EOW: Garbage Drop-off Planet - VOTING.

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

View Poll Results: Vote for your favorite entry.

Voters
47. You may not vote on this poll
  • Trashy

1 2.13%
  • Kougansharde

1 2.13%
  • cognition.sb

9 19.15%
  • TomCardin

3 6.38%
  • yAdam

1 2.13%
  • J.Mac

20 42.55%
  • Destinatus

0 0%
  • silliKONe

12 25.53%
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Environment of the Week VOTING thread.

Greetings fellow humans, my computer won't let me copy and paste the images, so I had to get the links to their image's websites. Sorry for the inconvenience. If a moderator can update this thread with the actual images it'd be appreciated. Thanks and enjoy.

TOPIC = Garbage Drop-Off Planet

When Earth's population goes beyond it's universal limit, the demand for land that's needed for habitat skyrockets and becomes outpost debris. Natural environment will come to an end as humans know it if something isn't done. Not just something, anything, but one thing that leads and orbits, connects, becomes one with everything else.

- "PLEASE RECYCLE" signs become meaningful.
    - The timely process of tying up your garbage bag and placing into a plastic bin is over.
    - The time for compromise and elsewhere expansion has begun.
    - You have an ecosystem decision on your hands.

When are landfills at a standstill?
    Human existence exists somewhere on Mt. Elsewhere.

Waste Management representatives unite..

Entries:

-

Trashy

PLANET VELO

-In the year 2700 our planet was over-burdened with waste...namely our own waste. Why not burn it all you say...what are you insane! Pollute the whole atmosphere with that junk! Instead we came up with a better solution. We found that desolate planet. Not a single living thing on it and nothing at all of scientific value. Nobody would care if we put our junk and waste here...right? We would rather put it here then send it floating into space. Those alien buzzards might be miffed if it got a dirty baby diaper on it's chrome ship...heck...that might start another space war and we don't need that again. So years have passed by and we dumped so much waste on there that a green smog has surrounded the whole thing. The crew that dump that crap tell me the strangest things now...that strange life and organisms have sprouted out of the ground. They say it is a green utopia down there. Yeah right...I bet it's also stinky too.

-

Kougansharde

The Bowls of Sicikan, famed spaceport of the garbage planet Sicikan, and also widely known as the "Toilet Bowls of the Galaxy" served the overpopulated Terran colonies as their one-stop hygiene solution. Tons of garbage are unloaded into the Bowls every single day, then flushed into the processing chamber, and converted into bio-degradable substances, artificially enhanced for rapid decay.

-

cognition.sb

In the year 2300 human colonisation has far exceeded all calculations, and lead to the implimentation of Pit Planets to 'solve' the waste problems. Each cluster of planets has its own Pit Planet - a very undesirable place to live, compiled of the dregs of society, not to mention the smell. But at least the rent is cheap...

The surface of these planets is terraformed around large pits used for waste disposal. Garbage shuttles are constantly relaying waste from surrounding planets to the cluster's Pit Planet.

-

TomCardin

IMPORTANT! Only throw non-recyclables in the red depositories. All waste from the red depositories are immediately hyperspaced to Cygna Beta. Wastes bound for Cygna Beta will NOT be pre-sorted, hyperspace transmission is instantaneous. There is absolutely no return of any items placed in red depositories.

With the advent of stable zero energy hyperspace transport fields in 2120, Mankind quickly spread through the galaxy...fortunately his garbage did not. Easily installed in designated rubbish bins a series of transport fields immediately gate all materials tossed into the bin to reciever fields orbiting Cygna Beta. Cygna Beta is a massive body orbiting the Cygna Alpha Singularity. With intense tidal forces rubbish is quickly fused into dense rocklike deposits and eventually pulled into the singularity. The reciever station is located on the tidal pole opposite the singularity in a relatively stable orbit and waste is continuously flowing out from its many hyperspace reciever fields. Though the garbage planet is constantly being devoured into the black hole, mankinds garbage flow is more than enough to keep the planets heavy mass replenished.

The use of these hyperspace transport bins for rubbish was nearly outlawed soon after it was put into operation as many saw the bins as a way to immediately and permanently dispose of criminal evidence, suicides, even murders were committed using the initial rubbish bins. It was decided by majority vote by the Network of Forward Thinking Rehabilitationists that the advantages of the system outweighed the sudden spree of mysterious disappearances and crime. Its worth noting that within 78 years of use of the rubbish bins and permanent disposeall units the population growth of humanity has stabilized and suicides and murder are almost nonexistant. The department of missing persons maintains a steady growth rate and employment therin is at a premium.

The recieving station at Cygna Beta is also a popular tourism site. From its upper decks, viewers have an unparalelled sight of continuous planetary destruction set against a backdrop of the beautiful outer galactic arm.

