Art: Clear sculpting material?

View testimonialsView Artwork
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Clear sculpting material?

I’m looking for liquid or gel that can be pored in a cylinder or used to mimic a pool of water and will dry clear as water, does such a thing exist?

The sculpture I’m considering starting on is of a character submerged in a cylinder filled with clear liquid that can be viewed from a window in the side of the cylinder. I could just leave it empty and tell people that there is supposed to be a liquid within but that would not be as cool.

Alternatively, if I were to sculpt it watertight and use a real liquid such as water, what paint would I be best of using?

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yup. They have clear casting resins.

http://www.smooth-on.com/liqplas.htm

They have what is called "Crystal Clear" at that site.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    There are also less expensive versions that I have used and work great. The one that comes to mind is a product called easy water (I have seen it named other names) and can be found in many craft stores. Basicly its a slow drying epoxy that an object can be suspended in... it is usually used for fake flowers to make what else fake water!

Here is an example

Clear sculpting material?

One tip is to make sure that you pour the total amount you want other wise you get lap lines...These are very soft lines that will show in the right (or should I say bad ) light!

good luck

Pink
    Pinkerton FX

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Cool stuff for sure, smooth-on products, dickblick.com, check our burmanfoam.com for other clear casting materials. Also, a vibrating stand helps bubble removal, and degassing using a vacuum (or co2 shot into the chamber over the pour) is excellent for getting rid of bubbles as well BTW.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by McFilms
    Cool stuff for sure, smooth-on products, dickblick.com, check our burmanfoam.com for other clear casting materials. Also, a vibrating stand helps bubble removal, and degassing using a vacuum (or co2 shot into the chamber over the pour) is excellent for getting rid of bubbles as well BTW.

Whoaa! You just might have the answer to something I'm currently researching. Cornell University has designed a Personal 3D Fabricator, which generally uses extrusion technology, that people can build to experiment with 3D fabrication.

I'm looking for materials that would be suitable. Here's the link to the Fab @ Home Project so you can see what it does and how it works.

I would assume that it requires something that will set up quickly so as not to collapse as layers are added. The extruders can be heated if required.

What do you think?

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.