It's plain...

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: It's plain...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Arrow It's plain...

This picture is for a Secret Santa thing on another site.
    I actually tried my hardest on this and everything, but it just looks off.
    There's no real source of light and the shadows look off.

I would love if someone could help me by telling me how to change this.

The colors also look to bright. Even after I tried darkening them.pld:
    Also if you see anything else wrong please tell me.
    It's plain...

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    study an anatomy book!! use real referances! the arms arn't long enough on the blond boy. my advise is mainly use real picture references for getting the proportions right. and draw the bodies first add the cloths later otherwise it's really easy to make mistakes. look up refernces on deviantart. your bond to find some

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It might just be that the reason the colours look too bright isn't because they're not dark enough, but because they're large blocks of colour, and because they're a little on the oversaturated side. Try experimenting with more muted colours, and see how it affects your work.
    I'd also suggest you take a look at your light and shade - examining the character's eyes, the three on the left seem to be lit from the left, and the blond boy on the right seems to be lit from the opposite direction. Examining the blonde girl's chest, however, reveals the lighting to be from above, and the background shows no signs of light and shade at all!
    You could also push for darker shadows, if you felt so inclined - I can barely see the darker shades.

I wish you the best of luck with this drawing. You've obviously worked very hard on it, and effort is half the battle.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    What did you have in mind for a finished piece when you started this? If you were going for a very stylised cartoony look then I think you pullled it off pretty well, coz that kind of thing uses more blocky colour and figures with different proportions. If you were going for realism then you need to work on your fundamental skills a lot before attempting a complex piece with lots of figures, coz getting poses and proportions right on 4 figures taht are all interacting is extremely difficult.
    Let me know what look you were going for and ill try and give you some better help. I agree with Wilderdash though, effort is half the battle, and if you are willing to put a lot of effort in, then it only takes time to get where you want to be!

Nick

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by space-sprayer
    What did you have in mind for a finished piece when you started this? If you were going for a very stylised cartoony look then I think you pullled it off pretty well, coz that kind of thing uses more blocky colour and figures with different proportions. If you were going for realism then you need to work on your fundamental skills a lot before attempting a complex piece with lots of figures, coz getting poses and proportions right on 4 figures taht are all interacting is extremely difficult.
    Let me know what look you were going for and ill try and give you some better help. I agree with Wilderdash though, effort is half the battle, and if you are willing to put a lot of effort in, then it only takes time to get where you want to be!

Nick
    Hmm..well I wasn't going for realism. If I was then I was a long way off. Thank you so much for critiquing, I'll be sure to do the fundamental skills thing.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilderdash
    It might just be that the reason the colours look too bright isn't because they're not dark enough, but because they're large blocks of colour, and because they're a little on the oversaturated side. Try experimenting with more muted colours, and see how it affects your work.
    I'd also suggest you take a look at your light and shade - examining the character's eyes, the three on the left seem to be lit from the left, and the blond boy on the right seems to be lit from the opposite direction. Examining the blonde girl's chest, however, reveals the lighting to be from above, and the background shows no signs of light and shade at all!
    You could also push for darker shadows, if you felt so inclined - I can barely see the darker shades.

I wish you the best of luck with this drawing. You've obviously worked very hard on it, and effort is half the battle.
    I'm going to risk sounding quite stupid...but muted colors are more towards the grey side right? I do agree that the shadows aren't dark enough though. It's just when I try to do darker shadows they look weird.
    Is it okay to use dark blues or reds or whatevers for the shadows instead of their skin tone darker?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by toshiami
    study an anatomy book!! use real referances! the arms arn't long enough on the blond boy. my advise is mainly use real picture references for getting the proportions right. and draw the bodies first add the cloths later otherwise it's really easy to make mistakes. look up refernces on deviantart. your bond to find some
    I will try all that.
    Thank you so much for critiquing me and next time I'll make a much nicer picture!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    do you know how to section the bodies out into shapes?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    do you know how to section the bodies out into shapes?

Even though I'm not quite sure what you mean, I don't think I do that

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    http://elfwood.lysator.liu.se/farp/f...struction.html
    this is a pretty good site it's shows how to draw the human body by sectioning it'll help you understand body movement and help with proportioning

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    http://elfwood.lysator.liu.se/farp/f...struction.html
    this is a pretty good site it's shows how to draw the human body by sectioning it'll help you understand body movement and help with proportioning
    Thank you! I will be sure to bookmark that site and use it next time

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by xAristax
    I'm going to risk sounding quite stupid...but muted colors are more towards the grey side right? I do agree that the shadows aren't dark enough though. It's just when I try to do darker shadows they look weird.
    Is it okay to use dark blues or reds or whatevers for the shadows instead of their skin tone darker?
    I'd hardly say you sound stupid for asking - I was a little concerned that I'd phrased that badly.
    And yes, that's what I mean when I say muted colours.

As for the shadows, try experimenting.
    When I'm shading digital art, I generally eyeball shadows darker, bluer (I usually have cool shadows and a warm light source), and less saturated than the colour of whatever the shadow's being cast on.

Good luck!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilderdash
    I'd hardly say you sound stupid for asking - I was a little concerned that I'd phrased that badly.
    And yes, that's what I mean when I say muted colours.

As for the shadows, try experimenting.
    When I'm shading digital art, I generally eyeball shadows darker, bluer (I usually have cool shadows and a warm light source), and less saturated than the colour of whatever the shadow's being cast on.

Good luck!
    Ok, thank you alot for all the help you've been giving me, and next time I draw a picture I'll be sure to use the advice everyone's given me.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.