Sketchbook: Journey of an Absolute Rookie: Paintings and Sketches - Page 52
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 52 of 72 FirstFirst ... 2 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 ... LastLast
Results 1,531 to 1,560 of 2143

Thread: Journey of an Absolute Rookie: Paintings and Sketches

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    LadyLioness: My impression of the book so far is that it is written as much for beginners as for people with alot of experience.. He even says it's as much for beginners in the introduction.. He goes through everything really well and still keeps it simple to understand.. Have'nt read that much yet though.. Meybe 50 pages.. I'm really into it allready..

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Am realy curious on what it is that made your head start to change (or however you put it). Could you tell me the secret of what you've been reading lately? Please.
    Your latest updates are freakin awesome. I disagree with your statement though that landscape in Texas is boring though, there is no such a thing as a boring landscape. It all depends on what you make of it. In fact, it even is a chalange to turn a "boring" picture into something of interest. So as soon as it gets warmer you could try draw some outside. Perhaps some people too.
    I know I will
    So long...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    MindCandyMan,

I have one thing to say - "Thank you".

Thank you - for allowing us to watch your journey as it unfolds in your life. Both the good and bad times. That is what we draw from as we go forward in life. It's funny, after reading all the posts, coupled with all of the Self Portraits, I almost feel I know you in real life. Most incredible.

Thank you - for giving each and every one of us a piece of you. Art is emotional and developing the ability to express that emotion is far more precious than anything else.

This thread is a extremely valuable asset to this site and to anyone out there that is starting or continuing down the path of an artist.

Having said that, I myself am starting my own sketchbook as a journal of re-discovery with art. Your journey has reminded me that there are things in this world that are worth working for. If everyone had the dedication and passion for learning, the way that you have shown us here, then this world would be a FAR better place. It is important to note that self-improvement, not competition, is a healthy and just means to an end.

After reading the ENTIRE thread, I felt compelled to say something.

Thank you so much for your time. Keep up the incredible work man!

Richard_M

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ... pretty amazing to follow along with you through this thread. Very cool. Very inspiring. Thanks.

(If my sketchbook went to school, it would get its ass kicked everyday at the bike racks.)

SSG#14: We'll think of a better name someday!
    staylor | inkfish | pogy366 | jlward | godrifle | rodrigo! | ah.heng | maxetormer

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Jonathan...

It's been 7 months since I last looked at your sketchbook... I'm amazed. You've come an incredibly long way with your hard work and dedication. Awesome work man, I wish you the world.

Thanks so much for the inspiration to ge tme started and the inspiration to keep me going... looking forward to your next update.

Ian

Only the heart intrinsically noble can succeed...
    Check out My Sketchbook: Leave critiques, encouragement, and good jokes within.

www.enmls.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    vctr - Thanks man...that apple was fun. And about the atelier...read below I have a bit of an announcement...of sorts hehe.

pennington - Of course the one day i setup to go outdoors...it's raining...and the next day I try it is blowing like a tornado here in texas. I will get out there...I need too...being inside is killing me.

joehell - Glad you liked that book man...yeah it is busting out with useful info. It's a fantastic book...everyone should have it. It's rare to meet an artist so willing to share his info as well...all his tricks right out there hehe.

vigostar - thanks heheh

barton - Thanks!

fooxoo - Thanks! Yeah I agree about the colors for that one.

wisej - Thanks...as I've said before hehe...you could only go up from where I started hehehe.

ladylioness - Book is made for beginners and professionals. For beginners it will be a ton of "ah ha!'s" and for professionals it is a good refresher and also it compartmentalizes everything they may know into sizeable and digestable chunks. Great book.

MorteM - Thanks for the kind words and if you are in sweden definitely check them out. Here is the website if you didn't know.

http://www.atelierstockholm.se/

Yeah just contact them cause I am sure you could setup lessons of some sort and work at the same time.

blacky - You are absolutely right. If you look for it beauty is there...that's for sure. But if you say things like what you just said than I can't use any excuses . Ok plein aire with my next update hehe. As far as the secrets of what I've been reading or what changed my mind...I'm not quite sure. It's probably an accumulation of everything I have been thinking. David Leffel's books have helped change my thinking a lot about what is "correct"...reading Harold Speed's books on drawing and painting have also really helped. I am exploring more now than I did when I was in school...so that's a good thing I guess hehe.

Richard_M - Thanks so much for your kind words. It was my goal through creating this thread to inspire others as I was inspired. And it sort of evolved into a "you can do it" type of thread which is great. I'm not doing anything special just trying and failing and succeeding every once in a while. I am really thrilled to hear that you are starting your own sketchbook. You learn a lot about yourself by doing these...definitely.

pogy366 - Thanks! Glad the thread is still interesting heheh.

iane - Thanks...glad I could help motivate...we, as artists, all know we need constant motivation...that's for sure heheheh.

