Explaining things to people...

View testimonialsView Artwork
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Explaining things to people...

Agggh,
    Gotta vent, and perhaps get some advice on how to deal with this issue (or if anyone wants to share some stories that they want to vent out).

How do people here deal with having to tell others--"outsiders"--why they should take your advice on something? In other words, how to defend your stance? I'm (currently) the sole 3D artist at a small consulting company (that , in majority, has nothing to do with art or animation or anything of the like), so, I'm constantly having to explain things to people with limited to no experience with animation (especially 3D animation). I'm sure everyone here, especially the freelancers, deal with this sort of stuff all the time. I'm sure people have dealt with someone asking for a change, and you tell them that it will take time to do, and they ask why it will take so much time, etc. etc. Got any tips on not necessarily dealing with those people, because we will always have to, but on dealing with yourself so you don't implode?

Thanks,
    Chris

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    What do you have to explain? Is it directly realated to what you or the company is doing at the moment, or just in general 3d stuff?

If it's directly work related then the first thing you should do is think about your opinion and why you think it is right. Now the next step is that you to explain that your opinion is good because it is beneficial to the boss/company/coworker.

If it's not work related then it should not matter for your job. But if people keep refering to you as a walking 3d stuff dictionary politely explain that this won't work.

If you boss wants to know why a change does take so much time then show him. It could be worth it (for you) to show it once (even if it takes some free time) so he can understand why it takes so long. When people have no background information on how things work then they can't comprehend the amout of time that is needed. There is no correlation between time/work and the finished product. Another idea would be to look for some CG films (Pixar stuff) and look for useful behind the scenes features that show the work. That could create the product-work correlation. Show some of these to your boss. If I remember correctly there are some funny interview online with Pixar PS people who show the Pixar server farm to visitors. That would be a little explanation for the rendering time needed, show some features about the work and you should be done with explaining. Pictures can be very good for explaining things.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Use their language; if they're execs, talk in numbers, hours of work, percentages, facts. If they're anyone else wanting to understand what you do, use analogies they can understand. If they're engineers, good luck! Seriously now, it took me a while to find the language switch when talking with computer engineers. It's doable but only if both parties try.

As Mario said, it would help if you gave us an example.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey guys,
    Thanks for your input.

Every so often I get these bouts where I can't effectively communicate. I think I was just having one of those days on Monday.

There's that, plus I think the issue was just me not wanting to do something that was being asked of me, and I was getting frustrated because I couldn't come up with a good reason why I shouldn't. Basically, I was asked to do some renders so the other people involved in the project could see where I was at in terms of progress, and I didn't really want to do that, I just kind of wanted to keep working on it.

There's a little more to it than that, but I can't really get into it right now, I have to get back to work.

-Chris

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I usually first tell them that I am the 3d artist and I'm an honest person. Also that I calculate stuff out of my own basis. In other words, my way or the highway. That usually makes them listen. Never patrionize them, they'll just be offended.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.