Thanks

Question Canvas size and DPI

What canvas size and dpi range do you use in most of your work?

I have heard that some people start off on a small size at a small dpi to do big blocking in and then increase the canvas size to do details.

What do you do?

I'm only asking this because I'm having trouble painting on a 1500px x 1500px canvas at 100dpi-300dpi and wondered if I'm asking too much of painter or need a bigger graphic card memory.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    How much RAM do you have? You need a lot of RAM to paint at high resolution. I've found this especially true with Painter. I have 2 GB of RAM and have no problems in Photoshop, but Painter will sometimes unexpectedly quit when I'm working on large files. I've learned to SAVE, SAVE, SAVE frequently!

My rule of thumb for personal art is to paint at the actual size I may want to make a print and at 150 dpi. (Say, 18" x 24" at 150 dpi). An inkjet printer isn't going to print any better at 300 dpi, so I find 150 dpi works well.

Now, if it is an illustration that is to be commercially published on a litho printing press, I paint at 300 dpi. 99.9% of the commercial illustrations I do are no larger than a magazine cover, so a 300 dpi file at 150% of the printed size is sufficent.

Thanks
    Thankyou for replying.
    And thanks for the advice on what canvas and dpi you use, I'll bear that in mind when I paint my own work.

I seem to only have 1GB of RAM, so do you think that could potentially be the problem?

Thanks
    One gig should be sufficient. I worked on my G4 Mac with only 512 MB of RAM for 7 years without a problem - other than being a bit slow, especially with some of my huge, hi res Photoshop files. Painter 7 worked fine on that computer also. It's Painter 8 and 9 that I've had the most problems with.

Have you read Jin's pinned articles ( at the top of this forum) on keeping Painter running smoothly? Certainly worth trying her excellent tips found there.

Thanks
    Yes I have all those optimisations that Jin suggested yet still have this problem. I just feel that I shouldn't have to limit myself in a program that should be able to handle what I'm asking from it. I think I'll look into graphics card memory as that may be an issue. It seems painting on a canvas bigger then 800x800px or a big brush over 15 in size gives me a delayed reaction between the tablet and the brush stroke on screen which isn't how I want to work. Thanks for your suggestions.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jgarrington
    What canvas size and dpi range do you use in most of your work?

I have heard that some people start off on a small size at a small dpi to do big blocking in and then increase the canvas size to do details.

What do you do?

I'm only asking this because I'm having trouble painting on a 1500px x 1500px canvas at 100dpi-300dpi and wondered if I'm asking too much of painter or need a bigger graphic card memory.
    Hi,

Another really helpful offering from John Derry may help solve your problems.

Go to the main page of this forum, then do an Advanced Search in this forum for all threads started by pixelart (John Derry). Then look for the thread title that starts with "Hot-rodding...... ". It explains how to "hot-rod" your brushes to speed up painting. If you don't find that thread on the first page of threads started by pixlart be sure to look on the second page.

Good luck!

Please do not PM me with Painter questions. Instead, post them here where everyone can benefit from them. Thanks!

Jinny Brown
    Visit PixelAlley.com
    and The PainterFactory