Icebreaker - technical feedback

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks

Icebreaker - technical feedback

Hi guys, I figured posting here could help me get better, first time i'm doing any serious digipaint work with a tablet, second time I color anything, and I really want to improve, so here goes.

My ship concept has already changed, so this is just a technical exercise before I get to working out the final paintings. Exactly why I want comments on what to improve in terms of technique, what tools to use best, etc...
    Here' where I am now:

I'm not satisfied with the clouds: no depth and the form is unnatural. Also there is still a lot of work to be done on mainly the snow and ice covering it as, well as details to the ship itself.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Well...what are you using for reference? I mean this might be obvious to you but I would look at real ships and real clouds and pay attention to what kind of noise is going on irl there...

The biggest thing I notice is the lack of contrast and color depth.

---- -
    sehertu mannu narāṭu ina pānāt šagapīru ningishzidda
    abrahadabra

Thanks
    Yeah, reference would be useful. Once you know more about the subject matter, you will have a lot better imaginative works. The same rule applies to us all.

Thanks
    I'm a little confused with where exactly the ship rests in the water. I mean, I know where it should be but at the current state it's almost an illusion.

As for clouds, something I struggle with as well - It's seems here that we are looking at clouds way off in the distance due to their flat 2d quality - clouds on the horizon if you will. If you take a peak at some references (which isn't cheating or even crutches by the way, it's smart ) you will see clouds above and all around, despite their complex and chaotic forms they do follow the same rules of perspective as everything else.

Cheers!

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.