Sketchbook: It's a Big Conceptual Leaf!!!!!! Your criticisms and comments would be meditated on!!

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

It's a Big Conceptual Leaf!!!!!! Your criticisms and comments would be meditated on!!

Let's see, I guess I've always wanted to learn how to draw but it wasn't until about 2 months ago when I was hanging out with some friends from an art college that I really got interested, looking for tutorials, getting some pencils and copying the pictures here at home and trying to do the things my 15 year old younger brother who draws does. A lot of threads here in conceptart have really inspired me, especially mindcandy man's sketchbook. Anyway, I suck at this a lot but I'm hoping to improve as time goes on. I hope to have daily updates here, or at least to continue drawing daily and just scan and upload works every couple of days.

These images are just some exercises I did recently, one has a bunch of heads from a hogarth's book and a copy of a leonardo drawing, the other is a wip of me trying to copy caravaggio's amor victorious which I first saw in the open figure drawing workshop thread. Ooof, not so good, I know, and I guess I also have to learn how to scan better and do those post-scanning adjustment thingies. I guess smoother paper works for me, too, as when I scan something the grain of the paper really shows through. Much more with my earlier drawings. Some other things I should do more of in the coming days include drawing from life and learning perspective and making sp's and stuff. Feel free to criticize and comment on me drawings, I'll need them. Anyways, thanks guys and back to drawing. :-)

It's a Big Conceptual Leaf!!!!!! Your criticisms and comments would be meditated on!!

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by accretion; February 13th, 2007 at 12:16 AM. Reason: How does one place an avatar here, errr...
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just some new sketches and stuff.

I made it a point to start to do some life drawing since I've only been trying to draw mostly from photoreferences.

I wanted to do something fun and experiment so I thought about using my left hand to draw with a ballpoint pen using crosshatching (which I have no idea how to do... yet). Didn't come out so well, of course, he he, but it was interesting anyway. Throughout the first couple of minutes my hand wouldn't really move at all except for a very little way up and down, I had to will it to move. Move fingers! Cooperate!
    Below that is me trying to draw my left hand, pencil.

This is a pretty bad copy of a helnwein work, I was trying to learn how to draw with a ballpoint pen, make my lines more deliberate and all that. Man, I really need to learn how to crosshatch, too.

A self-portrait. Me leaning on a cabinet trying to have part of me seen in the mirror. Pretty uncomfortable pose. I could have gotten a chair from the other room and set it up in front of the mirror but that would have entailed me having to walk all the way from my room to the other room and back again. About twenty minutes, I guess. The drawing, not the walk. :-)

Me trying to draw Frazzetta and a wip of of Michelangelo's Pieta.

Just trying to get some practice, I was sort of using the sharingan (it's a naruto anime term, something like copy eyes) to copy a friend's drawing, he has this style of drawing with lots of strange textures. About 4 minutes, I guess.

An old wip of a masters copy of Biondina which I wanted to make for the open figure drawing workshop thread last january. I guess I should finish it, too. It's a Big Conceptual Leaf!!!!!! Your criticisms and comments would be meditated on!!

And that's it for now. I guess I should work on constructing the face better, then do some more life drawings. I still can't draw faces without any sort of reference and I do want to improve more and not just copy pictures at this point. I also am trying to understand more about this 3d-ness of things. I've been thinking of concentrating solely on life drawing for a while too. Anyways, back to practicing. :-)

Last edited by accretion; October 14th, 2007 at 10:37 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A cow, a hogarth's body and some crappy girl faces (was supposed to look like a celebrity crush, but didn't even have one bit of likeness). So hard, this drawing thing. Anyways, still learning.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Was trying to learn draperies today. At some point I remembered what Vilppu said about pretending that you were an ant crawling over the surface of whatever you were drawing and I guess something just clicked in my head and I started thinking of the drawing as an actual 3d thing instead of just, say, this plane/paper. So, it's like okay I'm drawing on paper but holding the pencil now feels more like, 'sliding' over the shape of what you're drawing. It's still really hard to explain to myself, I guess, but I'm just noting it here bloglike so's I can hopefully remember it next time.