-

yAdam

Martian incinerator, 1 (since 2027): The waste transfer from Earth to Mars was a slow process when it began. But, the inaugural incinerator continues to operate today, and still mantains the minimum waste threshold. When recyclying levels on Earth fell below 15% solutions were quickly passed through world government officials. The best solution was also considered the most drastic. In 2020 an attempt to terraform Mars was undertaken by NASA, but, after spiralling costs and scientific study into their methods it was terminated. After NASA's failure it was calculated that the surface of Mars would take a further 244 years before terraforming could re-start. Considering this the Government decided that Mars would be the ideal place to transfer waste to, hoping that the problem would be eradicated before the 244 years ended.

-

J.Mac

This is a man made world, we needed this because as a species we are unable to control ourselves. This is a planet solely meant for our waste, giant explosions burning away our waste in a symphonic rhythm.

-

Destinatus

-

silliKONe

The orbital trash dumping on Wrakadon lasted for centuries. Upon entering the atmosphere, most of the refuse was turned into a fine dust - which entirely surrounded the planet, plunging it into an eternal winter. The larger pieces (which for the most part, were well above dumping regulation size limits) crashed to the surface and became part of the ever changing landscape. In 2259, noted interplanetary naturalist Eduard Barkaccino made a surface excursion on the planet. Of Wrakadon he wrote: "As my feet left its own marks of history on the cinder-like snow, I felt an emotional stirring within. I was walking on centuries of culture, countless industrial revolutions...a cross section of mankind. Here the various strata, contained not sediments of rock, but rather year upon year of timultous human history."
    Soon after his article appeared in the Sunday edition of Space Times, Wrakadon became a sought after adventure destination. Celebriticians declared it "an important historical document that needed preservation." Dumping on Wrakadon ceased two years later. Another virgin planet was chosen for dumping, so that mankind's crap on Wrakadon could be preserved in ice for many generations to come.

-

Thanks to the participants!

Let the voting commence.

Last edited by chaosrocks; January 27th, 2007 at 05:19 PM.
    Website

New World Creation: Designers Wanted – Environment of the Week

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Vulgar Are you sure you can't edit the post? You just need to use [IMG]*url*[IMG] format to get these images to show I think.

I would likely send a note to all the adminstrators too.........they still didn't put this topic on the front page... pld:

Want us to all send a note for you

Okay, I ended up voting for silliKONe. Way different look from all the pieces here. Every time I looked closer at it I would spot something else in it. The strokes and coloring are all great. Just very unique! I honestly got no critiques for this one. Awesome loose style!

runner-up - J.Mac

Honorable mentions- cognition.sb, yAdam

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    v - silliKONe

Last minute juggernaut - took the competition. Thanks for participating, everyone, I hope you enjoyed bringing the topic to life.

Keep doing you

Website

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    voted for jmac
    i like the dramatic atmospheric effects. you can almost feel the heat that the planet must generate.

vulgar - thanks for putting this EOW together

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Tough Choices. I voted for ... badapa - J.Mac.
    New Topic?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    am I the only one who gets images but no links?
    Can I help out here?
    I love EOW I got my first vote ever in EOW and I know how to set up polls
    Vulgar you need to put
    [IMG] in front of each link and [/img]

after

then they'll show up as images rather than links
    lets get this party re-started
    and has something happened to RedRook? Is he ok? or has life just bowled him over. I hope he's ok

chaos

To see the world in a grain of sand, and a heaven in a wildflower, hold infinity in the palm of your hand, and eternity in an hour.

Sketch book

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthr...ight=chaos%27s

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    He moved to Florida and there was some talk of Ringling, so I suspect maybe he's just bustin' ass learning stuff.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ok. Davi made me a mod lets see if I can help
    Img tags fixed

will post a new topic later tonight if no one beats me to it
    voted sillykone... although j.mac was close
    chaos

To see the world in a grain of sand, and a heaven in a wildflower, hold infinity in the palm of your hand, and eternity in an hour.

Sketch book

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I had a new topic planned for when people started voting, but I see that you've covered that premise. Thanks.

Website

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Voted cognition.sb well done!

I was really happy with my environment...especially after the critiques I recieved. I guess I must have a disconnect on what works here. Would love some feedback to improve my efforts, I don't seem to have hit it with this image.

I tried to tell a story through my image...I evisioned panning across it from left to right, seeing the waste dumped...a brutal and primordial waste planet...then the pull and energy as the surface is ripped up into the black hole. Looking at the whole image at once its an odd composition. But I don't know if thats what people aren't liking about it. Some feedback would be awesome.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    congratulations J.mac

chaos

# 44 Xanadu has gone to poll
    VOTE!
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=89117

#45 NEW ROUND IS ON!!!
    Paint!
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=89114

Sketch book

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.