Sketchbook: Journey of an Absolute Rookie: Paintings and Sketches - Page 56
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 56 of 72 FirstFirst ... 6 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 ... LastLast
Results 1,651 to 1,680 of 2143

Thread: Journey of an Absolute Rookie: Paintings and Sketches

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This is one of the most moving things on CA.org. I think that your personal journey ranks right up there with Andrew Jones's 1000 self portraits. Not to compare you two as artists, simply just to say that you two have in your individual ways made an incredible testament of art.

Cheers man.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    you give us hope. Thank you

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I hate to sound like a broken record, but I'm sure you're not sick of hearing it: You're so inspiring! I gave up on art about 3 years ago and am just now trying to get back into it again. I get frustrated with my own imperfections too easily, but this makes me want to try harder than ever. I suppose it's never too late to try!

Thanks so much for sharing everything.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    imagination, pffft. somehow you've captured exactly how i look and feel right now after work

cheers bro update us, eh?

j

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey - I was routed here from some fella's at CGTalk.com. This has to be just about the best, most inspiring thread I've seen. Really inspiring stuff, man. Nice job.

Peace,

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The improvement across this sketchbook is simply inspirational MCM. I can't stress it enough: simply impressive.

Sepulverture's Sketchbook Page 1 Page 19
    Sepulvertures Extended Studies Page 1
    page 2

Tutorials Tips and Tricks needs you to stay alive!"

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    man your progression has been amazing I hope mine will be too!!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    lukavi - Thanks! Glad I'm still inspiring some on here hehe.

ArtZealot - Thanks. I'm done that skull one...check it out below.

rblitz7 - haha thanks

vctr - Hey man...yeah Mike is gone now . He will be a fantastic artist. He has really interesting ideas and he brings the best out of people around him. Check out the skull.

Oregano - Thanks man...I'm doing more portrait stuff now as well...it's a lot harder hehe.

blanquish - Thanks so much for the kind words. I'm really glad this thread is still helping others. I've been helped so much it's ridiculous...so if I can give back even a little it makes me happy.

Lukias - Hey bro how did your show go? Actually I'm gonna go check your website and see if I can find out myself. Would love to hear how everything went.

lloorrdd - Thanks!

Seedling - Thanks...still trying to keep up that dedication hehe

CamSyko - Thanks...man 4 hours to go through this...sheesh sorry about that hehe. Glad you are interested in a book. I'm working on ideas for it as we speak.

Fishspawn - Thanks! Give me ten more years and then I will be doing work I like. Hopefully I can keep this thread alive till then.

OldNoobie - Thanks man...glad this thread can help.

TomteOfDoom - Thanks for the kind words. I have to admit that I have been seduced by the fine art side. I am doing that exclusively now. My heart lies more with fine art right now than anything else so I am going to be pursuing that. However, I always frequent conceptart.org because honestly I think illustrators/concept artists are leading the way in terms of color usage, composition, etc... So I will come back here to get some inspiration that way and then put that into my fine art. My journey has been redirected from conceptart for now but I still owe conceptart.org for everything I've learned.

Bojee - Hey bro...sorry it's been so long since an update...hopefully this update will help heheh.

draw - Hmm...that's a tough one. As far as setting up a still life david leffel has some really good tips in his books. He talks about having a "concept" before you do a painting and everything. As far as straight up atelier instruction I've never seen a book layout all the steps of everything. Richard Schmid's book "Alla Prima: Everything I know about painting" is the best painting instructional book ever written as far as I'm concerned.

http://www.richardschmid.com

As far as colors for my palette. I use pretty much these same colors on every painting (I might leave some out if I don't need them). Ivory Black, Ultra blue, Viridian, Raw Umber, Transparent Oxide Brown, Transparent Oxide Red, Terra Rosa, Alizarin Crimson Permanent, Vermillion, Permanent Red Medium, Yellow Ochre light, Cadmium Yellow light...hope that helps. Maybe start with schmid's palette and then branch out to your own...that's what I did.

neonnik - Thanks!

patdzon - Hey man...thanks for the kind words. Nah I haven't used sight size since I left the atelier...I have no need for it anymore. It helped me learn faster in the beginning but now it don't use it. Really it would be annoying to have everything setup in sight size.

Bard - Glad I could help. Definitely keep going if you have the desire. Don't worry about talent...at this point just keep working hard. Reread schmid's book over and over as you gain more knowledge. You will glean more from it when you know more. Knowing what I know now...I would have paid 3,000 dollars for that book. I'm not kidding...it's that valuable. I really like Maroger too...but I actually use something different now heheh. I use maroger when I am definitely doing something in one sitting 3-6 hours. For longer paintings I use ralph mayer's medium forumula....I use 5 parts gamsol, 1 part gamvar varnish, 1 part gamblin stand oil. That medium works fantastically for my style. Great stuff.

nightfall - Thanks man...I'm surprised people still follow this thread. At the beginning there were stretches of weeks where no one replied but the thread gave me a goal and some accountability (I used to say "I gotta post something"). It's true what you say...if you put your mind to something you can go far...it's amazing. I certainly haven't arrived but I can definitely see some progression in my work which is a really strange feeling.