Sorry guys this is the only thing I have a picture of and it isn't totally finished yet either...sorry! This picture is HORRIBLE too...there is a visible shadow on the black cloth, etc... that is totally lost...but whatever. Although the painting I am currently working on I scraped off because it wasn't going where I wanted it too...I almost stabbed it straight through the canvas heheh. I am in the process of moving my studio and my belongings to an apartment.

Name:  flowervase.jpg
Views: 10980
Size:  21.2 KB

Ok guys so I have a couple big updates. I have been thinking long and hard about what I want to do. I visited massive black for a bout a week and half a couple weeks ago and I have been doing a lot of thinking about what I want to do in the future...concerning what specifically I want to be doing...not just "I want to be a good artist" hehe. I want to be able to work as an artist doing what I love and be able to make a living off of it. So long story short I thought and thought and thought and discussed with my wife and others at massive black and I am going to be going full force into fine art. I think we all know that my concepts suck anyways hahahah. I think I would be able to do well at concept art/illustration but to quote a friend, "It would take a substantial investment of time on your part"...time that I am not sure that I have right now. My wife has plans as well and she has been putting off EVERYTHING while I have been doing this and I would hate to make her wait any longer. Also I think I would have more fun (personally...maybe because I am better at it) doing fine art for a job. If I want to do some concepts or illustration on the side I can do it for fun. Basically I just have to go with what I am good at and what I love to do...so that's what I am doing. So wow...things have evolved quite a bit from when I first started this thread hehe...makes it more interesting I suppose.

Ok on to announcement number two - Atelier Private lessons

I am currently in the process of renting a 400 square foot studio space in this apartment complex ( http://www.block24.com ). It's a big open room...very large and spacious with huge north light window doors. It will be more than enough room for me and a model setup etc... The reason I am writing is to say that there is room to teach some people in the "atelier style" there and I am going to do that. I will probably have space for about 2 or 3 people but this is how it will work. I will take you through the same training that I received (bargue drawings, cast drawings, cast paintings, still life paintings, etc...). You will be able to have your own small space blocked off with dividers where you can do your bargues and your cast drawings and I will provide the casts...the bargues...the lights, etc... The studio will be in the same huge building that my apartment will be. If you look at the block24 website and look at the plans...you can see building 21...right above the number "21" is where the space is located...facing north as you can see. There are a billion apartments there so you can easily find a place in there where you can live and walk to this studio space. I plan on being at this space for at least two years...probably more...while I build up my body of work. I haven't decided on the price yet but it will be something similar to what I charge my private lesson students except that you will get my help for the whole month at any time during the day instead of just an hour or two a week. If anyone is interested you can find it on my website HERE and look on the contact info and you can contact me by phone or mail. If you contact me I can send you the document that lists the curriculum...supplies...everything you need. If you are interested...even to take a six month crash course or something just lemme know.

Here is the information here as well

Jonathan Hardesty
    4408 Taylor Lane
    Richardson, TX 75082
    214-227-6521
    jonathan@jonathanhardesty.com

If you are a nasty and mean person...I'm not interested in sharing a studio space with you hehe.

Last edited by emily g; June 23rd, 2007 at 01:53 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    looking at the paintings you've done on your own, that atelier training sure has paid off. I'm happy for ya man. I wish you the best!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow fantastic an update & news! its great that you're going to go head first into fine arts, can't wait to see what you produce. And a atelier! wow great stuff man If I'm ever in Texas I'll have to stop bye!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wish building 21 of block 24 was round the corner
    Am excited about the big updates you're talking about.
    May your plans become succesful.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi MCM

Just thought id drop a note on your thread to say thanks for takin the time to answer my question about the maroger medium!

I got it - but havent got round to using it yet - but will soon!

So did you think that those scott robertson dvds were good then?? Did you get all of them?

Very glad to hear that you are gonna start teaching - I have a feeling that you'll create a great teaching atmosphere in your classes!

Your paintings are lookin great aswell man - think what they'll look like this time next year!

anyway thanks again!

regards

gavin

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey MCM; Hopefully this summer I will get my first taste of Atelier Study with Douglas Flynt. =D Thanks for inspiring us all. If it weren't for you, I probably still wouldn't know what an Atelier was.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Jon,

just want to drop by to say that I'm really proud of your efforts and the fruits you are earning now. Remember me?

