Page 5 of 166 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 55 105 ... LastLast

Thread: Journey of an Absolute Rookie: Paintings and Sketches

Thanks

Thanks

Thanks cmortier...yeah I was having so much fun painting that robot that I just couldn't go to bed hehe. Here are some close ups if you are curious...I see a lot of the other guys do this so it might be interesting. I can't wait to see your robot! I can see a MASSIVE improvement in the first tree painting you did to this last apple one. Keep going you are doing great. We will both move forward together! :cool: Thanks for the encouragement! Here are the close ups

Head:

Attachment 92143

Torso:

Attachment 92144
    Last edited by emily g; June 18th, 2007 at 04:47 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks

will post

hey guys...Rest assured I am still doing stuff...but my image hosting website is going to be down for a couple days so I can't post anything right now. But as soon as it is up I will post more. Thanks,

Thanks
    Here is the robot I've done this morning for the robot speed paint. It has take 30 minutes , It's not finished, but 30 min was my limit before I stop , but I'm very happy with the result, only 30 minutes and I've got that already, I don't beleive it :confused: Speed painting make you do the stuff faster, and you learn so much more than if you take your time I believe. Anyway, I've learn that during this session : Always make the background first, then the sketch, then draw the front subject. (And not the sketch then the front subject, then background...)
    Journey of an Absolute Rookie: Paintings and Sketches
    Last edited by cmortier2002; October 13th, 2002 at 05:27 AM.

Thanks

October 12-13

October 12-13

cmortier - Wow that's pretty good man...keep it up...good job! Check out the post that oblio started...jon foster replied to it in there and added a lot of extra instruction to what Jason Manley had originally posted. I am going to be trying out those techniques tonight for sure. Back to creating spheres heheh...the basics are everything though.

At any rate here is the weekend stuff.

This is a wizard's altar that I might try to paint if I have the ability...there is more to the room but I couldn't fit it on the scanner:

Attachment 92145

This is more of my head study...still not getting it right but I will keep trying.

Attachment 92146

This is a robot that turned out REALLY BAD...OUCH...THIS ONE STINKS

Attachment 92147

Here are some other things from this weekend:

Attachment 92148

Attachment 92149

Attachment 92150

These next three were really quick pastel studies...like 2 - 3 minutes each...the last one is not of me but I just was having fun drawing a nameless man.

Attachment 92151

Attachment 92152

Attachment 92153
    Last edited by emily g; June 18th, 2007 at 04:52 AM.

Thanks

Wait... hold on a sec.

Mind i am amazed by your efforts. These are very nice.
    Yet.. you HAVE to work on your proportions and to clean up a bit.
    Try this: SIMPLIFY FORM. Try a lowpoly approach.
    Use a marker and fo outline - think twice before putting a line on the paper.
    Drawing is LOGIC - you have done one eye - then draw two lines to se where that other eye goes. Use the reflection of yourself only as a reference. Try to understand the form - split it in cubes, cilinders, etc - primitives.
    If you realy have to hatch - quit those vertical lines - the lines should work around the shape. Draw a sphere and do vertical lines hatch - then do hatch with lines going around.
    Both ways are fine but the seccond reveals form better!

I hope you get this as a kind advice since this is all it is. Yours,

Oblio

Thanks

Good call Oblio

Thanks Oblio,
    I appreciate the encouragement. You are dead on about my proportions. I am having such a hard time with them. I think you are right about just taking a mathematical approach to it. Maybe I should just do a bunch with just a sharpee pen or something. I think it will help me when I actually study the anatomy of the face as well. I will try that tonight as well. Question: What do you draw first...do you draw your eyes first...head...etc? Do you think that makes a difference? :confused:

Thanks

October 14th

Newest Stuff:

I am having problems with my proportions in my self portraits...can anyone offer an effective way to measure(map out) the face for when I do my self portraits. I am having such a hard time.

This first one is a study of light and the different shades it creates...trying to learn from a post that foster did in the SCHOOLYARD section...tell me what you guys think...just spheres in different lighting.