Trashy - Thanks! Your encouragement means the same to me...keeps me going!

Thaelys - Thanks man! Actually Andrew is the one that inspired me so it's cool you would draw that parallel. The day I started drawing I actually said to myself, "If this Andrew guy can do this so can I...I can do something every day"...so then it started heheh.

BohemianChaos - It means a lot to hear that. I met a couple artists recently who said, "You shouldn't be teaching people...there are way too many artists...we need more patrons". Needless to say I disagreed 100%. The reason I post on here is to inspire other artists who can end up contributing to the big art pool. We all feed off of each other.

Sara Lynn - Women, as artists, tend to be a lot harder on themselves. In my limited experience I have noticed that. Women want their drawings to be perfect or they aren't happy. The trick is knowing it will never be perfect...and even if you did get it perfect...you couldn't do it again . Don't let your imperfections be a hindrance. The imperfections or "mistakes" in a painting can sometimes be just as interesting as the perfectly rendered areas. Above all just keep pushing...if I can do it anyone can do it. It's absolutely...completely...totally...never late to try.

guggenmaneuver - hahah...my insides still twinge when I think about my old office job...perhaps that's what keeps me motivated hehe. I don't want to go back to that.

MagnumCort - Hey someone routed from cgtalk huh? That's really cool. I didn't know they were watching me hehe. I'm glad that the thread could offer some inspiration. Thanks for stoppin by.

That fat kid - Ahhh fat kid. I'm still amused by your name...I chuckle every time I see it heheh. People really sign up to do that? That's awesome. I'm really glad I can give back even a part of what was given to me.

Sepulverture - Thanks so much I really appreciate it!

3dsketch - Yours will be too...whatever you do don't stop...that's the big thing. When you feel like stopping double your efforts.

***If I forgot anyone I'm really sorry...just lemme know and I will respond***

Hey guys...yeah so it's been a long long time. Things I've done since last time I updated....hmm.

-I went to Africa at the beginning of this year and worked with some aids orphans through a program called adopt a legacy. It was amazing. I want to go back and stay with some of the maasai tribe in Kenya and paint some portraits of them. I maybe will record the experience for a book or dvd or something. They are a beautiful people and have a regal nature that would suit portraits so well...their clothes are amazing as well. Kenya is so full of color everywhere you look.

-Ok also I was in the top 100 for this years Artrenewal.org salon contest. They said 1,600 people entered and I was a finalist for that contest so that was cool.

-I also won a full scholarship to the scottsdale artist school for william whitaker's professional artist workshop that's coming in April.

-I've been selling a bunch of paintings and teaching atelier style out of my studio...and also teaching private lessons to a bunch of people around dallas.

-I am in the process of publishing a 25 page book that showcases some paintings/drawings from the atelier days and also from 2006. A lot of people (who can't afford to buy originals) have been asking me to do something like that so that should be done by the end of this week. I'll let you guys know for anyone who is interested...it will probably be 20 bucks and I'll be signing each one and everything. I am going to release one each year showcasing some paintings and drawings from the previous year.

-I am also formulating a plan for the "Journey of an Artist" book. I am going to self publish it like I am doing with the book I mentioned above. I need to come up with a format for it so if you guys have any ideas I would be open to them.

-I am also taking a lot of steps to self promote in Dallas. I am working with some individuals and galleries that are showing my work. One woman I am working with has a sort of "mobile gallery". She provides paintings and art for fancy occasions like the opening of a country club and stuff like that. Places where people can buy my art. I have to dress up and everything...it's weird considering I wear hooded sweatshirts every day practically hehehh. People have been receptive so far in Dallas.

Here are some of the new paintings...I'll post more when I can...I don't know what you've seen and what you haven't...this is some of the stuff since I've been gone hehe

This is the finished version of the one above.

Name:  studio_dresser_large.jpg
Views: 12079
Size:  57.5 KB

This painting was inspired by Mr. Hussar...I did it on Halloween. My wife had this spare black makeup so I put it around my eyes for a joke and had to do a self portrait real quick. Was thinkin about Hussar when I did it.

Name:  halloweenspbig.jpg
Views: 10887
Size:  93.4 KB

Quick study of a model...I am trying to do a bunch of these types of things

Name:  Julie.jpg
Views: 10837
Size:  68.9 KB

For better or worse I do these drawings in one sitting and sometimes two. So between 2 - 4 hours. I try to limit myself to that time period to get the likeness...it's really hard but it teaches you patience and marksmanship hehe. It's really difficult...Sargent made it look easy.

