Page 3 of 144 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 53 103 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    thanks for the tips mindcandyman, I will try do to just what you said, and I will take time to do it, to do it properly.
    I've tried to find a good book about drawing today, but without success.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Here is the tree I do with pencil. It looks better than that color one, I've tried too fast to use colors.
    Journey of an Absolute Rookie: Paintings and Sketches

Thanks
    mindcandy:
    very brave of you! if you keep it up, your effort will pay off i promise you! good study on form, follow me to the shading just above your lips .. that little bump of skin where your lips meet your skin .. not that lips arent skin .. well you know, look at how wonderful that looks! great display of good shading! the same quality in the valleys created from the masses in your cheeks that run to the folds of your nose. i think you should try another self portrait and concentrate more on what you look like - try not to worry about the outcome, dont even look at the paper if you dont want to there is no need. but when doing this also try this! - try not to use contour lines or sharp lines - instead try shading the entire subject light to lighter so on to dark. just like with the shading of the more realistic areas of your portrait where there is not hard line defining where your gradent starts and begins. i think it might help and if you want give it a try; communicate the form by shades without lines.

cmortier2002:
    great to see a new aspiring artist! i personally like your color one better and feel you used color really well. i think you should try what mindcandyman has done in which he practiced with drawing objects from life and tried his best to communicate them onto his paper as best he could.
    also give a stab at a "gekitsu cube".

-killing

NoonThirty Guest
    Jonathan, that's gotta be the best first self portrait I've ever seen. You have the knack; just keep practicing...

The best art teacher I ever had told me that the keys to getting a good likeness in a (self-) portrait are the eyes and mouth. If you get the shape of them right, you can mess up a lot of other stuff and the portrait will still look like the model to a casual observer. I don't know what you look like, but I get the feeling the eyes and mouth in this piece are correct. So good work!

The only other thing I can tell you that might help is try to avoid drawing individual hairs or eyebrows. It's difficult, but try to draw hair as you would any other form, with light and dark areas, and hint at its texture rather than drawing each hair.

Noon:30
    (Paul)

Thanks

October 5th

Hey Everyone...gotta do this quick...this is my latest self portrait...I will post number 2 and 3 tomorrow...but this was done in painter and I don't have a scanner to post the other ones. So here is number 4...I will be posting in reverse tomorrow with numbers 2 and 3 hehe...kind of weird but oh well hehe.

cmortier - nice...I like the tree...definitely showed you had an understanding of the light source and shading. Keep going...draw draw draw every day. That's the way to get better right!

noon:30 - Thanks for the encouragement. I'm glad to know that I seem to have some natural talent...I would hate to be wasting my time hehe. Thanks again for all your help...don't worry I don't plan on stopping any time soon hehe.

Well here is my latest self portrait. This is number 4...tell me what you think. My wife came in and said, "Wow that's funny...that looks a lot like you"...so I guess I am getting closer. Is it just me or am I the only one posting Self portraits that has glasses???? The right eye is really unproportionate but hey...you win some and you lose some right?...I'll get em next time.
    Last edited by MindCandyMan; February 13th, 2007 at 10:34 AM.

Thanks
    killing.people: I will do that, draw from real life object, and start studying perspective. I think I will wait a little that my drawing skills become better before painting in color again...

Mindcandyman: I've drawed during my meeting this morning, an apple and other little stuff, but because I have not scanner, I can't show you what I've done. Anyway, I wait for your 2 others self portrait, perhaps you can post a picture of you, so we can compare. The 2 you've posted have the same shape, so I think that you've done them pretty well. :clapping2

Thanks

October 6th

Hey Everybody,
    I am gonna leave my previous post up a bit longer but these are actually the self portraits that I did "before" I did that one. I did 3 self portraits yesterday so these were are number 2 and 3 respectively. The first one was done all in charcoal. I limited myself on the last one to 2 minutes with three different colors of pastels. Lemme know what you think:

Attachment 92124

Attachment 92125
    Last edited by emily g; June 19th, 2007 at 10:52 PM.