Attachment 92156

This is my latest self portrait...as you can see I am having problems with proportions...so I wrote on the "chalkboard"...not to have bad proportions hehe.

Attachment 92157
    Last edited by emily g; June 18th, 2007 at 04:54 AM.

NoonThirty Guest
    Hey all. I was out of town for a few days, which is why I haven't been posting.

Jonathan, you may not see it, but you really are getting better by the day.

Stick with those anatomy books. Keep working on the proportions, and don't get discouraged that you don't get everything correct right away. No one does. I guarantee even the pros on this board who have been drawing for 20 years still work on their anatomy/proportions from time to time. It really is a lifelong process, and not something you learn all at once and then never have to worry about again. (And believe me, I remind myself of this all the time whenever I'm struggling with drawing anatomy.)

I really liked the portrait you said you "cheated" on with the digital photograph. The final piece looks very Van Gogh-esque. That's a big compliment coming from me. And that wizard's altar was sweet.

You asked what order we drew facial features in. I can't speak for everyone else, but I think you'll be pleased with the results if you try this: Rather than drawing an eye completely and then moving on to the nose and so on, try sketching out the basic forms of the whole portrait very lightly right at the start. It's much easier to correct obvious errors in proportion at this preliminary stage.

Once you think things are laid out basically correctly, then go back in with heavier, more permanent lines and do your rendering. I guess some people do one sketching pass and one final rendering pass. I usually do a sketch, a correcting sketching pass if need be, and then at least two rendering passes. This approach helps me to apply detail only where it's really helpful to the whole piece, rather than obsessing over every square inch.

Noon:30

Thanks

October 15th

October 15th

NoonThirty - I think that approach to drawing the face is really really good. I am going to try that tonight. It makes sense to just draw everything lightly...I feel embarassed I didn't think of doing that hehehe...so simple but so good. Keeping the big picture in mind is something that is important I am starting to see. It doesn't matter how good an "eye" looks Thanks for the compliments on the portrait. Yeah I was going for a van goghish type of look. Yeah I might paint that wizards altar this weekend I think...I liked that design too thanks . I had a blast drawing that...it started off as three legs of a robot but then I ditched that idea and went with the wizard theme type thing. Thanks so much for your encouragement Noon I really appreciate it. It helps me keep going!

Here's the two newest pics...one is a self portrait and the other is just practicing values...tear them up.

Attachment 92158

Attachment 92159
    Last edited by emily g; June 19th, 2007 at 11:01 PM.

Thanks
    Greetings brother! Your most accurate portrait to date, good job. I see you were trying to develop the "less is more" principle we talked about. Great studies with the spheres too, nice use of the existing canvas colors you chose.

Keep up the great work spanky!
    "I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Thanks
    Nice job on the value studies, they look awesome

The main problem I can see with the portrait Is that the forhead looks to small. The eyes are usually around halfway on the head.

Thanks

October 16

October 16

I totally didn't feel good at all last night. So this is a byproduct of that. As far as the halo and other little chalkboard thing. I'm sorry...I have no excuse hehe.

Attachment 92160

Smeagol71 - Hey bro (he is really my brother )...thanks for the encouragement. Before I worry about the shading the image I need to get down where everything goes first. So I am just trying to do that "less is more" type of thing. Thanks for all your help.

Dark_Crystal - Thanks! Yeah I noticed that about the portrait too. I actually wasn't quite sure about the ratio so thanks! I know it probably just seemed like a small thing to you but actually those little details really really help me when I draw. I keep them in mind so thanks!!
    Last edited by emily g; June 19th, 2007 at 11:02 PM.

Thanks

October 17th

I hate the human face...

Journey of an Absolute Rookie: Paintings and Sketches

I will be away this weekend but I am bringing my drawing supplies...but I won't be able to post until monday morning. So look for my stuff from the weekend then. See ya.
    Last edited by MindCandyMan; June 17th, 2003 at 11:04 AM.

Page 5 of 166 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 55 105 ... LastLast