Sketchbook: Maestro Andres' SB - June 1 - Page 2

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    lennon Thanks for the kudos man, if you haven't try it yet, give it a shot at using oils, it is a very fun medium!

So here is a worthless update for today, I am trying to get back in shape since I have been slacking way too long this summer. I am attending these local life drawings session on wednesdays, so here is the result so far from those. Each one was in a 20 min time frame.

Lastly, some small sketches I did using the graffiti application in the Facebook (a social community site similar to MySpace.) For those not familiar with this application, it has very simple options, just a brush tool with opacity and size settings, with a web color palette. Basically that's it, very simple, and is vector based since it's basically an application made in Flash. Anyways, just wanted to share.

I will upload some more serious stuff in the following days.

Attached Images Attached Images            
    SKETCHBOOK SUPPORTGROUP #48
    Maestro Andres | CouchPotato | Mono2k5 | Sawa | 0shade0

"The aim of figure drawing is never to copy the model but to analyze it." - sfa
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi all, just been drawing from pictures these days just to keep the drawing routine going on.
    The eye was draw using this reference pic
    The dogs studies were done from pictures I took of a friend's dogs. I liked those Siberian huskies

P.D: I tweak around a little bit the levels in Photoshop since the scans were appearing way too light.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some doodles from yesterday...Enjoy

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice sketchbook. Your paintings are very good. It's nice to see your new environmental drawings. It shows you have diversity in skill =)

Everyone's creative acts, whatever they may be, make constructive form out of the apparent formlessness of our lives ~ Rollo May

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=97920

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great varied sketchbook. I like for the dog drawings that you took your own reference photos instead of getting them from an outside source. And it shows in the drawings. They look pretty damn realistic and the value contrast is great. Try to apply that to all your drawing. State those main shadow masses strongly

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Shobunkin Thanks man!
    ArtznCraphs Thanks man for the suggestions. I took those pictures sometime ago but I just got to work from them recently. It really helps a lot knowing what you are drawing since you have a better undestanding. Thanks for stopping by!

An small drawing I did for a friend of mine based on a picture. Is kinda like a "photomanipulation" type of thing since based on the original picture I dressed them with the clothes of Zelda and Link, which was quite challenging but entertaining as well I have to change the girl's hand too since it was on another position. I have a hard time with the faces, since it was a last minute decision when I realize that they weren't looking that much like them and decide to spend the extra time to rework them. I don't think I got the guy's face right, and I did re do it a couple of times seems it seems smaller than the girl's face. Anyways, this reminds me I need to work more on portraiture. Any C&C about are welcome!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Lately just being learning the basics for drawing faces since before I never took the guideline approach for faces. Some of these are drawn from references while others are not, probably you can tell which

Also some small 3 point perspective since I never down that before, fun fun fun!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    BEAUTIFUL dogs. Well done. I'll definately be checking in on this one.

Thanks for commenting in my thread.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ex Nihilo Thanks man!

So i been learning the basics for drawing faces using guidelines. This time I was practicing with profile views.

Also, I did a portrait of a friend from a picture in order to get back in practice in Photoshop. I rarely paint directly with color, so this was a good exercise of that and I have to be honest, whenever I was lost I use the eyedropper tool just to see what color it was in the picture but I did not use straight colors from the original picture. This was enjoyable because the main intent of this was to make fun of my friend by creating a version with huge ears . I am not posting that version though, as Dave Naville says in his painting flesh DVD: "To protect the innocent, it's only fair".

Any C&C on the portrait is highly welcome. Time to practice, practice, practice!

Last edited by Maestro Andres; July 8th, 2007 at 06:44 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

El Pato!!! (means "Duck")

Just trying new styles and new programs for a change. This is the first work I have ever done using Painter 9, and now I see why people love this program. I used the main pastel brush just to keep everything simple. For the clouds, I just look outside my window for reference (weather is so nice ) and look at some ducks pictures just to understand ducks, that counting a rubber duck I bought some time ago. Also it was practice about painting with color, any C&C are welcome.

