CHOW #53 - VOTING: Guest Host: Julian Gollop - Topic: X-Com - The Chryssalid - revamp - Page 2

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

View Poll Results: Choose your Chowracter!

Voters
47. You may not vote on this poll
  • CHOW #53 - VOTING: Guest Host: Julian Gollop - Topic: X-Com - The Chryssalid - revamp Radunz

14 29.79%
  • CHOW #53 - VOTING: Guest Host: Julian Gollop - Topic: X-Com - The Chryssalid - revamp howie

3 6.38%
  • CHOW #53 - VOTING: Guest Host: Julian Gollop - Topic: X-Com - The Chryssalid - revamp Paolo13

0 0%
  • CHOW #53 - VOTING: Guest Host: Julian Gollop - Topic: X-Com - The Chryssalid - revamp woodlandwalker

2 4.26%
  • CHOW #53 - VOTING: Guest Host: Julian Gollop - Topic: X-Com - The Chryssalid - revamp vances22

0 0%
  • CHOW #53 - VOTING: Guest Host: Julian Gollop - Topic: X-Com - The Chryssalid - revamp cognitionsb

5 10.64%
  • CHOW #53 - VOTING: Guest Host: Julian Gollop - Topic: X-Com - The Chryssalid - revamp GorgothofSuburbia

0 0%
  • CHOW #53 - VOTING: Guest Host: Julian Gollop - Topic: X-Com - The Chryssalid - revamp Hurricane

28 59.57%
  • CHOW #53 - VOTING: Guest Host: Julian Gollop - Topic: X-Com - The Chryssalid - revamp KennysEvilTwin

1 2.13%
  • CHOW #53 - VOTING: Guest Host: Julian Gollop - Topic: X-Com - The Chryssalid - revamp SubtileSquid

1 2.13%
  • CHOW #53 - VOTING: Guest Host: Julian Gollop - Topic: X-Com - The Chryssalid - revamp EvilSloth

0 0%
  • CHOW #53 - VOTING: Guest Host: Julian Gollop - Topic: X-Com - The Chryssalid - revamp kougansharde

0 0%
  • CHOW #53 - VOTING: Guest Host: Julian Gollop - Topic: X-Com - The Chryssalid - revamp Rosco

1 2.13%
  • CHOW #53 - VOTING: Guest Host: Julian Gollop - Topic: X-Com - The Chryssalid - revamp TroyWilkerson

4 8.51%
  • CHOW #53 - VOTING: Guest Host: Julian Gollop - Topic: X-Com - The Chryssalid - revamp natedogler

0 0%
  • CHOW #53 - VOTING: Guest Host: Julian Gollop - Topic: X-Com - The Chryssalid - revamp ChuckMate

4 8.51%
  • CHOW #53 - VOTING: Guest Host: Julian Gollop - Topic: X-Com - The Chryssalid - revamp Panagos

2 4.26%
  • CHOW #53 - VOTING: Guest Host: Julian Gollop - Topic: X-Com - The Chryssalid - revamp wagon

7 14.89%
  • CHOW #53 - VOTING: Guest Host: Julian Gollop - Topic: X-Com - The Chryssalid - revamp burrito

1 2.13%
  • CHOW #53 - VOTING: Guest Host: Julian Gollop - Topic: X-Com - The Chryssalid - revamp masque

5 10.64%
  • CHOW #53 - VOTING: Guest Host: Julian Gollop - Topic: X-Com - The Chryssalid - revamp AndrewRitchie

3 6.38%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: CHOW #53 - VOTING: Guest Host: Julian Gollop - Topic: X-Com - The Chryssalid - revamp

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hope 2007 rox yer sox! My contribution, almost unfinished 'cause I only found this thread last Saturday, and my heat just went out (again) and I have to figure out how not to freeze. R L SUX (tm). But the main subject's covered OK.

CHOW #53 - VOTING: Guest Host: Julian Gollop - Topic: X-Com - The Chryssalid - revamp

The evolved Chryssalids resulted from earlier generations bringing surviving humans back to the hive, where the queen incorporated human DNA into a new breed of soldiers that have adapted some human structural features for greater strength, speed and increased size. The tentacles in the head act similar to a jellyfish's nematocysts (stinging cells), lashing out to embed parasitical organisms in living humans. These do not grow, but instead act as internal bioengineering factories, taking over the human DNA and hyper-mutating it to produce an evolved Chryssalid without the need for the hive mother.

Continuity Break -- my sketchbook

Shameless plugs!
    Kata femme -- a 3D model WIP, now updated!
    The Giordano Gambit -- Barsoomian Zingball at its best!
    Valkyrie Ascending -- now updated with the second in a series!
    ArmaRagnaGeddonRock-yer-Yuga! -- celeztial shitz 'n' gigglez
    I . Miss . America -- "colored [eyes] may hypnotize..."

"In the end, Razputin, aren't we all just dogs playing poker?"
    -- Edgar Teglee
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    If its not too late, here's mine.
    CHOW #53 - VOTING: Guest Host: Julian Gollop - Topic: X-Com - The Chryssalid - revamp

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It's on... Let's select a great one for the 3D people!

Thx - Shivmoo

Last edited by Oblio; January 9th, 2007 at 11:12 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for opening it up
    Hurricane got my vote, i really like the idea, shame about the feet not really being visible.
    Close was radunz, a better ortho - front back and side, but i didnt like the concept as much. This will probably and should win tho as it is the best layed out ortho!... shame i am terrible at faces and that the face is such a large part of it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    If my decision had been based solely on cool design and execution, I probably would have gone with Hurricane - but for me personally it strays too far from the established X-Com 'feel'.

