Sketchbook: -QUID PRO QUO- - Page 14
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 14 of 20 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 LastLast

Thread: -QUID PRO QUO-

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    LittleStalin: Thanks a lot, the line work looks a lot like that because of the Unsharpen Mask. I like your nick.
    fudgeloaf:I use Zbrush and Maya. Funny that Maya seemed easy to you, is one of the most complex apps I ever used. Zbrush is more artist oriented, is the one I use for sculpting, you should try it.
    Loathsome: Thanks for the great critique. I do have The Animator Survival Kit. This cycle I sort of based it in Preston Blairs book though. it's a good book, in reality is my fault, I dedicated too little time in the actual animation, and focus in learning about the program. Thanks a lot for stopping by, it has been helpfully.
    Gamerhomie: Thanks man. I'm still struggling with my linework but it's taking some shape. Thanks for your comment.
    Vumi: True about the lip sync (as you pointed out, it's not lip sync at all sice there's no sound). Thanks for the tip in the enviros. I have this problem that I don't do well atmospheric perspective as much as I try (colorwise I mean). I'll have in mind about the sharpen edges though.
    shadow1687: Gracias viejo!!
    Parsakoira: Thanks a lot!!! I really needed that comment.
    yeticatcher: Thanks, I'll be glad to hear more from you again.
    ezekrialase: Thanks a lot, I'll try to keep getting better.
    NickyBeats: Thanks, always a pleasure to visit your Sb.
    Ricardo Robles: Vos sos un groso, sabelo!!!

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey lennon I really like the colours and textures in your canyon painting. Looks very cool. I like your photo study and I do think that it still takes a fair amount of skill to copy a photo and get all the colours. I don't think there is any harm in using photo's especially if you use them as a starting point for your own creations. I really like how you are sharpening the paintings to get the textures. The water in the last one looks good.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Marian, thanks a lot for the support. All you said was helpfull, as always. Reference is a good thing, this was more of copying everything, in any case, it did me some good. Thanks for visiting me!

I was doing this huge piece, and begin to render the woman (this is just a detail shot). It's been a while since the last time I try to render a face, and I'm better now, but maybe there are still some thing's I'm not seeing(?)
    I'll post the progress later.
    The reason why the hair looks weird is cause I didn't render it much, she'll have some sort of tiara or something.

Attached Images Attached Images  

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lennon For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I didn't had that much time for this one, still, showing the progress...
    I need to change the guy before rendering, his legs are in the wrong position because I've redrawn the arm.

Last edited by lennon; January 6th, 2011 at 02:58 AM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to lennon For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I watched a movie in between, but did some more. I'm trying to upload almost every step.

Last edited by lennon; January 6th, 2011 at 05:16 AM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to lennon For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    you've got some really nice studies, the orange canyon and the beach sunset are AWESOME!

you've started killing your images with detail tho, you're way too obsessed with getting every little bit right. it sort of still works in your enviros, altho it does flatten them out quite a bit.

those last characters you're doing are getting really badly locked up in detail tho. the fact that you're drawing individual bits until they're absolutely perfect isn't helping you, you're just assembling well-rendered objects that just don't seem to fit well together.

a more natural process would be to do detail passes over the entire image. do everything rough and loose first, then add detail to areas of interest, take detail out where you don't want the viewer to look, then add some more detail to the main focal points. then at every step along the way you can check that it's still working, and fix problems with the composition, values, character attitudes, and so on. have a look at some professional tutes, you'll see they all build up their images gradually and jump all over the page while doing it.

sry i'm really not trying to make you feel bad, you've obviously put a lot of effort into this piece already, i'm just suggesting a different approach that'll give you a lot more control over the image while you're drawing it. hope it helps you

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The rendering and stuff is great but its a scary way to go in so tight so early. It might be easier and faster to block the whole thing in quickly with big shapes and forms and limited to 2 of the correct tones in each big shape. I guess you can do a tone study beforehand too.
    I only just realised recently its because any tight rendering done on a blank background is going to make the rendering look better than it is (by contrast to the blank page) and also adding a background tone at the same time allows you to get a better idea of the values and what detail is essential, and what detail is useless. Hope that helps,

