Sketchbook: Journey of an Absolute Rookie: Paintings and Sketches - Page 6

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 6 of 72 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 56 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    w00t! gooo loomis!

Ohhh btw, I like that cyborg self-portrait!

Nice CM

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You got Focus and drive man....

I just looked through your whole thread,, and 2 hrs later I get
    too post. I really do not know what else to say because it all
    has been said.
    I say keep doing what you are doing and never stop.
    Draw, Draw, Draw, and when you get tiredd Draw some more,,
    And then after your fingers are bleeding... Wrap them up and Draw some more....:chug:

I am everywhere,
    &,
    I am Nowhere.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    December 31st - January 1st

ODIN SIX - Thanks so much for the encouragement man. I am trying but you are absolutely right...I need to push myself even harder. Thanks for looking at my stuff...I will keep posting you count on that. Honestly...the encouragement I get on these boards is astounding...it really helps me keep going. Thanks again...

-I should have asked for some gauze for Christmas...to wrap my fingers when they bleed-

sic1 - Thanks for the encouragement man. Yeah with that cyborg portrait (even though it may not show it) something clicked in my head...I was able to see how to achieve details...I was also able to see how hard it really is to make a detailed painting. Thanks so much for the encouragement man...I was actually in MD for New Years Eve...I lived in Bel Air for a really long time...exit 77B hehe. Thanks again man.

Ok I am kicking things up a notch now. The holidays were sort of an unwillful break from my stride...now I will hit things even harder.

Update:

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by MindCandyMan; February 13th, 2007 at 10:58 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey, im new as well to digital painting but dont have the time to paint everynight or anything.. my current wip is up in wip section.. anywho i wanted to say the second image the top right character gave a very sinister feel and some potential lies behind that one if u were to continue on.. keep up the devotion man..

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    January 2nd

Chudzta - Thanks for the comment. I think I am gonna work that guy a little more. I did a quick painting for the mercenary thread and that's kind of what he grew out of. Hey I checked out your post...looks good man! I know you asked about the sky...I would vary the values in the sky a little more...maybe put some clouds in there and stuff...add some darker greys. Push the values. Lookin good though man...landscapes like that are really hard...keep working.

Wanted to make a character that was in my head...turned out being a ring wraith rip off that's for sure.

Name:  cheap%20ringwraith%20rip%20off.jpg
Views: 17342
Size:  23.8 KB

Name:  scaly%20creature.jpg
Views: 17288
Size:  30.5 KB

Name:  sketchbook%20page%2019.jpg
Views: 17277
Size:  51.6 KB

Name:  sketchbook%20page%2020.jpg
Views: 17282
Size:  56.6 KB

Name:  sketchbook%20page%2021.jpg
Views: 17229
Size:  35.8 KB

Got a little frustrated hehe

Name:  Painting%2071%20self%20portrait.jpg
Views: 17523
Size:  64.3 KB

This was done amidst the frustration as well

Name:  Frustration.jpg
Views: 17211
Size:  23.5 KB

Last edited by emily g; June 19th, 2007 at 11:55 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It's really amazing to go through this thread, from start to finish, and be able to see your incredible progress throughout. Really great work, it's nice to see someone so dedicated to improving their skills - it's really inspiring

As a not particularly talented artist, it's really motivating to be able to see what a bit of hard work and determination can really do. I'll be sketching everyday once I've moved house, and I intend to create a similar thread, charting my progress over the coming months...

Do you have any tips for other beginners (despite try, try, and try again). Any good books/materials?

Once again, great work, it's amazing just to flick between your first few drawings, and your latest few, and see what a huge difference there is!

A public service announcement brought to you by GlobexCorp® - violating your freedoms on a daily basis™

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    January 3rd - 4th

Hey andru...thanks for stopping by my thread. I don't know much but I can offer some advice that has worked for me. Definitely set in your mind that for the rest of your life you will not stop this and don't stop it...the biggest part is keeping your commitment everyday. A huge thing for beginners to do is to draw from life. Put a cup down in the light...draw your self portrait...I have particularly noticed that drawing my self portrait has helped a lot...although it is really frustrating sometimes. I would say another thing that has helped me is going through some good books...I will read you some that I have. "Drawing on the right side of the brain"...Anatomy for the artist (by jeno barcsay). I really want to learn anatomy well so I am going through all of Andrew Loomis' books, Bridgemans life drawing series, and the book I just mentioned. One thing I do is copy (not using tracing paper hehe...looking at the page and drawing it from reference) a lot of the illustrations in the books that I read. I find good solid artists and then I see where they placed the values etc... by looking at their work and trying to duplicate it...but the most important thing is never copying shapes or anything like that...before you put down every stroke...think about why the stroke is being put there...when you draw from life...think about how the shadows are creating darker areas...thinking about it more up front will allow you freedom later on. Sorry I am rambling...I hope this helped.

