own opinion, but I do not think it is a good idea to use zbrush or mudbox to do hard surface modelling. As I said though, just my own opinion haha.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sawa That's very useful info man! I will keep in mind that for my life drawings. Thanks for the guide, you remind I have to start doing Loomis pretty soon.
    CouchPotato Men, Halo 3?? Don't even get me started j/k Still it's true what you said for design, those big games are nice for inspiration. About hard surface modeling, you are probably right, zbrush and mudbox are more useful for organic and adding details. In any case, those guns were very good practice for trying those software

Here is an update.
    Name:  chars.jpg
Views: 261
Size:  21.3 KBName:  ultraviolet.jpg
Views: 365
Size:  35.9 KB
    I watched the new Resident Evil, and truly love that costume that Alice was wearing, so I decided to draw it just for fun. Ironically, for pose reference, I use this picture of the same actress in Ultraviolet. (BTW, didn't like that much the movie, but Milla Jovovich was freaking hot as always )

The last one is a sketch for the last Nightmare of the week, which never made it mainly because I was having a hard time having the two characters interact the way I want it. It is still bad tough
    Name:  skeleton.jpg
Views: 340
Size:  72.1 KB
    Name:  hands.jpg
Views: 341
Size:  74.6 KB
    Name:  now5.jpg
Views: 345
Size:  62.0 KB

Last edited by Maestro Andres; October 17th, 2007 at 12:21 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey man nice update i like the hand studies.
    on the first page, the neck looks a bit too big in the back of his head...
    keep up with the anatomy

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Those hands look really good man. I've been slacking on my drawings recently, i really need to find time from somewhere lol.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    buen trabajo. me han gustado las figuras sobre el fondo verde, se ven interesante. continua estudiando la figura, es solo cuestion de tiempo.

continua trabajando
    saludos

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sawa, CouchPotato Thanks guys, I'll keep it up. I thought the fingers on the hand look too bulky, probably because mine are very thing haha

DIMAGYAN Gracias por visitar y el apoyo. Si estoy propuesto a dedicarme a aprender bastante sobre como dibujar la figura. Estaba pensando tambien en seguir algunos de tus ejercicios en tu mentor thread, si no hay algun problema?
    Lo del fondo verde es un collage de figura, lo he de terminar manana y ahi lo pongo aqui.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
    DIMAGYAN Thanks for the visit and support. Yeah, of now, that's one of my goals to learn how to draw the human figure. I was thinking on following some of your exercises in your mentor thread, hopefully you don't mind
    The figures on the green background is a collage, I should be finished with it by tomorrow. I will upload the end result.

So here is small update. More studies, and a skeleton drawn from a real one in life drawing class. Still playing with Zbrush as well.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quite good sketch work, you are a very diligent guy, so I like you very much of work, hope you to continue of put up more works!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    windlee Thanks for the support dude.

Being doing a lot of 3d work this weekend. Finally figure it out (after many hours of tutorial and videos ) how to use displacement maps from Mudbox to Maya. Here are some the results. Also finish this collage for class, and decide to do a painted version in photoshop.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey man!
    i really like the design of you sword stuff there i dont know anythin about 3d so cant give u any advice there, sorry!
    the collage looks interesting as well just go on

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow, you got a lot of updates man! wish I was back in school too lol, so I can actually spend time improving my art instead of struggling to maintain it haha.

Those Loomis studies look really good man. I can barely tell the difference between the ones you drew and the ones in the pdf lol.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Too much procrastination...

Sawa, CouchPotato Thanks guys . Cool SB group support, we should come up with a name or something.

In the good sense of course, gotta work on this lip sync project for an animation class but so far I just been spending my time drawing (uuhh the consequences...)

