Art: recent illustration dump

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

recent illustration dump

hey all... some stuff that got finished after i moved from silicon valley to Virginia. most of this stuff had a bunch of work done on it (if not all) on my laptop with a graphire. Some is a bit rushed since during the move i lost about 2 weeks worth of work time bein' busy, stressed, and then sick.

anyway, deadlines don't chage.

first batch of stuff is for the Shadowfist CCG... Red Wedding will be unveiled at Gen Con... maybe i'll see you there?

recent illustration dump
    recent illustration dump
    recent illustration dump

this one's the cover illo for the poster/program for the Con Quest convention back in the bay area. recent illustration dump

this one's for something else, and not sure if it should be here, and might yank it later tonight when i find out, but i could use the feedback.
    recent illustration dump

that's it for right now.
    on the 'Fist stuff, i'm probably going to refine a bit for print sales, so i'll be considering hitting them again with some more detail/polish.
    fire away,
    jerO

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    the aerobic kung fu fighters are good. The only thing that bothers me with all these is that it seems like your lines are blurry...Good job on them though..very good.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks.
    yeah, the technique i've been using for awhile tends to do that. And i should probably stop... if i grab painter8 i'll probably have to change some stuff around and that'll hopefully help in the long run. I've been trying to find some way short of laying lines back in to actually tighten stuff up a bit more.

on the painter thing, Painter Classic plays a huge role in all the stuff on there, and i use oil pastel and sharp chalk with the water tool set to "grainy water" a lot.

this is with the old metacreations painter classic... btw. the new one doesn't have the "grainy water" thing that i can see... i mostly use it to flatten out planes of color in areas, so that's really part of my problem at the heart of it. I scribble and scribble and then try to sculpt the area out, then scribble some more. I need to sit down and just practice going "wait, wait, think, lay down the final area of color, think, wait, paint". or something.

any tips?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,199 Times in 254 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Well done jero

You've been improving at rapid speed

the last one is very well done, reminds me of something i would see in a childern's bible illustration book.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks davi... but that's like pot-calling-kettle-black... you're almost lapping me in the "quality jump since last year this time" race.

Thanks for the feedback on that one. I'm glad the AD gave me time to polish it after i got my machine back.

Last edited by jerO; July 5th, 2003 at 12:55 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Jero!

I think there's one thing I noticed from your work and in talking with you, and it is that you seem to be spreading yourself a little too thin with all the freelancing jobs and such. Perhaps you should spend more time really practicing and trying out new tech and methods, cleaning up the rendering, pushing it a lot further than you are doing now -- I know you are capable of this, but don't give yourself enough time to do it, which is a bit of a shame.

If you have a steady paying job and can afford to, I suggest taking in less contracts and using that time to study and practice.

I probably come off as an *sshole writing this, but, I think you can do better than this, but need to work at it some more. You've all to gain from doing so. (more money from less contracts).

Cheers!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    jerO,

I'm with Frost on that matter.
    Many of your painings look rushed and not thought out. The final edge that makes a piece serious is missing.

Luck!

Marko

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey jero..here u got some goodies all and all..like they said..most of the images are alil blury as the outline is not obvious enough..it'll be better if its darken or slicken up the edgesi like the acrobatic or the so called kung fu piece.nicely done for the posture.
    keep it up ~~would love to see more of urs

[FONT="Arial Black"][URL="http://michaelzhsee.cgsociety.org/gallery/"]

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    so in an effort to try and provide a more narrow platform for crit, i'm starting to go in and refine the "blue piece".

http://www.valleydweller.com/fist/di...yspirity2a.jpg
    so far, i've only hit the lower left of it.

i'll replace this with the pic when it gets to where i'd consider "done", hopefully within a couple of days.

as far as technique, this thread should give you some insight into my working methods: WIP thread on Sijun from last year sometime

I've actually changed process a bit since then, as mentioned above in my "painter classic" thingy.

anyway, what i'm trying to get to is a "here's where i am, if you look at my stuff and the stuff on my homepage and can see where i'm heading, if there's any examples/techniques/etc that you think will help me get across the hump, i'd appreciate 'em.

thanks,
    jerO

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.