Last edited by Maestro Andres; July 15th, 2007 at 03:41 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi Armaldon, thanks for stopping by my SB. You seem to have a good sence for value and colors. You made some really nice renderings in pencil and the paintings look very good too. I also like the dogs you drew! Maybe you could try to devellop a better linework: by varying line thickness you can convey a lot of depth information. Keep up the good work!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Bartovan Thanks man for stopping by and for the suggestion.

Now, just uploading some stuff I had been working recently. The first too are from an artwork I was doing for a contest in DA by fellow deviant artist, Reiq. It consisted in drawing his character Alex in anyway we want. I went for a realistic style, which make me spent like two weeks on this. I did some variations such as the smile and visor, but the smile didn't come that good. The face was a hell to do, since I did it like 6 times, and in each, it look like a different person, but it was fun since I learned how the face features can indicate a person's age etc. I included some of the many faces variations I had here. C&C are welcome on this.

I just couldn't get the Spider Pig scene from the Simpsons Movie, so I had to make a quick painting about it. Was good to practice some foreshortening and one point perspective. By the way, that movie is just so funny!!!

Now must get back to finish my CHOW piece....

Last edited by Maestro Andres; August 4th, 2007 at 03:30 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quick update, just wanted to post my CHOW piece. It is the first one I have done, and it feels very satisfying since it was for a good cause, a tribute to Glen Angus. Too bad, I won't be here for the voting, since there are some amazing pieces and everyone should check them out!

It was fun to work on this, and I will definitively fix it later. It is high res, and here I included some closeups and another variation. C&C are welcome.

Last edited by Maestro Andres; August 6th, 2007 at 10:12 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi there,

You visited my sketchbook so I thought I would return the compliment!

It's great to see such a huge variety of styles here, you seem very passionate about art which is excellent. I love the paintings on canvas and all the pencil studies too.

The work you've done in Maya of the space ship hanger is really good. 3D work is something I would really love to learn in the future, keep up all the good work, you're doing really well so far. ^_^

Cx

Thanks
    Thanked 1,567 Times in 753 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Hey. Lot's of cool new art since my last visit. Still life paintings caught my attention at first page. Think more about where you want to lead the eye of the viewer. Some parts could have less contrast, saturation while others could work as focal points.
    The last Chow piece has nice composition. Keep it up.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Chermilla Wow, thanks for the kind words about being passionate about art, while so far I only thought of being obsessed with it! hehe. Thank you for stopping by .

Farvus Thanks man for the advice. So far I have focus more on getting better compositions and getting better at painting including adding textures, that I have neglect the aspect of the visual flow. I will keep that in mind for future works.

Kind of an update. I still have this bad habit of making fun of my friends because it really motivates me to paint. So I paint this about my friend which nickname is "La Rana" (Frog) but I prefer to call him "Dr. Frogger" since he is in med school .

Anyways, I included the original black and white copy, with the original picture. I am still using guides to get my proportions better . I am still practicing adding textures which I tried here for the skin. This exercise also allow me to paint water for the first time, it is something I will have to practice in the future as well.

Thanks for watching.

Last edited by Maestro Andres; August 24th, 2007 at 10:29 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    MaxoftheSouth Thanks man, though don't know to which specifically you refer too

Small dump of what I have being doing lately. Basically, some work for life drawing class; made a SP trying to imitate the Gorillaz band art style; and the sketch and final version of my entry to last week CHOW, done with prismacolors, woodless pencils and watercolors. It has a lot of anatomy flaws but surely helped as a reality check since it shows my current knowledge in anatomy, now that I did it without using refs.

Must focus on that from now on...

Note-to-self: Improve to get cleaner pencilwork.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    just got done looking through your things, awesome work man you show alot of progress from the beginning of the year. the alien room render is amazing, we are going to crank out a lot of badass shit on this project

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    schlichte Thanks man for the kudos. I hope too we can get that project going on, looks very promising.

