C.O.W. - #073: Hairy Beauty - Voting! - Page 2
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

View Poll Results: Vote for your fav entry regarding the topic!

Voters
106. You may not vote on this poll
  • Kougansharde

0 0%
  • TomCardin

2 1.89%
  • Green Jack

0 0%
  • Woodlandwalker

0 0%
  • Subluminated

0 0%
  • Soulweaver

11 10.38%
  • shaoshao

7 6.60%
  • mattbyng

0 0%
  • AyaXiac

1 0.94%
  • Fozzybar

13 12.26%
  • Gorgoth of Suburbia

0 0%
  • Wasker

0 0%
  • Hyptosis

1 0.94%
  • Larkin2

0 0%
  • redehlert

4 3.77%
  • scorge

0 0%
  • Grendel Grack

10 9.43%
  • Ernie82

0 0%
  • paradoxba

1 0.94%
  • chaosrocks

0 0%
  • khešta

13 12.26%
  • ahbeejieh

3 2.83%
  • Evui

0 0%
  • rafaeljm

2 1.89%
  • JakkaS

15 14.15%
  • ikuru

0 0%
  • Sapphire

0 0%
  • longshao

23 21.70%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    chaosrocks is offline Environment of the Week Leader Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Fozzy my love ..Im totally shocked that you took it to poll. Its oil badly Photo'd on th ewrong paper... incompetatnly Painterd on top of
    it was fun and there is an idea there...really

thanks. made my day by taking it to poll

chaos

To see the world in a grain of sand, and a heaven in a wildflower, hold infinity in the palm of your hand, and eternity in an hour.

Sketch book

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthr...ight=chaos%27s
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Beauty is truly in the eye of the beholder. I apologize up front for my subjective opinions on this COW's crits, but I just found so many entries to be creepy beasties. To me, something that is beautiful shouldn't be creepy. Elegance, grace, a regal bearing, an aura of power and colorful display are all attributes that convey beauty - to me.

I voted for Longshao's beastie...It was one of the best rendered of this COW plus I feel it carried the theme best. Love the fur on it, I can tell that study of real hair and fur shows through.

Kourgansharde - I wanted to do a hairy dragon myself but I saw your post up first and I didn't want to appear to be copying any ones. It looked like yours would rock too, but its too unfinished looking. The hair needed to be rendered more fully and the whole package finished.

Greenjack - I love the environment you created but the creature is very lacking in finishing details. I understand that it looks beautiful to itself but its quite creepy looking to me.

Woodlandwalker - your creature is nicely designed but I don't think its beautiful. It could be rendered better with more detail and form to the hair. Also its pose feels a bit off balance.

Subluminated - Your creature is bright and colorful but very creepy. I think the hair could be rendered better as well.

Soulweaver - Yours is probably the best rendered creature of the bunch, its just not beautiful to me.

JaKKaS - Well rendered and funny. I just feel its more creepy to have an octopus on your head than it is beautiful. I also feel its too human-like. I know its a hairy octopus but looking just like a human head of hair is too human like.

Shaoshao - very beautiful and hairy, however the creature is just too mundane. I feel it needs to look more fantastic, also doesn't look finished enough. The face looks done but the hair needs more detail and form.

AyaXiac - too unfinished looking, hair too scratchily drawn. I wish you had had a chance to finish it.

Fozzybar - beautifully rendered! Love the luminosity and diffuse background. I am mostly bothered by the venomous lance. It looks so much like an octopus that I feel it would move the same way and that lance could be an impairment to feeding and movement.

Wasker - another very funny entry, love the Barbie shoes! It's not a beauty and its not finished looking enough.

Hyptosis - creepy and unfinished looking. The hairyness is minimal. It's funny though.

Gorgoth - Too mundane of a creature, unfinished looking. Needs more detail and lighting work. Good regal bearing but the hairyness doesn't seem to be too integral to it because the hair just isn't detailed enough.

Larkin2 - Cute but not beautiful. The rendering is nice but it appears too diffused and undetailed. I can't understand the physiology of the tail.

Sapphire - nice looking hairy beauty. Needs to be more finished and the anatomy of the legs seems off and asymmetrical. The hair can use more rendering to give it realism and form. Examine how light on hair works.

Scorge - love the backstory, but the creature looks too off-balance and stiff for a two legged runner. There seems to be a lot of detail to the face that needs a larger image to show. You should definitely go larger with your main image.

