Sketchbook: Better late than never...[Updated Oct 21!]

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Better late than never...[Updated Oct 21!]

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Better late than never...[Updated Oct 21!]

I have been a lurker for a long while, but I finally am getting into this and seriously

Th first image is a DSG doodle, the eyes were done using referenced photos from the photo reference thread ::gasp::, and the last 2 are just some of my crappy doodles. C&C Greatly apprieciated

Attached Images Attached Images          
    Last edited by Lad; October 23rd, 2008 at 08:44 AM. Reason: Update
    Insert quote here -> ketch ook

SSG #70: Pulchritudo nos vocat
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Seriously, look how hardcore I am - I can crit for three people.

<IdiotApathy|Lurk> I think you chicken scratch too much
    <IdiotApathy|Lurk> focus on making a line and make it
    <alto_hyver> true
    <charactwerk> yeah
    <charactwerk> that'll make u faster to
    <charactwerk> too
    <alto_hyver> and if it turns out wrong, just place a new try right next or through it
    <IdiotApathy|Lurk> that will also test to see if you know what you are drawing, I think it's very important to try and visualize.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey lad, time to dispense the cookie :I
    Nice start so far, good that youre doing some form of studies, eyes or what not. As of now as mentioned by idiot apathy, you need less chicken scratch lines. Make lines and stick to them, instead of running over the lines over and over again, be confident with the mark making. Continue with the studies from life and anatomy lad, onwards!

TUNAFISH SAMMICHES?!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Idoit
    Funny thing is I made me a note pad file and saved those exact comment on to it

@Sirio
    Yeah, now that I am looking back onto the pictures I see where you guys are right. So my plan for today: Confident Lines!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Boobs!

I told myself I would go a V-Day update on this thread! So here it goes!

Comments be brutal!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey lad, nice update. I dug the girls face so far, its showing more confidence in the line work, less scratchiness, so props. Keep drawing and studying stuff from life mate and draw alot, the improvement will come in loads. Keep those updates coming.

TUNAFISH SAMMICHES?!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I demand more studies. And either a darker pencil, or better paper. But so far so good... Good lines and concepts.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Life drawing is the best way to go~
    The side view of the girl I think shows the most confidence.
    Keep doing that, and keep updating!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Noses!

@ Sirio, Yeah I kept thinking "Long lines" while I was drawing and go figure it starting to work

@ Stark, Thanks for dropping by! Make sure to bug me about your SB. I hope you like my scans a bit better now

@ Juli, Too bad I dont have life models only picture refs...Maybe its time to hit up the strip club for "study"

Ok I noticed that one line can totally change a nose. So simple yet so defined. I also tried to stick with confident lines none of this scratchyness crap, I think I did ok.

Once again crits and comments are always welcome and remember be brutal, its the only way I will learn.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

An update

So yeah, I havent been drawing as much as I really should. Stupid distractions

I noticed that I try to be fast about my drawing only causing it to fail miserably. So when I take my time and actually think about the structure underneath it comes out FAR better than the initial sketch.

I also noticed that I have a problem actually getting creative on a blank piece of paper so I either go to outlets that provide topics: DSG

Also cant wait to get paid to get me anatomy books

Crits and comments always welcome and be brutal!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Fingers!

More studies!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like your studies. And now update it! As for crits, i feel like you might try to go for line quality with you studies now. Confident, long strokes that convey gesture. But then i'm a sucker for gesture.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Update...Finally!

Well I havent been drawing much seeing as I have been busy, but the other day I said to myself "Lad", because that is what I call myself. So I said to myself "Lad, you need to draw."

You can see some concepts of monsters and the like, me trying to draw a shirt, and birds...lots of bird heads...

Like always crits and comments always welcome, so have at it!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Time is on your side, whether you believe it or not. Take it and use it wisely. These look rather rushed and really don't stand up to the hand studies you did up top. Keep at it and you'll progress

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice studies! I know this is hard to do but you have to draw _every day_! I myself can't do that, wish I could listen to my own advice but if you draw atleast one page of anatomy studies and some more fun stuff (whatever you wanna draw) you'll improve a great deal in no time! Just keep it up!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Lalala Updatez

At first you can see my crappy doodles. I think the wallet came out ok, also the creatures. Then I worked some studies that I actually enjoyed doing. I think it was because I started to think more accurately, while at the same time trying to be loose. Go go Bridgman!

Have at it!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ok, this is gonna sound mean, but you need to stop drawing imaginative stuff for awhile and work on life drawing and anatomy studies. Right now, your anatomical parts are just not cutting it. I recently bought Jeno Barcsay and I must say, that the information that he has in "Anatomy for the Artists" is really good. It won't teach you how to draw, but it will give you valuable information to what it going on underneath the skin.

At the present, I suggest picking a few choice areas and doing full page studies on those. Select the mouth/lips/nose/eyes/ears/arms/legs/hands etc and working on at least 1 full page of studies from just one of those topics and then update. Once you do that, close the reference material and do a page of the same stuff from your head in memory. This will give you more help and knowledge because you are forcing yourself to remember the forms and shapes of those various objects. Repeat the lesson with each new part of the human body.

Keep at it

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Updated!

