WIP devil inside. lighting issues (please advise)

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

WIP devil inside. lighting issues (please advise)

Hi all: i am working on a piece. i want to portray the evil that lies within man. i started this piece also for a challenge called "monster in the closet" but im taking it to a more deeper meaning of the monster that is within us. so. im having trouble painting and lighting this guy. this is actually me in the picture. i posed and snapshot the pose. the light is supposed to come from above and a secondary light from the back. im using a round hard brush set to opacity and shape pen pressure. any suggestions are very much appreciated.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi, I moved this to the WIP forum for you.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks Emily. last time i put something in "its finally finished" it got moved to critique. thought this was the place to put it since thats what i was looking for.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,345 Times in 1,123 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Nice job working with ref, looks like you accurately captured a decent pose w/good anatomy.

I'm not entirely sure where the lightsource is. If you stuck to the lighting in the ref, you're probably left with a lot of ambient light caused by your local light source (bedroom/kitchen lightbulb, etc) bouncing off objects and walls and lighting you from many other places. The torso is looking especially flat. It's looking pretty scribbly, and muddy.

My advice: Don't be afraid to creat your own lightsource. You've done a good job making him fit colour-wise into the pic, but not value-wise. Try to make your lightsource a bit more defenite, or at least a bit more consistent (darkening the chest to show he's backlit)

Use larger brush strokes, it will take a lot of the scribblynes out. Rule usually is to use the largest possible brush you can and work your way down only when you need to.

Don't shade with black. Don't shade a very light colour by taking a very dark colour and turning the opacity to like 12%. By doing this your shadows get washed out. Go gradually, from light to dark, and make hard strokes for the shadows to define their planes better. Also try to add in a litle touch of a cooler colour into your shadows to give more depth to them.

Anyhoo, good luck

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    you are right about the brushes. im always fiddling with it and losing my creative flow. as well as my brush flow. thanks for the brush tip. As far as Shading with Black. it does seem like it but ive been using dark red. probably too dark cause i use HSV slider and to adjust that. shoud i not use the HSV slider? i have a palette made up but i guess my pallette is inadequate.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    here is an update of the latest. I want to Thank Justin Oaksford for his critque. he helped me out alot with a paintover. its not on this thread but he did.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It's looking good, but I would suggest a little more light on his chest and stomach, as it is now that area looks very sunken in but his pose suggests he is arched backwards somewhat.

-My work can be found at my local directory thread.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks anid. Ill work on that.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    okay i think im done with this piece. i dont know what else to do or how to make it better. Any critz on any element please dont hesititate to let me have it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hmm, perhaps give a bit more insight to the concept; Why are the rocks bursting from his chest? The pentagram on his stomach is sort of wobbly, is that intentional or were you just trying to show it going around the stomach? (No harm in trying!)

I want to post my paintover in here just incase anyone was curious about my suggestions;

I assume you have a tablet; if you don't, you can disregard this
    I would also say, try using more opacity. Trying to blend colors with tons of transparent strokes is only hurting your wrist- And alot of the times gives innacurate edges.

Try this brush setting;
    Round. Hardness= 100%, Opacity=100%. Go into the Brushes menu, go to "Other Dynamics", and go to "Opacity Jitter". There should be a setting called "Pen Pressure". Make sure the slider is set to 0.
    This is a great brush for people to use because it helps with edges. You don't need to change the "Hardness" for smooth edges; Simply lighten the pressure on your stylus and you can make perfectly smooth edges.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    the pentagram was intentional. its is to represent the skin is cut. as if a balde but it.

the rocks are not bursting from his chest. that is the flesh being ripped or burned off from the inside out. and what you see is the flesh of a demon. (maybe if i add horns to the head that would illustrate the concept better)

as far as the brush is concerned, that is the brush i use. i have those exact settings., so what am i doing wrong other than using a graphire 3 and not an intuos. ( im getting it)

thanks for the quick reply

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I am finally done with this Image. yet i dare not put it in Finally finished lest it be moved. so im gonna just leave it here

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A very good concept, I especially like the idea behind this. I enjoy the colors used to protray it as well, no color better insinuates evil then red (and black). Great display of anatomy, very close to par. I also like the lighting, though a bit vibrant I think - a darker approach for the evils inside and what not. But this still works.

Since it's finished just wanted to let you know this is a very nice piece, good work.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The almost uniformity of the gray bits on the chest is decreasing the interest. Were they more random, with one side larger and offset from the center-line, and not aligned horizontally, they would have much more draw.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks dogfood. ill fix that up. how can i have not seen that.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.