Grendal Grack - Good regal bearing and elegance...love that the creatures hair was "done up". Too mundane of a creature though and the background is giving the whole image an unfinished look, though you rendered the hair well.

Redehlert - great looking cthulian, tentacles are very well rendered and textured. The hair appears to be an afterthought though. Very creepy. A well groomed nightmare. It screams out for slimy highlights on its glistening bare flesh.

Rafaeljm - Beautifully rendered hair and a beautiful creature, this is my second choice...Needs to be a more fantastical creature, face and nose are anatomically my housecats. This creature just needs a better pose with action and energy.

Evui - lovely creature. Good mythological look to it. I give this my third choice. Needs to be more realistically illustrated, its graphical look is making it look too unreal.

Khe"ta - Beautiful but just too unfinished and too human-like with some details and expression. Nice furry. Also needs description of itself.

Ernie - nicely done critter. A bit mundane...would love to have seen its tail display going even bigger and beautiful. Overall just not beautiful enough, though it does show some beautiful qualities.

I would love to get some constructive criticism of my entry. I got only one comment in the actual cow thread and nothing that helped me understand what people like or don't like about my creature. I am eager to create something that gets peoples attention but I am having a hard time understanding what everyone is looking for. I see attention spent on less finished rendering and on people who's names we all recognize. I want to get better at my painting and I encourage everyone's crits.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I wanted to vote for soul weaver. It is a lovely rendition that reminds me of the illustrations one can find in National Geographic magazines. Very well done.

But as I kept on scrolling down, I saw the piece by rafaeljm. That fur is REALLY well rendered! And having attempted painting fur and hair quite a few times now - I have to give extra points for such a lovely rendition!!!

longshao I might have voted for you - it might be the the coolest piece here - but I wish you had posted a bigger picture of it.
    ikuru - Most surreal and insane piece here Good job!
    redehlert - Cute and funny, plus solid execution. You should get quite a few votes.
    Grendel Grack - One of my favourites here, no doubt. This belongs in a Zelda game or something that involves electronic products from Japan! Very sweet. Maybe make the fur a little shinier next time - highlights are eyecatching and a cheap trick to get votes
    Tom Cardin - That looks too much like the opening where babies comes from. Shame on you
    JakkaS - solid as usual, just not as scrumptious as a JakkaS-Power-Entry.
    Fozzybar - Another very solid entry. Nice and clean piece - nothing to shake a stick at! I could see this in an old school space shooter, where I have to dodge this creature with my little space ship. Fozzy, I AM SO PROUD OF MY STAR AND THE BUNNY-EARS!!! Thank You

Last edited by dragon4lunch; January 15th, 2007 at 11:52 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey TomCardin, thanks for the crit! I agree. Unfortunately, photobucket sort of mushed it up and made it look less distinct than I tried to render it. Here's a more defined version. With more time, I will give the hair the attention it deserves. (I love to render fur!) I was sort of going for a pastel-on-toned paper look.

http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/46739610/

I will continue to work on it, and keep the crits in mind.

Also, which about the legs needs fixing, the actual digits themselves, or their placement? (There are four on each side, with two showing from the opposite side.) I'll have fun working it all out.

Your piece was beautifully rendered. I love the flowing, glowing look. The only reason I didn't choose yours was because, although it was pretty, it seemed a little too amorphous. I particularly like where the warm toned and cool toned hair meet.

Last edited by Sapphire; January 16th, 2007 at 01:40 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by TomCardin
    The hair needed to be rendered more fully and the whole package finished.
    Thanks for the comments! I agree on the hair. I'm new to the digital platform, and I'm still struggling with it. I swear I'm trying hard to work on my skills, and I hope my next entry is going to be better. Now I'm just observing others' entries and learning from them.

Could you go into more specifics if possible? Hair is bad, too stiff? And are the shadows in the right place?

I'm a game designer by day, and a hobbyist artist by night.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Voted for Jakkas, although I particularly liked the entries of Soulweaver, Foz, Redehlert and Ahbeejieh.

I'd welcome some input as to what I need to do to 'finish' my design off. Perhaps the skin is a little smooth? It has texture and veining up close, but it doesn't come across at an 800x600 level of detail. Maybe I'm working too close again and need to take a broader view. In retrospect I should have used opaques for the background layers and not just altered the opacity, that way I woulldn't get foliage showing through other foliage.

