Sketchbook: Journey of an Absolute Rookie: Paintings and Sketches - Page 60
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 60 of 72 FirstFirst ... 10 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 ... LastLast
Results 1,771 to 1,800 of 2143

Thread: Journey of an Absolute Rookie: Paintings and Sketches

Ellingsworth Guest
    Always an inspiration, man. Keep it up. Just a quick question were did you buy your casts from?

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Thanked 1,584 Times in 1,007 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Wow! I read the first 31 pages of this before realising how much time had run away.... I'll catch up with the rest later! What a great journey you've been on in the past 5 years!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,171 Times in 468 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/att...0&d=1188397699

that one is beautifull!

fantastic!

cheers

-----------------------------------------------------------
    BJÖRN HURRI | CONCEPT ARTIST & ILLUSTRATOR

MY PORTFOLIO | HURRICANES DAILY DOODLES '12
    MY EXCLUSIVE SKETCHBOOK
    VIKING: BATTLE FOR ASGARD
    TWITTER
    THE OTHER BROTHERS

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Woo, very nice floral stills; I usually don't like those

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That is a truly stunning progression. I've also developed............... repetitive strain injury going through this thread kudos to you

British hack at your service ma'am

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=103756

SKETCH BOOK ^

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I haven't been on this forum in years, but it's great to see you still going strong, MindCandyMan.

Keep up.

Emil

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Call0ps - Thanks so much! Everything went well with the gallery in California. He liked my work and wants me to keep sending him my new stuff. We'll see how that relationship turns out.

Gilead - Thanks so much! I get tired of looking at them hehe.

voxelfog - I'm really glad you noticed that. I was doing that intentionally with this painting because I've seen Schmid do the same thing. I love the effect and I wanted to explore it. Thanks!

gorgnut - That's fantastic! Keep me updated with your progress.

Diphallia - Thanks so much. Good start on your sketchbook thread as well. It's certainly tough to keep going that's for sure. It's even harder to begin I think. Stay strong and keep pushing. Don't let yourself stop.

reidaj - Thanks so much for the comments. You are absolutely right about there not begin much information on direct painting. I intend to change that. I have focused my painting instruction to be centered around the direct approach. There are a lot of tangible concepts that I can pass on now after thinking and working through everything for a while. The academic route is definitely the best one to start off with because that gives you the control. And you need the control in order to paint directly. I made that transition basically by studying schmid, gerhartz, morgan weistling, scott burdick, sargent, zorn, boldini, and a myriad of others. I am now starting to really get ahold of what they were doing. Now I just have to practice it till I die hehe.

ellingsworth - Thanks! I got them from statue.com in the "drawing" section.

alesoun - Wow you are a braver individual than I am! This thread is too long for me to go through hehehe. Plus it's embarrassing for me heheh. I'm honored that you took the time to go through. Thanks for stopping by.

hurricane - Thanks man! That means a lot to me coming from you. Your work is amazing now man. Your progression has been so amazing to watch. Now it's you who is inspiring conceptart!

Idiot Apathy - Thanks haha...i know what you mean. I am getting tired of them.

BurntUmber - Thanks for going through my thread! But please...I have no money so don't sue me for your arthritis hehe.

KR33P - Glad to see you back! Thanks for stopping by the thread.

Ok so I wanted to update you guys with what is going on with me recently. I also wanted to ask for all of your opinion on what I am planning next. A bunch of things were brought across my path that I found interesting. The first one was my brother taking a Don Seegmiller online workshop that was really cool. He told me all about it and he learned a ton from it. I also recently was contacted by "form n focus" from concept art to give him some advice on painting. I wrote him back a lengthy response giving what help that I could. I have also received a lot of emails in the last couple months from individuals interested in studying with me. They were all interested but said that they couldn't make the move to Texas. I feel bad for those individuals who really want to learn this method but have no way of accessing an atelier in their area. Then it hit me...why not do an online atelier...in the same manner that Don Seegmiller did his workshop.

So this is my idea. I have setup a private forum on my website that only students can access. Each student would have their own private heading where all their threads are created under. There would also be "public" areas where they could talk and interact with the other students studying with me...but I thought it was important that each student had their own area that no one could look at but me.

