Thanks
    Thanked 1,313 Times in 417 Posts

Acrylic Paint Question

Okay, I have a question about acrylic paints. Is there any sort of medium for acrylic? Or,at least something maybe widely used, but a product not made for just art, like a solvent or something? I'm looking for a particular quality. If I were to relate it to oils, I'm looking for something like Liquin. Something to give it that creamier spread.

I teach and train in Gung Fu, Chin Na, and Tai Chi. One of my many honors is as a member of our school's Lion Dance Team. A role I have assumed is the repair man for the Lions. They take a beating in practice and performances. I repair the enitre Lions, inside mechanics and outside cosmetics. So there is a lot of paper mache work and repainting. One daunting task I have coming is a complete redesign of a Lion. It is a newer Lion, they are not made as sturdy as they used to be. I will have to mache the whole head and repaint the whole thing. I would like a more liquin quality to the paint to make it look more authentic.

Any help or suggestions are graciously welcome.

Acrylic Paint Question

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    There are TONS of mediums for acrylics. It's like stepping into a whole new worlds once you start to explore what's out there! This is a very versatile and innovative type of paint these days, partially because of the mediums that are out there and the various things they allow you to do with just this one kind of paint. And it's all, or at least mostly, supposed to be non-toxic.

Mediums are typically used to add texture, slow down drying time, allow your paint to go further (really important if you use expensive paint), and add depth to colors. They can also change the sheen of the paint. You can even use layers of medium to create work similar to encaustic! The consistency of gels, mediums, and poymers ranges from very fluid, like liquin, to "glue-like" for creating textures even as drastic as stiff "peaks!"

I would suggest you check out Golden Acrylic's webiste and check out their gels, mediums, and polymers, specifically. This page has links to all: http://www.goldenpaints.com/products/medsadds/index.php.

Golden Acrylics is considered the best brand, by a lot of artists, to use with Acrylics. There are other companies. I personally love this brand, but I have also used others, like Utrecht, because it's good to have alternatives if you want to be more cost-effective.

Good luck!

Agata Kijanka/spirals

Thanks
    Thanked 1,451 Times in 259 Posts
    Hookswords - I am so in love with your lions!
    I think you are awesome, and I wish you the best in your endeavors, but I am tired of repeating myself, I am very busy with my new baby, and I am no longer a regular participant here, so please do not contact me to ask for advice on your career or education. All of the advice that I have to offer can already be found in the following links. Thank you.

Perspective 101, Concept Art 101, Games Industry info,Oil Paint info, Acrylic Paint info, my sketchbook.

Thanks
    Thanks for the golden acrylics link!! I didn't realize how much I was missing out on using just water to thin! but i guess using 25 cent walmart acrylics doesn't help too much either hahahaha!
    My Sketchbook

Life is a long lesson in humility.

Thanks
    Hookswords, Golden's Fluid line of paint may have the consistency you're looking for, if I understand you correctly. I believe they only come in rather small containers, as least as I've seen them. Acrylic gouache is also rather thin and creamy, but dries matte. There are also brands of vinyl paints, or those used for cell animation that you might want to investigate. Check out chromacolour, for example. They have a Fluid line also; larger sizes, but limited color range.
    David B. Clemons
    Website
    Blog

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Seedling
    Hookswords - I am so in love with your lions!
    Thanks, it means a lot. I work hard on those guys.

I came upon the Golden line of products at a local art store. I picked up some acrylic flow release, but I havent tried it out yet. They had the gels as well along with a chart that showed the effect of each. That stuff looked pretty thick but it may have been just how they applyed it to the sample sheet. Has anyone here ever used those gels? They had a thinner gel that may work, but it looks a little too...I dont know....just really synthetic. Can liquin be used for acrylics or is it strictly for oils? I never used it, but I had some friends that were all about it. I'l see how this flow release works. Thanks for the help and please add more suggestions.

Thanks
    Golden makes a product called "Acrylic Glazing Medium"
    (shown on the right): Attachment 79325

It's a little more liquid than the snot-consistency of liquin, but I've been very pleased with the results from it. It's got more of a shine and luminous quality to it (ala oils) than other acrylic mediums I've found.

Let us know if you try any others out!!

Thanks
    Sweet, I'll give that one a shot too.