Still lots to learn and open to critique.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here is a tutorial I like for drawing hair:
    http://www.rebekahlynn.com/free/tuto..._tutorial.html

Best explanation I have for Kougansharde is that your hair need structure and form. Its loose and you've drawn many many individual strands but they remain loose and individual. Hope that helps.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My vote goes to: Fozzybar.
    Incandescent creatures of the deep always look beautiful. Love the texture going on in there, nicely rendered.

Crit would be: I just think that needle-like weapon that it has for a snout is too long. What if it defends itself from a huge predator and gets itself stuck impaled in the predator? Those tentacles up front dont look powerful enough to pull itself out.

That's it. Just a nitpick.

Cool posts from everyone! Thanks for the comments and crits on my piece!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by dragon4lunch
    ikuru - Most surreal and insane piece here Good job!
    Hey Dude! Im really glad you like it.
    I'm real happy with it.

Last edited by ikuru; January 16th, 2007 at 04:06 AM.

Fozzybar is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Evui
    Long shao would have gotten my vote if I had seen the entry sooner ;_;
    if you're serious about it i will change it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by DanRamey
    Hey, my entry wasn't posted, did I break a rule or something? Please let me know what happened.
    Read post# 8!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenjack
    I'd welcome some input as to what I need to do to 'finish' my design off. Perhaps the skin is a little smooth? It has texture and veining up close, but it doesn't come across at an 800x600 level of detail. Maybe I'm working too close again and need to take a broader view. In retrospect I should have used opaques for the background layers and not just altered the opacity, that way I woulldn't get foliage showing through other foliage.

Still lots to learn and open to critique.
    the thing which bothers me most in your entry is that the creature looks like cut and pasted on to the background. The edges are to sharp and clean. I assume that it is on an own layer. My suggestion is, pick a brush and draw along the edges with the proper colors, that way you get smoother edges and more dynamic/organic shapes, which will emphasize the authenticity of your work.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My vote goes to
    shaoshao
    It is a simple image (regarding the complexity and compared to some other entries), but you hit the nail on the head by realizing the 2 attributes (hairy + beautiful) perfectly! Love the aristrocatic and elegant pose.

Only crit is, that the front legs seem to have a different anatomy. Its right legs knee bends to the front (like on human legs) and its left front leg bends to the back (like on dog legs).

oh and while the rendering on the head and body is simple but pretty, on the legs (especially the back legs) it's only simple

other favs:

redehlert
    WOW! Do you know, that this entry is one of your best renderings so far? It is really outstanding and has an awesome depth and visual impact. I was sure to vote for you as you posted, but then i thought that it actually misses the beauty point, though you might be sexually attracted by this one So, you got my vote for technical approach

JakkaS
    Hey, you stinky zombie!
    What do i need to say, everyone here on the forums know, that you are the COW-King...and your entries always are eyecandy and the concepts are well thought...the reason why you didn't get my vote is because you made also an octopus, haha....no, just kidding...it is actually the same one i had for redehlert, but i like the twist in your idea, that the beauty is related to a wigs function, like used to make people more beautiful...still shaoshao beat it for me with his simplicity...whatever 13 stars are ENOUGH! hehe.....*runs away*

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Fozzybar
    if you're serious about it i will change it.
    I'm serious!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    khe ta The boobs on you cutesy creature are disturbing man, it's just wrong. Nice hair though

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Evui
    I'm serious!!
    done!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey all...thanks for the votes (except ikuru...sneaky bastige hahaaa! kiddin' man, i know ya secretly love me).
    foz...i've been doin' my damndest to improve. i appreciate the support and hope to beat you to five stars, although it appears that you're kickin' my arse this week. sweet.
    lots of luv for ya, furrball.
    cheers!
    d

There is no "I" in team, but there is an "I" in pie. And there's an "i" in meat pie. Meat is the anagram of team...~Shaun "Shaun of the Dead"
    http://www.cognitionstudio.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ah damn, there was this intern race we made out....now i remember...well i don't need to sorrow...as long some JakkaSes and Tyranxes are floating around

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I voted for longshao. Truly a beautiful creature, regal and elegant, with highly plausible and functional anatomy, an appearance that really suggests a cold, antarctic-type wilderness, and also, a damn cute little baby. The values could have done more to indicate volume, especially on the forelegs. Focus more on having an easily readable form than on precisely rendering every little bit of texture detail that you can. Though, you did do a very nice job on all the textures here.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    did you have a senior moment, foz? forgetting things already? you and me, baby...a race to five. or at this rate...a race to two. hahahahaa!
    cheers!
    d

There is no "I" in team, but there is an "I" in pie. And there's an "i" in meat pie. Meat is the anagram of team...~Shaun "Shaun of the Dead"

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My vote went to longshao. The reason is because, to me, something that conotes beauty is majestic and powerful, graceful...it's something that when you look at it, your first thought is, 'Wowwww'.