Thanks
    Thanked 2,422 Times in 1,320 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    latest one looking good so far! Rodrigo gave you some good critique, i totally agree! keep up!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,193 Times in 1,056 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    lennon! that last piece is very promising and i love your approach to rendering~ quite interesting

Sketchbook
    Blog
    Drachen

Matt
    Jamie
    King
    Henri
    Lukas

available for commission/work
    email: mister.guiang@gmail.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ya def agree with Rodrigo. Doing a tonal/value study might help before hopping in to something like this. Also the characters still look a little unconvincing in terms of gesture. I hope you don't feel like your being beaten to death because its really looking good, but I have a feeling you would rather get better than just hear a bunch of compliments. I really love your enviros, but I suppose as was said above it may be good do limit the texture to areas of interest more. In fact, I learned something just by looking at them so thanks man! Keep posting, cant wait to come back and see more progress. I need to start doing more stuff like that myself.. if school doesnt hog up all my time. Talk to you soon I hope!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Agreed above on all the going in too finished before the whole image is there..

The characters emotions are looking really blank, almost zombie-like. The male figure's head is also looking too big in comparison to the rest of his body.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Cool looking characters! I like their designs a lot. I feel that the scene is lacking energy though. Like mentioned above the expressions seem quite indifferent and their posing is quite plain. It looks like they're about to confront a demon or devil in what looks to be a church or catacomb. If thats the case, they seem quite relaxed, or just annoyed, like doing the dishes or going to the DMV. For a tonal study I think it works, but the composition is sort of dull. I'd like to see this scene done with a bit more intensity. The figures could be more dynamic and the devil could be made to be ore threatening. How? Well, hmm. Perhaps the devil could be hidden in the shadows, just emerging into a bright light that the two people could be in, and descending down to them from a stone column while the two character reel back in surprise and prepare to retaliate against the offense. I'm not exactly how this could be portrayed, Perhaps pull back on the camera to show more atmosphere? When is comes to these techincal and creative decisions, I'm the amateur, so I feel that my advice be taken with a grain of salt.

It kind of reminds me of a dark ages painting because of their expressions and simple placement, but It doesn't appeal as much with such sophisticated rendering.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Let me start off by saying your zbrush renders look awesome!!@ inspires me to explore it more

your enviros are looking fantastic as well, i might recommend pushing the subject matter a little more, try doing a sci-fi, post-apoc, etc...

and i notice you understand value very well, but when composing an entire composition, you tend to do a little pillow-shading style, and i think it's because of what everyone is recently saying, you're focusing on one part at a time as opposed to the whole image.

nothing you can't fix if you step back and reassess, you clearly have the ability to detail

cheers

...the imperfections make it interesting...

[sketchbook] [deviantart]

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm blown away every time I step in here, but don't really have much to say. So I'm just posting my appreciation of the awesomeness. lol

The form of the water and it's visual qualities in this are convincing. Maybe you learnt more fro mthe photorealistic copying than you realised? Or maybe that knowledge was there before.

Sketchbook | Art Blog | Portfolio

True progress means matching the world to the vision in our heads.
    But we always change the vision instead.

ThomasM is offline Artist in training.... Level 11 Gladiator: Essedarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,024 Times in 879 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    wow the landscapes in post 378 are incredible.. I have nothing to crit at all (they are far better than my own).

I like the large sketch from imagination too just before it.

I'm afraid that I don't really have any useful crits to give other than to encourage you to keep doing what you're doing and I'll stop by and check for something I can crit in recent work!

Sketchbook: INSATIABLE CURIOSITY

Tumblr:http://lovegraphite.tumblr.com/

"We make our own fortunes and we call them fate" - Benjamin Disraeli

Thanks
    Thanked 4,516 Times in 2,456 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Solid creative flow here. This is fkin cool, be a good spaceship, or the eyetwisting engine of a spaceship...