Name:  juliepic.jpg
Views: 10893
Size:  96.4 KB

This was done for a live 3 hour portrait demo. I used my wife as a model. The paper came by and got interested. It was the weekend before halloween.

Front Page | 2nd page

Name:  marieportraitdemobig.jpg
Views: 10907
Size:  96.6 KB

Another painting...

Name:  petals_large.jpg
Views: 10827
Size:  73.4 KB

3 hour self portrait study I did a while ago

Name:  self_portraitlarge.jpg
Views: 11674
Size:  65.5 KB

Garlic...and those are shallots...Shallots are kind of a cross between garlic and onions. Used primarily in Asian cooking however Americans have started incorporating into their recipes......I'm pretty tired sorry hehehe

Name:  shallots_and_garliclarge_goodpic.jpg
Views: 10744
Size:  51.5 KB

Portrait of someone who WOULD NOT STOP MOVING. I got down to the arms and she was moving so much I just stopped. She is awesome though...we all love her at the studio...her back was just killing her hehe

Name:  amy_painting.jpg
Views: 10737
Size:  83.9 KB

Last edited by emily g; June 23rd, 2007 at 02:10 AM.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to MindCandyMan For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wonderful update sir!
    The book your releasing sounds a treat.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I agree, wonderful update makes me want to do more oils

Sketchbook :: Blog

Trying is the first step towards failure.

Homer Simpson, The Simpsons

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Massive

The improvement has been incredible <> like the Hussar piece <> like the looser works the most <> also like that you limit your time frame on some of the portrait studies.

Are you still doing the Norwood Flynn show....?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    http://www.mindcandyman.com/jons_upl...aitdemobig.jpg - this is beautiful, very expressive!

And the hussar inspired one is super, ehehe!

Awesome to watch your work!

Cheers!

SKETCHBOOK

Sinister Six Sketch Group
    Since 2003, sorta.
    Cookiedough Fooxoo Hyver Wolfje character

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh my god.

I read the whole thread. I didn't know it was possible for one person to improve so much.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,219 Times in 624 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Hey again MCM

Great stuff , I really like your paintings, but what i really like to see is something pulled of from imagination , I mean a painting, that you spend a lot of time on, That would be awesome I know its a lot to ask, but its just a suggestion

~Dile

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    the improvement its incredible i like your oils so much ^^ this SB represents to so much to me .. thx man! just thx

Grab your pencil, grab your dream!
    My Sketchbook - Blog - Fineart Blog

vigostar is offline Registered User Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wow, great wok as usual.. Much lcuk on the future exhibits and gallery showings..

Mainloop- man i must be dyslexic.. cuz i thought you asked how many people are on lsd

SketchBook
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=237554

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    all your stuff are just studies and portraits, have you ever tried composing something together for a bigger conceptual painting?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    j a k e - Thanks! We'll see how the book turns out hehe...never done anything like that before.

OldNoobie - Thanks! Definitely do more oils and post them for us to see!

mentler - Hi! Hey I was actually going to try to get ahold of you. I saw your stuff at Norwood flynn and I really liked it. It was so interesting to explore the forms because I could recognize them as figure studies but at the same time they looked abstract. I was mesmerized looking at them (in a good way of course). Thanks for the encouragement about the looser ones...I am definitely definitely moving that direction. That's why I prefer doing portrait/figure studies because they force you to work in that quick and precise manner. I like doing still life paintings but I like the other work better. But now I am starting to treat my still lifes in a similar way and they have become more fun so that's good. Thanks again for the encouragement.

fooxoo - Thanks so much. That painting of my wife was really fun to do. I am going to definitely be heading in that direction from now on...more loose and gestural. Boldini is a huge inspiration for me...as well as sargent...and this painting by boldini is so amazing.

http://jssgallery.org/Other_Artists/..._Greyhound.htm

That particular painting has changed my thinking so much.

Longxiang - haha...thanks! I definitely feel like I have along way to go though.

Dile_ - Thanks...actually I'm composing ideas for an Alice in Wonderland series. But it won't be cartoony and all...I want it to be actual people in the actual settings and stuff. For instance the mad hatter will have an interesting outfit and all but he will be an actual person...not someone with a huge head, etc... I'm already thinking about some of the ideas. I will have to borrow or make a lot of the things in the paintings...as well as paint on location in some strange places but we'll see how it works out.

Call0ps - Thanks so much for the kind words. I'm glad this sketchbook has helped out.

vigostar - Thanks! We'll see how things turn out for me this year hehe.

kinnas - I'm definitely headed full force towards fine art but I am planning on doing an alice in wonderland series...lemme copy and paste the text from above where someone else had the same question:

"actually I'm composing ideas for an Alice in Wonderland series. But it won't be cartoony and all...I want it to be actual people in the actual settings and stuff. For instance the mad hatter will have an interesting outfit and all but he will be an actual person...not someone with a huge head, etc... I'm already thinking about some of the ideas. I will have to borrow or make a lot of the things in the paintings...as well as paint on location in some strange places but we'll see how it works out."