Though many of the entires were beautifully rendered and though they were interesting concepts, most of them gave off a creepy or evilish feeling. The only three entries that really made my eyes dilate where longshao's, khe'ta's and fozz's entries. Of the three, I weighted the rendering and the feelings that they conveyed and longshao's entry just had that awe-inpiring factor that got him my vote.

Khe'ta...lovely creature, gorgeous color choices. I just feel that she could have been rendered a little bit more realistically, especially for the body fur. Also, I didn't feel that the human-like breasts added to her, she would have worked just as nicely without them.

Fozz...he's so cute...I love the soft glow and he has a lot of grace. Alas, cute isn't beautiful in my eye. He IS beautifully rendered though.

Longshao...he's magnificent. That's the only word for him. Grace, power, presence...Someone could not fail to notice him sitting on that cliff. The only crit I could give would be to seperate the little one a little more....right now, he gets lost in his daddy's massive legs and I originally thought he was part of the larger beast.

Lovely work everyone!

Shannon Rochon
    Illustration/Graphics
    http://www.shaart.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Voted Longshao. I really digged the serenity of the creature, which made it beautiful in a special way. I'm not a big fan of the big amount of image space the story takes up compared to the picture. I would liked to have seen a bigger picture and the story as normal text under the image. And when I look at the main pic, the animal looks quite a bit larger then the scale comparison pic. But great work nevertheless.

Runner ups
    Redehlert: Awesome rendering, octopi were the trend this round, this is among the finest.

Jakkas: Excellent concept. You sir, have a great imagination. I liked the rawness of the initial sketch just a bit more though. Maybe the total blonde look had a more natural beauty feeling to it.

Soulweaver: Nice and detailed render. Not very hairy or beauty from the first look, but excellent piece.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ...so many entries!!!

Alright, all worth mentioning.
    khe¨ta, Hyptosis, ahbeejieh, rafaeljm, shaoshao

top contenders
    Fozzybar, Jakkas, Longshao, Soulweaver

Longshao gets my vote. Pretty much goes with the whole idea behind the concept here. Very believable creature. Sure, it could maybe be a slightly larger size and use some tweaking in details...but there just tiny nit-picky things to a great piece.

jakkas was a insanely close second. Brilliant idea and it's a totally different spin from the other entries.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the crits and comments.
    supervlieg–I'll keep the image and text seperate next time. I see what you're saying, the text gets really distracting.
    Voted for fozzy. The creature and the environment is really well rendered. My only nit would be the eyes. The eye don't seem to be the most appropriate for deep sea a creature IMO.
    ahbeejieh-my second choice. I like the your concept and colors. But fozzy's octopus is more beautiful IMO.
    khe''ta-fantastic creature! The fur and hair is so vibrant. The boobs though, are too human-like.
    shaoshao-I like the way you rendered the fur. It's more "graphic" than the other hairs up there. The hind feet could use a little more structure.
    jakkas-unique idea. I would never think of putting an octopus on my head. I wish the creature itself to be a little different from the wig, right now it just look like the octopus landed on someone's head.
    soulweaver-lovely creature, but it could use a little more hair.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yesterday, before leaving the forum I was walking up and down inbetween jakkas , soulweaver and redehlert's works, so I decided to write today and slept;

jakkas's creature, from the beginning first time I opened this page was the most powerful work to me, bacause it really was also a very creative charactere design besides it's free artistic work, and I liked it's story too

soulweaver's detailed work, skillful rendering and the evening light and relaxing exspress in the creature's face and all was very nice, but the creature wasn't surprising enough, somehow I felt like it's an animal that I'm familiar with, maybe it' should have been a proof for it's goodness

redehlert's work with it's free technique and line work, the texture rendering and expression was cool, his explanation about the creatures hypnotising eyes was reasonable but yet I hesitated a bit cause I too was looking for some beauty and elegance at least lovelyness due to the concept ( still great work redehlert ! )

but longshao's final work made my vote crystal clear today. With the realistic, yet in it's own reality rendering and atmosphere, lovely face and deep light eyes of the creature and it's baby, their not too shiny because of the cold fur, the light, the fog this entry got my heart. Excellent work, feast for my eyes and also my imagination. Truly brings anotherwhere. I think this is called concept art.
    A lot to learn...

