Sketchbook: Journey of an Absolute Rookie: Paintings and Sketches - Page 64

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 64 of 72 FirstFirst ... 14 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 LastLast
Results 1,891 to 1,920 of 2147
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ya u kinda inspired me. i need it i suck

check my sb in my sig

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Heya, good job man! Im really inspired by you

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Rock solid work, makes me wanna get dirty again.
    Cheers,
    Khan

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow...You really inspired me to push harder. I may be 21, but I can still improve. Thanks!!

Last edited by Lastro; August 23rd, 2008 at 10:37 PM. Reason: :D

Thanks
    Thanked 1,557 Times in 608 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    THE best thread on this site.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Psychotime View Post
    THE best thread on this site.
    I do not agree, its more like the best thread on the internet!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,101 Times in 491 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    O_o beautiful traditional paintings...I like it sooooo much

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I looked at the first page. Then I looked at the last page. And I damn near cried.. that's meant as a compliment, obviously Now I've looked through your entire sketchbook, and what can I say, it's bloody brilliant (words fail me xD). Or "omgwtfbbq" ,as the kids these days put it. Very inspirational.. need to get off my own ass and get some more studies in. I'd be over the moon if I were half as good as you've become ;D
    Keep up the great work!!

Insanity is the key!
    Also, studies are a key. And passion is a key. Also, so are inspiration, motivation and dedication. Talent can be a key. Insomnia can also be a key, depression is a sad rusty little key. Damn, artists need one hell of a keyring.

Current Sketchbook

My little webspace

My Old CA Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    really awesome stuff man, i ever saw your website before =)

thx for sharing

Thanks
    Thanked 1,209 Times in 438 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Jon! I've now been five days at Atelier Stockholm, where Hans and Sanna teach. I've finished my first bargue (it was a simple one, next one will take longer!), and already I have learned a tonne! I can only hope to have the same drive and discipline as you, so that I will be a great painter one day as well!

In other words... I'm breathing right up your neck!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i really love yours work .really .

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This is with a huge distance my favorite sketchbook around here! Seeing you how you developed your skills in painting/drawing over the years onto such a high standard rejoiced my heart. Great!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This particular SB is soooo inspiring for me!!!
    I love to travel thru pages and pages.... And see how you improbe to become a very talented artist.

Thanks for sharing your journey with all of us.

Cheers!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i really love yours work .really .

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I came a little too late! Mister, your progress is totally inspiring. I'm gonna push myself a little harder this time. Thank you so much.

Frankie Boy is offline Been drawing for a while, just starting studies. Advice is appreciated.
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This thread is so.. Amazing, inspirational, all these words have been said throughout this journey of yours. Words seem to be limiting how much this thread has done for me. I just looked through it for the last few hours and I can't put words to how it makes me feel.

Watching you progress from the beginning to the end is like watching the life of a person on a movie screen while holding the fast forward button down. Just looking through this, the beginning had the simple things looking like you really wanted to learn. When I saw the first page grow into the last I've gained a new respect for you and the discipline of art.

I'm 15 years old, I enjoy art and I want to pursue it but I'm not sure I can but all my heart into it. I've been drawing for a year or 2, filling up sketchbooks slowly but steadily. But looking at your progress makes me feel like that I should be drawing more. Not just here or there, whenever I please but every day. Every single day of my entire life could have been spent drawing, it seems like lost time but now it makes me realize how much time I have left to draw.

I haven't even noticed my progress until recently, I was cleaning my room and I saw my first sketchbook. I smiled and chuckled as I looked through it, trying to be cool with an anime like style. Then after I looked through all my sketchbooks, 5 or 6 of them I noticed that the beginning of my first sketchbook was only more then a year ago. One year and I went from that to where I am today. Suddenly I feel like I can and will pursue a career in art, it seems like I have all the time in the world.

This thread makes me feel warm inside, a great feeling and you can be damn sure as soon as I submit this reply I'll grab my sketchbook and draw.

Thank you for taking your journey, a journey that I haven't even noticed that I too began so long ago.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Frankie Boy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Aila View Post
    I looked at the first page. Then I looked at the last page. And I damn near cried.
    Me too.

I was linked to this thread in a debate on whether artistic talent is god-given or acquired.

I feel great now.

