Sketchbook: Journey of an Absolute Rookie: Paintings and Sketches - Page 70
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 70 of 72 FirstFirst ... 20 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 LastLast
Results 2,071 to 2,100 of 2143
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Every time I will be discouraged, I will look at your sketchbok and get back on track. You're my hero

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Every time I will be discouraged, I will look at your sketchbok and get back on track. You're my hero

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi there! Awesome thread man.

I was wondering, were there any books that you found really helpful when you were just starting out? Also, did you have any sort of schedule/routine that you stuck to as you practiced?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So will I

Just amazing how your skills developed!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you so much for sharing this!! You have no idea how much this has inspired me. The other day I was seriously doubting myself and wondering if I should even bother pursuing art anymore. I felt like I barely improved since high school and that I am so far behind compared to other people my age who are so much better than me at drawing. After going through several pages of this, I started to feel more confident and optimistic. The improvement you made months after making this is amazing! And just three years later, you were drawing at a professional level. So, once again, thank you for the inspiration!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    only just discovered this gem,literally incredible stuff - exponential growth in skills in all areas!i dont know if you`ll read this but id like to ask if you think it would have been possible to reach this standard without attending the atelier?thanks for your time

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    maoloason, please stop posting your stuff in this thread and open your own sketchbook.
    It`s very easy and if you want people to look and criticize your work so you might become one day as good as MindCandyMan, you should practice everyday..

But like I`ve said, don`t spam this thread with your stuff. It`s not right. Period

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Darjan Jurincic View Post
    maoloason, please stop posting your stuff in this thread and open your own sketchbook.
    It`s very easy and if you want people to look and criticize your work so you might become one day as good as MindCandyMan, you should practice everyday..

But like I`ve said, don`t spam this thread with your stuff. It`s not right. Period
    Oh,oh,I didn't planned to post any more.It was just another way to say "hey,I love your work" to MindCandyMan. I just came here for several times,didn't know the rules here, now I konw.

I just to be friendly,but .... obviously we had totaly diferent point on what I did.It's ok to delete my reply,and it's ok to say "it's not right"to me, but what I can benifited by "spam" my stuff in this thread?

It's a pity to be a troublesome one.Anyway,thank your advice.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Youre the main reason I decided to learn how to draw or die trying - thank you!
    I kinda had the feeling that either you were born with this special skill or you could forget about it, but after some quick "googling" I stumbled over your journey here and was completely sold!

I was wondering, looking back on your journey was there any red thread or some basic route of learning you perhaps could share? Of cause we all learn differently and we each have our own way of mastering ideas, but still could be there was some basic intuitive path hidden somewhere.

Im very much a beginner at this drawing business, but I feel that all Im doing at his point is just trying to copy what I see. My goal is to be able to put my thoughts and in lack of better words "mental pictures" down on paper.
    Im studying full time at the moment, so I cant really afford to take any big drawing classes and such.

Anyway, thank you for the inspiration.

I want to draw - I have to draw!
    ... I just need to learn first.
    My blog - L2Draw
    My sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This is incredibly inspiring. I'm just starting myself and this helps me tremendously! keep up the amazing work!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Christ. I'll go back to drawing once I am done eating.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Still awesome after all these years. I continue to look at this every once in awhile!

My Bloggins

Mat Kaminski's Sketchbook

Sketchbooks love Critiques, give a crit, get a crit! (tm)

|| SSG -- Riley Stark | Ian Barker | Damien Levs | triggerpigking ||

The CRIMSON DAGGERS

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks

To MindCandyMan

THANK YOU!
    At the moment I'm (more or less) at the same level you were when you decided to learn how to draw. You were able to improve your skills so much!
    I hope I will be able to draw as good as you do (although I've got a long way ahead of me...).

Regards!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Congratulations! You're famous on reddit, now: http://www.reddit.com/r/videos/comme...ng_and/c4jnnu9

That comment was way up there on one of the front page links. Great job!

Jason Manley is offline Administrator Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,578 Times in 2,186 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    2.2 Million Views and counting. You have inspired the masses Jonathan. Your link on Reddit today literally jammed the servers until we had to move your thread to it's own server! haha.