Well ladies and gentlemen, my vote went to longshao's hairy beauty !

Other than that :

Fozzybar, beautiful work, hard to confess but just because it is white and simple-plain this beautiful work seemed less attractive than others to me

TomJardin, very detailed and impressive and beautiful, I loked many many times again and again yet I needed to see brighter colors

shaoshao (beautifull lovely face), ayaxiac, GorgothofSuburbia, all seem to be very nice works but uncomplete yet ( like mine )

larkin2, ahbeejieh, rafaeljm, all are beautiful works but they stand on a very critical point, like ; we can call them complete but yet they need something, something is unsufficient, closer brushwork, sharper and more details maybe?

finally :

Sapphire,Influx, evui, tom cardin, dragon4lunch, silken, Enchantedgal, fughi from yuggoth, Kougansharde, mr-nick, wheezy
    taking comment for my first entry is very precious to me, thanks for your critics and-or your votes.

1 - Actually I wrote a short concept writing in the following post after the image, it was a mistake I think, cause naturally fozzybar mainly checked the entries with image.
    So here it is again :

Well, this is "Celluta"
    She is a felinelike dragonish butterfly with wings of hair. She is the spirit of transformation of all winter species.
    Before her own transformation, she lived in the island groups that once took place in current Anatolia 8.000.000 years before present, during an ice age. Now she exists in etheric plane and materialises her self once a year in a cave on Mt.Ararat to transform winter's vitality into a higher vibration.

2 - I see that you are right about the breasts.
    Actually, taking it as sign for fertility I intended to make her with eight breasts like Kybele (or Artemis or Diana, however you want to call the mother godess) because she was an Anatolian creature, but then I found it weird and left just the first two, this was the main intention, later I couldn't percieve it since you critique, I take it, thank you.

Trashy and Longshao thank you too.

Last edited by khešta; January 16th, 2007 at 05:53 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It would be verry nice if anyone could crit my entry.
    If you think it sucks than please tell me in what way, so that I can improve,
    It would be highly apreciated if anyone felt like telling me the harsh truth. Or what could have made things more apealing or whatever.
    (I heard from someone that I should change the muppet eyes, I will agree on that and test it for some more realism, same person thought I should bring down the horizon and ad more detail in the bg, I might agree on this too.)

so plz anyhting will be highly apreciated thank you.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by ikuru; January 16th, 2007 at 07:39 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i didn't think it sucked in the very least...nice, clean, atmospheric and calm. just quick thoughts.
    cheers,
    d

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by redehlert
    i didn't think it sucked in the very least...nice, clean, atmospheric and calm. just quick thoughts.
    cheers,
    d
    Thanks allot red, what I ment was, maybe people found it boring or whatever.

Sometimes its hard to know in what direction you should procede to develope your style and make more interesting entrys or whatever.

Maybe it is only through trial and error that we can understand what work or not.

itŽs is frustrating at times though. I guess one should try not to compete with the crowds or whatever and just messure heŽs on development with heŽs earlyer works.
    Anyhow...
    Thanx!
    and good night

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Not that I would argue with where anyone votes, of course... but considering Moai's Dogfood quoted signature, I am surprised he didn't vote differently.

I think all of us at one time or another has wanted to wear an octopus on our heads...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ikuru It's a creepy image which is at the same time funny. The creature looks like a Muppet Show character of sorts... There are certainly thing you could have improved though:

The creature itself is not very well defined. The beak for example. Beaks are fairly easy to render - make sure you ligthen the area that is closest to the camera (that is the easiest way to do it, but of course dependent on the light source). The form of the body is so dark, I don't know what the creature really looks like, which I guess can be ok even in concept art if you are never supposed to see the creature completely. But for practical purpose, if somebody had to build the thing, show us what the body really looks like. Are those "hills" its arms? Is the fur shiny or dull? Are the eyes wet at all? Highlights!

The dudes have anatomical problems. The guys with their backs to us have short torsos and are not well rendered. Maybe you should have made them aliens, not human. And maybe much small, so that the funky hair creature is much larger?

Hope that helps

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 1