Give me all you got!
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Give me all you got!

Hey! I'm kind of new to all of this and still, I'm attending a CG-school in Sweden. We are currently working on a character concept that we later on will model and import into Unreal Tournament 2004. This is my first draft:

Now I want all of you to give me all the critique you can give! It is supposed to be some sort of a post-apocalyptic sniper. The gas-mask is far from done (everything else as well but at least a little more done than the mask) but please come with suggestions of detail and so on. I also want some coloring/shading-advice! For example: How do I create the "waves" in the coat (leather) and such. I'm such a noob at this and I would be extremely greatful for any good advice!

If you need some explanation on something then please ask! I really wanna get into this now! =)

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    First things first.
    That pose is really only used by those who are hiding the hands...Or using an 'evil plot maker mwhahaha' pose from a slightly boring angle.

If he's a sniper, perhaps he should have his gun? And maybe be in an action pose so you can get a feel for the character? Just a suggestion.

As for folds, and feeling leather out? There are tons and tons of tutorials about folds online. Here's a whole bunch of different ones, for different things, I found from google.
    http://www.polykarbon.com/tutorials/index.htm

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    this picture has a lot of proportional issues going on... body to narrow and long, arms are not bent right (and I suggest having them crossed in front of them, this position isn't working at all.) Also there's something off about the line from his head to his toes... as if the weight just isn't right. I suggest reworking this.

It's a good idea, but needs improvement. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yeah thanks guys! I've been taking notice to some of these critics on the latest version:

Now, the hand is just some blob to mark that there is supposed to be a hand there later. The mask is just wip, dunno about it yet, suggestions? =)
    Some of the dirt is really not needed so that might be removed, I'm sure you get what I'm talking about. He is supposed to be holding his sniper rifle in the hand that is visible btw. The knees are a bit too low and he is supposed to be very tall and thin if you think that it looks strange. The bag is not finished in any way either.

Fire away! =)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Lightbulb Re: suggestions

Quote Originally Posted by kizoku
    [ .. ]The mask is just wip, dunno about it yet, suggestions?[ .. ]
    @kizoku: here's one, just a quickie. I've used WW II russian military coat as reference.

Didn't do much alternating with the original pose. I've got the sniper showing the bullet he's going to 'deliver'.

Attached Images Attached Images    
    Don't like what I wrote?!? BITE me! But BEWARE I sting!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oookay, this is the latest edition:

Not sure about the iron cross, but tell me what you think! The boots aren't done either..

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like the Iron Cross, its a nice element. Look forward to seeing the boots finished.

2008 - 2009 sketchbook:

Sketchbook

2007 - 2008 sketchbook:

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thumbs up Re: cross

Quote Originally Posted by kizoku
    [ .. ]Not sure about the iron cross, but tell me what you think![ .. ]
    @kizoku: This decorative element is a well known symbol, you want to avoid such symbols if you don't understand or not sure what they mean.

As for the further development of your character, good job! It's coming along well. Emphasis on 'long'. You decided to keep your character long-gated. That's okay, it reminds me of 'Vash' in the Trigun manga's. Or The Doc 'Ido' from Battle Angel Alita series.

The long streched body, kneepads, long coat, guns/weapons, etc. You might want to look them up for reference. If you don't know whom I'm refering to.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well, deadline in 5.5 hours so this is the final for now.. but please give me more critique! You guys have been really good!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm a fan of excessive belts but what is the belt on his chest for? It looks out of place to me (and when you think about it, it would probably be a pretty uncomfortable place for a belt). Also, that belt and the "normal" belt seem to be lacking the function belts are used for! There are no belt loops that I see, so it seems like those belts would fall right off! I would recommending adding some shape to his body, particularly in the hips area. I suggest you just remove that chest belt, and as for the two diagnol belts, think about making them a different style than the "normal" kind of belt. On the note of BELTS! The buckles! If you look at a belt while you're wearing it, you'll see that both sides of the buckle are visible. Well, I have never seen one where only one side is visible as you've drawn (and I used to draw)

It does come to mind that he should have a gun if he's a sniper. Even if you're putting him into Unreal, it would help define the character.

As for the body and you keeping it elongated, it seems like his waist should be higher, or at least his belt should be

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hehe thanks! but let me explain!
    The chest-belt holds a oxygen-tank on the back and the belt that sits on the waistbelt was made to make him look more like some old-school police officer =)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think you should do a front, back, side, and three quarter view! So you have a nice vision of the whole character from all angles! Just loosin up a little and have fun with it!

I like the concept you have going! cool character!

My Sketchbook

Life is a long lesson in humility.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks! I'll give that a shot! thanks for a good idea I should have come up with long ago ^^

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thumbs up Re: cool character!

Quote Originally Posted by stalsby
    [ .. ]I like the concept you have going! cool character!
    @kizoku: I second that! So, his name is Clarke, eh?! What else can you tell about him?

BTW: I now realise the three 'stripes' are not decorative lines, like I drew them in my design. But that they represent hoses from the mask. You might want to add some highlights there too, to give them more substance.

Really looking forward to how you character turns out.

Reference material:

Last edited by Wasp_One; January 25th, 2007 at 07:37 AM. Reason: Added links to reference material

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'll keep going! Great idea and big thanks for all your help!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Lightbulb Re: Sgt. Clarke

@kizoku: I couldn't help myself, and went ahead. And took a nother crack at it of my own. Applying the reference material I suggested, and the colorscheme and 'design' by you.

I don't know 'when' this character is inlisted in the army, but I chose a contemporary yet 'classic' sniper rifle. The HM-87, carries 5 rounds of large kaliber slugs. Customized scope and barrel. Carrying a briefcase to transport this cutedge toy around descretly.

Not sure about the 'oxygen' tank and hoses, though.

Sgt. Clarke looks really promising, you have so many options with your design. And I am anxiously curious how it turns out.

Attached Images Attached Images      

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.