Last edited by ceci est une pipe; December 3rd, 2008 at 09:07 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i was looking at your first picture on page1 then i skiped to one of the last pages and i was like.. * BLEEEP o.O * which stands for exitement and speechlessness (if that is a word) you have extremly improved, great thing! i want to learn this painterly stroke that you incorporate in your paintings. you are my role model!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Im sorry if this has been asked already, but I've been going through the whole sketchbook from the start and Im only up to page 40 (I've been skipping every few pages or so) but anyway I was wondering if you knew where I could get some of those anatomical casts you are working from or something similar?
    I really think just setting one of those up somewhere and just changing the light sources about and sketches could be really useful to my understanding of light on the figure. Anyway I'm rambling, awesome work so far, your progression is amazing.
    Hope you can help

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've browsed your sketchbook and I must say you're an inspiration to all us n00bs here at CA

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My, oh my...
    I just spent the last 4 or more hours on here. I read through all 65 of these pages (well I skimmed many of the comments). "Lunatique" at cgsociety said that any beginner had to read through this. Now I see why.
    I have been trying to better my own art for about 2 1/2 years now, and I often get frustrated. I am attending an art college, and when I started I wanted to become a concept artist or an illustrator. I kept hearing that the one I am at is the best in Canada (or at least second best). That's why I chose to come here in the first place. But it turns out they are a "conceptual art college". I have even been told by teachers that the concept behind the art is more important than how well the piece is actually pulled off. I have been feeling for a while now that I am more just working toward a degree in justifying crappy art, than I am actually learning to draw well.
    But going through this forum has got to be the biggest inspiration for me, ever. I feel like just reading this is some sort of life changing experience. It's incredible the journey you have taken in just a few short years. Any time I become discouraged and feel like I am not making any progress, I will just have to think of this forum.
    My girlfriend is sleeping right now, but first thing when she wakes up, I need to show her this. She is very much into traditional art, and just the other day was like "doesn't anyone care about traditional art anymore?" I didn't even know that ateliers still existed really (or had no idea how to find them). So yeah, definitely going to be showing her this thread.
    And seriously, thank you for keeping up with this for so long and documenting your whole journey. For anyone who is getting discouraged, this could change everything.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    to MindCandyMan:
    Unbelievable, delightful! You have a really talent! Thank you so much! best regards from Russia.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow, this is one of the most inspirational threads I've ever seen. The amount of progress you've made in itself is the most inspirational thing, and it really confirms my belief in myself. Thanks for posting all this great work!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I stumbled across this thread a few weeks ago and didn't stop reading until I reached the end sometime after 3am. Thank you *SO* much for spending what must have been a great amount of time preserving all of the early images and making this thread broken-link free. Your work is phenomenal.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    awesome thread with beautiful paintings

verry cool

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wow, you're living inspiration! seeing your progress makes me very happy. thanks for working on this and keep going! \:U/

ca | pn | cd | zbc | as | tumblr | fb

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You know I have had one of my worst slump as an artist these past weeks, struggling at the FAA and just feeling frustrated. I happen to stumble across this thread at the right time, and I have to say it really lifted my spirit, and just wanted to thank you for that.

Your a true testament to the human will.

Keep going Jonathan.

Pedram

www.pedramziaei.com

sketchbook
    http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=107813

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Victor B - Thanks so much man. Hope you are doing well!

Lukias - Thanks man. Yeah you said it...just a little bit of pressure hehe. I made another painting and sent it to the gallery but he said that was too big to fit in the space as well so he must've needed something really small.

Blackhawk - You are hilarious dude hahah...slappin that bull. You are doing the same thing now man!

christian.m - Life does get crazy and things can definitely take over if you let them. What you have to do is set a specific time each day for your work. It doesn't always happen, but if you don't set a specific time you will never paint. Having a set schedule has helped me get all of that under control. Right now I'm knee deep in tax stuff...bleh. Thanks for the kind words too man.

princessbunny99 - Awesome! Yes you should definitely be starting a sketchbook. Hopefully you are still rolling with that

Untouched24 - Absolutely no problem at all man. Thanks for the words. My path is here with all of its ugliness hehe. I'm still learning and certainly still having fun.

momothemonkey - Hey I took a look at your sketchbook and your work looks better than mine at the beginning of this thread...so don't worry too much about. Just keep pushing and take your training serious and you will go far.

notti - Thanks so much I appreciate it!

Chupacabra - Definitely get down and dirty with oils if you can man...there's no better way to do it!

Lastro - Absolutely...if you live to the average age you still have 49 years left...plenty of time to get better

Psychotime - Thanks so much. You're making me blush

pijus - Now I'm blushing even more...you guys.

Verehin - Thanks!

Aila - Thanks so much! Even if you would have just lingered on the first page you probably would have found something to make you cry...it was that bad hehe. But seriously though there is nothing special about me...I was able to get the training I needed and I had the time to be able to pursue this. I got lots of help from others so trust me there is nothing special about me.

pao - Thanks! And thanks for visiting my website as well.