Here is the draft of what the cover will look like on the book I am getting printed now. I'm not totally decided on it...and any input would be great good or bad. The spine will be in the center as you can imagine so it will wrap around the back. It's mainly going to be for self promotion but I will also probably sell the book through my website:

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by MindCandyMan; February 15th, 2007 at 10:34 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    congrats for the book ^^the cover looks great, i really like her face. the blue background and the clothing it combines really well.

Grab your pencil, grab your dream!
    My Sketchbook - Blog - Fineart Blog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey man, just popping in to say that you where a huge inspiration to me when I started drawing just last year, and you still are, I read your thread pretty much everyday from page to page and it definently gave me the motivation to keep on pushing myself to draw more and keep going... I can easily say that if it wasnt for you and this thread I probobly wouldnt be drawing today, so cheers for that!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    journeys of an absolute rookie? Looks good to me my friend. Looks real pro

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Jon, looking good bro, I like the layout on the book, if you sell them how much do you think you'd ask??

"absorb what is useful, discard what is useless, and keep what is essentially your own." - Bruce Lee

Bojee's Monkey Brain
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...=29869&page=54

Envisor is offline 21 year old artist workin' to improve! Level 10 Gladiator: Equites
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wow man. Lots of improvement here. Your figure studies are grand. Would love to see more of your pencils. Keep posting.

"Imagination is more important than knowledge"- Albert Einstein

Eric wants to LEARN! Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Call0ps - Awesome I'm glad it reads well. I am ordering a proof to see what it looks like...that will be the determining factor hehe.

archipelago - I'm really glad to hear that you started a year ago and you are still going! That's awesome. Keep it up no matter what. You will get mad...frustrated...sad...doubtful...everything. Just keep drawing and painting. It's amazing for me to think that I am helping in the same way others on here helped me at the beginning...it's a little strange for me but really cool.

digi - Hah...thanks man. Well you would know what a pro looked like...your work is awesome man. I went to your website and I think I am going to get one of your books. They are so cool!

Bojee - Hey man I'm glad you like the look of the book. I'm undecided on the final format. Right now it's a pretty small format but I might redo the format for a larger book. I'm not sure yet. But probably from 14.95-20 bucks...somewhere in there. If I do a large printing I will definitely give some away for free on conceptart though. I will probably do a small contest for all who care. Maybe I'll have a still life... or poetry contest or something hehe.

Envisor - It's funny you mention that...I was just saying to a friend that we needed to sketch more together. At the very least I should be doing more charcoals. I'll try to get some pencil and charcoal action going and post it up. Thanks for stoppin by.

Finished this one just before the sun went down today. I'm working on about 4 different paintings right now so this one is done and it's a relief hehe. I forget the exact measurements though but it's pretty big...like 24 x 36 or something like that I don't know.

I'm probably gonna take another pic cause this one jacks it up a bit and makes a lot of things look really weird...but you get the idea.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by MindCandyMan; February 15th, 2007 at 10:35 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Man the latest painting is ridiculous, wow you have a great handle of the medium! looks amazing good work wow i've never seen this thread before keep up the good work!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Haven't stopped by here in so long.. glad I did.. Keep it goin, Jon!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the advice MCM, loving all your latest works. You set a mean pace, been a fan since the middle class. Keep going!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    the transperancy on the cloth on the last one is amazing, and the texture, and the lighting is breathtaking.

hmm, love it all.

still remember the day i discovered this sketchbook, then CA.
    From that day onwards, i knew i wanted to be an artist, so im pretty ecstatic to see you posting again.
    You truly are an amazing soul

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm sure you've gotten replies like this before, but I just wanted to say thank you. Like archipeligo, this sketchbook was one of the major forces that made me start drawing a year ago. I always liked drawing, but still had the idea drilled into my brain that you were born at a certain skill level and that was it. This thread really showed me that you can do whatever you want if you just work at it and love it.
    So thanks again, and keep us informed about the book! I'd love to have a copy on my shelf.

Daily Sketchbook
    All comments welcome!

ProtoSSG: Cup-of-Joe ~ Kitsu ~ White Rose ~ Afgal

Other SBs - ShiroNami - Leadster618

Thanks
    Thanked 1,402 Times in 557 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    yeah, i'm in the same boat as Cup of Joe. It was your sketchbook that inspired me to start mine and that gave me some hope. keep it up man.

"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
    --- Frank Herbert, Dune - Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

Check out my Sketchbook! Critique and Criticism welcomed.

or my Deviantart!

· or check out my: Blog

Page 56 of 72 FirstFirst ... 6 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 481