Thanks

Nice...

very nice in fact but... what color is your skin

Oblio

Thanks

Otober 7th

It is very late for me right now and I am very angry. I can't draw myself worth crap. I am gonna try to go to bed but I don't think I will be able to sleep. ARrrrrrrrhghhhhhhhhhghghghghgh...:mad: :confused: :bash: :hothead: :rant: :crazy:
    Last edited by MindCandyMan; February 13th, 2007 at 10:36 AM.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to MindCandyMan For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Dude this is seriously the most inspiring enthusiastic thing that I think I've ever encountered short of Andrew's all-out quest for the self-portrait - I've never had any formal training either and most of my art has been very comic-booky, if that makes sense (short of some poor Bateman imitations in High School). Seeing your work and your progress and sheer dedication to the basics and the fundamentals (which are everything!!!) is outstanding and - well, i don't know what else to call it except inspiring. I hope that in a few weeks i have the courage to post what will be my first meager attempts at digital painting - thank you.

Thanks

Doing better this morning

Adam: Thanks for saying that man. I am starting to get out of the honeymoon phase and starting to get down to it and at times (like last night) I am sure it is going to get really frustrating. But I am going to just keep going! I am not giving myself another option...I will not give up on this. Adam please feel free to post what you do here in this thread. I know cmortier2000 has posted his stuff and you are welcome to post your stuff. I would love to see your work man. We can help each other and give criticism where it's needed. Any attempt isn't meager...it's a step away from mediocrity. And you and I are at the bottom of a tower with a whole mess of steps. But take it a day at a time. And when 20 years from now rolls around we will be saying...hey I have been drawing and painting for 20 years? Wow! And we will be good by then! Probably even before then. Definitely post your stuff up here bro.

I'm doing much better this morning than I was last night...I wanted to smash my wacom but my wallet definitely got the best of me hehehe. I drew this on the train on my way to work this morning. It was with a ball point pen and was done in about 5 minutes...it's better than the first hand that I sketched so I am glad about that...but I am still not happy with the results. I felt bad just posting that angry half made self portrait hehe. So here it is:
    Last edited by MindCandyMan; February 13th, 2007 at 10:37 AM.

Thanks
    Hi,

Here is my last painting, I finally think that digital painting is easier than on paper drawing...
    It's an apple for those that can't say if it's an apple or a tomato
    MindCandyMan : You are better now as I see on your last drawing, forget about that nightmare night, I'm with you.:cool:

Thanks

Holy Cow

Hey cmortier...did you use a tutorial for this? I made an apple a little while ago using a tutorial from www.seegmillerart.com . At any rate this apple is AWESOME. Wow I must say that scrolling up and looking at your trees and then scrolling down to this shows HUGE improvement. That is totally awesome man! Wow I was floored when I saw this. Great job man. You are improving quickly! Paint some more stuff so I can see it! Hey let's both paint apples tonight in 2 different sets of lighting. Pick 2 different sets of lighting and we will both come back tomorrow with 2 different scenarios for an apple. If you have the time that is...

The only thing I would say is watch the shape of the apple...apples really aren't round...they have a weird shape and are bumpy, etc... Also paint over that black line that you used to sketch it. You don't want to see any explicit outlines of it when you are painting. Let the shading that you use create the lines. Wow great job. If you are using Painter...try using the "just add water" tool to smooth over the tones...that will create a nice transition from light to dark.
    :shocked: :rock: :clapping2 :clapping1 :bigeyes: :btu: :blue:

Thanks
    Actually, I have read a very good tutorial on painter Classic this morning, and then tonight I wanted to do a test, I will try follow it more seriously next time... but this time, it was only by remembering a picture I saw in this tutorial. I will try to find it...

Here is the link if you are interested, the picture I remembered for this painting is on the last page of lesson 3.
    http://www.3dluvr.com/content/section/9

Anyway, for the apple study, lets do it, but give me more time (2 or 3 days), I just come back from a long working session and I'm very tired.

PS, thnaks for the tips, I will use them for the 2 following apple paintings

Thanks
    phew - i'm kind of excited, feels like the first step out into a freaky new world I made myself draw for 30 minutes last night (even though it was already 4am) and i sketched for 30 minutes again today and then took 20 minutes to take a swing at digital painting, based on some of the links i found around here - here it is. Please, BE HARSH, i'm trying as hard as I can to learn this stuff as fast as I can so please let me know all the stuff i'm doin wrong thanks!!!

hehe - forgot the picture

Page 3 of 144 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 53 103 ... LastLast