Sketchbook: inertia, (old sketchbook) - Page 4
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think you may need to brush up on perspective. But I do like the concept of your sketches. Keep studying buildings, your room, brushes.

Asatira is offline an amateur trying to figure things out Level 9 Gladiator: Hoplomachi
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Only got the warm up done today. Maybe I can get something drawn tonight.

Name:  100408a.jpg
Views: 191
Size:  35.6 KB Name:  100408b.jpg
Views: 198
Size:  37.4 KB Name:  100408c.jpg
Views: 202
Size:  33.4 KB

"It's all about the triumph of intellect and romance, over brute force and cynicism." Craig Ferguson on Dr. Who
    sketchbook :: my dA gallery :: my art blog :: old sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Keep onnnnn truckin'. I think this one's fingers are very weird. They all look like different shapes. One is rectangular, another is crushed-in, etc. I think there are other anatomical problems in the drawings, so just do more life-drawing, anatomy studying, and practicing, and little things like that should work out soon.

Envisor is offline 21 year old artist workin' to improve! Level 10 Gladiator: Equites
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yes! Keep up those figures, also try to do more complete figures, I know these are gestures, but it would be nice to see more to them.

"Imagination is more important than knowledge"- Albert Einstein

Eric wants to LEARN! Sketchbook

Asatira is offline an amateur trying to figure things out Level 9 Gladiator: Hoplomachi
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    eminkey2003: Oh, I know the figure is very, very off in that image, especially the hand. I have yet to get the completeness of my image as it is in my head onto the paper yet.

Envisor: Will do. I'm at that point of looking through Loomis, for example, where I need to apply it to reference.

Anywho: usual 30sec gestures, a page of Loomis, and a skull study from Mark Simon's Facial Expressions. I know there are things wrong, but it's been forever since I've drawn a skull. I spent about an hour on this one. (must find a model skull)

Name:  100508a.jpg
Views: 191
Size:  58.8 KB Name:  100508b.jpg
Views: 194
Size:  58.3 KB Name:  100508c.jpg
Views: 183
Size:  67.7 KB

Name:  100508d.jpg
Views: 184
Size:  42.3 KB Name:  100508e.jpg
Views: 198
Size:  60.2 KB

"It's all about the triumph of intellect and romance, over brute force and cynicism." Craig Ferguson on Dr. Who

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The ear placement on the 2 3/4 view loomis head study bothers me a bit, I think you need to place it a bit closer to the jaw bone. But otherwise good studies, keep them up I'm seeing improvement.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    great to see you are keeping doing all those gestures regularly! the last few batches of them have all a nice flow to them!
    you should start to incorporate the hands and feet which you tend to cut off at the moment. and another suggestion would be to try not to go over the same line over and over again. leave just the first line or do aomething really different with the second - just doing the same line thrice wasts your time.

keep it up! more!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    katiniki Yeah, economizing my lines is something I need to work on. Details like hands or feet are not a priority when I do these. If the timer hasn't gone off/picture changed, then I get them

I was feeling depressed today and only got a few gestures in. I actually got two pages done, but my stupid scanner would not scan the full section no matter how many times I scanned. I need to hook up my other scanner (it also has better adjustment functions).

Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i admire your gesture working abilitys something i should do more of
    the skull looks great studing helps and your definitaly showing it

~You should never doubt what nobody is sure about~

Demo's Digital Damsels

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Demo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Demo: Thanks.

Yesterday's gestures and a study from photo ref from Smith's The Nude Figure. Haven't drawn from ref in forever (and it shows). (scanner scanned it darker than it really is and couldn't quite correct it)

Name:  100708a.jpg
Views: 163
Size:  31.5 KB Name:  100708b.jpg
Views: 162
Size:  36.7 KB Name:  100708c.jpg
Views: 166
Size:  31.1 KB Name:  100708d.jpg
Views: 161
Size:  21.6 KB

And today's gestures. Will try to get more studies done tonight and post either tonight or tomorrow.

Name:  100808a.jpg
Views: 165
Size:  42.3 KB Name:  100808b.jpg
Views: 179
Size:  54.4 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    more great studies though although those nipples look like they could cut a dimond or some thing lol sorry

Demo's Digital Damsels

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    heh - looks like i'm not the only one with an art slump - three days without update? shame on us!

last gestures look good though. you could make the critique job easier if you tried to draw the figures more separated and without overlapping each other!
    the figure drawing is a good start, too. more knowledge will bring the gestures to a new level! her head is too small and the foot and lower arm are strange. but the body itself looks pretty good!

more!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    katinki: Yeah, I was pretty bad. There are days when I just can't bring myself to pick up a pencil. I hate when I do that. And yeah, I do overlap my gesture figures. I do that because I can't be bothered with turning to a fresh page, want to get as many as I can done, and I don't plan for space.

Demo: Eh, the figure sorta did. And I tend draw very in straight lines and then cutting the figure out.

I did draw a little bit this weekend. I couldn't get the heart to do much, even though I knew I should. Got the usual gestures, a page of Loomis. Tonight, did a few anatomical nose studies based on Richard Peck and John Sheppard illustrations.

