Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread: Rudeone's sketches and WIPs | june 4 '10

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Stark: thanks dude!
    Quote Originally Posted by Stark View Post
    How did you first start out learning? Was it by anatomy books and reference images? A lot of life drawing?
    I remember I used to copy a lot from dinosaur books when I was a kid, that's when it all started.
    I graduated from a sort of art school years back, but I can't really say that I learned a lot from it.
    We had a few life drawing sessions (like 5 in a whole semester), but back then I didn't realise the importance of it, realism wasn't "my style".
    I pretty much learned everything by studying the work of others, not really copying but trying to figure out how they did it and a lot of practice.
    It's save to say that my skills improved a lot faster ever since I discovered CA.
    It really was an eye opener for me, I started to take realism a lot more serious and I'm learning to understand real life, although I must admit that I should spend a lot more time on this.
    It's still showing in my work, I often seem stuck doing the same type of characters and often proportions are way of (I tend to draw extremely long arms for instance hehe), but I'm learning and I'm happy about where I'm at now

Call0ps: thanks man! well actually there are no feet in the last update because I reached the bottom of the page ...but yeah I often leave out the legs because that's when I mess up, I really have to work on that.

Alright here's another update:
    -another pencil rendering of a girl
    -a further developed piece of the witch
    -I liked the sketch of the samurai-ish girl in my previous update a lot (despite the extremely long arms, but I will fix that hehe), so I decided to develope it further.
    -The last one is a WIP that I started over a year ago and I stumbled on it again today.
    I used ref for the train which I found on some site with abandoned places pics, I should still have it bookmarked somewhere.

Attached Images Attached Images        
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I love the way you draw faces, like the chick with the katana especially.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks TaiPoh, I'm honored that your first post is in my SB

Okay so I was messing around with the samurai chick a bit (oh come on, grow up!) and tried to fix some stuff that seemed of.
    I thought her face looked too sad and cute. Cute is good, I like cute, but it just didn't look right so I tweaked it a bit. Still looks cute I guess, but she looks more confident now I think.
    Also made her arms shorter, I dunno does it look ok now? any input greatly appreciated
    Thing around her neck looks stupid, might change that into something else...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey rudy, your recent updates are great. i like the samurai chick alot. in the first essential sketch, i think the face looked best. imo most of your face look best done in the sketched "fase". about the thing around her neck, i actually think it fits in well, i should change the colors though. because there's your highest value change, it gets all attention. so i would suggest maybe get some more neutral value there.
    ok, cya later dude and good luck.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I didn't realize that there was a 2nd page till I checked your thread just now. Oopsy... Still trying to figure my way about here. You've got a really nice style there, I really dig your characters' outfits. The samurai chick does look less sad, although she looks a bit sleepy to me, if I didn't look closely, it looks as though her eyes are closed.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Teh Gosu: Jelle, excellent point, thanks! I'll see what I can do about it, but def. dropping the B/W stripes.

TaiPoh: Thanks man, no worries, you'll find your way around soon enough
    I'll make a new layer with more opened up eyes just for comparison, thanks!

Here's an attempt at painting a fictional marine creature, never tried something like this before and I'm quite satisfied with the result:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I really like your SB, seriously. I don't know what I mean by this, really, but your characters and stuff remind me of Clive Barker's Abarat books. Not necessarily that they look like any of the illustrations, but they remind me of the feel of the books alot. *cough* I think I mean I really like them. Yeah.

mirskov is offline the slower you go, the further you get Level 4 Gladiator: Meridiani
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    great gesture in your characters and faces are full of emotion. Great work. really enjoyed looking through

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Your stuff is soo strong. From the first scan its obvious that you load up the sketches with skill and emotion. Keep them coming! *subscribed*

Freximus Draws <----Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    idoru: hehe I don't understand where you get that from, but thanks anyway, much appreciated
    mirskov: thanks man, I'm glad you enjoy it
    freximus: thank you, that's really kind of you to say

Two more:

Clocks is offline I thought I looked like that rock! Level 3 Gladiator: Catervarii
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah man this style you have going is so amazing. I love your character sketches, lines are awesome. Your paintings are looking really good too. No crits from me, this stuff is really inspirational it makes me want to go sketch some more. Then I actually sit down to sketch and realize how much I have to learn still haha.

Keep em coming!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    great style you got there!

a fan i am

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow beautiful sketchbook colors and monsters. I really like the marine creature concepts haha Nice style with putting down marks n stuff and nice lil' environments. Watch it with the ribcage/shoulderline/neck area of your figures, especially women. That witch illustration is gorgeous but the upper torso is off, much like the concepts of the last few posts. Keep up the sweet works 5 stars

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Clocks: wow thanks a lot dude!
    oddjob: thanks a lot man
    naomiful: Naomi, thank you very much for those pointers, very much appreciated ...and the stars too of course

Here's some recent stuff. life studies done from photo ref.
    The first muscle structure sketch was done from pictures of the anatomical resin figure by 'freedom of teach'.
    Also my version of last weeks CHOW: fallen valkyrie and a sketch for this weeks: Apocalyptic Scavenger.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey
    You are doing great, man.
    I really liked the rembrandt copy and those underwater creatures. As mentioned your anatomy sometimes could be stronger, but you are workin on it i see
    Strong imagination work and good colors
    keep it up

