Page 8 of 73 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 58 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    2/3/03

continuous muscle studies

Journey of an Absolute Rookie: Paintings and Sketches

Returning home

anatomy is all off I know...was a ultra quick sketch on the train this morning.
    Last edited by MindCandyMan; June 21st, 2003 at 10:38 AM.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    The muscle studies look really good. But they seem to be rather small, compared to your handwriting. Try to work on a larger scale when doing these studies - mistakes and misproportions show more when doing this.

Considering you did the man in the boat on the train it looks quite good. I suggest not concentrating on the face before you have blocked in shadows and masses on the whole body. Gives it faster a more finished look. And: I know what your next job'll be perspective! Especially boats are really difficult I find - loomis has a good hint on that in one of his books. I'm going to find out in which one and tell you the page I have in mind.

Jester
    Imagination is intelligence having fun!

Jester's Sketchbook

Portfolio web site

Thanks
    Yeah the perspective is way off hehe. Good idea about working larger. Will do.

Thanks
    I posted this in a thread that iwasink started:

have to drop my drawing I class (I'm still taking figure drawing I)...I had to drop it because they were leading me down a completely wrong road. The third class (ok remember this is drawing I and most people have never taken up art in their lives) we are doing "impressionistic" pictures of a flower. I started drawing and my teacher comes over and says, "Hey that's too photorealistic...loosen up". Then when I started talking to the TA about what I was working on I mentioned Sargent and she got this cynical guffaw look on her face and said...well the bay city painters do this blah blah blah. They have no respect for the masters...they are actively not teaching the fundamentals to people who need them... This one girl did a phenomenal job of rendering out her flower and they were getting down on her because it looked too photorealistic. Nothing wrong with impressionism at all...but do they need to be reminded that Picasso could draw photorealistically when he was 16...those foundational skills are what made his later work so impactful. They are so ridiculous.
    Good news though...my figure drawing teacher teaches figure drawing monday through thurs at my university...my class only meets on tues and thurs but he said I could come to the other classes for practice...so that's awesome. So for like 3 hours monday through thurs I will be in figure drawing class...I am excited to learn...it sure is hard though.

At any rate...here are some pics...still workin on this thing.

I am taking Cos' advice on how to learn anatomy and improvise with it. He told me to go to class and learn everything you can and focus just on the model then later on practice without the model...eventually the two will meet...so that is what I am doing. These are pretty awful but they are quick sketches on the train ride home and while I am waiting for the train. Anatomy is hard.

Last edited by MindCandyMan; June 21st, 2003 at 10:40 AM.

Thanks
    good! impressive, i'm going to draw a little now
    thx & bye

Thanks
    "Anatomy is hard"

You said it! MY one weak area is anatomy.. Its so ahrd because if you make anything look jsut a bit off, it can ruin a whole drawing.. Ive been trying to think of ways to improve, by doign figure drawing, etc but it is really difficult! Keep going youre getting ALOT better!

Thanks
    Thanks guys I appreciate the feedback a lot. I am struggling but it's a good struggle...one that I will keep fighting.

Yes go draw cucaracha!!! Draw draw draw :o hehe.

Dragon - one thing that has really helped me is this book called "Anatomy for the artist" by Jeno Barcsay...I have been going through it page by page and drawing every bone and every muscle group. I have been doing it for like 30 days and I am just now getting to the muscles of the arm/shoulder...haven't done anything with the legs yet...but seriously this is helping me a lot. You can see all the insertion points for all the muscles and drawing them over and over again really helps you learn it...Plus, the book takes you through the bone structure first so you get that down before you ever start laying muscle down. I have to warn you just drawing the bones is a lot less exciting than drawing the muscles but you have to do that first to be effective. Try it out see what you think:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...glance&s=books

check it out...awesome stuff

Thanks
    OMGosh! MCM That sargeant painting looks so dam good! I have to continue mine. U nailed tha baby right on the head. What an inspiration!

As for your life drawings from school...why don't you post those?