Serpian - Hey! That's awesome that you are attending their atelier in Stockholm. How is that going for you? I'm sure you are breathing up my neck even closer now .

ConCrete - Slap it low...back at ya.

SADCLOWN - Thanks so much!

shamandalie - Thanks so much...I'm glad I could help inspire you to keep pushing with your art. I think the biggest part in succeeding is just being stubborn hehe.

Frankie Boy - You definitely don't write like you are 15...you seem much older and wiser! What you described is exactly how it is when learning art...or anything really...you look back a couple of years and shudder at what you see. But back then you were trying your hardest and that's all you could do. If you want a career in art you can definitely have one...it will take you 5-10 years of hard work, but if you want it bad enough you will get it. There's nothing special about me...trust me...just push hard and take your studies serious and there will be no stopping you.

ceci est une pipe - Thanks so much. I'm glad I got you feeling good!

Katzenminze - Thanks so much! The painterly strokes come when all of the basic foundational materials are learned. To do something in one stroke requires that you know what value, edge, color temperature, etc... that stroke should contain. Once you are really comfortable with all the basics (which is where the majority of work is required when learning) you will find that you can go as "loose" or as "tight" as you want to.

danlambert - I, and my students, get casts from statue.com or giustgallery.com . Giust gallery's casts are far superior but you pay more for them as well. Statue.com is cheaper and so you get what you pay for. If you search around giust gallery's site they have a bunch of casts that are cheaper though...you can find ones that fit your budget if you search long enough. Hopefully that helps.

ch1xx0r - Thanks so much man!

Arkanthor - I know exactly what you mean. When I first started pursuing art I took classes at University of Pennsylvania (an ivy league school) in the masters of fine art program. I was working there so I could take them for free. The classes were a complete joke and I was learning nothing. The teacher's assistant actually said that her master's thesis was going to be going to Vegas to get married...getting divorced 5 minutes after that...filming the whole thing and setting it up as an installation. So I dropped the class after a couple of weeks. That's actually why I started my online atelier as well so I could get this kind of training to anyone that wanted it...because so few universities or colleges even know how to create traditional type work. But even if your college is more conceptual you can still make the best of it and approach it differently than everyone else. They will yell at you and say you are boring, but just ignore them. If you take the hard route (working on foundational skills like drawing, etc...) then it will pay off in the end. They will be jealous of you at that point .

azazell - Thank you so much! Much love back at you in Russia!

jeremyg0rd0n - Absolutely no problem man. Like I've said before there is nothing special about me. Hard work + proper training + time = results....for sure.

courtyard - Thanks so much. I had a lot of help with those early links as well from Emily G. She really helped me keep this thread alive. She is an awesome person and an awesome artist and she deserves credit for that as well. Thanks for reading through the whole thread I appreciate...hopefully you got some sleep that night hehe.

`ej - Thanks!

nim - Thanks so much and don't worry...I don't plan on stopping. I'm more of train now...the only way to stop would be a wreck heheh.

pedramz - Thanks man. You know I got some wise advice from Jon Foster a long time ago. He told me that you will hate your work one day and love it another day...that's all part of the artistic process. There are days when I love painting and days when I hate it just like anything else. Frustration is all part of the game...but the better you get the less frustrating it gets because you can manage your mistakes and predict them. So there is light at the end of the tunnel. Definitely keep going and don't let anything get in your way. Success is partly about just being stubborn hehe.

Well I know it's been a super long time since I updated so I will just say it, "Sorry". I have been ultra busy lately doing paintings for shows and working with my students in my online atelier. Things have been going very well. In fact I'm doing the best now that I have ever done in terms of painting sales and everything in general...which is weird because the rest of the country is struggling. I guess I was used to making so little before hehe. At any rate it has been too long and I apologize. But here are some updates for you. I gave these paintings to the gallery last week:

Name:  Memories_web_size.jpg
Views: 52299
Size:  134.9 KB

This is called "Memories" and is 20 x 24 or so if I remember right.

Name:  Marie_in_a_blue_scarf_web_size.jpg
Views: 55514
Size:  101.3 KB

This one was a quick study that I did of my wife. I actually posted up a video of the painting process on youtube.com as well. It was a 2 hour painting so I sped up the process to 2000%. You can check that out here at this link:

CLICK HERE TO SEE A SPEED PAINTING VERSION OF THAT PAINTING ON YOUTUBE

Thanks again for all the great comments guys. You guys rule.

32. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to MindCandyMan For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh man, awesome video, i love seeing how other people paint!

This thread is like a bottomless well of inspiration by the way, and almost no broken image links at all! That's just incredible.

Page 64 of 72 FirstFirst ... 14 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 536