There are, of course, inherent difficulties in trying to teach the atelier method long distance but I may have found a way around them...with technology. So each student would have to have access to a digital camera and also a scanner. For their bargue drawings they would simply have to scan their drawing and post the image for my assessment. Casts would be a little more tricky since they would have to take pictures of what they are working on, but I have been able to get it very close with my camera. Another thing I have found is that I can usually critique people without even looking at the cast as much now. I have progressed to the point where i can see their flaws without seeing the original which will help in doing it online. When people start painting they could scan their painting (on a panel) or take a picture of it, etc...

This certainly would not be the ideal way to learn...but it also might make it accessible for individuals who can't learn any other way. It would definitely have to be more of a instructed self study...but I still think it could be extremely beneficial for people. Students would be able to ask any questions they want and get lengthy and full bodied answer anytime. I am also thinking of setting up a video system in my studio so I can distribute video to all my online students of me working and other things. So in other words...every section would have a pdf write up of what you are going to be doing...a video instruction...and personal attention and instruction from me via my website forum.

You guys are a lot smarter than me so I am wondering what you guys would think about this type thing. I am already starting to work on it and I'm guessing I would charge anywhere from 100-150 dollars a month. Students could pay via paypal...etc...so they could be in any country. I charge 350 (which is cheap for ateliers) for my "in house" atelier students so it's a much cheaper alternative.

Let me know what you guys think and if you have any ideas. I think I could definitely fill a need. Here's a screenshot of the forum I started creating:

Name:  onlinestudies.jpg
Views: 24534
Size:  88.2 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sounds a great idea! Unfortunately just now I'm busy and broke (usually it's one or the other, not both), or I'd be right there.

How many students are you going to take at a time online, and how many months will they study with you for (on average)? I'll get my piggy bank and start saving........

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm not sure how many I would take online but I wouldn't want to overcrowd it that's for sure. I'm thinking that I wouldn't want more than 8 - 10 students. It's really important to me that everyone receives personal attention and if the numbers started getting crazy I just wouldn't be able to do that...or I could do it but I just wouldn't be able to paint hehe.

The fortunate thing is that people could study for as long as they wanted. All the way up through creating body of work to take to galleries with my help...or just getting all the foundational training. Depending on how long they could study...the program would shift to suit their needs. Of course if someone has two months...I would just stick to foundational drawing issues...6 months advanced drawing issues. 2 years and you are talking about getting deeper into painting, etc... This method of study would take a motivated individual though...the faster and harder you work the faster you would progress. The nice thing about individualized training is that you can move faster or slower if need be.

I think I also have some future plans that I might implement as well. If I get a full load of students I may take some of the money and pay some other artists to do little demos that I distribute to my students...like Bill Whitaker...or people like that. Even if I got them in for a live chat session where my students get to ask them questions or something like that. I am even thinking about offering one student a scholarship for a certain amount of months every year or something like that. I've always wanted to give people the chance to learn to draw who are serious about it...who haven't had the opportunity or money. I am blessed to be in the situation I'm in and have had tremendous help from others. It's important to keep that going.

Aardvarkphil is offline Stepping into the darkness and finding the next step isn't there Level 4 Gladiator: Meridiani
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    when do you think you'll be in a position to start Virtual Atelier.

Bargue is my friend

Twitter and Facebook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So what would you do? Take 2/3/6 months in advance? *shakes piggy bank*

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    aardvarkphil - I am working hard right now getting all the materials together into a cohesive unit. I am already in the process of doing it for others who are very interested which is really what got the ball rolling. I'm thinking in another 2-4 weeks I could have it ready for students beginning the drawing portion. One of the things I want to do is have a section of the forum that is just a demo of me doing the whole process. So there will be a very detailed walkthrough of me doing a bargue drawing...and then a cast drawing...cast painting...etc...The more advanced demos will take longer but I am planning on getting the initial demos done within the next two or three of weeks. I spent most of today writing up the materials list and process for a bargue drawing. I still have more to write but I'll get that done soon.

alesoun - I'm not sure about that yet. I am thinking of doing it on a month to month basis. I will ask students how long they are planning on studying and then arrange the curriculum accordingly...but i think paying by month is the best way. So the first of every month a student pays for the next months training. If the student doesn't pay then I'll assume they are stopping and they won't get any help the next month. Eventually they would just forfeit their position...if there are others waiting.

