I Give up
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: I Give up

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Unhappy I Give up

can some one please help me i feel like i've lost myself somewhere and cant find who i am or what i want outta life i feel i'm only prosuing art because my family and friends say when i put my mind to it my art work is amazing but recently i havent been able to put my mind on my college work and i cant seem to get back into my art does anyone have any advice they can give to one very lost and confused soul?

every time i sit down to draw the sketches for my hat project i just cant do it is it cause i've got not interest in the subject? or do u all think its something else because i'm at the end of my line and i'm about to throw my A levels away i need some kind of guidance because i seroiuse havent a clue whats going on i cant even do my flower illustrations and its what i love doing please some body help me!

Last edited by Poison_art; January 11th, 2007 at 07:53 AM. Reason: needed some changes
    SHINEY ITS SHINEY!
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Thanked 1,436 Times in 259 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    If you were a pianist I would tell you to go sit at the piano and start playing scales and chords. There’s no feeling involved – it’s all technical. Set aside your feelings and work on your manual dexterity until your passion swings your way again.

Do the same thing with a pencil. Go draw a still-life or work on some technical perspective exercises.

I think you are awesome, and I wish you the best in your endeavors, but I am tired of repeating myself, I am very busy with my new baby, and I am no longer a regular participant here, so please do not contact me to ask for advice on your career or education. All of the advice that I have to offer can already be found in the following links. Thank you.

Perspective 101, Concept Art 101, Games Industry info,Oil Paint info, Acrylic Paint info, my sketchbook.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks seedling i'll go and try but what i see to what i draw at the minute are two completley different things i tried to draw a seagull it came out more like a parrot yes parrots are beautiful birds but they dont go with a sea side project

SHINEY ITS SHINEY!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    he he a monkey on roller skates .....

SHINEY ITS SHINEY!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Jens
    mayby you are afraid of working, doing the assignments. Don't be scared to fuck things up.

Find a clear idea of what you want to do for your illustrations. Then work on it untill you got it right. Don't just start randomly on a big white piece of paper.. start with writing the idea down, then make thumbnails of different approaches, compositions. Use reference if you have to, can make things a lot easier if it's for school. If the first thing doesn't work, put it aside, start a different approach. Later you might go back to the first thing and find out what is missing or what is wrong.

Don't just randomly start drawing things you think you'll be able to incorporate in the project. START WITH THE IDEA!!

And don't expect from yourself to make the best piece ever that will just pressure you more.
    it is writen down and i've done the thumbnail sketches and i writen what can be changed and what can stay as it is i've done tallys on which sketches people like what they want me to develop futher. i think part of the problem is my tutors turned round to me on monday and sed " you need to re work 6 of ur projects up to date along with doing the current 4 projects" and i'm just over welemened and i dont know weather to finish the current projects re work the old ones fisrt or what i just sit in my room and look at the mass of work i need to get through and i havent a clue on how to do it i dont know how to make it enjoiable but keep the sense of ergancey with it i'm just feeling blah and on top of that i'm ill too so much or rest and relaxation the doc sed i had to have over this week

SHINEY ITS SHINEY!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i cant even forcus on my personal work nothing i've done makes any sense and it looks a load of bollocks to me i know i can do betta than what i'm producing but i just cant get myself in the frame of mind to do it. theres something in the back of my mind brothering me and i cant put my finger on it. the seaside project i was really looking for to my finial mayoir mock project i'm really looking forward to but i cant seem to get the ideas on off my head on to the paper and when i do its the totall oppsite of what i wanted to do in the first place i've tried writing timetables for my self to help manage the work load but seeing it writen done makes me panic more and harder to forcus

SHINEY ITS SHINEY!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I can't give you any tips on your art or anything, so I'm just going to go straight for it.
    You've lost all motivation, and you think it's gonna stay like that. Remember first off that you're doing A levels to benefit you; you draw because you like it. It's all for you, you don't do work for the teachers or for this abstract 'A Level' thing that haunts you for two years, you do work because you want to - it benefits you; that's the real reason.

