Seanchan and Myrdraal
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Seanchan and Myrdraal

Thanks
    Thanked 1,309 Times in 389 Posts
    Follows
    Following

Seanchan and Myrdraal

I just read a 'Wheel of Time' book (2nd). Although I'm not sure what to think yet (I'm more of a hard sci-fi fan), I did find some of the mental images that popped up interesting.

The Seanchan guys were described as having insect-like helmets, and since I recently oogled some Preying Mantis'es those headshapes surfaced as I read. What made me start painting though was an image I just saw of a FF XII judge ('Drace'). It was pretty close to what I had imagined, so I got inspired to swipe both the Mantis and Judge Drace head. The detailing is kinda random, I'm sure I forgot most of the descriptions of them in the book.

The Myrdraal is some kind of Wraith derivative. The eyeless head and scaly agile plate(?) armour was what stuck with me, so I had a shot at that. The armour should look more big chunky scale overlappy, the pose less static. In my mental image they're kinda arrogant, standing tall, so I didn't want to have him crouch around like a ninja atleast. The head is describes as smooth as an egg, I'm not quite sure what kind of facial features they have.

If anyone has some more articulate memories of how these guys look, feel free to voice yourself.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Prometheus|ANJ; January 8th, 2007 at 10:50 PM.
    Jamen jag tror att han skäms, och har gömt sig. Vårt universum det är en av dom otaliga spermasatser som Herren i sin självhärliga ensamhet har runkat fram för å besudla intet.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Gundam shoes

I think the dude in the black's legs could be a bit less stiff, or at least more descriptive, maybe heels together, like military, or at least showing that arrogance in a sophisticated gesture.

Your rock

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My Rock! Allright, I'll try to move his limbs around. Also, I think it would be more interresting with just chest armour and no belly armour, or he'll keep looking like a borg.

Edit:

Last edited by Prometheus|ANJ; January 8th, 2007 at 11:42 PM.
    Jamen jag tror att han skäms, och har gömt sig. Vårt universum det är en av dom otaliga spermasatser som Herren i sin självhärliga ensamhet har runkat fram för å besudla intet.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Very Nice man! I love it! yea Just the guy with the black could be posed a little more gestural. Its always natural to have slight bends in joints, when the body is in neutral position. So your legs wont be completely straight, unless there is weight or tension on them. So that front leg u could make it look a little more relaxed on the guy in the black armor. Other than that, it looks whicked man. Nice Judge Drace reference as well.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I have a feeling you should shrink his head and shoulders on the darker guy...but I think thats mainly for my own personal coolness tastes. He looks like Voldo from Soul Calibur.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Agreed. I made some changes to head and shoulders, and aslo separated the cloak. Pose is still wonky but I'd rather worry myself with the design first.

Also, Trollocs. These felt a bit like minotaurs, but I don't recall that much detail about them. They eat people though, so I'm thinking jumbled pointy teeth, like a shark would be suitable. I couldn't make the beak version work at all, will have to try again. #9 is kinda close to my mental image, but I don't want to be too derivative of the minotaur type.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Eew. It ate my message. Anyway.
    Wow! Wheel of Time! I used to read that. Got to about book nine then stopped. I think they are at twelve now. Awesome. I really like your interpretation, looks nothing like I thought.
    Thoughts on the Eyeless: aren't their non-eyes supposed to glow firey or something? Or am I making that up.
    I love the Seanchan design, they get waaay interesting later on.
    Interesting Trolloc. I always thought of them as more human with random animal features, but I like the humanoid animalike creature thing you've got going on.
    editted for spelling because I make no sense.

Last edited by Samia; January 9th, 2007 at 10:54 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think it's the dark ones eyes that glow with eternal fire bla bla.

I'm beginning not to like what I did at all. It's something in the direction I had in mind, but too sprawling.

Grolm

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great stuff Prom.

Something that ive been noticing or well..i guess everyone has in a way or another is symmetry. You already nailed the alien feel in the bug armour (if i may call it that) but it could be so much more interesting if it wasnt so symmetrical. Im not talking about making one of his arms drag in the ground (thats just stupid!) but more like more amour around his swords arm or around his neck/heart.

For example on a greek armour (kind of funny, i searched for armour and one of your old inked pieces showed up).
    Altough it has alot of details and a nice silluette it would be nice to see some details that wasnt symmetrical, i dont know how much the function would be affected. But i guess that is how the armour is designed overall i guess.

Example of assymetry, notice the shield for the neck. In this whole post im speaking for my self so you decide how much you want to read into it. Anyway, the asymetry gives it a more functional feel to it.

Jag ber om ursäkt för dålig grammatik osv.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks. The PO was useful. I had an idea with a 'ceratops neck plate or horns, but it's not in the descriptions. It might be front heavy with those arms that far back though. These things need to be shot in the eye, apparently they regen. and their skin is thick. Therefore eyes have to be 'accessible' from the front. I'm worried that the one I painted up is too 'anthro' though, but it's hard(er) to make a fat frog with a beak intimidating....

The armour asymetry... I'm not so sure about, I can certainly imagine having an arm asymetry, with a shoulder thing overlapping the chest. The Myrdraal are a bit like Cobras that just pop up and scare you, I suppose. I think they're describes as viperlike in their movements. Therefore I think some sort of organic plate-scalemail that follow their form would be suitable.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ah i guess it was more of a rant from me.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You're talking about something like the Borg Suits? I'm not sure how I could make that work with scale mail plates. Asymetrical plates would be a little strange I think.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm enjoying this, keep 'em coming Prom!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,122 Times in 871 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Sorry to revive an old thread but these are some awesome drawings. I'm a huge fan of the books and I love the way you conceptualized these. It's much different than how I picture it. They look almost futuristic... very cool.
    Jake

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm pretty sure the myrdraal are always cloaked and rarely show their face. At least that's the impression I got. Nice renderings! I'd love to see your take on the Aiel!

Edit: Just realized it was a revived thread. I'd still love to see an aiel though...

- Current project <- Crit away!
    - The Whyatt Sketchbook Any tips appreciated

Quote Originally Posted by Venger
    sometimes your first thought is always right

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow, excellent design especially on the first guy (Seanchan? Haven't read). I don't understand those spikes on his feet though, they seem to serve no purpose other than making walking difficult. I love your painting style

I'm bad at sketchbooks, have a tumblr!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It's the Wheel of Time series by (modern day Tolkein...) Robert Jordan. I LOVE THE BOOKS. The first one is the Eye of the World. It's nothing like any of the others though...
    Jake

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    One (Tolkien day Tolkien) was enough for me thanks

I'm bad at sketchbooks, have a tumblr!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    angus: Do show it when it's done...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Amazing!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    fantastic
    your works and style fascinates me
    there is so much to learn from you

I never red the Wheel of time but your pics make me want to do it ^^

my sketchbook
    friends Sketchbooks:Dile_, Stine
    my flickr go there if you want to see my photography stuff

<mildly sarcastic remark that seems a little cutting at first read, but contains wisdom and is really rather funny>

Ilaekae: "I'm sick and tired of "purists" who dictate their own anal preoccupations to everybody else as the word of gods."

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Seeing as how this thread won't relive again, I did done do me some aiel sketches myself...

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...12#post1452112

Members who have read this thread: 1