_________

I'm glad this is appealing to you guys. One of the things I have found is that I really like dvds as opposed to workshops. Dvds allow you to rewind and play again and again and again. Which I have with mine. This way of training I think would allow you to do that as well. You will be able to look at the critique and instruction as much as you want and digest it over a long period of time...as opposed to hearing it once and then it disappearing into the ether. Students in my studio get to watch me paint anytime and hear me say the same things over and over...it's a much better situation in person...but in my opinion this would be second best.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow nice sketchbooks man alot of stuff and progress

Ev'sSketchbook for the lazy minded but willing!
    Help an artist, leave a critique.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    so impressive your progress… and now you are making so much beautiful work. very inspiring.

just a little question cause im curious: do you make some drawings from imagination from time to time?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    MindCandyMan, the 'virtual atelier' is an amazing idea and I'm really interested in it. You've helped me before, a while ago, when I e-mailed you about learning to draw and paint, and you've always been a really inspiring artist. I've had some personal crap coming down on me lately and it's been pretty hard to get everything going and train myself (since there's no decent education out here). But, I'm getting things organized now and I'm trying to work my way up bit by bit. If there's any possibility for me to participate in this one day, I'll be more than happy. I've been looking for something like this for so long!

Woke up this morning, found out my signature was gone..

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A Virtual Atelier is an awesome idea, I would definitely be interested. The subjects of cast painting and direct painting are of particular interest to me. Technology certainly would help to overcome the limitations of remote study, although like you said it would be the type of program best geared to self starters who can work independently. I'd also have to agree that I have reaped a lot more mileage out of DVD's then short workshops. I think a lot of aspiring students look far and wide for workshops that will teach them the 'secrets', when what it often takes is hearing the same good advice over and over again until it finally 'clicks'- which is much easier when you pause & rewind a DVD again and again.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Evxyza92 - Thanks! It's been a long and fun road for sure hehe.

N1ck - Thanks for your kind words! I actually do draw from my imagination a little bit now. I can't spend as much time doing it in proportion to my other work but I do. Doing some imaginative work has actually led me into the next projects I am working on. I am going to be doing a series of paintings that combine iconography or illumination/mucha/sargent/bouguereau and some other influences all rolled into one. There's going to be gold leaf on the paintings and some other cool stuff so we'll see how they turn out. Should be fun nonetheless.

Coen - That's fantastic to hear that you are interested. Your story is exactly why I want to do something like this. I want to give people the training that can't get it otherwise. I've been working hard the past two days to get the bargue drawing information all solidified. I've had to take a lot of pictures and write up a lot of instruction but it will be good when it's done I think. I also want to do a video describing everything as well so we'll see how that goes.

reidaj - Yes you understand exactly what I mean! I have felt the same way about dvds. I'm glad you are interested in the atelier studying online as well. I will be updating constantly here and soon I will work out all the details and be up and running. I will let all of you know on here as soon as everything is good to go. Technology is certainly opening the doors for this type of thing.

--------------------

Hey guys I am about halfway done the bargue drawing demo and information. Then I need to record a short video explaining some of the concepts and compile it all cohesively and then I will be ready to start people in the training. It will take me longer to get the cast drawing/painting demos going but individuals will be able to start the method now and I will have those demos shortly after that. I also have some other issues to work out as well. I need to make sure I can backup the forum appropriately as well. If for some reason it was corrupted I would need to be able to recover the information easily. I will be manually backing everything up as well each day but I want to make sure I have a secondary backup as well.

In the meantime here are some paintings I've finished recently. The study of the hand is something that I am doing again...I'm just doing some color/anatomy/etc... studies to refresh myself. I also am going to start selling some of these studies (like this one) online for a much cheaper price than my other paintings. Instead of just hording them in my studio...I figure someone might want them for a modest price...so we'll see how that goes. I also have a still life that is dry, varnished, and framed. Also I have an example of one of the pictures that will be used in my bargue drawing demo/instruction that I am creating. It's about preparing your pencil...etc... All part of the process...there's a lot to cover. I'm excited to get things rolling with that though.