Trying to hit hard some Loomis. At the same time repeated those poses to create lame character designs. The last girls are just done from ref.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey dude studies are looking great, especially the first one.
    go on with them they start to show

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm starting to see some really polished gems there! Keep up the good work!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sawa, Couch Potato, thanks for the support guys, must practice hard for the workshop, if I get to go

Just an update. The hands might look of bad quality because the picture didn't turn out that well Those were done from life with the approach of doing a geometric, structural analysis and full values. Last one, is bust sculpted in Mudbox with the idea of textured and rendered in Maya, but I have been experiencing unforseen problems with Mental Ray, oh well, it was actually fun, like drawing a bust in 3d

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey man nice update!
    the hands are really great, i love your rendering its very realistic in most of your pieces
    though on the 2nd page the rendering on the woman doesnt look that confident... when rendering and drawing from mind in general, try to remember to simplify the figures into blocks etc.
    dont have nuthin more to crit here... the other studies are good, right proportions etc. go on

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Life drawing dump

Sawa thanks for the comments and suggestions. That women was done with ref but I kinda slack at pushing the values (just sticked with my 2H pencil). But I'll definitively use that for rendering from imagination.

So finally took picture of my life drawing works done during the last few weeks. Any suggestion and critique on what I might need to improve from now on.

(thanks Sawa for your last comment about head/body proportions, I am keeping that in mind with my current drawings )

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    great stuff, no comments really. Just keep em coming!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nice update mate
    i dont see anything i can crit here, looks all fine to me so far
    keep on

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    mono2k5, Sawa thanks mates

So it has been a busy week. Not too much of traditional work, but finally got to do some this weekend.

Name:  torso2.jpg
Views: 260
Size:  35.7 KB
    Studies
    Name:  grandma.jpg
Views: 263
Size:  35.3 KB
    Somebody very special to me , done from a reference picture. It will serve as the base for something I want to paint in Photoshop later.

The rest are the busts I sculpt in Mudbox, probably useless for rigging and animation, but they were fun to do. Textured in Zbrush + PSD. Rendered in Maya.
    Name:  bust1b.jpg
Views: 271
Size:  20.9 KB
    Name:  bust1c.jpg
Views: 258
Size:  26.7 KB
    Name:  bust2a.jpg
Views: 259
Size:  16.1 KB
    Name:  bust2b.jpg
Views: 258
Size:  20.1 KB

Just as an extra, a Homer Simpson head I created from scratch for a lyp synch exercise, where he is singing the Spider Pig song lol, if interested I can post the link to it.
    Name:  homer.jpg
Views: 260
Size:  8.2 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    the pencil drawings are great, dont know much about 3d, but the colors dont really work for me.. nice job though on texture

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Maestro, it's been a while. Your drawings aren't half bad. The latest batch of nude drawings are pretty good. You seem to really be getting the hang of zbrush (or is it mudbox?) lol. Man, the zbrush interface is really giving me premature white hairs. Oh well.

The bunch of mudbox models you have atm, the girl with 3 eyes and the robot guy...I'm not sure if the character designs are working for me all that well. It seems half-way stuck between something that can really look seriously good, but then you went and gave it a really cartoony feel. The...I'm not sure what it is, the hair? or brain? of the 3-eyed chick is really throwing me off. I don't know what it's supposed to be, but it sure looks like some crazy afro hair-do for me man, and I honestly can't take anyone or anything with an afro hair-do seriously lol.

The robot guy is too small-sized. The proportions he has now looks like something you'd see in a Saturday morning cartoon, which is a pity, because for a short moment there, it reminded me of something from the Bio-Boosted Armour Guyver manga series. The artist sucks at drawing people, but his monster designs are top-notch man, I seriously suggest you check it out. Your 3-eyed chick seems like it could do with some H.R. Giger influence dude!

Anyhow, keep up the good work! As for the stuff about balance between low-res, high-res thingamajiggy, let me take a couple of days to work out a better explanation and I'll put it here in your SB lol. Until then, keep on drawing!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey dude
    the figure drawings are awesome! i really dig yuor rendering style
    on the 3d stuff i can only second what couch potato said.
    i have no idea about 3d but concerning the colors etc i think hes quite right
    keep on man

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 1