People might talk about magic and talent but I think I know how much diligence and power you invested to get where you are now! I sort of envy you because my life does not allow me to follow your path. However, in the end my own business got running and takes up most of my creativity. Which isn't just a saying, being a marketing consultant for small and medium enterprises, I do everything, from concepts via webdesign and webprogramming up to logo development and writing of white-papers or press releases...

So keep up the good job, good luck for your own studio and when I find some time I'll just drop in on your thread to say "hello" again!

Take care

Birgit

Imagination is intelligence having fun!

Jester's Sketchbook

Portfolio web site

Interceptor is offline Registered User Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This thread is the best example of how hard works pays off that I have ever seen.

* Help a CA artist! Visit the Constructive Critique section! *

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My god Mr.Candyman, you are fantastic, I've watched your sketchbook from page one to this last. And you have developed soooo much and become very skilled, and this feals good to me since I might do the same if i practise as hard.

Very good

tengudesu

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i hope we get to jam-out some day. you're still improving! slow down! :p

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I figured it was time to drop by and add a comment here. Replied many months ago, already then amazed of how far you've come. It's simply stunning really, and even though this thread has a crap load of replies and posts, I can't think of many other things that make you want to draw more, than browsing through your sketchbook. Simply watching your progress is amazing, not to mention your work. It's gold.

Time for me to pick up my pencils again, and I'll be more than happy if I can muster even 1% of the ambition you have!

~M.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    darn rain! oh well. lovely flower anyways. and it's great that you're doing the atelier would love to study from you. can't wait to see more!

my sketchbook

What drives a man, but that he should love and be loved, and find the purpose that his heart was made for.
    Whatever you do work at it with all your heart as working for the Lord. col. 3:23

10 Minute UberMega Battle Thread!!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey jon good choice. You cant do everything at once and youve already found what you like to do. Just promise youll loosen up eventually and try things out from time to time! Im sure thats farther down the road though.

Nice flowers.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Jon,

What can be said that hasn't been said already? I'm going to keep my eye on you. Not just because you're so damn sexy but also because I'm sure you're going to do great things. I think this thread should show everyone what is possible if you focus on what it is you want to do and then go for it.

Hit me up sometime.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    patdzon - Thanks man. Yeah the atelier training helped immensely. Set me on the route to where I am. But I also learned when I started on my own how little I knew heheh. It's one of those things I guess. The main thing I learned is how little I knew hehe. I am NO WHERE near where I want to be as an artist. But I really feel that the atelier learning helped me achieve a level of foundation that I can build on now.

vctr - Definitely stop by if you are in texas! Yeah I will only have room for like 2 or 3 people but I really feel like I want to pass on this learning if I can. A lot of people want to do this but they don't know how to go about it. I want to help whoever wants it bad enough.

blacky - Thanks! I wish it was around the corner from you as well. I would love to teach some conceptartorgians...to give back a little of what I've received from all of you.

gnl - Anytime...I hope you ended up liking the maroger. It's a different type of medium than sometimes people are used to so I always feel hesitant about prescribing it but I just like it so much. Those three dvds are really good. One of my students is borrowing them right now. It helps you dissect light and figure out what it is doing and why it is doing that. He is remarkably clear in his presentation of complex ideas as well.

Pixeldragoon - Awesome!!!! Doug is a really talented guy. I saw one of his pieces in john pence gallery and he is really good. You will learn a ton from him. Glad you are going to an atelier...you won't be disappointed. I heard about ateliers from jason manley...so it's cool that we can all help each other out! Keep me updated with your progress man...would love to see how you progress.

jester - Hi Birgit! Of course I remember you . I'll tell you something...I could never never do what you are doing. I would be horrible at anything like that. You deserve tons of respect for doing something like that on your own cause it takes a lot of work. That's really good that you get to utilize some creativity as well. That keeps the job interesting! Thanks again for stopping by and for your kind words. They are greatly appreciated for sure.

interceptor - Thanks hehe. I feel the laziest punk ever...so I always feel guilty when someone says that hehehe.

tengudesu - Thanks for the kind words. You will pass me if you work hard. I feel like I haven't done anything that spectacular yet ...Among professionals I am among the bottom rung so we'll see what I've really got in the next 5 years hehe. Kind of scary hehe. Gotta just keep pushing hehe.

killing.people - Man...I feel like such a different person from when I started this thread. It feels like just a short time ago you were taking much undeserved pity on me and teaching me about cubes and how they are constructed and lit with the utmost patience. I owe a lot to you for helping me in the early stages. It was then I was in the most danger of quitting and you helped me through it. I owe a portion of any success I have now or will have to you and many others who helped me. I always feel indebted to you guys...it's what drives me to keep wanting to give back even if it is in meager ways hehe. What have you been up to lately...looked at your site...your work is amazing and you are well rounded. 3d...textures, etc... you are the renaissance man.

