Sketchbook: Journey of an Absolute Rookie: Paintings and Sketches - Page 5

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 5 of 72 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 55 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks Jester hehe...I will do more tonight. I am really enjoying using the pen.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I keep forgetting to put the dates

December 10th

Hey Jester your tree ents inspired me to try an idea of my own. This was just a really quick sketch on the train. But I might take this idea and flesh it out in a pen drawing tonight.

Name:  Tree%20Ent%20Sketch.jpg
Views: 22818
Size:  69.0 KB

Jolly Old Saint mixed with me

Name:  painting%2064%20old%20saint%20nick%20sp.jpg
Views: 22511
Size:  47.8 KB

Last edited by emily g; June 19th, 2007 at 11:42 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    December 11th

Since the eyes on my last portrait stunk really bad. Mitch has assigned me the task of drawing my own eye. (Thanks Mitch!) This was hard. Here is the result.

Journey of an Absolute Rookie: Paintings and Sketches

Last edited by emily g; June 19th, 2007 at 11:43 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    When the little figure is meant to indicate size this is a really big ent! How about trying it in color?

Jester

Imagination is intelligence having fun!

Jester's Sketchbook

Portfolio web site

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Jester,
    Yeah I had imagined deep in the forest the great great great grandfather of all the ents. The oldest one alive. I will try to paint it tonight...I'm not sure how it will turn out but I will try!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Whats up...

my eye

Name:  Painting%2066%20close%20up%20of%20eye.jpg
Views: 22352
Size:  14.0 KB

Take me back Mitch take me back!!!!!

Hey Jester I am working on my tree monster thingee but it is gonna take a little while to finish...I want to really try to render it out well. We will see what happens hehe.

Ok here is a small preview of one section of the painting just to prove I am working on it hehe...the bottom of the ent with some foliage near him

Name:  Tree%20Ent%20preview.jpg
Views: 22325
Size:  14.3 KB

Last edited by emily g; June 19th, 2007 at 11:44 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    December 13th - 15th

Sargent Brush

Name:  Painting%2067%20sargent%20self%20portrait.jpg
Views: 22356
Size:  29.8 KB

I saw the Pennsylvania ballet this past weekend. They were performing "The Nutcracker". It was so beautiful...I had to come home and do a painting purely just so I could remember how I felt when I was there. This was more of a free form painting.

Name:  ballet.jpg
Views: 22458
Size:  59.5 KB

I am still trying to learn how to paint...here is my tree ent...in process.

Name:  Tree%20Ent%20preview%202.jpg
Views: 22266
Size:  32.5 KB

Here are more pen and ink studies for you jester.

Name:  Drawing%2062%20pen%20landscape.jpg
Views: 22373
Size:  107.9 KB

Last edited by emily g; June 19th, 2007 at 11:45 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey, those pen and ink studies are really nice. I like that face u did with the seargeant brush, nice stuff. I wish you had a diff. Avatar, not that I don't like the one you have. But it keeps making me think, your'e really young. I know you're 22, but I keep thinking early teens, cause of that avatart. no intentions to offend, just my two cents!

-http://iwasink.com/-
    DS Illustration
    "Get reference.
    There is nothing wrong with using a photo to help you see things.
    No one complains about life drawing,
    so take a photo.
    its easy, and will improve your piece greatly."

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the encouragement iwasink! HAHAHAHAH that is hilarious about my avatar. I'm glad you said something hehe. I changed to a temporary one till I get home. I made it from one of my self portraits. That is hilarious...if I wasnt at my desk at work I would laugh out loud hehehe.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, MindCandyMan, thanks for the pen and ink study! I'm pretty busy at the moment, preparing everything for our trip to Sweden, so I fear I'll only post a few sketches if any for the rest of this year! Keep working and improving!

Jester

Imagination is intelligence having fun!

