Page 71 of 166 FirstFirst ... 21 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 121 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    brium - You are too kind...thanks so much. I actually thought of braiding my goatee as well! Maybe I should do it and then do some self portraits and stuff hehe.

Did this oil painting tonight...I had an hour to spare before my wife and I had to go somewhere so I put an apple on my desk and tried to paint this very quickly....wet on wet....hard stuff hehe........I realized I was kind of painting at an angle hehe that's why the paper is angled...not good but it was just a quick study anyways on a piece of gessoed paper.

This is one of the first "real" oil paintings I have tried...any suggestions would definitely be welcome.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by MindCandyMan; February 15th, 2007 at 08:34 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    awesome man. oils are hard to work with i feel, over acrylics. you should try both.

that paint you made is awesome! what kind of materials do you need. where do you get the pigment ?

the apple is really nice. cant get enough apples man !!

the next still life i do will be in oils, ode to the goatee man!!

Thanks
    endregan - thanks bro...acrylics dry too fast for me...I like being able to rework things over time...but when I'm under deadlines in the future I might change my mind hehe. You can ge tthe pigment from kremer (Italian company I think) and the only materials you need are the ones I have listed on that picture...lemme know if you try it.

Did this sketch this afternoon...the figure is boring gonna change him to something else...still trying to figure out what I want to do with the whole piece:

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by MindCandyMan; February 15th, 2007 at 08:35 AM.

Thanks
    good sketch. draw a few characters to see what you like. maybe its the robe that lacks to show the figure?

cool sketch. i did an oil painting last night. ill see if i can borrow the digital camera. oils are hard for me right now. i am so used to acrylics, and oils stay wet for wayyy longer than i have patience for haha. almost have to use so much to mix with the old colour and it is so wet.

it is handy for reworking though for sure

Thanks
    endregan - Yeah oils take a bit to get used to. You will learn to love them I'm sure. Yeah I'm gonna change that guy entirely I think...if I even finish that.

Some figure drawings:

Name:  figure%20drawing%2014.jpg
Views: 9395
Size:  26.5 KB

sometimes after the pose is over...when no one is looking I add weird things to the drawing heheh...churnin' butter (don't ask me why hehe)

Name:  figure%20drawing%2015.jpg
Views: 9402
Size:  32.4 KB

Name:  figure%20drawing%2016.jpg
Views: 9402
Size:  51.1 KB

Last edited by emily g; June 22nd, 2007 at 01:31 AM.

Thanks
    Finally we get to see your face

Ive seen teachers at my school make paint. It looks fun. Cool stuff mcm

I say shave that sucker off!:cool:

-http://iwasink.com/-
    DS Illustration
    "Get reference.
    There is nothing wrong with using a photo to help you see things.
    No one complains about life drawing,
    so take a photo.
    its easy, and will improve your piece greatly."

Thanks
    No wonder you are improving that fast! 4-8 hours when working! OMG! You are lucky to have a wife organizing your life for you!

I especially like the mural - looks absolutely appropriate as a background to a drum set!

I'm still busy with my biz and find very little time for drawing currently (about 2-6 hours per week!).

Keep going!

Jester

Imagination is intelligence having fun!

Jester's Sketchbook

Portfolio web site

Thanks
    finally, I have time to catch up on some stuff. This figure drawings look great, and of course, I'm jealous of the 4-8 hours. very nice.

I have to be honest and show my ignorance. I don't know what a barque drawing is. I'm assuming it's a figure drawing to scale from another drawing?

I've recently followed the lead of many of y'all in here, and purchased a few of bridgman's books and a vanderpoel figure drawing book. There are some hands referencing bridgman in my sketchbook.

Also, my 9x12 intuos2 tablet is HERE. It's actually very weird, but I think I'll love it. Anyhow....

that paint makin' thing looks VERY cool. What exactly are the pigments?

Thanks
    I.was.ink - Shave it off huh...you might just convince me hehe. Yeah making paint is fun...nice to get the exact amount of oil you want...plus you control everything. Making it this way and then looking at windsor and newton shows the difference between machine made and hand made...but I think it would be really hard to hand grind every single one of your paints...would waste too much time!

jester - hahahah...you are absolutely right...my wife makes all this possible. I also (since attending the studio) only have a part time job so that leaves lots of time for me to work at the studio and at home...I pretty much don't do anything else at this point except draw/paint...it has to be that way in order for me to earn a living off of it in 3-5 years so I am trying to push hard hehe. We are tight on bills but are getting by fine...we are having fun! That mural was really fun glad you liked it. You keep up the good work too...how is your business going?

stormy - Check out this link HERE ...I explained the idea of a bargue drawing there...let me know if you have any questions...you are not showing your ignorance...you are showing your initiative and drive! Bridgman and vanderpoel are very good sources study them well! Alright cool you got a tablet!...that's awesome. I have the 9 x 12 too...it's great you will learn to love it...does feel weird at first. A Pigment is basically a colored "dust" that can come from lots of different sources...if you pounded a piece of red clay from the ground and got a fine powder out of it and then added some oil you could paint with it! Some pigments are really crazy...secretions from sea snails...crazy stuff like that. Basically it's a color found in nature and they refine it and put it in powder form so you can grind your own oil paints or even use it for watercolor paints, etc...fun stuff!

Started on another large charcoal figure drawing today...now we have two going at once...woohoo!!!

Name:  figure%20drawing%2017%20charcoal%20nicole%20step%201.jpg
Views: 9383
Size:  50.3 KB

Step number 2 in the process of doing this portrait of my friend Eric...this is my first portrait from life (besides self portraits) and it is very very hard. Probably a couple more sessions and I will call it quits...it's very fun though.

Name:  ericportrait_step2.jpg
Views: 9374
Size:  52.0 KB

A tiny bit more of work done to my cast as well tonight...sorry I still took the picture from a weird angle hehe...excuses excuses right hehe:

Name:  mouthcastdrawing_step4.jpg
Views: 9382
Size:  66.4 KB

Last edited by emily g; June 22nd, 2007 at 01:32 AM.

Thanks
    go jon boy!

4-5 hours sounds like a good curriculum.

it is so hard to do self portraits. i try to do them in my spare before school so its just rushed and i miss parts i guess..

i must stay longer. one good one is worth 1000 crappy ones eh .

hard to self discipline!

You keep going, your contours are coming along very nicely!

Thanks
    endregan - Thanks bro! Self portraits are definitely really hard!

Some more failures tonight bleh

quick little pen sketch

Name:  pen%20and%20ink%2039.jpg
Views: 9362
Size:  36.2 KB

stopped this half way through...was turning out crappy

Name:  bound%20sketchbook%20178.jpg
Views: 9340
Size:  47.1 KB

bleh

Name:  figure%20drawing%2018.jpg
Views: 9340
Size:  34.9 KB

Last edited by emily g; June 22nd, 2007 at 01:33 AM.

Thanks
    i really like your figure drawings. how long are they?

crazy griffen man

i havent done many monsters, i might try some

Thanks

Holy Shit

Mindcandyman, i looked at your pages and i must say, this is the best progress ive ever seen chronicled, and i am very pleased with what i saw.

I have great faith in fools. My friends call it self confidence.

Page 71 of 166 FirstFirst ... 21 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 121 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 507