Thanks

Unhappy An Honest Answer?

So as I was browsing about the galleries overhead, and various galleries from artists' own pages.. I'm really starting to wonder if I'm going to be left behind, by an powerful, constantly evolving altered reality artist community.

See, I know my technique is lacking, because i've lost about 3-6 years of my life through heavy drug abuse, recovery, etc.. Now i've been clean for two+almost 3 years, and it seems to me that when i take a good look at some of the concept i say: Wow... maticulous divinity piece (THC), sweeping grotesqueries (LSD), brilliantly colored cornacopia of randomly assorted figures in essentially empty space (Shrooms)... Then there are the plane jane portraits that could swing, buzzed, sober, or a lil high..

I know its not easy to assume responsibility for our actions, and their effect on our work, and lives, but for myself, I can't lie when i say, "Damn, it sure was a lot easier tapping into these unedited fascets of my imagination, whilst bobbing about the beautiful wave of an altered state..

Maybe i need to open up more and reference frequently. I also have a problem with either pattern recognition (obvious pattern recognition), or ego. I always want to create my own concepts, and when i do, it seems i can find them somwehwere else, previously created, with a twist. Such is the art world. Should i lighten up more? I spoke with chet zarr a few weeks ago about this and he said "I think there is a point where a sampled or referenced piece, becomes your own".

I don't know folks.. There's two questions in that mess: drugs and referencing other works (for figure and texture not concept of course).

thank you guys very much, this sight is a godsend!

TS

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    this is pretty much my opinion on drugs and art, take it or leave it

nothing is 100% percent original, your work is going to be influenced either consciously or subconsciously by your surroundings. if a large part of your life has been overwhelmed by drug abuse i think that would show up in your work and your observations on the work of others. As for the whole stereotype of drugs making someone more creative, i think that that's bullshit, work is going only a tiny part inspiration and the overwhelming majority of perseverance. if going out and getting fucked up made people creative and original there would be a whole lot more "artists" out there and a whole lot less "junkies."

Thanks
    Thanked 1,210 Times in 438 Posts
    I'm not sure I understand your problem here... Do you feel you're not creative enough when you're not high? Or is the problem that you use drug terminology when you shouldn't?

If it's the former, don't let it get you down. As you said yourself: lighten up. Just start to draw and draw and draw. Around here we're all about improving. I myself think that I might learn the technique and anatomy and values and all that, but fear my creativity isn't what it should. But at the same time I'm confident that that is something that will come with time. And I think it's the same with you and with anyone. Some people have an extreme talent, crazy random things just flood from their pancils. Others have to work on it. Just do it. Just draw. Visit this forum every day, it'll do you good.

If it's the latter, just try throwing in keywords like value, line and form wherever you see fit. You'll get it right sooner or later.

Oh, and some people might think this thread is in an inappropriate section, so expect it to be moved.

Thanks
    i honestly think this thread should be moved to the Lounge where it belongs, and that extinctink should read the forum rules carefully.
    Continuity Break -- my sketchbook

Shameless plugs!
    Kata femme -- a 3D model WIP, now updated!
    The Giordano Gambit -- Barsoomian Zingball at its best!
    Valkyrie Ascending -- now updated with the second in a series!
    ArmaRagnaGeddonRock-yer-Yuga! -- celeztial shitz 'n' gigglez
    I . Miss . America -- "colored [eyes] may hypnotize..."

"In the end, Razputin, aren't we all just dogs playing poker?"
    -- Edgar Teglee

Thanks
    I'm with Wombat. I think that drug or alcohol use/abuse never makes creative expression better, that connection is just a common misconception. In fact I don't know any successful commercial artists who would ever dream of working while high because your brain has to be firing on all cylinders to have any hope of accomplishing your task. I know there have been many celebrated artists, writers etc. who were alcoholics or drug addicts. But I think their creative output was inspite of their afflictions rather than because of them, and it's just a testament to their particular creative genius that they could create wonderful things while suffering through their addiction.

Thanks
    You wanker . Nothing is created from the abyss, everything is drawn from your experiences in life. It's sad that you think you have to alter your reality to be creative.

Understand that when your mind fails to create it is because you do not have enough to draw from. It is difficult because you must do many things at once and all at once. Using reference can and will take many of these variables out. Building a visual repertoire will also make things easier. So, practice and study you wanka!

Thanks

ok

so i cleared up some things on the other thread, with the same title.. moving this one wasn't necessary, i'll respond on the other one, once you read through the extended addition.

Thanks
    "See, I think drugs have done some good things for us, I really
    do, and if you don't believe drugs have done good things for us,
    do me a favor. Go home tonight and take all your albums, all
    your tapes, and all your CDs and burn 'em. Cause you know what?
    The musicians who made all that great music that's enhanced
    your lives throughout the years? Rrrrreal fuckin' high on
    drugs." --- Tool - Third Eye http://www.seeklyrics.com/lyrics/Tool/Third-Eye.html

I am not promoting drugs or anything, but if you did it - you did. And ? Just go over it and start brand new

If anything, you could go explore Fractals and mixing up things, or get inspiration from your dreams. The world is full of ingredients for a great art piece. Just regain your confidence and get back on your feet.

Thanks
    The way to be creative is to pretty much try and see all you can, build up a visual memory and then paste it all together. Ive discovered that staying in the same place/area for a long period of time kills your Visual memory and inspiration because your not seeing new things to keep your brain ticking. So move around as much as you can and most of all enjoy yourself.
    I remember marko writing something, pretty much saying that when you go out anywhere try and have the best time of your life, even if looks as though its going to be dull you still gotta have the best possible experience. This way youll be much more inspired. Watching people move think talk the way they stand. Watch everything dude! Its amazing how much you dont notice things around you until you observe then.
    In my own opinion I dont need drugs to have a good time or to get me thinking. Infact if anything id rather have full control of my body this way I can learn and concentrate better because my mind is at a normal state. I hope that sorta makes sense.
    Form, Form, Form, Form, Form, Form, Form, Form, Form, Form.

Thanks
    See, I know my technique is lacking, because i've lost about 3-6 years of my life through heavy drug abuse, recovery, etc.. Now i've been clean for two+almost 3 years, and it seems to me that when i take a good look at some of the concept i say: Wow... maticulous divinity piece (THC), sweeping grotesqueries (LSD), brilliantly colored cornacopia of randomly assorted figures in essentially empty space (Shrooms)... Then there are the plane jane portraits that could swing, buzzed, sober, or a lil high..
    I've never ever associated an artist's style with a 'drug'.

I usually see some predecessor artist in some body's work, like Frank Frazetta, John Buscema or Winslow Homer or something.

I think you need to be fully aware to be an artist....not in an altered state.
    Art is time consuming and requires concentration, at least initially. I don't think you can learn art 'properly' zonked out of your mind.
    My New Neglected Sketchbook
    You Ain't no Nina!.....

"Too often we... enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." -- John Fitzgerald Kennedy
    "My mind is made up. Don't confuse it with facts." -- Terence McKenna

Thanks
    I can only speculate on your what your life has been like and even if it sometimes is hard, I'd say that you should start to cherish your experiences both good & bad (I am not talking about cherishing the actual drug experience, but the fact that youve tried and gotten over it) and stop worrying about things like wether a concept has been done before or not. I had the same problem of worrying over my concepts too much to the point where I became so critical about them that I didnt want to draw at all.

Stop caring about what has been done before and start thinking about how you can build from that rather than letting it hinder you.

Considering your drug abuse, there's a quote by someone whose name I dont remember that imo sums it up pretty well that goes something like this

"The trick is to get there once with the substance and spend the rest of your life getting there without it."