spellshaper - Thanks...yeah motivation is very elusive that's for sure. Your comments help keep me going!

pennington - Did some landscapes. I scraped off most of them but I kept one that I need to remember to take a picture of when I can. It's under a pile of paintings some where. If you are intested in taking lessons from me here just send me an email or give me a call and we can talk about it.

endregan - I promise ...hehe. Thanks for the encouragement man. I'm loosening up already

Carl - Hey bro what's up! I can't help but keep my eye on you...your name popping up everywhere these days. And if I'm sexy you must marilyn monroe's daughter. Listen up everybody...if you haven't ever heard carl play guitar and sing jonny cash songs...you haven't lived yet. We need to paint together sometime soon man. I'll definitely keep in contact man . Thanks for the kind words and for stopping by this ridiculously long and butt styles thread hehe.

14 x 18 I think???

Hey everybody...this painting is still drying (hence the sunken in areas) but I had a picture of it already...and as I'm lazy and hate photographing my work unless I have to...I thought I could post it.

This was done at William Whitaker's workshop in salt lake city. I scraped it off about 5 times I think during the process because I wanted to keep redoing it to learn bill's technique and how he went about things. So this wasn't really meant to be a finished painting but the last day I brought it up a bit to make it at least more finished. The model had an interesting face so it was fun to paint.

Name:  elandraportrait.jpg
Views: 21601
Size:  61.2 KB

16 x 20

Got a little more work on this one but it's mostly finished.

Name:  redbuds_n_peaches.jpg
Views: 11342
Size:  77.3 KB

9 x 12 I think???

This is something I did for fun. Awww...the poor bear.

Name:  brokenbear.jpg
Views: 11310
Size:  73.3 KB

I just got my new business cards too if you guys are interested...here's what they look like.

I have a new site design too...I can't remember if I told you guys that. I made it more simple and less stupid and dumb than it was before.

Name:  jonbusinesscard.jpg
Views: 11286
Size:  63.8 KB

Last edited by emily g; June 23rd, 2007 at 01:55 AM.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to MindCandyMan For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Beautiful paintings. Nothing to say, you master your tool in a very good and insiring way.
    Keep it up! And your website directly went in my favs

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey there you go loosening up already! I like how the portrait is not totally finished as in the shirt is not totally finished to emphasize the facial features.

Nice still life, im a big fan of purple. Whats in your palette ? Ive been meaning to expand my palette, I just use white, yellow ochre, hansa yellow, cad red, napathol red, cerulean blue, cobalt blue and ult blue. Its a not bad starting palette but im lacking the punch a black would give me or another colour that I might find useful?

keep the hardesty train rolling, its got places to go.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Dude that portrait is amazing Jon. Good show sir! Indeed!

Great work on the bear painting too, the face looks like it's got lots of nice details that ask to be inspected up close.

I'm going to try and finish that painting I started with you this week. I had to take a hiatus and do some still-life drawings to keep my sanity

I can't thank you enough for all your help man. There's not a hint of styles in your work and I don't think you ever have to worry about getting caught up in 'em

Cheers M8, hope allsa well in Dallas.

"I watch everything I hate I love everything"
    sketchbook thread
    site

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Beautiful set..These paintings are just jaw dropping.

TUNAFISH SAMMICHES?!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This is unquestionably for me, the most inspirational thread here. The paintings you show us now are absolutely beautiful; but when you compare that to your first posts... that's what makes it inspirational. Thank you.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    HOLY! great update jon! the portrait came out nice , the 16*20 still life is very nice and i love the new business cards! fantastic stuff !

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    great update and great site, the idea of the teacher lineage, i dunno, may be a little.. immodest? i dunno, whats a better word? either way, glad to see an update..

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

‡‡‡‡‡ BoneDoctrine ‡‡‡‡‡

Very strong <> you have certainly come a long way <> your skill level is very impressive.

I looked at your site very clean and well designed <> I do agree with Main, I think the Linage
    thing could be handled in a more modest tone.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Beautiful stuff man!
    The portrait is my favorite, probably cause I like the looser feel. I like the texture of the skin, is that the result of careful brushstrokes or the fact that you scraped it off so many times? The skin has interesting depth to it!

Nikola Odic
    sketchbook
    site
    you got them purty lips, boy

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    your improvement is no less than inspiring. The oil studies you have done are beautiful. Any tutorials?

kEEP it up!

Page 52 of 72 FirstFirst ... 2 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 476