Radunz got my vote because I think his design stayed true to the original concept of the X-Com Chryssalid and is one of the few that could slip straight into that universe without a problem. It's a vast improvement over the out-dated original while still being loyal to it - very cool. I would have LOVED to see how you handled the color. Updating that gray and pink color scheme was a nightmare for me, and it would have been nice to see how you were planning to handle it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the votes guys. I would have liked to do color but the original deadline was Dec 24 and I barely made for that one due to holiday chaos. Been really busy since then. I'm also a 3d guy and I felt B&W makes it easier to distinquish forms and details. I was thinking a calcified bone color for the carapace and a deep crimson for the joints and soft bits. I want it to look like the host has been turned inside out, with his bones now on the outside and soft tissue on the inside.

My votes went to Hurricane, Panagos, and Wagon since they all had great original concepts and well done orthos. Too bad Hurricanes' ortho wasnt finished. As a modeler I would have really appreciated a side and back. There were some other great entries as well but those are the 3 whose design stood out to me. Being a good artist is only half the battle. You have to come up with really crazy and original stuff!

Check out my portfolio!---> mattradunz.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i thought cognition did the best job of fully completing the task with a character that was easy to connect to the original concept, different enough to be interesting and well-rendered in both beauty and ortho poses. a little top-heavy maybe, but that's usually not an issue with a game entity.

hurricane's rendering is dyno and creepy as hell, but i think the change in scale compared to humans puts it out of the running as a chryssalid v1 replacement, more like a boss or semi-boss than a soldier type. chryssalid hive-king?

Shameless plugs!

-- Edgar Teglee

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the vote Radunz, my vote went to you... but I never realised I was able to vote for multiple entries. Dang.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh man, for me it came down to hurricane or wagon. I'm going with wagon, because I like the look of the creature more - hrricane's though is the more disgusting and creepy.

AndrewRitchie gets a big yay for great style (digging the skillful usage of black) and Panagos - I really like your turn-around (the hero pic though has a problematic pose though). Good job peeps, great work!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    why do you always ingnore mine oblio? !!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Uh, I seem to have overvoted... I don't know if that's possible considering there was no "how many votes" set aside, unless that's in the discussion thread and I missed it. Regardless...
    I voted for Radunz for his thoroughness in approach and execution.
    Hurricane... cuz... well... duh incomplete or not it's good. With the exception of the hands being so enlarged it's still an effective interpretation of some kind of bloated, mutated human.
    I thoroughly enjoyed Panagos's but you lost points from me due to the lack of volume rendering in the ortho.
    Masque's also interested me in it's elongation and distortion. Absolutely insect-like and alien but still retains human elements. mm... skinless musculature...

Kudos to Andrew for the inky approach. What happens to the watch after he's done shedding?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I voted for wagon. Really like the design.

Also thought Hurricane's was pretty cool, shame he didn't have time to complete it.

Thanks for the vote, Masque - You had a great rendering this round, and nice work on the human poses. The design's quite bizarre, though, an odd combination of musculature and insect elements. Looks very unnatural, I'm not sure whether this was your intention.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by cognition.sb
    Looks very unnatural, I'm not sure whether this was your intention.
    ayup. (would've been just "yup" but that message is too short, says the almighty botmod!)

btw, i'd be interested to know which of any of the designs you consider "natural," cause if any are, dear lord, we are in serious trouble! pld:

Shameless plugs!

-- Edgar Teglee

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    heh, I meant unnatural in an unbelievable kind of way. As in it doesn't quite look 'right'. No alien will look like it exists, but you know... Some look more plausible than others, as viewed with the inherent knowledge of natural conventions of creature/human anatomy etc etc.

I can't really talk, since my entry has crazy proportions (as you pointed out) - this round I attempted to start with a more stylised base sketch.

My comment was an attempt at a critique, but the same thing can be said about mine...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @cognition -- yeah, i knew what you meant, just had to twist yer tail a bit.

you're right about the clash of anatomies, and it was intentional, a gross & distorted hybrid of sorts, more chimeric than integrated. it followed somewhat from my idea that the "evolved" parasite would not hatch inside a human, but rather take over the human's cell replication systems and hyper-mutate the human into a chryssalid (many insects are basically biochemical factories on legs, so that seemed not too much of a stretch). but they have no sense of aesthetics, so the result is rather unpleasant to human eyes (let alone for the poor sap who gets mutated!)

i'd intended to do a close-up of the face (which though having multiple eyes, also has a binocular vision setup) to show that the main eyes were human, but didn't get the chance.

thanks for the feedback

Shameless plugs!

-- Edgar Teglee

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Blahm
    why do you always ingnore mine oblio? !!!
    sorry about that - i only considered being a very little effort - and i let it out just like few others.
    I think that you will have your feedback from Jullian too.
    Thx.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ah true, Masque. For some reason I overlooked your description below the piece, which partially explains what you just said. That's an interesting way to approach the topic. Seems a few people went for the human/critter hybrid, but that's a pretty unique take on it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hurri did it again for me. Hurray for slimy animals.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by cognition.sb
    that's a pretty unique take on it.
    i thought the original chryssalid a bit too similar to the Alien... aliens in terms of using human hosts, which leaves the gestating critters vulnerable. so instead, there's no waiting -- the parasite is implanted and immediately begins working on the hyper-mutation. within an hour, the biochemical stage is set and the change takes only tens of seconds. very, very painful seconds!

i just wish i'd had more time to explore the visual possibilities, but i came into the thread late.

Shameless plugs!

-- Edgar Teglee

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Why is mine not in the poll?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Members who have read this thread: 1