This picture was done as practice...I was seeing how clouds were rendered...the places where the yellow areas are pointing are the places that I added...I used the eye dropper to see what colors they were using and then I chose the colors myself to actually create it.

Name:  cloud%20picture%20practice.jpg
Views: 17250
Size:  46.5 KB

Name:  painting%2073%20oil%20painting%20sp.jpg
Views: 17181
Size:  40.5 KB

seurat brush laid down...then the eraser to remove

Name:  seurat%20erase%20sp.jpg
Views: 17203
Size:  22.2 KB

tree sketch

Name:  tree%20sketch.jpg
Views: 17398
Size:  13.2 KB

Last edited by emily g; June 20th, 2007 at 12:50 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    More stuff from the weekend:

This next one is boring but has to be done...I did some other practice strokes...but not real exciting so I will just post this

I felt like I was going to stop doing self portraits altogether...I was getting so frustrated with the crap I was churning out. I saw Jon Foster's new pic...Jungle Jim and I was totally inspired...so I decided to keep going. This one (mistakes and all) is dedicated to Mr. Foster.

Last edited by MindCandyMan; February 13th, 2007 at 11:02 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Very nice work, again Especially the self portrait.
    I have noticed, however, that while your detail and accuracy on the faces of your portraits have grown dramatically, you still use the same - almost impressionistic approach - to painting the hair&beard. A little more detail in those areas would set it off perfectly
    Also perhaps a little more variation in tone, as it is slightly washed out by mid-greys.

Once again though, I'm stunned to see your progression from that first picture to this. Amazing work!

A public service announcement brought to you by GlobexCorp® - violating your freedoms on a daily basis™

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good call man...you are dead on. I should finish well...that's usually one of the last things I do heheh. You are right about it being washed out too...it look very washed out...I should have darkened the whole thing in painter with an image adjustment and then tweaked it some more.

I'm coming up on my 4 month anniversary...time to kick things up another notch and push even harder. I am starting my art classes next week...taking drawing I and figure drawing I...so hopefully that will help my skills improve even quicker...of course...I will still be drawing at home every day and on the train and at work (shhhh) heheh. Thanks for the encouragement and the very helpful crits. Peace,

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great work brother man!!!! The tree sketch is a huge improvement over your previous attempts at that subject matter. And the portrait is probably your best yet. Your work is becoming more refined and I echo the previous sentiments of dwelling on even more refinement. Working fast is always an asset and can produce great results (we've seen them on these boards), but there's nothing wrong with taking your time. I think you'll find that as you progress you will be more comfortable with not trying to get everything done at one sitting. There's a time and place for that, but a well thought out, well done piece will take quite a bit of time...for most.

Great job!!! Keep up the great work!!!!

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah I didn't expect to take so long on that...so when I started going down that route I kind of lopped it off hehe...I just have to work on so many other things right now like anatomy and just value in general...can't spend too much time on them I feel like...but you are right...I am realizing you have to spend a long time on them to get them to come out right...especially in the beginning. Thanks for the encouragement bro.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,199 Times in 254 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Hey get work you really are imrproving, A suggestion with the figure. When doing the figure you should figure out a way to block in the body with geometric forms, this will allow you to move the character in interesting poses. Right now you seem to be doing each section of the body slowly line by line. If you sketch the body with either just the skeleton or circles and rectangles you'll be able to do a better "jesture" of the form for you to add more detail with.

Think of when you start a painting, you start with adding a starting color, then you add blocks of shade and light to different sections of the form to add planes. Try doing the same thing with line art. Plane'ing out that form first. The better you become at art in the future the less of this you'll have to do because you can visualize it.

