Jessica Alba
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Jessica Alba

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Jessica Alba

Hello, just a drawing of jessica alba, it took about 45 mins, hope that you like it and hope you post any crits or comments, if not thanks again for looking. I messed up on her face a little, but a still looks decent i think, plus i think i made her back kind of short.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    "The headstrong may win many battles...
    But only the strong of heart will survive the war."

There is a tiger in the bathroom.

Back to the ol' sketchbook
    http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=73485

Most recent sketchbook
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=276220
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It doesn't look anything like her IMO. Where's your reference? You may want to have a second look at it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    as it's said above - her face is not at all similar to jessica alba.. anyway, in general it's a nice sketch and as it doesn't look like her why not try to turn it into some more personal picture? i mean, try to get more creative with it

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    er s'good yeah but you rely too much on outlines, if you're going to draw realisticly, you should take into consideration what you see, lift up your hand and tell me it has a 1 inch thick outline, it just doesn't. Life is made out of shade and light, focus on getting these down rather than thickenng your outlines. Im not saying dont have an outline, i'm just saying dont make them so thick, and hey, maybe even try to miss it out completely, it might look more realistic that way. I hope that made sense..

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Too many sharp angles and striaght lines. The body is much more organic. Also, don't cut off hands/feet/ears or anything thats not cut off in the reference. Drawing the 'hard parts' is the only way to get better at them.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    her cheek is too pointy and sharp, kinda looks a bit dude-ish
    Good job though! keep working on it

Oh yeah, her right shoulder is waaaay out of place.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Scorned1: Yeah i know it doesnt look like her, i sat there redoing the face forever but i gave up because it would have started burning holes in the paper with all the erasing.

vinegar: thx, yeah as i said above i just gave up on the face.

A Sharp City Gent: thx, and i do know what you saying and understand, like if a part of the arm has no shadow, thin don't put a big black outlie to make it stand out. I dont know if you know what im saying but if you do ok.

wil.whalen: Her foot was cut off in the ref i used, i didnt not draw because feet are hard i think feet i kind of easy, especially with a ref, instead of making it up.

WolfBane: thx man for the crits and for looking.

Thanks everyone for looking and hope you enjoyed it. (if not DIE, J/K)

Ok here is the picture i used for ref if anyone wants to see it.

Most recent sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The Alba in your picture needs more of a curve. Looking at this it seems like you drew more of what you thought was there than what is there. Next time you might wanna try and take your time and maybe plan out the basic figure first.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Those high glamour modeling shots are possibly the worst type of photos you could ever use for reference when trying to draw a likeness, even for seasoned vets. Give yourself some mercy, scrap this drawing and start something else entirely. Avoid soft, airbrushy, super multi lightsources with backlights, or reflected lights, like the one you attempted to work with. If it has to be Jessica, I'm sure a good black and white still shot from Sin City would be a somewhat better photo reference to work from.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello i updated the pic of alba a little bit i fixed up the face a little, darken it, and soften the lines that were too dark around the body. I like it a litte more, i may darken it some more but for now thats what i got.

Most recent sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The face is still wrong, your face is built up with two strait lines, if you look at the reference you can see that THAT face clearly is not... put the faces close to each other and try to see the difference

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Your drawing has too much neck while your ref doesn't have much coz of the angle. Your drawing's head is also in the wrong angle for that pose too.

Try to use light strokes to draw or you will put holes in your paper when you need to erase. When you are sure it looks right then go over it again to darken.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Her face: I wouldn't use so many lines. Lines work best when you use them to show creases, and she really doesn't have any deep creases on her face.. those places where you drew the lines to show her cheeks and lips are really just defined by different shades, if you look closely. The shadows might have hard edges, but that's very different from being actual lines.

And on the hair, I wouldn't worry so much about placing every strand just like the photo. It's more important to use soft, quick, flowing shapes when you draw hair. It will look much more natural, even if you don't have as much control. (But you can't control hair in real life anyway, so it's all good.)

Also, one more thing that's bugging me: the curve of her hip starts below the line where her leg meets her body. In the photo, it starts above that line. You were just thinking of her butt, rather than her hip, am I right? People do this kind of thing a lot... but butts are there as a product of the hips/legs and how they come together, they're not a separate entity. D:

But despite all that crit, you've really done a nice job on most of it.. the proportions and composition look quite accurate. :]

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.