Sketchbook: Journey of an Absolute Rookie: Paintings and Sketches - Page 59

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop
Page 59 of 72 FirstFirst ... 9 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 ... LastLast
Results 1,741 to 1,770 of 2147
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    MorteM - This thread is such a monster...I don't know how anyone can read through it. I hardly look back at the initial pages. Yuck...so bad hehehe.

Chermilla - Haha...well I'm certainly not rich that's for sure. My wife can attest to that. It's in Whitewright, TX (no one's ever heard of that place) so it's much much cheaper than renting in dallas. The rent I pay for this studio is half the rent I would pay for a 750 sq foot studio in dallas. From the heart of dallas it's about 1 hour and 10 minutes. So that's why it's cheaper to rent. Dallas can keep its traffic and noise...give me the quiet calm country.

Bojee - Thanks man. I'm really excited to actually be able to work in proper natural light! I'm also really excited to be able to give my students the proper studio to study in. I didn't have this kind of light and studio space when I was studying and it would have been much better. So I wanted to find something that suited my needs and also helped my students. Things are definitely going well...I'm having a blast.

ashrumm - Thanks! I'm really excited to be doing what I'm doing.

Ok so I told you guys that I would update you with the palette I just finished. Nate (Blackhawk) gave me some tips about what wood to use...how to sand it down, etc... So we both came up with some designs and I just finished putting the last layer of tung oil on my palette. I actually used it last night for the first time and I loved it. I wanted to make a cool design but it ended up being really utilitarian as well. The added space by the thumb hole allows me to hold a lot of brushes and my mahl stick really easily. Anyway here's the palette...it was really fun to make it. I think I am going to have all my students make their own palettes...it's kind of like a samurai making his sword heheh. It's really easy as well...much easier than you would think.

Name:  newpalette.jpg
Views: 12950
Size:  64.0 KB

Here is a picture of Nate working on his new cast. He is doing superbly well already. He will be painting before he knows it.

Name:  nateworkingoncastsmall.jpg
Views: 12913
Size:  77.6 KB

Good old lefties!

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,345 Times in 1,123 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by MindCandyMan View Post
    I think I am going to have all my students make their own palettes...it's kind of like a samurai making his sword heheh.
    That, along with the palette itself, is so fucking cool If anyone can get me excited about traditional, it's you

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'd love to see your palette in action. Way cool!

Jester

Imagination is intelligence having fun!

Jester's Sketchbook

Portfolio web site

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This is a truly amazing thread, just seeing how you've progressed from your first posts to your latest stuff. As someone who's currently struggling with painting, it's a nice reminder that hard work pays off.

The studio and palette look sweet. Looks like an awesome environment to be creative in.

P.S. If you have any tips for an aspiring oil painter, I would love to hear them...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Rhineville - That's awesome. I'm glad I'm at least representing traditional painting well hehe. The funny thing is that I know a lot of people painting traditionally who HATE what they do. It's mainly because they don't have any individuality...instead of painting the way they think would be fun. They paint exactly how they were taught. I have been painting more loosely because, frankly, it's just more fun. When I was training I had a hard time getting myself to work hard. Now I love every day...my teachers probably don't like my work now though heheeh. I can imagine them calling it sketchy.

jester - It's really fun to use it. It weighs a lot less than my other palette which is really good. After 8 hours of painting it can really wear your arm out that's for sure. Maybe I should post a tutorial of how to make your own palette. Might be fun.

voxelfrog - Thanks! The studio is awesome...I love it. Especially now that students will be joining me. When I have to teach I am constantly reminded of the basics which is really good for me. Painting is definitely a struggle at first. No doubt about that. I guess the advice that I would offer is that in order to oil paint well you have to have a full grasp of everything. You need to know how values, edges, color, etc...relate properly. If your drawing ability (by drawing I mean seeing angles...value relationships...edges) is lacking it will most definitely come out while you are painting. Painting well is all about control and patience. You should be looking and figuring out things WAY more than you are actually painting. Feel free to send me some of your work and I can help however I can.

Well I submitted information to Art Renewal Center to become an ARC approved atelier. We'll see if that goes through. I can't see why they would reject it but you never know hehe. I really enjoy teaching so I'm really happy the new studio can accomodate that.

Another piece of news as well. I received a full scholarship again this year from the Scottsdale Artist School. The contributors were the Wright Foundation for the Arts. http://www.wrightfoundation.org/ They put your profile on their website and they monitor your career and everything. I am going to be taking Clayton Beck Jr. III's painting workshop. He does a lot of alla prima figure studies. I can't wait to pick his brain. He studied with a bunch of individuals...Schmid being one of them.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    your stuff is so great, the oil paintings are wicked, they really make we want to get up and learn more... damn, keep posting! the palette is great to!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The studio looks wonderful! Best of luck to you!
    Also made myself a palette and had some layers of shellac on it, really nice surface, especially after a few uses when you build up a bit of left over paint/oil.

Thanks for being inspiration #1 to me, will be starting at an atelier in January myself

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That guy doing the cast drawing sucks. You should kick him out and let me study with you.