I need to dig up the PM that started this all. I look forward to your updates and seeing how high the sky goes in the coming years. You have a bright future ahead and have lit the way for countless artists around the world.

LEVEL UP! - ConceptArt.Org online workshops 25% off registration right now!

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Jason Manley For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I would love to see that original private message Jason! It's amazing to think about where I was only 9 years ago. I've grown up a lot since then both artistically and personally.

I don't say this lightly guys...there are two main people that I owe my career to. The first is my wife who told me she believed in me after I completed my first drawing. The second is all of you in this community. Without Jason giving me poignant advice and without the encouragement of all of you I'm not sure I would have kept drawing through all those horrible first years (horrible in terms of the quality of my work!). I just want to send out a huge thank you to everyone. I've received a lot of email over the years and it's always humbling to think that I could help inspire someone else.

I can tell you that I am VERY glad I didn't give up and go back to working in a cubicle. That one decision to pursue art has led to a different life.

I'm still working all the time guys. I'm teaching and painting every day and I love it. Here's a couple things I finished recently. Did a quick portrait of my son Sam.

Also you can see a progression of a portrait commission I started working on. I've been shying away from portrait commissions recently because it's hard working for an "art director" that doesn't know anything about art. They pay really highly, but sometimes the hassle is not worth it. This particular portrait commission is awesome though. The family is really cool and their rule of thumb for the painting was that they wanted a "conversation piece". So I am doing five character studies of them and the background will be a bit unfinished, etc... It's been fun to work on this one. I'll try to include a step by step on this one because I think it will be interesting for everyone. This one is going to stay loose. Trying to channel sargent these days hehe. The more I paint the more I see how ridiculously good he was...insane. There are a lot of times where I feel like I've just started painting. I've still got 20-30 years ahead of me before I'm doing the work I want to do I think. Alas that is the curse I guess haha.

The last image is a close up of the "block in" I completed of the little girl. I thought it was quite "Zombie-ish" so I wanted to post it. Who says I'm not a concept artist...I paint zombies!

Attached Images Attached Images            

18. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to MindCandyMan For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by MindCandyMan View Post
    The last image is a close up of the "block in" I completed of the little girl. I thought it was quite "Zombie-ish" so I wanted to post it. Who says I'm not a concept artist...I paint zombies!
    hehehe Jon that's so funny. It's great to see you doing so well, the portrait of your son is stunningly beautiful, as is he, and I like the loose, painterly approach. I can feel the warmth and happiness in your family portrait so I'm guessing that you and they will be really happy when it's done.

I've been drawing for about 3 years now, thanks to you, and I couldn't feel more happy. I am at that 'horrible' stage but it doesn't bother me because I know if I keep trying I might be able to paint a portrait like you are now, one day , and that by then you will be painting like 'Sargent'!

Thanks to you and your wife for sharing so much, with so many, I know how much I appreciate it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi, this is my first post.

Man, I first saw your drawings on a vid in vimeo yesterday, and I jumped right to this thread. I felt so amazed about the incredible work that you've developed among 9 years, since you started as a rookie like me and like many in this thread that also felt inspired with your development and decided to give a chance to themselves. Before discovering that you exist, I was feeling really down about myself, feeling that I'm old and that I should have started years by now. I never had family support to draw in my early years, I liked to draw manga and that kind of stuff but I felt really discouraged because I couldn't figure out the techniques, I was good to my age and had a gut, but at some point in my life that I don't know to define when I gave up. There was already drawspace and deviantart but I felt it was gonna be a lonely journey and that I wouldn't be able to do it , and now I study something else in the college but the frustration NEVER left me.
    Now, seeing how you started, back in 2002, and the amazing help you've always received from other members made me finally decide to pursue my passion. I know it's gonna be tough, and most of the time (but never all of it) lonely, but I gotta do it. And for being the final push that I needed, I can't thank you enough. But thank you! Thank you, man!