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/att...1&d=1280959797

and I like this, as is, unfinished, it adds mystery to it

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/att...1&d=1294295888

sb most art copied to page 1
    Weapons of Mass Creation 2011 ::: Add your favourites!
    facebook: Alface Killah

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks to all. As you can see, I freaked out since everyone agreed on the mess I've done Hahahah. It was some kind of experiment though to see how far I could get in this way and then use Overlay (I had everyting separated in layers, so I was going to add light and colours later).
    I'm still planning on doing that, but am working now on a piece I have to deliver.
    It's a huge piece; I'm not gonna post that yet, but I promise it's my best stuff to the moment.
    So, I'm just here to put this other thing so that I have some sort of copyright. It's just a blend of two very old stuff. Someone asked if I could do a 300 (and other similar stuff) kind of look, and this is my way of showing.
    It actually doesn't look bad; perhaps I should work on it.

Last edited by lennon; February 17th, 2011 at 06:56 AM.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to lennon For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey lennon!
    Your drawings are looking good. Better than your paintings atm.
    Really really pay attention to your values.
    They are often the same.
    Do photostudies and still lifes to study the different values.
    At the moment your weakest point in my opinion

Greetings, Sil

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great figures and studies, your sculpts are looking alittle blobby tho; try using some harder brushes even just making the focal shift larger can make a difference.
    I suppose its preference at the end of the day but I tend to use a modified version of clay tubes to get a more controlled hardsurface feel to a brush, try experimenting with alpha's for brush tips aswell, like your in PS but Zbrush lol.

Also have you tried zsketching? I see you've used zspheres but zsketching takes it so much further before you start to dig into the clay.

Good work keep it up, be carefull of rendering in segments - it tends to make things appear flat.
    And great work in the courage partner thread

"Masks...You have...a lot. You, too...Will you be...a mask salesman?"
    -[Ambidextrous in Training]-

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for commenting!
    I'm still working on this one, but I think is pretty clear where I'm heading.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I haven't finished this one either; it's pretty detailed (so it's actually quite big). I'm gonna post it well as soon as I'm done with it.
    And have some mercy please .

Last edited by lennon; October 7th, 2011 at 12:39 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Didn't have much luck with this page, so I'm trying to get into the next one. So here is a cartoon I just drew (I usually don't post these).

Thanks
    Thanked 1,205 Times in 714 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    buen trabajo, las ultimas ilustraciones son muy buenas. Me gusta como estaba quedando la mujer-árbol (¿Daphne?) no sé si tenias pensado terminarlo.
    La ilustracion erotico-futurista tiene muy buena pinta también, un alto nivel de detalle... tal vez la zona púbica de la chica en primer plano está un pelín alta, no te parece?
    muy buena la reflexión de la luz en las zonas metálicas.
    saludos!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,102 Times in 925 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Wow i really like the way you rendered water in that earlier piece. i want to suggest that if you are going to paint a piece paint holistically instead of one piece at a time. that way everything flows and there is a continuity.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks for the nice words in my sb, man!
    love your recent work, lots of variety.
    especially the harp lady in the tree looks amazing!
    hope we get to see an update on it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Silly sketches. I haven't draw in a million years since I'm focusing in learning some new programs. Should've fliped the canvas. Thanks for the replies.
    Ricardo, sí, me fui al carajo poniéndole la concha en el ombligo. No sé qué estaba pensando. Se nota que necesito ver más de estas en vivo y en directo
    lolbbq, yes, that's what people told me above, thanks.
    monotony, you're great!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Can't upload most of my recent stuff (since I'm working, it's confidential stuff ). So, here you have some animations I had to do to practice, an a few cartoons I just did.

Last edited by lennon; March 27th, 2011 at 08:08 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Lennon, great updates. I really like the animations and those creatures looks fab.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I´m finishing a Sponge Bob game for Nintendo DS, so that´s the explanation of this picture.

Last edited by lennon; July 13th, 2011 at 08:30 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    And this one is another quick one I also did at work.

Page 14 of 20 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 68