Aardvarkphil is offline Stepping into the darkness and finding the next step isn't there
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just finished going right through your sketchbook. WOW. This is going to be a constant source of inspiration to me in my efforts to improve. I'm so pleased you've got so far so quickly. I hope the studio is going well. Maybe someday when I'm good enough I will come study with you. Wishing you all the best for the future Phil.

Bargue is my friend

Twitter and Facebook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Jon,

I can't believe the progress you have made, it is absolutely outstanding. I remember when i first joined these forums in 2002, i posted as (warhead82) I remember watching your progress right from the beginning. Then, checking back a couple years later and seeing you kept with it and just blew everyone away, and now, now i check back again, even later. You go from beginner to pro, and now you have the craziest studio ever, and you are even teaching, and have wrote your own book!! Man, i just have to say congrats on everything. You have gone a long way man and you are still going further. I am so happy to see someone pushing themselves so hard like you do.

Props man. Props.

~JB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice updates, and I'm loving your new studio! Hopefully I'll be able to go through there some day, since everything looks professional and awesome? I'd love to know if you have thought more deeply about those online courses for international students... i still it's kinda difficult to make it work. but anyway's, nothing is impossible (you, more than anyone I've every heard is a living testament to that remark). Hope everything goes well with Art Renewal as well!

"Nihil est in intellectu quod non prius in sensu" | SB | Portfolio | FJGC (blog) | DA (Profile) | EJERCICIOS DE COLOR

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    very fine work and u got really comfortable environment too for work.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat? You're teaching now? Man what's in another 5 years? World domination?

cheers man!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Rookie you say, hmmmm. Then what the hell must i say, nevermind

Great paintings you got there, truly inspiring

my blog
    my thread

Follow me @atomoso

Thanks
    Thanked 1,004 Times in 654 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Most insightful SB I've seen yet.
    I can't believe the amount of improvement in just four years!
    Your oil paintings are beautiful. In comparison, I wouldn't have believed that the beginner works were yours, had you not post them yourself.

This is also kind cool, that there a whole spectrum of a gradient of increasing skill here. If I compare my own works... I must be at about page 20 or so on the MindCandyMan scale. Still a long way to go!

Nothing but amazing effort and work here. Much respect to you, Sir.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My favorite part about Fine artists is the lack of NDA!!!!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by MindCandyMan View Post

Got a little frustrated hehe

Attachment 92339
    HAHA...this made me chortle-after having seen your latest work.

man, you do for traditional media, what jesus did for christianity.

Any fool can know. The point is to understand.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    why i didn't see this thread before baffles me. anyway, your work does too, as does the insane amount of progress you've made over the years. whenever i feel like giving up on my endeavor, i will visit this thread to remember that it is possible! thanks.

Boston Splinter Cell 36
    Jushra | Purb36 | PartialArtist | Vorp | Kongni

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Gah! I finally made it through your SB! And what a fantastic journey it was... you've made more progress in five years than I've made in my life, man. Since 2002, you've gone from feeble attempts to mastery.

Seriously, I get frustrated and feel like I'm not improving, and I think of your SB -- your perseverance, dedication. It helps!

*Salutes* Honored to be one of your forum-padawans, sir.

Cheers

Look, see! Nifty art! http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=99803

Hey! Check out my blog here

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wow, thanks for the inspiration, and i'm off to make me a pallete, kickass!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    what a journey looking trough your sketchbook..
    truly inspiring, thanks!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Gorromog - Thanks so much! I'm glad my stuff makes you want to get up and learn more. If I can help inspire someone to keep drawing and painting then I have accomplished something. That palette was really fun and has been getting a lot of use that's for sure.

gorgnut - That's so great that you will be starting at an atelier! That's awesome. Which atelier will you be going to? Also that's awesome you made your own palette. Nate (blackhawk) has his palette sanded and everything and is going to put a shellac finish on it as well. Just don't use denatured alcohol on it I hear though hehe.

Blackhawk - It's not really that he sucks...it's that he's not committed. He spends too much time posting stuff on conceptart.org ...instead of working at the studio. But all in all...he's doing well hehe

Aardvarkphil - I'm really glad this thread could help inspire you but I have to say...don't wait until you are good enough to study! If you are interested in studying with me I will take you from the ground up...in fact it's easier that way since you haven't built up bad habits. But don't let your lack of ability deter you from seeking training. Every one of my students started with no training at all. If you want to come study with me just contact me and we can start talking about it. But certainly don't wait until you are really good...then you won't need me anymore heheh.

JustinBeckett - Thanks so much for the kind words man. It has been quite a journey that's for sure. It's been fun every step of the way though...except in the very early stages when I could do nothing...that just sucked hehe. From the beginning I have just been trying to take steps forward and maintain my momentum. Sometimes it has been easier than others. But I just thank you for encouraging me and supporting the whole way. Thanks man!