Name:  marie_handstudy_1_websize.jpg
Views: 34884
Size:  60.9 KB

Name:  red_onions_websize_framed.jpg
Views: 24194
Size:  75.6 KB

Name:  cutting_pencil_back1websize.jpg
Views: 24140
Size:  42.6 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey MCM congratulations on your fantastic progress, quite simply amzing.
    the oils really show your sensitivity and ability to reach far
    beyond the fundamentals you've honed with your training.
    I'm still chippin away at a multitude of media, in and out of uni
    (*pulls hair out). I had an accident a couple of months ago
    and nearly lost my face!

Glad to say I'm now recovering extremely well post
    reconstrucive surgery. I am feeling strong inside
    with plenty of belly to burn so your bound to see me up here
    sooner or later now that the life component is going well.
    Wish you all the best with your new endeavours mate!

~Roh

www.myspace.com/rohart

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Jon
    I would be really interested in the online thing. Time and distance conspire against me for in person training so let me know when you're going to start up. Hopefully we can work it out for me to be a part of this.
    Thanks, Craig

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Your work and your artistic journey are truly inspiring. I've gone through this thread a few times when feeling down and making little progress and its always been an uplifting experience. Thank you for sharing your journey with us...

Your online atelier idea sounds promising. I wish you luck with that project. I too would be interested in entertaining the idea of participating... any idea as to how much time one would have to commit? I already have a full time job, family etc. so physically attending classes can sometimes be a bit of a scheduling nightmare, but I think self paced learning could probably be squeezed in.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Always kicking ass an taking names in here Jon! I love the new paintings...and the new ideas.

"absorb what is useful, discard what is useless, and keep what is essentially your own." - Bruce Lee

Bojee's Monkey Brain
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...=29869&page=54

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Stuning! wow, i cant find words to express what i felt when i saw such an amazing progress.

Now i know i can reach my own goals, in some way u ll be my lighthouse.

Gratz

sve is offline Registered User Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello, I'm interested in your on-line art class... please let me know when you are ready to start it.
    Sveta

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wow, all i can say is wow. this thread gives me hope. every time i look at other people's art i almost die with envy. i have half a mind to break my pencil and give up on drawing, but i love it too much to.

the progress you made is just amazing. i tip my boston red sox's hat to you. oh, if you don't mind, i want to write about you or this thread to be more correct.

i'll start drawing in my sketchbook everyday. i might not be able to reach that amazing level, but maybe I'll be better.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Man your progression is amazing!!! respect dude!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, really nice paintings. Got to say I love the portraits where the figures almost melts with the background, and with only one (well not many) light sources. Like these portraits. Sure, it's photos of them, but still. Your latest update is extremely nice too. The veins in the hand... Keep it up

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    What a totally inspirational thread. Thank you so much for sharing.

I just spent the better part of today reading and watching your progression. I know many have said this before, but what you have become is just awesome, considering the time it took - a mere 4 years pld:

Thank you thank you thank you

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like your work, very inspiring, your a master, i used to do oils, not so much, and seeing your work reminds me how good is this kind of art, congratulations

Last edited by Lot; October 23rd, 2007 at 04:43 PM.
    Sorry for my poor english

sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Rohan - Wow man I'm really glad to hear that you are ok. That sounds like it must have been awful. No one can tell you you're not going to be a successful artist...you had a bad accident and the first thing you are talking about is getting back to drawing. That's dedication! I'm really sorry about the accident but I'm certainly glad that you are doing well now.

Craig D - Awesome! I am glad you are interested. Time and distance conspire against so many people. It always comes down to time, location, and money. In almost every case people can have two of the three...but rarely all three. I feel very fortunate to have been able to study in person, but for those who cannot I really want to help them out. I am working really hard and things are almost finished. I am having to learn how to edit in premiere and do a bunch of other things but I'm really excited about all of the possibilities. Look for my updates here when everything is ready to roll. It will be very soon. Most likely in the next couple of weeks.

