Making a Commish worth the money
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Making a Commish worth the money

Hey!

I was recently commissioned by a friend to do two pieces for an RPG campaign of his. I've given him the first piece, that y'all can see here. He really digs my crap style, but I can't help but feel...I could have done him better.

Inks and watercolors are really my most comfortable medium, but mind giving me more then a gentle asspat? The second half of the commish isn't due in for atleast a month, I want to make it worth his hard earned cash.

And yes, I'm painfully untrained. Sorry.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think that if you plan out your characters pose or body language you'll add alot more value to the piece. Don't short change the viewer with hiding limbs. We want to see all of it. Unless there are secondary elements in the environment that are concealing certain parts of the figure that are adding to the scene and not taking away from it. And only then if it's adding to the atmosphere of the piece and not hiding the parts we're not comfortable drawing. I think that helps in showing your client that you're serious about the work and your willing to go the distance and not take the easy way out. But this will only come with practice. I've attached a quick drawing to help you understand better of what you could achieve with a more dramatic pose. I hope that this will help you out some. Good Luck!

Name:  hlpdrw.jpg
Views: 161
Size:  188.5 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Okay, so Mr. Ostrander has the training you lack. However...

Unlike a lot of untrained artists, you do have style. This is a good thing. That head is amazing, way scarier and cooler than Mr. O's more schooled approach. It reminds me of Ralph Steadman or Ronald Searle. Both who have made a lot of money drawing very scratchy pictures.

Getting some training is a good idea if an art career is something you're thinking about, but don't lose the wild, scary style. Just learn to make it do what you want.

Nathan's Journal

http://sabrepunk.com/

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi OrcaWail,
    I hope that Mr. Long's post doesn't lead you to believe that I was implying that I have any issue with your style. I was simply trying to give you some insight on how you could push your figure more. Add more drama to it. That's all. I didn't post my drawing next to yours to insist that this is how yours should look. The only thing I was trying to push was what you could do with your figure. I just thought that should be stated in case there is any confusion.

Best,
    Glen

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Ostrander: I understand, don't worry. I'll try to work on my postures more in the future, and thanks for drawing a comparison. Its actually kinda cool to see what can be done rather than just being told.

@Nathan: I'm actually a freshman art major. @_@ the reason I say "untrained" is because I've mostly learned the most basic of things (perspective, shading, line, negative space, ect) so far, and little about the figure. And thank you for the kind words...seems to be the pat I get most often, my printmaking work has been called "genuinely disturbing".

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.