Secondly, does life have any meaning? As far as I'm concerned, no, none at all. No reward at the end, no immediately apparent reason to strive for something, after all we're not exactly gonna remember it after we're dead (my view by the way). So basically, Nihilism. When people usually suggest that they say, 'Nihilism, no one's life has any point, what's the point of trying?' That's probably sort of how you feel right now, well the last bit at least? Well, no, it ought to be, 'Nihilism, let's make what we want out of life.' As I said before you're doing these A Levels for yourself, you want to, you sketch for yourself, you want to. Make life what you want it to be, it doesn't mean anything, that means it's entirely yours to manipulate.

Sure, this little ramble isn't going to solve all your problems, but it might get you thinking a little about your own motivation, it may help you slog on through it at least. The reality of it is that you're in control, everyone else is second rate when it comes to your life. Sure, you may live at home or whatever, but your life is still you and yours, and maybe this might help you a little when it comes to motivation, maybe just a little.

I'll see if I can try and explain it a bit better with a clearer head, but that's the jist of it.

Elwell is offline Sticks Like Grim Death Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,666 Times in 5,020 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I don't think your problem is an art problem. That doesn't mean art can't be part of the solution, but don't confuse symptoms with causes.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thank you thats very good advice i'll atempt to put it into practise once i've got a meal down my neck and a cuddle of my lad

SHINEY ITS SHINEY!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Maybe I'm just repeating what you're saying, but it sounds like you just have some stuff on your mind that you can't shake when you sit down to draw.

As far as actually clearing your mind--do whatever it is you gotta do. Everyone has their own way of clearing their mind. Go get a massage, go to the park, get to the gym--whatever you need to do, whatever works for you. Regarding the deadline, I know this sounds trivial, but just don't worry about it. I'm not saying to ignore the deadline, just don't worry about it. If you do everything you physically can between now and then, then you have nothing to worry about. It sounds like your mentor knows where you're at now with your artwork, if you can just clear your mind and just get to work on the art, then your prof./mentor should be able to recognize it and give you the appropriate props.

Not to sound like some yogi or anything, but I think you just need to free your worries, free your mind up. Also, the rest will definitely help--being sick can really crush your concentration. It might be worth it to take a day, get all medicated, stay in bed, eat chicken noodle soup, etc., and then draw like your life depended on it afterwards rather than trying to draw through the sickness and lack of concentration and everything.

-Chris

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Poison_art
    i think part of the problem is my tutors turned round to me on monday and sed " you need to re work 6 of ur projects up to date along with doing the current 4 projects" and i'm just over welemened and i dont know weather to finish the current projects re work the old ones fisrt
    I sounds to me like you have so much work to do that you feel paralyzed and don't know where to start.
    My advice is to finish the current projects. DON'T rework the old ones first. They will take all your time and leave no time for the new projects.

If it were me, I would forget about reworking the old projects completely and just focus on the new ones. Then, if you have time left over you can work on the old projects. That will take a huge load off your mind, I think.

If you feel you can't do that, then spend an hour or two on each one so at least you can tell your teacher that you DID work on them. After you put in your hour or so, move on and STOP THINKING ABOUT THEM. You can't have all your projects up to perfection, so some things will just have to be "good enough."

With your new projects, work on one for a certain amount of time (a couple of hours or a day) then switch to another one for awhile, then switch to the third and so one. If you rotate like this, all your projects will end up finished to about the same level and you won't have one that's really finished while another is hardly finished.

If you find yourself getting frustrated with one project, just move on to another and work on it for awhile. Then when you come back to the first one, maybe you will feel better and know what to do.

I know what it feels like to be swamped with projects and to feel that panic that you can't get everything done. Don't force yourself to make masterpieces, just get something out on the paper. I think after you get all these projects done, you will feel a lot better and can focus on how you feel about art and what kind of art you like to do. I wish you the best of luck and hope everything works out ok.

emily

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks for the advice guys all has been taken in and i'm taking everything back to college tomorrow and telling my tutor i'm only working on my mock projects for now until i get my health sorted out then i'll rework from there

SHINEY ITS SHINEY!

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.