Was just doing a study of a Phil Hale work. What everybody's been saying about not thinking of the form as, say, an eye, or an eyebrow and instead thinking of something as a line or something really made sense here after drawing. The eyebrow on the right was supposed to be pointing at about a little lower than in the 3 o'clock position but I immediately drew it at about the 1 o'clock position. That's a mistake with angle-measurement at about 90 degrees! And why did I make such a big mistake? Because the idea of "raised eyebrow" from the original was in my head even before attempting to draw. So, I guess, lesson learned here is try to look at forms and shapes without preconceptions. As usual, crits and comments are welcome and wanted. :-)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just some sketches of a couple of friends. Didn't turn out as well as I hoped, but a slight bit better from when I last tried to draw them. From photorefs, too.

Name:  feb0207a.jpg
Views: 482
Size:  38.8 KB

Name:  nina feb 2.jpg
Views: 496
Size:  56.9 KB

Last edited by accretion; February 2nd, 2007 at 12:33 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Looking good here.
    I really like the Biondina drawing, I know it's still a WIP but I think it's really strong the way it is right now showing only a fragment of the face, although her lefteye should be a tad to the left (her right), there's too much space between both eyes right now.
    Just keep at it and you'll do fine

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks Rudeone! Just visited your sketchbook as well, you rock, man! I was trying to finish the Biondina for the mixed masters workshop but sort of stopped since I didn't know how to draw hair back then, he he. It's probably the oldest image I have here in this thread, too.

Here's just a bunch of new drawings. The first is a copy of a michelangelo. Below that has a bunch of really bad ballpen sp's from looking at the mirror. Well, this shows the disparity between my stuff from photorefs and when I actually try to draw without copying from pics. I suck, he he. But then, I actually feel more challenged by the idea of me being bad at drawing now, if I get better at it even a tiny bit, it'll be so worth it. :-) I'm doing a bunch more of these sp's tonight and posting them tomorrow.

Name:  feb0307a.jpg
Views: 467
Size:  84.9 KB

The first sp is the one at the middle, the next is the one at the right then the one at the left.

Name:  feb0307b.jpg
Views: 447
Size:  36.0 KB
    Fourth sp.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Pretty good for someone who just started a couple of months ago. Welcome to CA. Doing great on your referenced pieces. A good way to improve is to draw from life, do figure studies, and anatomy studies. Try some Loomis anatomy books. They are free over the internet.

Heres a link to them.
    http://www.fineart.sk

Hope they help out a bit. Keep on posting.

"Imagination is more important than knowledge"- Albert Einstein

Eric wants to LEARN! Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    woohoo another pinoy!

Just keep drawing from life. You'll get better results.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Envisor: Thank you so much, although I actually have the Loomis books too courtesy of my brother. I really have to start studying them again, last time I tried though (about late December) I guess I wasn't ready yet, as I couldn't really start thinking of objects and faces and bodies in 3d. Maybe this time I'll be able to understand 'em a bit better, plus a lot more life drawing is exactly what I need. :-) To the park, I think I'll go later and draw.

Patdzon: Yo, what's up! Yep, I'll be drawing ALOT more from life from now on. Am starting with the mirror sp's, then I'll be drawing other people more often too. I'm pretty slow at the moment when I'm not drawing from photorefs so the big plan I got was to start drawing more sleeping people. Creepy, maybe, he he. :-) Also, I believe I'll be going to churches more often to draw sitting people and statues. Hey, I'm actually 1/4th Dizon myself, if that's your surname, he he.

Here's a bunch more sp's from early this morning. I guess all I'm going for at the moment is to be a tiny bit better with each one, although the last sp was a step backward. Anyways, you learn just as much from failures as from successes, I think.

Name:  feb0407.jpg
Views: 432
Size:  84.9 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by accretion
    Patdzon: Yo, what's up! Yep, I'll be drawing ALOT more from life from now on. Am starting with the mirror sp's, then I'll be drawing other people more often too. I'm pretty slow at the moment when I'm not drawing from photorefs so the big plan I got was to start drawing more sleeping people. Creepy, maybe, he he. :-) Also, I believe I'll be going to churches more often to draw sitting people and statues. Hey, I'm actually 1/4th Dizon myself, if that's your surname, he he.

Great! You're on the right track. If you check out my SB, you'll notice that I sketch a lot of people sleeping, eating, sitting, reading ,etc. hehe. And don't worry about being slow at first cuz its better than doing quick, mindless sketching.

Where do you live?

BTW, you're right. Im a Dizon hehe.

