Been practicin
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Been practicin

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Been practicin

I've been messing around with paints in real life so I decided to give Corel Painter IX a shot, and I gotta say I'm loving it. I'm not quite good enough to paint really detailed stuff so I'm giving a shot at painting this idea I had in my head. It's supposed to be a village burning in a very hilly area with mountains. I wanna put like a raiding party on the horizon but I can't quite figure out how to do that. If anyone could give me some ideas I'd greatly appreciate it.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I can't give you any pointers where this program is concerned, but I can say the tops of the mountains and the edges of the fire are exceptionally well - but the rest is a bit blurry and undefined... I'm sure it will come along well with more updates! I'm sure if you google the program you might find something, at list some pointers.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thank you

Hmmm, I guess my best bet is to just keep practicing, but with my painting classes coming up I'm hoping I'll learn at an advanced pace. Thanks for the comments though, I'll try to refine it as much as I can

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh...its a painting, sorry didn’t notice. Not to be rude or anything but this looks like just random colour on a canvas.

If you want people to see what you are drawing make sure you sketch up everything first or at least think about how you want things to look so you know every shape and form in you head before you draw it on the screen/canvas.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,344 Times in 1,123 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    There's very little sense of perspective/depth/distance here, and your colour choices are overly saturated. Your fire is WAY too yellow for such a large fire, we should be seeing much more reds and oranges (get a reference for it)

If you're not good at drawing/painting detailed things to communicate your idea and want to get better, draw more detailed things from life (like buildings or whatever you want to paint good) If you're not good at drawing/painting detailed things to communicate your idea and you still just want to paint vague things that have a private meaning in the subject matter, then still draw and paint from life to get better at it, as you can't simplify something until you really know how it looks normally.

Compositionally I don't know what you're trying to do. make sure you have all your elements sketched out before you dive into a painting, this makes sure everything is present to be seen and 'judged' in its space; The village is so far in the corner, it's not the focal point anymore. My eyes are dragged to the center by the smoke and small window of blue, yet nothing is there. even if something was, there's a large unused space to the left. even if there was something interesting there, you'd have 3 elements evenly spaced with no emphasis on any of them.

My advice: start over. Think about what's important in this scene. Is it the rading party? Is it the devastation of the village? Is it the refugee onlooker viewing it from the mountain miles away? Once you know what's most important, you have your focal point. Your focal point should stand out in some way, and beg the viewer to view it first. making it larger, having it's elements contrast more etc will help achieve this.

And ALWAYS make preliminary sketches before you do anything. Most of the work is done before you add a drop of colour.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ya you guys are right, I was kind of just messing around with painters functionality and this started to come up. At first I was just going with the flow but I see how that can cause problems now. I'll be sure to practice more on real life subjects with more preliminary sketches since I'm better at sketching anyways.. Thanks for all your advice, I've been needing some and I appreciate all your comments.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,344 Times in 1,123 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by afrodcyack
    Ya you guys are right, I was kind of just messing around with painters functionality and this started to come up. At first I was just going with the flow but I see how that can cause problems now. I'll be sure to practice more on real life subjects with more preliminary sketches since I'm better at sketching anyways.. Thanks for all your advice, I've been needing some and I appreciate all your comments.
    If you're just fartin' around that's fine too, nothing wrong with learning how to use a paint program. Sorry if my crit was harsh or anything, sometimes I forget that people do art sometimes just to mess about

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh no worries, my friend. I love direct and real criticism. You were correct in the things you say and if I am always told the wrong thing how can I do it, right? I prefer to be told what I'm doing wrong in other words. 'Tis the way to greatness :-P

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.