Page 7 of 144 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 57 107 ... LastLast
    Thanks

November 14th

November 14th

Stuff from last night. I am not done the self portrait yet. I am gonna finish it up tonight. The lighting for it was a desk lamp above my head pointing down.

Journey of an Absolute Rookie: Paintings and Sketches

Journey of an Absolute Rookie: Paintings and Sketches
    Last edited by MindCandyMan; June 17th, 2003 at 11:18 AM.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks

November 15th - 17th

November 15th - 17th

Attachment 92258

Attachment 92259

Attachment 92260

Attachment 92261
    Last edited by emily g; June 19th, 2007 at 11:34 PM.

Thanks

November 18th

November 18th

Latest Stuff:

Attachment 92262

Attachment 92263

I am drawing from an anatomy book every day as well. I will post those up tomorrow.

***Below is for everyone who hasn't seen my previous posts***
    If you didn't see my last post(s) on www.conceptart.org then I will bring you up to speed. Basically I have been inspired by the art produced and the work ethic of Jon Foster, Andrew Jones, Jason Manley, and my brother "Smeagol71" (among many others) and have decided to learn how to paint (primarily digitally). I am starting from rock bottom and I am going to paint at least one painting and do at least one sketch every day...probably two on the weekends. The order you see them in is the order that I am painting and/or sketching them...every day starting on 9/15/02. I am bearing my soul to everyone. I will post everything I do...whether it is awful or not. Most of the paintings and sketches, in the beginning, are going to look like crap but hopefully over the days/weeks/months/years they will start to get better. I have no formal art training but have signed up for classes this semester. I have a passion to paint and welcome any encouragement or critique that you want to give. Any feedback you want to give me you can leave in the threads I or just email me.
    Thanks
    Last edited by emily g; June 19th, 2007 at 11:35 PM.

Thanks

November 19th

November 19th

Latest stuff...Sorry it's so crappy. My stomach was killing me last night...I had to go lay in bed. So here they are. The second one is a page out of my sketchbook. I am striving to draw a page of "Anatomy for the artist" every night. We will see how that works out.
    Last edited by MindCandyMan; February 13th, 2007 at 11:32 AM.

Thanks

November 20th

latest stuff

Latest self portraits.

This was my warm up one...first one I did:

Attachment 92265

Quick pencil one...I wanted to keep it really really loose and quick.

Attachment 92266

Soupy Eyes

Attachment 92267
    Last edited by emily g; June 19th, 2007 at 11:36 PM.

Thanks

November 21st

November 21st

Latest stuff

Really quick self portrait

Attachment 92268

I drew this the other day on my break at work. I am going to try to paint this sometime soon.

Attachment 92269
    Last edited by emily g; June 19th, 2007 at 11:37 PM.

Thanks

November 22-24th

November 22-24th

I sketched some other stuff besides this but these are the ones I have scanned or are digital.

I will be away for a week starting tomorrow...I will be in Texas...I will post everything I do on my trip when I get back...peace

Attachment 92270

Attachment 92271
    Last edited by emily g; June 19th, 2007 at 11:38 PM.

Thanks
    Just dropped by to say that your improvement is incredible!

:cool:

Jester
    Imagination is intelligence having fun!

Jester's Sketchbook

Portfolio web site

Thanks
    thanks so much Jester. You have helped me every step of the way. You always gave me honest responses to all my self portraits which is exactly what I need. And you have pointed me toward resources that have helped me, (like portrait-artist.org....etc..). And last but not least...your improvement has been an inspiration to me as well. I have seen you get LOADS better in the time that you have been posting on concept art. It's hard to see your own improvement but I have watched you get better from day to day. I look at your avatar every time and I can see how much closer you are getting to your likeness. Keep going bro...you are doing awesome. We will grow together! Thanks again for all the encouragement. It helps keep the frustration of learning to draw at bay. Thanks again friend.
    jon

Thanks
    wow mr candyman you really do draw everyday...i admire your discipline...you have the true spirit of an artist...i can see it as you've been doing what most true artists should do..that is practice practice practice.

Thanks
    Jon - growing together, that's great! This forum is a really fine place with the pros giving us the chance to learn from them and the beginners, too (just by looking and analyzing the drawings - even the ones with lots of mistakes - I find to learn a lot, too). I have learned so much being here and since my motto is that the more you share the knowledge you've got the more it grows and spreads I always try to help as much as I can. Thank you as well (and all the others here), so cool :cool:!

Jester
    Imagination is intelligence having fun!

Jester's Sketchbook

Portfolio web site

Thanks
    Hey guys,
    Thanks so much for all the encouragement. You are right Jester...the more you share your knowledge...the more people learn as a whole. I am with you on that one. We give each other motivation and criticism when it is needed. Thanks for the encouragement StephenC I really appreciate it. I may not be the best artist in the world ever but I will die trying. I have written off tv and video games (that was hard hehe) to draw in all my spare time. Jason Manley said it the best when someone asked him how would they get into Marvel by their early twenties. He said make drawing your first priority. For me in my life right now it goes in this order. God, my wife (family), drawing, school. Oops...sorry guys I have to go get on a plane to Texas. See ya soon...I will be drawing...you guys keep drawing too! You guys rock...thanks for dropping me a note in here.

Thanks
    CandyMan --

What a great idea you have here! I'm just starting out, and it's nice to see how someone else begins their journey down the art path. I was looking at some of your sketches (the ones on phantomarts aren't accessible due to bw limits) and they look very good. Your desire to learn has inspired me to draw a bit more too I'm going to add this to my favorites and stop by.

I'm also glad to see that the community here is so supportive of you

Keep drawing Candy Man! :cool:

Thanks

Thanks

sic1 - Thanks for the encouragement man I really appreciate it. I am working on getting a website up t hat catalogs all my progress so people can go to that instead of having broken links. That's really annoying...sorry about that. I don't have the money to pay monthly for a website for my art progression but I will see what I can come up with. I have a couple of ideas that might work to get around it hehe.

It's so hard to start off doing art because the stuff that you do is going to stink next to these guys who have been doing it since they were like 5 years old. This kind of a place is a great forum to grow in because people give you constant criticism, feedback, and encouragement. Everyone here has been really supportive and I have gotten tips from the masters (Jon Foster, Jason Manley, Andrew Jones, etc...)...which is something most people can't ever get so I am really thankful for that. I would definitely recommend drawing every day and also posting your stuff every day if you can because it is such a motivating force to have to always have something to post up...even if it sucks. There have been many nights where I have gotten home late and almost went to bed...but then I thought...hmmm...I should draw some more tonight so I have some stuff to post. So that has been a great motivator.

Honestly, feel free to post in this thread if you want. It doesn't just have to be me posting. This could be a place where all the "rookies" can post their stuff and discuss certain things as we learn. People have helped me out so much in the past two months...that makes me want to help everyone out just as much. Keep drawing bro...thanks for the encouragement. We will grow together.

I will post all my stuff in like 4 days when I get back from Texas.

peace,

Thanks
    The site sould be back up today some time.

Page 7 of 144 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 57 107 ... LastLast