Jester's Sketchbook

Portfolio web site

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow that's awesome Jester! Have fun man! That is gonna be a great time. Be safe. I will keep going...don't worry about that hehe.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    December 16th

Name:  Painting%2068%20creepy%20chalk%20sp.jpg
Views: 22120
Size:  19.2 KB

Still struggling with this tree. Having a hard time getting it detailed. I am not sure quite what to do. Any help would be appreciated (Thanks for the pics Jester!)

Name:  Tree%20Ent%20preview%203.jpg
Views: 22160
Size:  44.6 KB

Hey Mitch I tried out some of those quick sketches that you were talking about. I tried to put muscles on them....boy oh boy...man these turned out bad. I did them on the train with a ball point pen which didn't help I guess but sheesh...these are awful...I can't wait to take figure drawing class. I will use these as before and after pics heheh...these being the before.

Name:  drawing%2063%20anatomy%20exercise.jpg
Views: 22204
Size:  95.7 KB

Quick self portrait on the train from memory...looks nothing like me...oh well.

Name:  drawing%2063%20pen%20memory%20sp.jpg
Views: 22061
Size:  34.2 KB

Last edited by emily g; June 19th, 2007 at 11:47 PM.

Six Digit Paw Guest
    Go, go, go MindCandyMan!

The heart and moxie in this thread is amazing, man! Truly inspiring. Sure as hell keeps me at my sketchbooks (getting them to the scanner and posted up here is another matter entirely ;o) Thanks for putting up your stuff, and looking forward to the next pieces!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    December 17th

Hey everybody...I had to go to work...then screen a movie I did... and then I went to the LOTR midnight show so I did get home until 4 A.M. ....however I did make time to sketch when I was in line waiting for the movie. (why not right hehe)

This was a sketch that my brother (Smeagol71) was helping me with. I started the very base sketch and my brother was showing me how to form things and make proper lines and what those lines convey...he hated this sketch but I wanted to post it cause I liked it and plus we did it together (he did most of it heheh)...I learned a lot just walking through things with him.

Name:  jon_dan%20dragon%20sketch.jpg
Views: 22266
Size:  136.4 KB

This was another quick sketch I did until the lights went dark hehe.

Name:  quick%20sketch1.jpg
Views: 21970
Size:  17.0 KB

six digit paw - Thanks man!! I really appreciate the encouragement. I am a rookie but I am trying . I can't wait to see your stuff. Draw every day...don't let yourself ever go a day without drawing. Thanks again!...my art isn't the greatest but I am glad I can inspire people in other ways...at least I'm doing something right haha.

________
    Hi Everyone,
    If you didn't see my last post(s) on www.conceptart.org then I will bring you up to speed. Basically I have been inspired by the art produced and the work ethic of Jon Foster, Justin Sweet, Andrew Jones, Jason Manley, and my brother "Smeagol71" (among many others) and have decided to learn how to paint (primarily digitally). I am starting from rock bottom and I am going to paint at least one painting and do at least one sketch every day...probably two on the weekends. The order you see them in is the order that I am painting and/or sketching them...every day starting on 9/15/02. I am bearing my soul to everyone. I will post everything I do...whether it is awful or not. Most of the paintings and sketches, in the beginning, are going to look like crap but hopefully over the days/weeks/months/years they will start to get better. I have no formal art training but have signed up for classes this semester. I have a passion to paint and welcome any encouragement or critique that you want to give. Any feedback you want to give me you can leave in the threads I or just email me.
    Thanks

Last edited by emily g; June 19th, 2007 at 11:49 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    check out this post I know its directed towards jester, but I suggest the same to you. I still do it and I learn from it everyday

DS Illustration
    "Get reference.
    so take a photo.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    good call iwasink...wow under 20 bucks huh...I will buy that for Christmas...sounds awesome.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    December 18th

Hey guys here is some stuff from yesterday. I am working on another piece that I am going to try and enter in the thunderdome contest. I won't win but I want to contribute to the contest and help support conceptart.org!!!!!!! Well here are the latest ones...