Now I'm off to buy my sketchbook

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TeaParty For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks so much for the kind words guys! If I can even do one painting on par with sargent before I am dead I will be lucky trust me. Big shoes to fill. I've heard one painter say that "Sargent is the painter that makes us all want to fall on our palette knives"...oh yeah that's true haha. Anyone who hasn't tried it might not be impressed, but if you actually paint, and you try to do what he does, then you realize how talented he truly was.

I'm glad to hear that tea party! Trust me...people said I was nuts when I started off on the journey. You will always receive negativity from something all along your journey. People who can't think outside of their box will always look at you that way. If you decide to head on path stick with it. Work hard and no one can stop you.

Here's a mini update on the painting from the other day. Still working on this one. It's been really fun so far:

Attached Images Attached Images  

23. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to MindCandyMan For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    When I feel like giving up myself, I go here and see your spirit and feel anew again. You're amazing.

Current Status:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Holy ****! As many posted here, this thread gave me a boost of inspiration to keep moving on.

I think I'll start my own thread by now.

Last edited by alfredbaudisch; May 14th, 2012 at 10:55 PM.
    Sketchbook
    Tumblr - Drawing Journey

I haven't failed, I've found 10,000 ways that don't work. Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.
    Thomas A. Edison

Thanks
    Thanked 1,453 Times in 823 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    A pleasure looking through your SB dude

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    One of those beautiful developments that I'm so glad conceptart allows us to capture and I'm also very glad to see some new work

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Fantastic improvement from beginning to current. I applaud you good sir!

Hush yo fatty bunz.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello Mind Cindy , first of all I would like to congratulate you for working so hard and for bieng so presistant and want to you to acknowledge the fact that you are my role model
    As I am a complete begginner I was hopping that you would tell me what books should I buy as I cant offer to take drawing classes and how many hours should I draw per day ?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    there are so many people telling you you rock so I'm not going to post any reply telling you you rock... (oh I'm funny) awesome how you did the teeth (even though they may not be finished they look awesome, simplified in strokes like that)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by cnctdsns View Post
    dude this thread is amazing
    i know its been said a lot already... but truly inspiring
    to watch how you progressed from this -

to this -

...incredible
    The way you put this just made me say "holy sh**" on this topic again. It's amazing to see the evolution by this perspective.

Sketchbook
    Tumblr - Drawing Journey

I haven't failed, I've found 10,000 ways that don't work. Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.
    Thomas A. Edison

Thanks
    Thanked 4,516 Times in 2,456 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    WOW!!! This is crazy inspiring sir.

sb most art copied to page 1
    Weapons of Mass Creation 2011 ::: Add your favourites!
    facebook: Alface Killah

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good lord - boom goes the dynamite..... jeeeeesus man - inspiring indeed..... I would say speechless but I'm bleating out awe and drooling. Fantastic studies and work. Jealous as hell - looking forward to more!!!

SKETCHBOOK

Daryl Zero: "A few words here about following people. People know they're being followed when they turn around and see someone following them. They can't tell they're being followed if you get there first."

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Smile BINGO!

This is my first post on the CA forum and seeing all the work I really felt like a "Absolute Rookie". I have only 19 and feel that it was too late to start studying digital art, art or drawing. But I've spent hours and hours to see every page of your sketchbook and feel, as all who have written before me, this is pretty motivating. Here in Peru it is quite difficult, especially conceptual study art. I study graphic design, I'm half the technical course and then for my part I have read and seen books on artistic design, the human face, still life, etc. See for example the costs of universities in USA, or the art department and beyond my expectations. Well out he could, but I have to accommodate myself to what I have and move forward. I had thought of doing the same thing you did, every day making sketches, concepts and listen to advice and criticism from everyone in the forum. My future goal is that here in Peru is to develop the career of conceptual art, handicraft mixing with digital and will not stop until you do because there is much to exploit here and there are many like me who wish they could have the same tools or possibilities, and I wish I could give them these tools to grow as artists.

I know my English is not good enough for everyone to understand, is because I stopped practicing for several years.

I look forward to any advice of many people visiting this post for how I look for the "push" needed to move forward.

Greetings from Peru

Page 70 of 72 FirstFirst ... 20 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 490