Pls check out our Local Grp thread regularly, too. Thanks

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just a couple more sp's, hopefully nearing the passably-not-lame stage. :-)

Name:  feb0507a.jpg
Views: 392
Size:  43.6 KB

Name:  feb0507b.jpg
Views: 384
Size:  35.4 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    try to get good lighting for your self-portraits. like, use a lamp so your lighting is controlled and stable. Pay attention to how light hits form. You should have your( starting from the terminator) :
    highlights<-- light-lights <-- dark-lights<--terminator --> reflected light--> and finally, the cast shadow.

The terminator is the part on the form where the light stops and the shadow begins. so there is no light there at all. It's the darkest region on the form aside from the cast shadow. After the terminator, when the form starts to turn away from the light, reflected light will come into play. It is light that bounces of surrounding surfaces and it's reflected onto the surface of the form. In the light region of the form, you have your highlight, light-light and dark light. The latter two are generally considered to be called as half-tones or mid-tones, but you must remember that these two are in the light, not in shadow. The highlight is where the light is most intense. It's the part on the form where it receives the most direct light.

As form turns towards the light, it gets lighter. As it turns away from the light, it gets darker. Also, as light travels it diminishes. It loses its intensity. For example, let's say you have placed to 2 spheres on a flat surface and you have light that is coming from the left. The sphere that is nearest the light will receive most of it than the sphere next to it, which is farthest from the light.

I would recommend purchasing this book: http://www.tonyryder.com/a-book.htm

Meron yan sa Fullybooked. Kung walang stock, you order it from them.

later!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks Pat, I'll make sure to do that later. The biggest problem I guess I had involved the lighting, it was just a bit too dark in my room and I couldn't see much, like where my neck ends and where my jaw begins and stuff like that. On the other hand maybe I could have incorporated that in my drawing too.

Yeah, I really have to take note of the tones a lot more. I'll check out fullybooked maybe tomorrow, although I'll probably just look at the book and marvel at it, then hopefully I'll have cash next week. By the way, am from Marikina.

Off to draw...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks Pat, I'll make sure to do that later. The biggest problem I guess I had involved the lighting, it was just a bit too dark in my room and I couldn't see much, like where my neck ends and where my jaw begins and stuff like that. On the other hand maybe I could have incorporated that in my drawing too.

Yeah. You should have. Lesson learned there! It's a good idea not to draw what you don't see. What I mean by that is don't do guess work.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well, just reached my second month of drawing yesterday. Yaaay me! That's 2 months of coffee, lots of snacks and chocolates, a 2-month break from writing short stories, generally not a lot of going out, and drawing for at least an hour everyday. Learned a lot these past couple, though I'm not even half a percent of how good I actually want to be one day (years and years from now if I continue to work hard), I feel I've progressed a bit, specially since I was drawing like a third grader before all this. (Now I'm a fifth grader, he he). Also, to remember: drawing seems to burn lots of calories for me. Weird, with the amount of food I've been eating and the non-occurrence of any other exercise, I thought I was going to get a lot fatter.

Name:  feb0607.jpg
Views: 352
Size:  28.2 KB
    Just a really, really quick sketch of my grandmother taking a nap on a sofa.

Name:  feb0807.jpg
Views: 419
Size:  68.6 KB
    Practicing some more ballpen life drawing. Our cat, dog, racing fzllhef and what's supposed to be a leaf.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just a bunch of sketches.

A couple at the park. There was another couple I started drawing and they were errr touching and stuff, but I had to quit since I thought they saw me checking them out and scribbling. Still, I could have taken the guy on.

Name:  feb0807b.jpg
Views: 528
Size:  27.0 KB

Learning from Loomis again. Pretty hard, but I'll keep at this. Maybe drawing gestures Loomis or Vilppu style too whenever I'm free or just sitting on the bus.
    Name:  feb0807c.jpg
Views: 518
Size:  85.6 KB
    Name:  feb0807d.jpg
Views: 361
Size:  27.2 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Supposed to be Dave McKean. Just drew this for fun in between learning the basics, and since I haven't drawn anything from photoreference for about a week now. About actual size, ballpen.

Name:  feb0907.jpg
Views: 346
Size:  25.7 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just some more images.