That master painting that you're going to try next looks pretty damn hard!

btw, heck yeah anatomy is hard!:bars:
    -http://iwasink.com/-
    DS Illustration
    "Get reference.
    There is nothing wrong with using a photo to help you see things.
    No one complains about life drawing,
    so take a photo.
    its easy, and will improve your piece greatly."

Thanks
    2/6/03

Almost there ...about 5-10 more hours...(well then again maybe not hehe...now that I look at it perhaps more work than that is needed)

Arm extender muscles (ignore that ugly guy in the lower right corner hehe...sketch gone wrong) I sketched alot larger this time jester...it helped for sure.

Last edited by MindCandyMan; June 21st, 2003 at 10:40 AM.

Thanks
    Hey iwasink...thanks for the encouragment man. I wish I could post the stuff from my life drawing class but they make us draw with charcoal on newsprint and they are really big sheets...so it would be impossible to scan too...I need a digital camera is what I need. Once we start getting into longer poses I will post those. I might do some studies at home with my wife...she said she would pose for me...if I do that this weekend I will post those. Honestly though...my life drawing stuff sucks so be prepared hehe...I am working on it though...this class is good for me.

Thanks
    See? Drawing larger really helps! I wouldn't believe it myself but it's true. I suggest that you plan your studies better (and don't distort them with sketches from your mind) you might want to get back to them later for reference of how you dealt with a certain problem.

Jester

Jester's Sketchbook

Portfolio web site

Thanks
    I am having an awful time with the woman's face...the coloring and the shape of her face...it's really rough...any help would be appreciated. If I clean her up and do a few more touch ups I might be "finished"

Attachment 92375

Attachment 92376
    Last edited by emily g; June 20th, 2007 at 01:03 AM.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to MindCandyMan For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    It's difficult to say because of the rather small size of the original painting and yours but I think her face is a little bit smaller than you painted it.

Jester

Jester's Sketchbook

Portfolio web site

Thanks
    Stuff from yesterday:

Still working on this...Jason gaves some good tips so I am trying to make this perfect...we will see hehe...

Attachment 92377

Some pages from my sketchbook

Attachment 92378

Attachment 92379

Attachment 92380
    Last edited by emily g; June 20th, 2007 at 01:04 AM.

Thanks
    Keep up the great work bro! The painting looks great, and herrreeee comes Calle! LOL!
    "I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Thanks
    heheheh...man...you can recognize it more than anyone I guess hehe. I am really going to try to emulate his work for a couple reasons...I think it carries over to pen technique really really well...also I think it has a painterly way about it...the direction of the strokes and all. That's hilarious you noticed that heheh...drew that off of the cover of his book...you will be seeing more haha.

Thanks
    Who's calle?

MCM> How far are you with your first assingment?

I'm a little past half ways!
    DS Illustration
    "Get reference.
    so take a photo.

Thanks
    Hey man...Paul Calle is a phenomenal pencil artist...not sure if he's still alive or not. He was crazy good with the pencil and had a really unique style...I am waiting on my cast to get here...hopefully it will get here by this weekend but if it doesn't I will just use something else...Mine will be done on time hehe.

Thanks
    When using a pencil, his emphasis on following shape and form with your stroke is invaluable. Very cool stuff. He's a fantastic oil painter as well. Here's a link with some examples of his work:

http://www.artbarbarians.com/gallery2/main.asp?artist=7

(Sorry about littering your thread with this stuff bro...I can't help but say something about Calle though!)

:fruit:
    "I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Thanks
    Who cares... I love Calle too...if he wanted too I would let him post in here as well!

no dumping....50,000 dollar fine

Thanks
    Ok I wasn't going to post these cause I was too embarassed too...I did three hours of life drawing yesterday in class...some were screwed up and some weren't...but when I left class I kept sketching...I don't know what my problem was but I couldn't make anything look right...oh well.

Attachment 92381

Attachment 92382
    Last edited by emily g; June 20th, 2007 at 01:05 AM.

Thanks
    Hey bro, DON'T BE EMBARRASSED! There is nothing to be ashamed about. Two things:

There is no way anyone can be hitting on all cylinders each and every time they sit down to render something out. Everyone has off days/nights.

