GIANT..critque plz!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

GIANT..critque plz!

ive brought the giant back and ill try to finish this bad boy. heres what ive got so far.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Think about your composition more. It's too un-even now, many things happening in many directions while you have large areas where nothing is happening.

Your objects are not working together in this one, try having them in a similar mood. Like all your people running away from the giant, while he's crushing buildings or they could be hiding while watching some david vs goliath fight with your little hero.

Keep working!

.hugs

Currently doing my internship at Muskedunder Interactive
    portfolio - cghub - deviantart

Thanks
    Thanked 1,130 Times in 479 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    yep I agree with MorteM, the composition is very confusing.

Think about what the most important thing is you want to tell; is it the giant versus the lil' guy, or the people running away with the giant crushing and stomping all over in the background?

Also, I think the huge mushroom in the foreground against the giant in the background doesn't work. The mushroom makes the giant look small somehow.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey thanks alot fellas i see your guysz point. many things are going on and i need to focus on one part . and i realize that the bg isnt working either mainly colorwise. im thinking of warming it up a bit to bring the giant more in focus and maybe put like a burning village to give him more of a story. i gotta tell yah..i kinda like the mushroom and i want to keep it. any suggestions on how to make it work. maybe blur it out or make it smaller? ill experiment with it more but anything can help me out. thanks alot dudes!.
    nate

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hmm I wouldn't blur it and I'm not sure if making it smaller will help. Maybe put some reference beside it, show that it is a normal sized mushroom but seen from up close. Right now for all we know it could be a giant mushroom with normal sized humans on it

Also, the further things are away from the viewer, the paler and lighter it gets (atmospheric perspective), maybe you can use it more extensively (the highlights on the trees in the front are almost of the same value of the trees on both sides of the giant). Always keep in mind however that it is about the giant in this picture.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The giant doesn't look as huge in this forest of Giant Redwoods?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

update

heres an update. darkend the fg and made the mushroom smaller(yes, its suppose to be a gaint mushroom). im starting another mushroom on the other side to balance it out more. i still dont like the bg color but thats what ive got so far. made the gaint a little bigger too. thanks everyone for the suggestions and please keep it coming. thanks.
    nate

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like where this is going. Don't forget the big shadow of the giant on the ground!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Are you going to put that figures running? I liked that idea but maybe you need to think a little more on them... also I think they help to understand the scale. ...well however I believe it's better to not think too much on these details at the moment...
    I have nothing to say yet. It looks very interesting, waiting for more updates.

Last edited by MOCUS; January 17th, 2007 at 11:23 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

bah

hey thanks for the kind words dudes. umm im still at a lose of where the light source is coming from and what time of day this should be. im kinda leaning towards having it be night but theres a burning village behind the trees, and the figure in front of the gaint would be probably holding a lantern. im still thinking about it.

as for the people in the fg, im gonna put them in later. right now im just thinking about the overall enviornment and composition of the piece. but im thinking of adding more people than before. maybe grouped behind the big tree root.

im also thinking of taking out the house. it seems to nice and quaint for the effect im going for(which im still not sure of :/). hopefully ill have another update tonite. thanks again
    nate

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    alright im diggin this so far..im enjoying the lighting and the mood..i like it better without the little house too..any suggestions and critques PLEASE!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The mood in that last one is much better! I really like his left hand, good job on that. I would give those 2 tree's on the left en the right from the giant more detail, some grooves or something.

maybe a silhouette of another little dude in the front that is watching from behind the tree, just an idea though...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

poop

hey thanks man and i still have a long ways to go before i go into more detail, even though ive already gotten a lil ahead of myself, and ill def put more people in there once ive got the environment done. so heres another update. thanks
    nate

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So much better than the very first

the trees next to the giant can be a little lighter it think, right now they have almost the same value as the ones in the foreground. And is that a sunset I see through the trees? that would be cool.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hi
    the idea is great very exiting but the mood of the certain objects appears off and just need some work, but the over all is great

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It reminds of a video game called Shadow of the Colossus. Very good use of colors if you ask me. How about adding some minor details. Its a giant right? Walking around in a forest its bound to attract some attention. Maybe birds flying around it like how some birds land on Rhinos and Elephants would be interesting

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey thanks for the props and suggestions dudes. i have alot more crap to do but school has been kicking my ass, so yeah.

im thinking of the bg being a burning village at night, but sunset sounds cool
    too. as for everything else i still have many more tweaks and details to hit and ill be thinking about the birds suggestion sha izd! thanks agains
    nate

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey there. Nice to see how this is coming along. I like the lantern idea. I also had a random idea that you could put a ray of light shining from behind the giant -- from between the trees behind him and through his legs -- and onto the small figure. Just an idea. It's great that you are on the track to get the lighting more interesting, in any case. One thing that you may want to consider is showing the strength of your character in a subtle way but one in which he interacts with his environment. Take for example where he has his hand on the tree. You could show that the force of his hand is bending the tree ever slightly. At least that's where my imagination goes when I look at this - I imagine that the giant is rummaging through the forest eagerly to get to this person (or village), bending the trees out of his way as he goes. Or...did he perhaps stumble unknowingly upon this figure? Let us know where the story behind this picture goes and share your updates. It's ripe with possibilities.

- spirals

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.