Name:  100908a.jpg
Views: 149
Size:  37.8 KB Name:  100908b.jpg
Views: 140
Size:  33.9 KB

Name:  100908c.jpg
Views: 147
Size:  32.6 KB Name:  100908d.jpg
Views: 168
Size:  30.8 KB

Name:  101208a.jpg
Views: 153
Size:  45.5 KB Name:  101208b.jpg
Views: 152
Size:  49.5 KB

Name:  101208c.jpg
Views: 160
Size:  29.7 KB Name:  101208d.jpg
Views: 150
Size:  20.0 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wow those nose studies are great and your writing is really good compared to mine also another art form i think is over look sometimes a great example of good writing is Mentlers stuff sorr i know im off topic.. more studies pleze

Demo's Digital Damsels

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Demo: Thanks. I'm really enjoying the nose studies. And I also enjoy Mentler's "Book of Bones," his work, while very academic and for study, are art works in themselves. My handwriting on the other hand is much worse, but my print writing is alright.

Got the last day's gestures and nose studies. I really enjoy John Sheppard's anatomy for artists book; the anatomy diagrams are a mix of linework, pen I think, and more modeled sketches. The noses I did are from a page full of noses. I need to come back and do these on gray paper like Sheppard did so I can get things like highlights.

Name:  101308a.jpg
Views: 143
Size:  32.2 KB Name:  101308b.jpg
Views: 139
Size:  36.8 KB

Name:  101308c.jpg
Views: 138
Size:  37.3 KB Name:  101308d.jpg
Views: 144
Size:  27.3 KB

And today's gestures. I really need to get back to the still lifes and such studies. I plan to work on doing some noses from photo ref today as well.

Name:  101408a.jpg
Views: 144
Size:  44.0 KB Name:  101408b.jpg
Views: 140
Size:  36.1 KB Name:  101408c.jpg
Views: 146
Size:  35.6 KB

edit: (6:56pm) Got some ref'd studies done. One page tonight. From Mark Simon.
    Name:  101408d.jpg
Views: 139
Size:  22.0 KB

Last edited by Asatira; October 14th, 2008 at 07:55 PM. Reason: added a study

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just gestures.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    just dropping some encouragement - keep it up!
    you could try to start your gestures with a line of action, that helps to establish some rythm. just try to capture the essence of the pose in one line. and i like the noses, too!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    shouldent repet whats already been said by katinki just keep up the good work and ull get their

Demo's Digital Damsels

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Slacked off again on the weekend. Got today's drawings. 10min of 30 sec gestures, a pair of quick drawings of my hand, and a modeled drawing of a M&M dispenser.

Got to try and get a half hour in of life drawing everyday, and to get out of my comfort zone. I've fallen into a half-hearted routine and I hate when I do that.

Envisor is offline 21 year old artist workin' to improve! Level 10 Gladiator: Equites
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good to see you still doing the figure studies. Seems you do not draw the hands much. Keep drawing hands until you become more comfortable with them. Also try some more complex figure studies. You are over simplifying the figures at the moment, but I know that is intentional. Keep working hard.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yeah - what eric said: break the routine. include new things. longer poses. shorter poses. concentration on hands. concentration on head shapes. etc.
    it's not boring, it's endlessly versatile!
    more! more! more!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Envisor, katinki: Yeah, I definitely plan to expand to more complex subjects and media in the next few days. I think doing simple toned watercolor studies once I find a place to set it up (ie clean, flat surface to put the palette and water). And will start digital studies in the next few days as well. Wow, October's nearly over.

Today's gestures and life drawing. My biggest complaint about the two balls I drew, other than poor shading, is I didn't set it up well. The light was too weak to do a proper study with.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Today's gestures and for my required 30 minutes I decided to change the scenery a little. Went to the neighborhood park and spent some time on a piece of playground equipment and a bench. While I feel eh about the final, I enjoyed getting out drawing something different.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Looking good! The loomis studies are great. Try to also mess with line weight(thickness of the line) and how you can give more form to your figures. Keep at it, cant wait to see those digi's.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I suck at painting digitally. Here's an assignment in the mentoring forum, focus is on an environment. It's, eh.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i'm struggling with environment myself but i think you're off to a good start. right now it seems like you painted everything very much in the local colour (and very bright ones). and you should try to think about light - where does it come from, where does it cast shadows etc.? the temple thingie looks very floating, try to ground it more. thus - more light and shadows and less bright colours and more of it! more! muharrharr!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    katinki: I guess that's what I did.

Today's gestures, and hand anatomy studies.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some ref'd drawings from some figure reference books. Meant to be quick and dirty, getting the general forms.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Not much. Got a lot spread out over the last few days. Got the gestures from Thursday, Bargue eye plate copies/studies from Friday, and the self portrait from today.

Name:  103008a.jpg
Views: 90
Size:  81.1 KB Name:  103008b.jpg
Views: 86
Size:  71.2 KB

Name:  103108.jpg
Views: 89
Size:  56.7 KB

Name:  asatira_sp110108.jpg
Views: 84
Size:  118.4 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ooh, nice pics!
    Sorry for not replying for so long x_X

In the self portrait, the eyes are placed in different places. Also, the left one looks bigger than the right one. But it's good and I like how your shading doesn't become too...sketchy, but still shows the planes and the form of the cheekbones.

And I really like the studies! It's nice to see you're studying a lot, but may I suggest making a few somewhat-detailed studies? Like, learning the more detailed picture instead of sketches. Still, just a suggestion here... X_X

And well, your environment pic is great for a first time! As katinki said, you need more shadow and more darker colors, and paler colors for further objects, with the mist and all...

Good luck! I would love to see more XD

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.