And secondly, even the crappiest drawing can be a learning tool, even if it's nothing more than telling you, "Okay, that's something I don't want to do." So don't let it get you down.

Voicing my opinion I will say that all artists who are truly concerned with perfecting their craft, honing that translation of the way they see things, are doomed to suffer from a lifelong dissatisfaction with the work that they do. Even if pleased with a piece one day, the next day the very same piece will be insufficient and boring, inaccurate, etc. Don't sweat it! The best you can do is continue to practice, develop your skill, and do the best you can wherever you are. And believe me, you're doing that!!!

Later...:fruit:

Thanks
    Yeah...Marie (my wife for those who don't know) always gets mad when she looks at a drawing and says it looks good and I say, "That is crap!!!!!!!" ...hehe. I have caught the IHATEMYOWNWORK disease. That's the way it has to be though...to paint and draw perfectly is impossible so there is always something you can improve...you are right...the day you start loving your own pieces to death is the day you stop growing...cause if you think you're good enough...what else would you need to shoot for? Thanks bro...I will keep pushing hehe.

Thanks
    Yes, I find this a problem, too. When you get praise from people who can't draw you think it's worthless (but it isn't as long as it's sincere it helps to keep you going). If you get critiques from people who can't draw, you start arguing and explaining what problems you had with this piece. Same when you get critique from people who are better than you. It's even difficult to BELIEVE praise from someone better than you is meant seriously. I like it best to receive critiques (serious ones) from people of about my own level, pointing out what they think is good and what is bad. But I know that disease, too, MCM!

:mad:

Jester

Jester's Sketchbook

Portfolio web site

Thanks
    hey guys my house was broken into...I won't be posting for a couple days...I will post soon. Everything's ok but I will be preoccupied with the police...etc...

Thanks
    I heard on other threads. Did they take anything?

Man that really sucks!:doh:
    DS Illustration
    "Get reference.
    so take a photo.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,216 Times in 254 Posts

Thanks
    OMG thats terrible!!
    I hope you guys feel ok. A violation of one's personal space is probably the most disturbingthing a human can face, i'd imagine like being raped.

Hope you find the bastard that did it.

Thanks
    dude, throw away everything in the fridge.

Thanks
    hey guys I'm back! God is good. everything is cool in my house...the one thing I didn't mention before is that on the same day my house was robbed I called my land lady to tell her about and she yells at me for accusing her?...I told her the details of what happened and how it wasn't a forced entry and she says to me on the phone, "Well I'm the only one with a key Jonathan...you shouldn't be jumping to conclusions"...then the same day...the guy upstairs pushes her down the stairs...while the detective is there!!!!!!!!! So I ask her what happened and if she wanted me to get the detective...she says, "no...Gary's just a little upset"... I live in a quiet really nice area...I don't live in downtown philly...this shouldn't be happening!!! Of course I also found out on that day that my land lady and this guy upstairs dated for three years...yeah it's ridiculous.

At any rate...thank you to everyone for your kind words...it sucked haven't all my stuff taken...the worst part was my wife's wedding ring...the ring I put on her finger is gone. They also took my palmcorder with all our honeymoon and wedding footage with it. Everything else they took doesn't really matter compared to those things...Life goes on...God uses things to teach you. But seriously guys thanks so much for your words of concern...it was awesome to log on and see a whole bunch of posts of people saying, "THAT SUCKS!" and other ones that said, "sorry that happened". It helped brighten up my day...thanks again. And thanks for the advice jrr about the frig...good call. I noticed I got stars on my thread somehow...not sure how that happened...but that's cool! thanks whoever did that.

Well I don't have my cast yet and I don't have an easel...I had to set up this really crazy way to try out the sight-size method...here is my result...crap crap crap crap...I have so far to go...I'm leaving now to go practice some more. Thanks again guys...I appreciate it. All I can say is get renter's insurance...even though it doesn't replace the emotional items my renter's insurance is giving us back a lot of money (not everything we lost but most). Thanks again.
    Last edited by MindCandyMan; February 13th, 2007 at 12:20 PM.

Page 8 of 73 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 58 ... LastLast