Page 64 of 144 FirstFirst ... 14 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 114 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    that cast is coming right along. did you notice that your upper lip is more detailed than the actual cast? it might just be the way it shows up online tho (sorry if that sounds nitpicky..I know it can be a pain to clean those kinda things up). it's really starting to stand off the page tho, and that's the goal (at least I think). on the goatman (I can't remember what they're called...a satyr?), did you use your face as a model for it? it kinda looks like you, apart from the horns and hairy legs (hmm..well, hopefully apart from those). An observation I've made, most of us tend to project bits of our own appearance into what we draw. I very rarely draw women without at least wavy hair, and I've noticed that most of your personages bear a faint resemblence to you. Interesting. Anyway...

The oils are awesome. That's the medium that I'm most "enthralled" with and it's cool to see what you're doing with them. Keep on keepin' on.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    wow Jon, didnt notice the cast drawing till now thought the drawing was another photo or something, realy cool. Your about The most improved artist here, in my opinion. Also a humble guy as well very nice to see your progress and it is glorious.

JP

Thanks
    xia - Thanks man it is definitely hard but it's very rewarding! I am finding too that drawing/painting more from life has given me a keener eye for what makes something look more 3d...it's easy to spot something done by a photograph to me now. I asked John Howe a while back how he learned to draw from his memory etc...and I asked him if I should be doing anything in addition to my atelier work and he told me "just keep drawing from life you may not always have the opportunity...imagination will always be there" so hopefully I'm on the right track hehe. Plus I like having an original to frame, sell, etc... something that will last. I've been LOVING your thread by the way...awesome...very cool stuff.

stormy - Thanks! I notice the same thing about my drawings that some of the guys look like me...that's not a good thing hehe ...j/k...but really I have noticed that must be from the self portraits I guess hehe.

Targete - Cool! I'm glad it looked like a photo hehe that's the goal I guess. Thanks so much for your kind words...sometimes I feel like I am so far behind and it's frustrating at times but I can only take it one day at a time. It's awesome to hear such encouraging words from a pro I look up to! Thanks JP you're the man!

___________________________________________-

This was for the current dsg...I hadn't done this type of thing for a while...it's fun to goof off every once in a while hehe

Attachment 93877

Another step on this charcoal drawing...this will be an ongoing pose that we will render fully, etc... I have no idea what I am doing really hehe...glad my teachers are there....

Attachment 93878

More work on the cast...almost done! Sorry if it's getting redundant.

Attachment 93879
    Last edited by emily g; June 22nd, 2007 at 01:40 AM.

Thanks
    youre my hero !

Thanks
    nice lighting on that... blue thing could you please explain me how to get light to reflect as it is supposed to? i can't seem to get that right...

i feel like kissing those lips already, man

keep up

Thanks

nice work...

that creature looks pretty good and the cast is coming along great. the painting of the lemons came out good also, i didn't notice that before. i need to paint more for sure.

peace
    empty
    peace,
    empty

--------------
    got phib?

Thanks
    You talked to John Howe? When, where, how long, what kind of guy is he?

:cool:

(Love that sea monster!)

Jester
    Imagination is intelligence having fun!

Jester's Sketchbook

Portfolio web site

Thanks

Thoes Lips

Jon!!!!! Dude that drawing of the cast is fantastic! Couldn't tell it was a drawing. You are seriously getting better. Also like the building drawings you've done, seems to be a strong point for you. As soon as I figure this site out I'm gona start posting my junk. Keep up the good work.

J Preston

Thanks
    endregan - Thanks man

KR33P - Thanks! I think the easiest way to paint the light reflecting is to imagine it as simple shapes...that blue sea horse thing is mostly a cylinder...so it will react to light like a cylinder does. Studying the simple shapes and applying that lighting to more complex ones is the way to do it...but I am just a rookie so don't necessarily take my word for it!

empty - Thanks bro...I would love to see some oil paintings from you I bet they would be awesome!

jester - Thanks...I don't know John Howe or anything (I wish I did) I just contacted him a little while ago through his website and was able to ask him some questions. From what I've read and viewed of him he seems like a really intelligent witty guy. Slightly reserved and all but he's a really good writer too!

Argus - Thanks man! I'm so glad you found this site how cool man! You definitely should post your stuff...send me a note when you do post...thanks for stopping by bro!

Hi guys...I will post more later but here is an update on one of the charcoal figure drawings I was working on.

Attachment 93881

Did this for dsg just now

Attachment 93882
    Last edited by emily g; June 22nd, 2007 at 01:41 AM.

Thanks
    Jon,
    Giving a quick look through of your stuff I'm going to really have to say you have a good understanding of human anatomy, especially the anatomy sketches you did for class. I'm guessing you got this dude out of a magazine or something....unless, you got tribes running around out where you are. I may be jumping ahead on this one but I would really love to see a fully fleshed out picture, with all the bells and whistles. If you have any I'd really like to take a look.

Thanks
    Argus - So cool to have you on here bro...I love it! Actually I did that guy out of my head this morning...that's principally why I couldn't make a more detailed rendering hehe...it's interesting how drawing from life really does give you the fuel to start doing things from your head...even though that sketch is really rudimentary I wouldn't have been able to do it 6 months ago...weird. I will send you some full renders in an email today...take care bro ...glad you are interested!

________________________________-

Hadn't done a self portrait for a while wanted to get back into it again...I think this probably looks the most like me than any other ones I have done yet...Yesssss I am getting closer to capturing my ugliness...woohoo!:

squinting hehe
    Last edited by MindCandyMan; February 15th, 2007 at 09:43 AM.

Thanks
    hey man nice one.

my eyes are like that too hehe. they look so tiny it throws me way off when I do a self portrait.

man am i ever having trouble on SPS.... I need a break or something I dont know haha

Thanks
    wow man, youve really gotten a lot better. some of those paintings you have here are looking pretty sharp. not much else to say except keep drawing and painting as much as you can

Thanks
    Wow, I am impressed. That Self Portrait is a really nice improvement! In your early SPs, everything was FLAT, but you're showing volume in this one. Great job! Keep up the great work!

Thanks
    endregan - Dont take a break! When you are struggling hit it even harder...you are going through a growth spurt...do all you can to milk it!

metalwinds - Thanks man! That's exactly right...paint and draw as much as I can...I'm off to the studio...thanks for stopping by the thread!

DragonGX - Thanks man...yeah it really helped watching my teacher paint a portrait in oils...I watched her every session each time...it was very very informative...I can't wait till I can do my own in oil!

Last edited by MindCandyMan; February 15th, 2007 at 09:43 AM.

Page 64 of 144 FirstFirst ... 14 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 114 ... LastLast