AphexTweak - Thanks for the kind words! And I'm really glad you are interested in the online atelier idea. As far as time commitment, it would be entirely up to you. You would pay a monthly fee and would have access to my teaching any time that you wanted/needed it. I plan on the online atelier eventually taking the place of my private lessons right now...so I am planning on spending 3-4 hours a day (probably at night), if necessary, answering everyone's questions and recording video responses. So really the time you would have to invest would be up to you. The more you work the faster you will progress in the program. I hope that answers your question. If you need more info just shoot me an email or respond on here.

Bojee - Thanks man! How are things going for you? Good I hope!

PaTXiNaKi - Thanks for the kind words. It's really encouraging to me to see that this thread can help inspire others. If I can reach my goals...you most certainly can. I think it takes me twice as long...and I have to work twice as hard to learn what everyone else does hehe.

sve - That's fantastic! I'm glad you are interested. I have completed the first bargue study demo and I am editing the final videos. The forum is up and running and I think I've worked out all the paypal stuff as well. It most likely will be up and running in the next couple weeks. I will let everyone know on here as soon as it is fully functioning.

aquamarina2 - I know what you mean about envying other people's work! I feel the same way! There are painters that I look up to...dead and alive...that just kick my butt every time I see their work. Keep working hard and let your art lead you...you will be kicking butt in no time!

MeTaL-Mike - Thanks man...respect right back at ya!

Sarcophagus - Thanks man. Yeah that's definitely my preferred way to paint subjects. I love a simple light source with strong shadow masses. Rembrandt certainly led the way painting the way that he did. I'm a firm believer in keeping the lighting simple and beautiful. Too many light sources can kill something quickly.

PyroMania - Absolutely...you are welcome. I should be the one thanking all of you though. You guys encouraged and critiqued me all the way to where I am right now.

Lot - Thanks so much for your comments. I definitely love working in oils...I even like the smell of my oil paints.

Ok guys so I have a quick update on the Online Atelier progress. I have learned how to edit properly in adobe premiere (and put a voice over on top). I finished the Bargue Setup tutorial and will be finishing the other ones soon as well. This first video has taken a while because I have been learning how to do everything, but now I know exactly what I need to do. I have completed the bargue drawing and filmed the entire thing. I am now just editing it all together into bite size chunks. I have decided to encode all my videos into .divx format. The reason for that is because quicktime creates nice files...but they are huge in size and I don't want people overseas to have to sit for hours downloading something on a slow day. Also divx is free and is one of the best compressors I have used. I could make the files wmv's but not everyone has windows and divx is a little better anyways. Here is a picture of the finished bargue I did for the demo:

Name:  foot_bargue_study_websize.jpg
Views: 26251
Size:  51.2 KB

I also wanted to post up another one of the studies I completed recently. I love doing these and I will be doing a bunch more as well. I've finished a still life and some other things since my last post and as soon as I can varnish them they will be up here:

Name:  marie_ear_eye_mouth_study_websize.jpg
Views: 36281
Size:  77.2 KB

I also wanted to brag about one of my students as well. Nate just recently finished this cast. This isn't the finished version but it's pretty close. Look for the finished version soon on his website: http://www.snitzerart.com

Name:  nate_second_cast_websize.jpg
Views: 26227
Size:  57.5 KB

Last edited by MindCandyMan; October 26th, 2007 at 11:34 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That top right ear study is pretty nice

Do you know Philip de Champaigne? He has a painting in the Louvre of hand studies which are exquisite ! That page reminded me of it.

**Edit** : Woops, forget that. I meant Nicolas de L'argillierre.
    But Philippe de Champaigne is realy nice as well. You can see where Bouguereau got his beautifull rendition of flesh from.

**Edit 2** :Ok lol, I promise this is the last edit. But now you can see the painting in my avatar

and here's the link to it. I just drooled over this for half an hour or so when I was at the Louvre, just gorgeous : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Nicolas_De_Largilli%C3%A8re-%C3%89tude_de_main.jpg

Last edited by Art_Addict; October 26th, 2007 at 12:09 PM. Reason: avatar
    www.tomvandewouwer.com

"There is no such thing as 'accurate drawing'. There is beautiful
    drawing, and ugly, and nothing else." JAD Ingres, Ecrits sur l'art
    (1780-1865)"

31. The Following User Says Thank You to Art_Addict For This Useful Post:

Page 60 of 72 FirstFirst ... 10 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 491