This one's from my first sketchmeet with the Philippine CA.org members, Hawkwin and Patdzon. Good times. Yeah, good times.
    Name:  feb1007a.jpg
Views: 320
Size:  38.7 KB

Another SP, ballpoint pen. Still learning.
    Name:  feb1007c.jpg
Views: 326
Size:  41.8 KB
    Back to drawin.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, that's me! Hehe

Keep it up!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just my hand. Slacked off a bit today so I'll be drawing some more the rest of the night. Off to any cafe tomorrow too, to do some life drawing.

Name:  feb1107.jpg
Views: 315
Size:  27.2 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great start! You sure have big potential! Draw!

~B. Klarić
    ---SSG#46---
    Blaz ł MarkWinters ł petitemistressł sfa ł Shmaba
    -

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey accretion, the latest posts show your really improving, and its nice to see that your dedicated to wanting to draw. I don't really know what to say other than it seems you enjoy drawing in pen, which is great, maybe try checking out shading techniques, i can see you crosshatch and maybe try using it more on your faces which btw are looking good. I love to draw in pen too and love to see sketches with good cross hatching, so much detail. Also if you could get any life drawing it would be great, or try drawing other people's faces from photo reference or something, because although your SPs look good its good to experience different facial structures ect. on both male and female. So yeah its all looking very nice, keep on drawing!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Patdzon: he he, yep, that's you. Can't wait for our next sketchmeet, I'm training my life drawing abilities these days whenever I'm out of the house.

Blaz: Thanks dude, yep, I'll just draw and draw like crazy.

Drunknmunky: Yep I really like ballpen, specially when I'm drawing outside as I won't have to sharpen or use a sandpaper pointer. I guess I started using pen to make my strokes more deliberate specially with the contours as you can't rely on erasing anymore. A friend from art school is recommending I go back to using the pencil more often, though, probably because I could learn tones faster and, well, I'll be able to erase again. So, I'll be doing pen half the time and pencils half the time. Yeah, I know what you mean, I want to be able to draw pretty detailed stuff with pen and crosshatching later on too! Keep on drawing too dude!

Here are some new drawings from when I was just sitting at the cafeteria or in front of the library earlier.

(Yes, they're pretty crappy, but I'm still new to this drawing other people as they're walking by or sitting around thing. I'm hoping I could train my eyes to capture more detail soon.)

Name:  feb1207b.jpg
Views: 311
Size:  19.3 KB

Name:  feb1207a.jpg
Views: 290
Size:  17.4 KB

Name:  feb1207c.jpg
Views: 346
Size:  28.3 KB

Name:  feb1207d.jpg
Views: 344
Size:  27.9 KB

And here's my newest SP. I was going to do shading to emphasize the planes of the face but I was still in my badly lighted room and my whole face was swimming in shadow. I'll try to do better shading next time. 3B and 5B pencil, mirror.

Name:  feb1207f.jpg
Views: 326
Size:  46.9 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Children's books

Okay, now I have an idea of where I want to go first with this art thing. I'm going to be an illustrator for children's books. Not a maybe, or might be or try to be; it's pretty solid, I'll do this.

Who would have thought the 1920's illustrators were THAT good?
    http://www.nocloo.com
    That Arthur Rackham is a geniusman. I'm even more madly inspired again. Okay, off to draw...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Your best SP yet!

Might I suggest sketching people who are less likely to move. A good practice I did was that I kept sketching my family members while they were sleeping. This allowed me to focus on their contour. Sooner or later, I got more used to sketching people who tend to move a lot. My observation of the contour improved, and I started to observe things more quickly.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Children's books

Okay, now I have an idea of where I want to go first with this art thing. I'm going to be an illustrator for children's books. Not a maybe, or might be or try to be; it's pretty solid, I'll do this.

Who would have thought the 1920's illustrators were THAT good?
    http://www.nocloo.com
    That Arthur Rackham is a geniusman. I'm even more madly inspired again. Okay, off to draw...

That sounds GREAT! Good luck!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, thanks Pat! Yep, I'll start with perfecting contours next attempts.

Just something from photoref, an old 70s or so photo of a local actress. Eyes too far apart, as usual. Okay, back to drawing from life...

Name:  feb1607.jpg
Views: 414
Size:  39.7 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That is a vast improvement from first to last post!
    perhaps a few skull studies?

keep it up mate!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    kala ko si Angel Locsin! O si Nora? heh

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.