I hope you understand what i mean

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good call davi...I will definitely keep that in mind...yeah the figure is tough...I am starting to think about things in terms of shapes...it's a hard transition to reformat your thinking but I am trying...I think bridgeman will help me with that as well. I will say that I am having an even harder time utilizing that in pencil drawings...practice practice practice for me. I think I need to just do some geometric bodies...mapping out all the planes and such. Thanks bro that helps a lot.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    January 6th

These aren't exciting for others to look at...but I don't want to rush ahead I want to learn to utilize a pen the right way with lots of practice on strokes. If I can't control my lines then I have to right trying to make a finished drawing. I am going through Guptill's "Rendering in pen and ink"...this one...it's great and very thorough

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...285586-3301673

Last edited by MindCandyMan; February 13th, 2007 at 11:03 AM.

Sadclown Guest
    Ya know, this is the first time I've actually looked at this thread from beginning to end. You've made incredible progress man. You dedicationg really shows. I don't know that there's really anything to crit, as it seems your making your own progress, but you gave me a thorough and honest answer on my post so I'll do my best.

The only thing I can pick out is that faces seem to be your weakest point. Maybe take a day or two to just focus on the muscles/skeletal structure of that area. Like I said though, you're making wonderful progress, keep it up!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    good work get that anatomy down,,, then goto muslce structures

I am everywhere,
    &,
    I am Nowhere.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    January 7th

empty

Name:  Painting%2076%20empty%20head.jpg
Views: 17105
Size:  12.6 KB

Some of the townsfolk spread talk of winning over the favor of the rock golems...we knew better.
    - Perilin Drooksayer

Name:  rock%20golem.jpg
Views: 17116
Size:  70.3 KB

Name:  giant%20creature.jpg
Views: 17085
Size:  27.4 KB

Sadclown - You are absolutely right...faces are my weakest point absolutely...and they are probably the most important thing to get right...I need a skull to do some studies with. I may buy that with some leftover Christmas money. Yeah I should just focus on that area for a while...faces are so hard.

ODIN SIX - Thanks man...yeah I am going through a couple anatomy books right now and the one is really cool because it teaches you the structure of the bones then how to put the tendons on and then how to put the muscles on ...I think going through that will really help me...I have been drawing from that every day.

Thanks again for the encouragement guys...I actually have some posts that go further back than this thread but they are long gone...I am trying to work on getting a website to categorize my progress...thought that would be cool.

Last edited by emily g; June 20th, 2007 at 12:52 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    MindCandyMan - I hope that you don't feel artistically as empty as today's portrait. But if so - do something different for a day, like walking or making music or even just stupidly watching TV. I find that it helps to get that itchy feeling "I have to draw" again!

Jester

Imagination is intelligence having fun!

Jester's Sketchbook

Portfolio web site

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Jester,
    Thanks. I did that because a lot of my portraits have really been stinkin lately. I was just frustrated about that. Just takes time and and perseverence...I like to let my feelings go though when I am painting or drawing or whatever...some interesting stuff comes out of it when you do that I think. But yeah I am fine hehe...I'm not stopping now that's for sure.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Originally posted by MindCandyMan
    Hey Jester,
    Thanks. I did that because a lot of my portraits have really been stinkin lately. I was just frustrated about that. Just takes time and and perseverence...I like to let my feelings go though when I am painting or drawing or whatever...some interesting stuff comes out of it when you do that I think. But yeah I am fine hehe...I'm not stopping now that's for sure.
    Phewwww!

Jester

Imagination is intelligence having fun!

Jester's Sketchbook

Portfolio web site

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    January 8th

stuff from yesterday

This is what I see on the train every morning...on the ride to work...sketched it out real quick...in the morning the train ride is really quick...liek 15-20 minutes total...so I have to bust it out quickly.

Name:  painting%2081%20speed%20sp.jpg
Views: 17047
Size:  15.9 KB

Name:  paintin%2080%20dry%20ink.jpg
Views: 17056
Size:  56.1 KB

Last edited by emily g; June 20th, 2007 at 12:53 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Those s.p are looking a lot better. And good job on that train sketch! I like the fact that it was done very fast! And out of everything new that u posted. I really like the muscle and bone study you did. I think that doing more of these will help. btw, have u taken a figure drawing class yet? i think i heard u say u were taking one when u start school. Have u started school yet?

-http://iwasink.com/-
    DS Illustration
    "Get reference.
    There is nothing wrong with using a photo to help you see things.
    No one complains about life drawing,
    so take a photo.
    its easy, and will improve your piece greatly."