So this is small update. Some sketches just to realize that my knowledge of anatomy sucks hehe, therefore I will begin doing more serious anatomy studies besides my life drawing class.
    Name:  sketches.jpg
Views: 353
Size:  34.9 KB
    Name:  sketches2.jpg
Views: 368
Size:  31.2 KB
    And lastly, I start going into this event called Nightmare of the Week, looks very interesting since now I can try to come up with the craziest and freakiest monster, creatures and textures I can imagine. Probably one day they could be scariest as the ones in Silent Hill . So I create this freak/monster called Deva based on an old design I made a few years ago. Still love her...
    Name:  deva.jpg
Views: 360
Size:  141.5 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    compatriota! buen trabajo.. tus estudios anatómicos son lo que mas me sorprenden. disculpa si me pregunta sale de los contextos del sketchbook, pero en que parte del país vives? sigue el buen trabajo!

"Nihil est in intellectu quod non prius in sensu" | SB | Portfolio | FJGC (blog) | DA (Profile) | EJERCICIOS DE COLOR

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    GriNGoLoCo Gracias por visitar compatriota. Me sorprende encontrarme a alguien de mi tierra en estos lados. Por cierto, soy de Guayaquil.

Hopefully it is a worthy upload, just practicing some and trying to improve my linework by drawing with a pen. The anatomy things were done from life and the help of a mirror. With that, I throw some kind of concept work for characters that some group in college was requested. It was such a good practice!

Anyways, please critique away, I'll post some staff later
    Name:  hands.jpg
Views: 352
Size:  55.4 KB Name:  rudy.jpg
Views: 343
Size:  58.2 KB
    Name:  monkey-sketches.jpg
Views: 357
Size:  103.4 KBName:  director-sketches.jpg
Views: 351
Size:  109.7 KB
    Name:  scientist-nerd.jpg
Views: 340
Size:  67.4 KBName:  scientist-sketches.jpg
Views: 339
Size:  107.6 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here some work from life drawing class, studies, etc. First time I did orthographic views for character I designed, it is kinda crappy but I don't have idea how it is usually produced. Use photoshop to have help with the guidelines to have everything match.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    those knee studies are awesome.. what did you ref those from? Im not too sure about your toony style characters, i tihnk they lack an easy first 'read', maybe look at their silhouette and make it a bit more disersified?

anyways keep it up

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    smartkyle Cheers for the comment man. Those knee studies are done for my life drawing class. These are part of a weekly assignments on 18" x 24" paper. I do these from handouts that the instructor gave me, I believe from the Atlas of Anatomy for Artists by Barscay. You are right about the chars, I should practice some more thumbnails for doing them .

Anyways here is some more, the chars kinda suck but must practice thumbnails more now. To compensate that, here is a mini comic of animation I did for class with the ball bouncing and with sound, kinda sucky but I hope it is entertaining to somebody.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ALot of great work! very nice

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    2^ nice little men, but they look a lot like eachother, try and break free from one kind of drawing, just pick a detail, and draw further on that, it doesnt matter if it looks like shit, or unrealistic, it'll give you inspiration.
    Good stuff further!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    that oil paintings are awesome! your pencil rendering is very neat too
    as mono said, try to make your figures look like individual persons. try to highlight out the differences between them, i think that would also give more life to them!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I don't think at the moment I can really give you anything besides encouragement lol. Your progression is really great! I love the dogs, keep it up man!

(Oh, maybe I do have something for you after all. I don't use Maya so I don't really know how it works, but you might want to try using ambient occlusion to soften some of the lighting in your scene. Render a diffuse layer, then render an ambient occlusion pass, and blend them in Photoshop with multiply. That's if you don't already know the trick haha).

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Eponine Thanks
    Sawa & CouchPotato Thanks for the comments guys. It's true, should work more on thumbnails and silhouettes. It's great being part of an SB group, thanks for the invite.
    mono2k5 Thanks for the trick man, I will keep that in mind for the next time I render.

Basically, I decide to get off my lazy ass and dedicate to do anatomy studies from now on. I am beginning with skeleton parts now, doing studies from Schider's Atlas of Anatomy. I will move on to muscles when I am done with these.

Also playing a little with mudbox, is much fun and easy to use.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.