Name:  quick%20sketch2.jpg
Views: 21881
Size:  25.8 KB

I used the tubist brush...what a nightmare heheh...just trying to experiment though hehe.

Name:  Painting%2070%20tubist%20close%20up1.jpg
Views: 21872
Size:  28.2 KB

Name:  Painting%2070%20tubist%20web.jpg
Views: 21848
Size:  14.7 KB

Last edited by emily g; June 19th, 2007 at 11:51 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some stuff from yesterday. Hey iwasink my brother let me borrow some bridgeman books...they are really good...his style for some reason really helps me understand. I used them to help with the hand sketches.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by MindCandyMan; February 13th, 2007 at 10:54 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    your work is really paying off jon....there is such tremendous improvement! are you using a lot of reference, or are you working a lot from your head? either way, your work is going great! i'm still tryin to figure out how to draw from my head....can't quite do it well yet, gotta keep practicing!

cheers

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    See MCM, I knew those books would help. Glad you took a look at em.

DS Illustration
    "Get reference.
    so take a photo.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey guys thanks so much! I really appreciate the encouragement.

Iwasink...yeah you were absolutely right those books are awesome...I am gonna go through them some more today as well.

Zipp - Thanks for the encouragement bro. For the hand studies I look at the book and then I look at my hand and then I look at the book and my hand and try to draw it like the book has it...I try to work more to understand the principle than to just copy from the book. With Loomis though sometimes I just put the book down beside me and try to draw what he has sketched in the book...and during the process I think about why he put the lines there. For the monster and wizard/guy sketches I just do them from my head utilizing the knowledge I have gathered from the other sources. One thing that has helped me that mitch told me was to think about things in 3d and then try to represent them in 2d. That has helped me visualize how something would look on paper. Think about a 3d model of whatever you are drawing and then put that on paper. But also...open up bridgeman and loomis books and copy copy copy (understanding as you go)...Repitition till it *clicks*...is the key. Keep going bro your stuff is improving vastly as well...you may not see it but it definitely is. Sorry for babbling hehe.

I am still drawing everyone but I have no way to scan it in. As soon as I find a scanner I will post up all my stuff...peace

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

best thing any1 ever taught me

ok quick post here.. the best thing that anyone ever told me .. (to do with basic drawing and painting ) was that if you are looking at drawing, rendering realistic objects while conveying a realistic environment, you should look at life and draw exactly what you see.
    pretty basic i know but you are looking down the right path with the pictures you have posted here ... interesting studies on perspective and depth. Maybe you could try and look at the way people use tone and bush sensitivity in outline to convey depth of field and light.
    look closeley at shadow and light and the colours that you associate with shadow... for example objects in the forground will be brighter and more vibrant whereas objects in shadow or in the background will look more blueish or dull in appearance...
    i hope this is some help .. its pretty basic stuff but its where i started and its something i constantly have to refer back to.

try to get out of the digital medium every now and again and enjoy the freedom of a sketchpad ... it doesent have to be expensive equipment the work comes from you ... so artwork made by a genius with a piece of coal and some cardboard may look more impressive than someone using the latest mac and painter 7... not saying that the digital medium is bad ..coz i love it myself! -- sorry im blabbering so ill shut up an post this b4 i go on any longer

more coffee = better work

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for those words you guys. Kind of inspirational in a way. I too, MCM, am trying to do the same thing. I have drawn forever, but until now am I taking it seriously, because if i want to get into art Center, I need to try real hard. And concentrate on observing a lot more, thats why i came up with this

I'm glad that so many of us are learning from each other and get inspired off of one another. I thank everyone that has helped me out in any way, its the only way We'll ever learn.