GriNGoLoCo - Thanks for your encouraging comments. I have often thought about the online lessons. It would definitely be difficult. Instead of doing that I probably would just write a book that outlined how to proceed with self study. It would outline everything that I teach in my training. It would be an overwhelming task but I think it would really help the artistic community as a whole. I am always making mental notes when teaching about what is effective and what is not.

Mohd.N - Thanks! The studio is definitely very comfortable. It has truly been a blessing to work in the studio and the light has been fantastic!

Idiot Apathy - Haha...world domination would be awesome except that I would have to get into politics. If I ever become a politician...please shoot me.

atmos - Thanks man! Sometimes I do feel like a rookie...there's so much to learn that's for sure.

HunterKiller_ - Oh man those early things I did. Wow...yeah...embarrassing to say the least. But I had enthusiasm though hehe...and I wasn't aware of how truly bad they were...which helped keep me going heheh. I'm just really glad this thread can still help people.

Justin Oaksford - You mean non disclosure agreements right? Hmmm maybe I should have you all sign them!

life on the sofa - Oh man when I looked back at that digital painting it brought back a bunch of memories. I remember doing that one! I almost threw my wacom across the room. I still feel like painting is hard except I don't write it across my paintings anymore heheheh

jushra - Glad I could help inspire man. If you ever feel bad about yourself as an artist just visit my early pages heheheheh...instant self esteem.

AmontilladoAg - You can definitely be one of my padawans but you have to grow that long girly braid in your hair. hehe. Seriously though I'm glad this thread could help keep you going. Learning to draw and paint is so hard already that feeling discouraged makes it even worse. And you are too kind...my original attempt weren't feeble...they were dismal hehehe

ciots - Awesome! If you wanted any advice on what woods to use or what tools you need just lemme know. We did ours without any power tools so maybe you are lucky enough to have some hehe.

chrishly - Thanks! Thanks for taking the time to stop by and post a comment

Ok I finished five still life paintings in the last couple weeks and once they are varnished and framed I will post up pictures of them. I varnished this self portrait I did a while ago too. It was sitting in the drying area of my studio for a long time. I cropped the canvas down and varnished it. It had been a while since I looked at it. Of course I see all the problems with it now. Thought you guys might be interested. I will post up more stuff soon. I am also working on a big series of paintings that I don't want to talk about yet until they are done. If I can get them to look right they are going to be really cool...but we'll see. At any rate here's the self portrait problems and all. It's a really bad picture too...bah...enough excuses:

Name:  selfportraitsmall.jpg
Views: 37346
Size:  81.4 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Jon, I am so excited to see all the stuff you are doing! Congratulations on getting that great studio space for you and your students. I'm looking forward to see what work you will be posting in the future.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    emily - Thanks so much! I will be watching for you on the art scene as well. Your work is looking stellar!!!! You are a force to be reckoned with no doubt about it. Bill is a fantastic teacher but it also takes a dedicated student to produce what you have produced. We definitely have to stay in touch.

Here's two of the five new still life paintings that I completed recently. I am waiting to varnish the others. I am in discussion with another gallery in California right now so these paintings are going to be sent to them for evaluation. We'll see what they say.

Name:  delphiniums_websize.jpg
Views: 23824
Size:  69.0 KB
    Name:  AfternoonLight_websize.jpg
Views: 24259
Size:  100.8 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    again, beautiful oil paintings, those brush strokes is amazing. good luck for the evaluation to the gallery in California ^^ a big successful journey until here i think, at least looking this book from the very first.

Grab your pencil, grab your dream!
    My Sketchbook - Blog - Fineart Blog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I love your work. Those blue petals against the dark background catch the light like little gemstones. Beautiful stuff, one could look at these all day.

Gilead Artist on Facebook and Twitter
    website

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Those still lifes look fantastic.
    You've got quite the eye for color and value.
    I like how in the second still life you used really loose brush strokes on the surface the flowers are resting on, but it still looks like a physical surface instead of just random brushstrokes. You did the shadows just right to make the flowers rest on the surface.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The still lifes are rocking!
    About the atelier; I'll be going to florence art academy, they opened up a studio in Sweden, Gothenburg under Joakim Ericsson's lead. Working my butt off to afford it

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That's one hellofa journey!
    Great work, really great.
    Love your still lifes.

(I've just recently started my own journey, check my sig if you're feeling for it).

Sketchbook. Treat Me Like A Moron
    I'm a dick, sometimes two. Hence my name.
    Edgar Allan Poe

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    First off, a truly awesome and inspirational thread! Believe it or not, I've managed to read it from start to finish over a period of a few months.

Although I've painted off and on for several years, last July I put the brush aside to focus on my drawing skills. I've doubted from time to time if I did the right thing, but your thread has really inspired me to keep going on the academic path. Right now I'm working on my first cast drawing, and so far so good.

However, I much prefer the style of Sargent & Zorn to a more academic polish, and it seems your favor a looser finish as well. So I'm wondering how you have gone about training/transitioning to a direct painting method? When it comes to academic drawing/painting, there is a ton of info out there, but info regarding direct painting methods has been much harder to find.

Keep posting, and good luck with the new studio space!

Page 59 of 72 FirstFirst ... 9 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 491