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice stuff you got here. I like the Apocalyptic scavenger. I think you could take the really far with the colors and make it looks really sick. I also like the life studies you did. Looking good man. The Fallen Valkyrie could do with 1-2 spots of color to bring it to another level. Red or Yellow would work really well for this.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Love your characters dude. Specially that Samurai Chick. Where do you go for Ideas/Inspiration? (Sorry if this has been asked already)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    WoW Nice, I can see major improvement on the way your style has developed over the last couple of pages. Allow me to watch your genius closely, as you inspire me! Keep up the good work amigo.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    waw ... freakin Sketch book, your last CG woot me^^"

bhanu is offline Registered User Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,440 Times in 766 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    aww man this thread is really rocking now man. the lead work , the linework , I am so fucking envious.ANd definitely inspired too.keep on pimping art man.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sonaj: hey thanks man!
    Stark: thanks mate! I might try that.
    Taiylz: thanks man! well I get ideas/inspiration from lot of things like music, movies, books, but probably my greatest source of inspiration is the work by other artists.
    Jay_Gunz: Wow dude hehe, thanks a lot! good to hear my stuff inspires you
    Kiruakiller: cheers man!
    bhanu: cheers bhanu, thanks a lot man!

Here's an update on the samurai chick, darkened it a bit to get a better contrast, some tweaking of her face to make her look a bit more realistic, opened her eyes and tried to give her some asian features.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    WOW!! Great updates since I last visited. I always love to see your step by step process! Keep up the incredible work my friend!!!

Cx

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yay her eyes are open (though i kinda like the sad look)! again great stuff here. still a fan.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good fixes on the chick. I like her eyes being open, gives her a better expression and personality. I would suggest that you lift her chest a bit, and kinda flatten out the bottom of them. They look like water balloons or something at the moment. Also, the highlight on her stomach gives her a malnourished look, so maybe dim that down a bit or try to "harden" that area. Never seen too many fat samurais...

KUDOS and hope that helped

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Chermilla: thank you very much dear I'll do my best!
    oddjob: thanks man, yeah I kinda liked the squinted eyes too, but I think this is going to work best in the end.
    Stark: thanks man, excellent pointers!

Here's a quick update. I liked the contrast in the face of the middle one in my previous update a lot, it kinda got lost when I smoothened the face some more so I tried to bring that contrast back a bit.
    Also dimmed down the strong highlights on her belly a bit like Stark suggested, I thinks it's working.
    I decided to get rid of the collar thing because I didn't really know what to do with it. I do think that part looks kinda uninteresting and 'naked' right now, but I can fix that with some details like necklaces and/or maybe a neck tattoo or something, although I have to be carefull not to overdo it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey rudy, nice to see your anatomy studies, good stuff. i really like the 5th one of post 106. 7th is cool too, really got the redneck personality 8th one i like too, but i would suggest having the dog get a little bit more attention. i didnt see him for a while. last one i love most of all.

your last update, i like that you opened up her eyes. i see you removed the highlight on her belly. i think its good she's not fat anymore, but it now lost much dimension because the highest value on her face doesnt come back down on her belly. so her belly is looking flat (not dimensional.) so you need the value back, but in a different shape (not roundish because thats describes a fat belly) but in a more vertical shape i think.hope i made sense also, nice you expirimented with the costume, this costume looks more old and simple. i must agree with stark, her boobs are hanging like she's 70 years old i would get them higher.

keep it up and see ya later dude!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh Gosu View Post
    i must agree with stark, her boobs are hanging like she's 70 years old i would get them higher.
    LOL dude! good thing I post the process here, after working on it a few hours in a row I really don't spot stuff like that anymore hehe.

Ok so how's this? still a little rough though. Repainting was a bitch, I eventually had to flatten the whole damn thing otherwise it was impossible hehe, some details in her shirt got lost, no biggy really.
    While I was at it I also moved her mouth and nose up a bit and made her eyes slightly bigger.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I...I dunno..I miss her tired/squinty eyes. Gave her more character!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    n0ireclipse: hmm yeah looking back on it I think so too, but I really like her eyes the way they are now. I can try to give her more character by giving her a slight smirk and one eyebrow pulled up or something like that.

Here's another update. I found out that her arms were still too long, so I made 'em shorter.
    Some more changes in her face, again made her eyes a little bigger and moved her nose and mouth up a bit.
    some colour adjustments in the background and on her face.
    Tried to make her stomach flatter.
    Some more little details, shark teeth necklace and one with a piranha skull, she's slowly turning into some sort of pirate girl hehe.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like this new one a lot better. Everything looks like it's coming together really well. I'd have to say though, give her stomach a bit more highlight maybe next to the hip done and not on the stomach underneath the navel. That's where it makes her look fat or whatever. The face has a good sheen on it but the stomach is flat looking and could use a bit of highlight to "almost" match that.

I dunno if that helps or not.

Keep at it

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 1