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey mcm! I'm amazed by your progress - i got cought up in school around here:
    Journey of an Absolute Rookie: Paintings and Sketches
    and now I see this:
    Journey of an Absolute Rookie: Paintings and Sketches
    You should be REALLY proud of yourself - you are making phenomenal progress! I wish I had your dedication.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    January 9th

Hey Adam,
    Thanks for the encouragement man. I'm glad you got caught up in school. Wow I forgot I even posted such crap hahah...It's funny until you really look back it's hard to tell your progress...cause I looked at this newest sp and thought...that is total crap...which it is...but it's not half as crappy as the stuff I did a while ago I guess hehehe. Thanks again man I have been feeling pretty down about my stuff lately...I am still pushing but it's been hard. Thanks again.

Name:  painting%2082%20eye%20study.jpg
Views: 17026
Size:  10.8 KB

Name:  spider%20scout.jpg
Views: 16998
Size:  41.6 KB

Last edited by emily g; June 20th, 2007 at 12:54 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Brilliant

Hey there mindy!

I've now looked through all yer pictures (1.5 hours) and i must say its truly inspiring viewing this as a person trying to get aquinted with the pen&pad !

You're really advancing fast and it is TRULY inspiring. I like most of your pictures, especially the smoothly shaded trees, the rock golem and the face below it, excellent!

I, like you (used to be? ), am a rookie and I've been doodling from time to time with the mighty pen but never succeded to get as motivated as i ever wanted. But NOW after seeing yer dedication i REALLY felt inspired i decided to do something similiar to your task with the exception that i challenged my roomate to do the same, making sure that i draw everyday, even when the rainy days arrive when you´re in that "Its gonna take me years, even then, I might be right where i started" - mood.

Inspiration is everywhere, motivation is not. You just motivated me comrade, I thank you for that and move on to my pen and pad.

I'll keep drooping in for sure so you just keep trainin em eyes mate.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Sam0s...sometimes I feel like I have such rudimentary skills that i can't really add anything to the art pool but I am really glad that I can inspire some people to be motivated. I want to give back all that is given to me. I get help from so many pros that don't have the time that's for sure...like Manley, Foster, Mcnallyism, Sparth, Andrew, mcotie...among ten thousand others...they all take time out to give us tips and all...so I'm glad that I can give back. One word of advice if you set your mind to do it now...don't look back. Do whatever it takes to achieve your goal aside from anything illegal or just plain bad hehe. Make a decision and stick with it...don't let the way you feel control you. If you don't feel like drawing then do a double helping that night...Even when I am not drawing and I am looking at shadows and observing nature around me and stuff like that. Make it a part of your life and don't give yourself an option to quit. I would love to see your stuff once you start posting it and all (if you haven't posted already).

Thanks again for the encouragement...it really helps keep me going knowing that at least I am helping other people as well. Thanks again bud.
    jon

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow, you sure did push yourself..I just skimmed through this whole thread..and Im totally just jazzed that you came so far...I've been having problems with my coloring techniques because I was so attached to burn and dodge and didn't know it was bad until fellow artists told me...I was totally crushed because I felt like I had cheated the canvas without really knowing...So I'm on a similar mission but instead of drawing and getting propotion down.. I have to get face to face with some raw color theory and painter....You've really inspired me to push myself and better myself as an artist and person.

Thank you very much.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Lil QoH...you're welcome!!! :eek: Wow I'm really glad I could help inspire you to tackle color theory...yeesh...it's so difficult isn't it?...rough stuff.

I will offer some advice I have given to others that I think has helped me thus far...decide and don't look back...

Make a decision and then stick with it...don't turn back. If you want to learn color, and I can tell you do, then make the decision today to learn it and don't do anything else until you learn it extremely well. I will be looking forward to your updates man! Stay strong! Thanks again for checking out my thread...I won't be leaving so come back anytime. Take care bud. Thanks for the encouragement.

jon

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i like how u've improved over the last few post mindy( i like calling u that) thanks for the pics, by the way. Just like Sam0s said, u also inspire me to make my daily sketchbook, in the sketches and doodles section. Maybe i can inspire others, but mainly i do it for the feedback i can get on my stuff! for example, i got contacted by a guy that just graduated from art center, because of my posts. I now talk with him on aim all the time about art center and stuff. Thanks for the inspiration mindy:p

Oh.... I can't forget my man jester either! I was just expecting you to say something on my thread . Just give it a looksy, when u can!

-http://iwasink.com/-
    DS Illustration
    "Get reference.
    There is nothing wrong with using a photo to help you see things.
    No one complains about life drawing,
    so take a photo.
    its easy, and will improve your piece greatly."

Page 6 of 72 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 56 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 535