Getting back on the ball!

Some studies, some character that I hope to clean up when I get a new eraser, and some gestures...that I suck at.

Hope you enjoy!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The comment Stark made way back in may was really a solid one, and I suggest you try it on for size.
    I by no means claim to have any sort of education in this field, and I don't know any specific learning techniques. I should actually do way more studies than I am -- at any rate; Drop drawing from your imagination when doing studies, and do lots of them. Even if you don't have access to live nekkid people that like to sit still for hours on end, photos will do just fine.

While it's aparent that you have the format and relative mindset right (several simplistic pics that are meant to sharpen your conveyance(is that a word) of reality), this needs to be touched upon:
    Why doing studies is boring
    Studies are boring. Unless the live chick(or boi) you're drawing is well fit, doing studies are gonna be tedious and demoralizing at times. But they're very valuable shortcuts. And by taking shortcuts you'll be able to draw all that snazzy stuff you see when you listen to some wicked music or dream or whatever

Just don't go on year-long hiatuses!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You should work on varying your linewidths in order to better describe form. It will definitely help to give your stuff more oompf!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    for your vday sketches, they look great but one of the boobs is smaller and they look lopsided.your shading is scratchy, lay your pencil almost flat and use the side of the led!! and study more reference! lol!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Er....update?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Let's see some more studies! Push out of the usual, draw what you've never drawn before! Let's see some values, push the pencil to the paper! Great work so far, keep at it though, don't get lazy!

"The marvels of daily life are exciting; no movie director can arrange the unexpected that you find in the street." - Robert Doisneau

"I think that each work of art when stripped to its bare bones is essentially a 'connect the dots' picture." - Me

Sketchbook

SSG 70

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wooo! Already on my case. I like it!

So here are a few recent ones from my DS that got just awhile ago. I will try to post them in chronological order.

Tell me what you guys think

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yayyy, update! I really like your landscapey stuff. As people have suggested before, you need to figure out bones and anatomy under figures. Study the masters, or even just take out a medical text on anatomy. See how it all fits together.. Let's see some more tones, too! Moremoremore.

"The marvels of daily life are exciting; no movie director can arrange the unexpected that you find in the street." - Robert Doisneau

"I think that each work of art when stripped to its bare bones is essentially a 'connect the dots' picture." - Me

Sketchbook

SSG 70

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Aaaarghh! So jealous want ds....Nice little digis there. Do more...MORe! Try some more stil lifes maybe and try spend some time on a piece - all of them have potential! Bring it on!!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Your DS? Let's game sometime~

I like where you're going with this It just keeps getting better! But, yes, don't forget to try to see things as shapes! Break 'em down~... or something...

Super Sketch Group! numbah 70
    Darlene Kidult Lad DigitallyDumbfounded shardana Psychotime
    And me!

Let's learn together!

(Oh, and here's my blog. It's just me and my goofy doodles. Oh, but now there's also my portfolio site!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Studies!!!!

Darlene: Thanks! I personally think that most of them are poop but I do learn quite a bit of just the general drawing/painting of them. Those environments can be quite intensive.

kidult: Yeah the DS is pretty AWESOME!!! Not only can I draw I can also listen to music on it You do bring up a good point though, that I seem to start some of these pieces and never quite finish them. I think what happens is that I become fustrated that it isn't coming out right and as such I lose confidence.

bombchu: Haha, no games for me! Well...maybe but keep it on the DL Haha funny you mention the breaking down of things...check out what I did!

So I busted out my Bridgman's book and started from one of the beginning pages. Some drawings I would start too big and had to split them up into separate drawings.

I also noticed that I don't do quite as much male studies as I should do so I started to draw Kimbo Slice! With this one I plan to actually finish no matter how long it takes

So here is my update! Tear me a new one guys!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yay! Update.
    Nice to see you study! On the digitals absolutely ALWAYS!! block in a solid tone underneath your figures. YOu have white shining through and that makes them look sketchy and also messe with your value relations.

YOu can try fiiling the whole canvas with a warm grey at a medium brightness (or anything that floats your boat/corresponds or contrasts to the color scheme in your piece) and then build up your figure.
    Try working out a consistent drawing and then plop in your midtones at high opacity.
    Do you have a tablet? (sorry if I over read it maybe)?
    Set the opacity to pressure in the brushsettings.
    Anyway.
    Next paint in the general areas where the light doesn't hit to much (darks) and then paint in some bright areas.
    The point is your available value range is limited. In PS into 100 steps of gradation.
    SO you don't want to start on a too bright or dark background so that you can actually highlight something. If you start at, say, 90% brightness and have 96% midtones then your 100% highlights won't have much of an impact.

Pure black and pure white should be reserved for the really big impacts.
    Or not used at all.

So, keep up the studies and experiment a bit with the program and brushsettings.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice noses! I like the variety of stuff you've put up. Now get more into the "nitty gritty" with anatomy, as our dear DigitallyDumbfounded likes to say. She (I think Digitally is a she?) has a lot of good things to say about learning new techniques on photoshop, so do lots of listening, ne? And I can't wait to see more! So dish out the goods and push push push! Get better! Raah!

Sketchbook

SSG 70

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.