Thanks

P.S my avatar is pissing me off, Because I try and make one to the specifications that are allowed and it won't accept it. Can someone tell me how you did yours. Just a brief explanation will do. thanks

Last edited by I.was.ink; December 21st, 2002 at 03:33 PM.
    DS Illustration
    "Get reference.
    so take a photo.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    N3W8I3 - Thanks so much that is awesome advice. You are absolutely right about using a regular sketchpad every once and a while...I think it's really important to do that...to go back to the basics...which brings me to your other awesome advice. Those things that you mentioned are the key to everything else...drawing from life is where it's at. I can't wait for this upcoming semester when I am taking drawing I and life drawing I...they do mostly all drawing from life so that will be awesome. I try to do everything I can while I am here in the house. drawing cups, vases, etc.... Once again awesome advice...it is ALWAYS good to keep the essentials and foundational skills in mind...especially for a major rookie like me. Thanks again man...I really appreciate you offering advice...and good advice at that!

iwasink - hey...that's awesome about you going to the art Center...that is really cool. You are absolutely right as well...bouncing criticism and encouragement off of each other is a constant way to grow...it has helped me tremendously. Oh for the avatar...make it an 80 x 80 picture and make sure its under 15k and I think it will work then.

Thanks again everyone for the encouragment...together we will grow better!!!!!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here is a quick sketch I did for the speed painting thread... A lot of mistakes with this one but I did it in 15 minutes...oh well...the other stuff I have been doing is in my sketchbook so I have to wait till I can scan it. See ya guys.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by MindCandyMan; February 13th, 2007 at 10:54 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    some of the sketches I am doing

Name:  sketchbook%20page%2015.jpg
Views: 21727
Size:  53.8 KB

Name:  sketchbook%20page%2016.jpg
Views: 21743
Size:  67.3 KB

Last edited by emily g; June 19th, 2007 at 11:51 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey man good stuff.. but i cant see most of it (*humph*)
    i get a "the user has reached his bandwidth limit" message
    i would like to see your stuff...
    im still getting my stuff together to post up.. kinda embarrassed about the dody skull and stuff i put up earlier!
    anyhoo i like! :chug:

more coffee = better work

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey thanks man...phantomarts (the place where I store a lot of my stuff) went down and it won't be back up till probably in january...cause the monthly bandwidth was exceeded...I am gonna start storing all my stuff on my msn account web space from now on so that should be good. I will just upload all my files to that. I am gonna try and make a website eventually as well that documents my progress...we will see how that works out. Thanks again for the encouragement...on monday I will post some of the stuff I have been doing...I will have access to a scanner then...peace.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some stuff

I'm trying to learn anatomy...going through the Loomis figure drawing book.........*sigh*.....I need so much more practice.

Name:  anatomy%20practice.jpg
Views: 21761
Size:  64.8 KB

Name:  anatomy%20practice%202.jpg
Views: 21689
Size:  51.3 KB

Name:  anatomy%20practice%203.jpg
Views: 21649
Size:  62.6 KB

Name:  anatomy%20practice%204.jpg
Views: 21660
Size:  72.0 KB

Name:  gang%20member%20sketch.jpg
Views: 33405
Size:  52.6 KB

Name:  submarine%20sketch.jpg
Views: 21574
Size:  37.2 KB

Last edited by emily g; June 19th, 2007 at 11:52 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    December 30th

Sketches from the train:

Name:  mech%20robot%20sketch2.jpg
Views: 21525
Size:  46.3 KB

Name:  spiral%20bound%203.jpg
Views: 21606
Size:  117.0 KB

Name:  spiral%20bound%204.jpg
Views: 21503
Size:  70.1 KB

Name:  spiral%20bound%202.jpg
Views: 21543
Size:  112.1 KB

Cyborg self portrait I did

Name:  Painting%2069%20Cyborg%20Head%20sp.jpg
Views: 21415
Size:  31.0 KB

Last edited by emily g; June 19th, 2007 at 11:53 PM.

Page 5 of 72 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 55 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 551