Atelier-friendly scholarships and awards

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Atelier-friendly scholarships and awards

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Atelier-friendly scholarships and awards

This thread is to help those of you attending ateliers find scholarship and award money.

We want to collect a list of awards that have as few restrictions as possible and do not require the recipient to be attending an accredited school.

Post any info that you know about.

Last edited by emily g; January 20th, 2007 at 04:58 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to emily g For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    American Spirit Publishing Portrait of America Scholarship Contest

Original photograph or artwork, which represents your Portrait of America.
    Must be a U.S. citizen
    Must be enrolled in high school for the 2005-2006 school year: public, private, or home school are all acceptable

Note: The website says "The winner will receive a $500 cash prize that they may use however they wish. We suggest you save or invest it to help pay for college, but it's up to you."

Edit: I hope they are doing it again this year? I am having trouble finding current info on the website.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to emily g For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The Elizabeth Greenshields Foundation: Artist Grant

Funds representational or figurative artists working in the early stages of their careers in painting, drawing, printmaking, or sculpture only. Applicants must have started or completed art school training or must demonstrate, through work and future plans, a commitment to making art a lifetime career. Funds may be used for any art-related purpose including study, travel, studio rental, purchase of materials, etc.
    Grants: Up to $12,500 (Canadian $)

greenshields@bellnet.ca
    egreen@total.net
    Application (pdf)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    National Foundation for Advancement in the Arts (NFAA)

"This program provides recognition and awards to young 17- and 18- year old artists in the performing, literary and visual arts."

http://www.nfaa.org/disciplines/varts.htm
    More specific info about the visual arts awards.

From the FAQs page:
    "Do I have to major in my category/discipline to win an award?
    No, you do not have to major in your category/discipline. You do not even have to go to college to win an NFAA ARTS award."

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    L. Ron Hubbard's Writer's and Illustrators of the Future

quarterly prizes totaling $1,500. One yearly prize of $5000.

I found out about it through fastweb. The rules say its a cash prize and dont mention any neccissity to be a student.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    About the Illustrators of the Future, You get $500.00 if you win at the quarterly level, plus $150.00 for the publication of your winning illustration. You don't have to be a student and there is no age requirement. The only restriction is that you can not have had more than three published works.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Was browsing the Scottsdale Art School and noticed their scholarship section;
    http://www.scottsdaleartschool.org/scholarships.html

For those of you who don't know - Scottsdale is huge for fine arts and this school is huge too. Big big names

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This looks like a great scholarship for ateliers.

The StraightForward Media Art School Scholarships
    They give a $500 scholarship four times a year, so there are lots of opportunities to apply.
    Deadlines are on the site, but the next one is Feb. 28.

The best part about this scholarship is that they are really flexible about what kind of art school you are going to. All you have to do is explain in your essay why your school should count. You can read more about it here.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The Los Angeles Academy of Figurative Art Atelier; mentions scholarships and is an amazing school.
    http://laafa.org/atelier/info/index....d=scholarships

Edit: I'm blind; check this out too:
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=90666
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=90696

Last edited by Idiot Apathy; February 28th, 2007 at 09:28 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The Art Renewal Center offers scholarships every year to attend ateliers that are on their approved list.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well, I have done TONS of searching... these types of scholarships are hard to find.

All i have found so far is: http://www.patricias-scholarship.org/faq.html

It just says "You must be attending or planning to attend an institute of higher education in the 2008-2009 school year. An institute of higher education usually means any schooling beyond high school. International students are also welcome to apply."

Sounds like you could use it for an atelier.

I sure wish I could find more of these...

Sketchbook.

"Art is the proper task of life. "
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    http://www.gallerycollection.com/scholarship.htm

Here is another one that I think applies to artists and it sounds like you could use it for an atelier. I don't qualify for it but I am sure some of you do. It says you have to be enrolled in some sort of program already to participate... so either high school, undergrad, or graduate.

Kind of a cool scholarship contest actually...

Copy and pasted from the rules section:

"PRIZE AND AWARD. Scholarship Prize: The applicant with the winning entry will receive a cash scholarship of $10,000.00. If the Winner is enrolled in an educational institution, the Scholarship will be paid directly to the institution so far as is necessary to complete payment of the Winnerís tuition, fees, and books and supplies expenses. Any remainder of the scholarship will be paid directly to the Winner. Where the Winner is a minor, the Scholarship will be awarded to the Winnerís parent or guardian, as custodian for the Winner, or to his or her educational institution as above, if the parent or guardian so prefers."

Sketchbook.

"Art is the proper task of life. "
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks so much for looking for these LifeWontWait. I know they are hard to find, but hopefully we can build up a little collection here.

I think the first scholarship might be usable for ateliers because the definition of "institute of higher education" isn't very specific.

Yeah, the 2nd scholarship requires that you must be enrolled a program that ends with the awarding of a diploma or a degree. But any money left over is paid to the winner and can probably be used later for an atelier. Or if you're a minor, the money goes to a parent and can maybe be used later at an atelier.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think this counts because of the "and/or" clause right in the beginning. If not, then sorry! :-P

Charles G. Greenshields, Q.C., of Montreal founded The Elizabeth Greenshields Foundation in 1955, in memory of his mother, whose name is embodied in the title. The objective of the Foundation is to promote, by its charitable activities, an appreciation of traditional expression in painting, drawing, sculpture and printmaking, by aiding worthy art students, artists or sculptors who need further training or other assistance during their formative years.

Awards are limited to candidates in the early stages of their careers and who are working in a representational style in painting, drawing, sculpture and printmaking. The terms of the Foundation's Charter preclude consideration of non-objective art. Applicants who are being considered for a grant may be asked to supply supporting documentation.

To be eligible for a grant, candidates must:
    • have already started or completed training in an established school of art; and/or
    • demonstrate, through past work and future plans, a commitment to making art a lifetime career.
    • The Foundation will not accept applications from commercial artists, photographers, video artists, filmmakers, craft-makers or any artist whose work falls primarily into these categories.
    • The Charter of the Foundation precludes the consideration of non-objective art.
    • The Foundation is neither a school nor a gallery. It does not conduct classes or organize exhibitions.
    • Grants are made directly to the beneficiaries – not through other organizations.
    • Although grants are normally $12,500 (Canadian), the Foundation reserves the right to award grants in other amounts.
    • The Foundation welcomes applications throughout the year.
    • No Internet submissions accepted.
    • Submitted CD will not be returned.
    • Slides are no longer accepted.

To apply: You have to email (greenshields @ bellnet.ca) to get the application. I would just attach it, but it exceeds the size limit allowed.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mescher For This Useful Post:

Members who have read this thread: 3