Any good books?

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Any good books?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Any good books?

Anyone know any good books out lately. Just put up a small list if u want. I've read and enjoyed the Harry Potter series and Eragon series so far but I've also read books like rainbow six and Kavalier and clay but never got more than half way because they got a bit long winded and boring.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Dune through Chapterhouse Dune.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Terry Pratchet.

Any, just... go for it, Terry Pratchet.

Thanks
    Thanked 16,670 Times in 5,020 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I love that you put Tom Clancy and Michael Chabon in the same category...

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Aha sorry I read really random books

If your into fantasy I would recommend
    "Sabriel" or "The Golden Compass."

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The [Hyperion series by Dan Simmons makes for a quite enjoyable read. Some very imaginative ideas in those books.
    Imajica by Clive Barker. It's twelve hundred pages of the most surprising plot twists and emotionally stirring fiction I've ever read.
    Almost anything by Arthur C. Clarke. The concepts behind his stories are some of the most interesting I've ever come across. However 3001: The Final Odyssey was the most disappointing book I've ever read, and the three other books in the Odyssey series were inconsistent and annoying as well, so I wouldn't recommend those.
    The Ender series and Homecoming series by Orson Scott Card. The Ender series especially is a science fiction classic.
    Harlan Ellison has about a hundred books of short stories out there, most of which are science fiction and fantasy. Some of his work seems to be bizarre and indecipherable just for the sake of being bizarre and indecipherable, like the story where a man crawls into his own pancreas to find his soul, but much of his work is quite good. He often breaks writing "rules" and puts odd little non sequiters into his stories, which I like.
    The Dark Tower series by Stephen King. Generally very good books, but like much of King's work, there are generous helpings of anticlimax.
    Robert Silverberg's Downward to Earth, The Face of the Water, At Winter's End, and The New Springtime. From an imaginative artist's perspective, these are some of the best stories I've ever read, as they're overflowing with neat little alien critters.
    The Animorphs and Everworld series (how do you make series plural?) by K.A. Applegate. They're young adult books, so they're slightly juvenile, but they also have very well-developed and non-cliched plots. Animorphs also has some neat aliens.
    Dragon Weather by I forget who is easily the best traditional fantasy novel that I've ever read, aside from Lord of the Rings. Despite the dragons and sorcery, the story had a very powerful sense of realism to it.
    The Island and Beast by Peter Benchley are two very good maritime thrillers. The Island is about a colony of murderous fundamentalist pirates in the Caribbean, and Beast is about a murderous giant squid. The books are very entertaining and surprisingly educational. Beast also has an environmentalist agenda and strongly denounces the unsustainable and destructive practices of modern fishing, and I love my environmentalist agendas.

Those were all that were immediately available in my brain.

Thanks
    Thanked 16,670 Times in 5,020 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Maoi
    Harlan Ellison has about a hundred books of short stories out there, most of which are science fiction and fantasy. Some of his work seems to be bizarre and indecipherable just for the sake of being bizarre and indecipherable, like the story where a man crawls into his own pancreas to find his soul, but much of his work is quite good. He often breaks writing "rules" and puts odd little non sequiters into his stories, which I like.
    When I was in my mid-teens I read pretty much everything Ellison had written, and that's a LOT of books. I prefer his non-fiction to his stories, actually, but I prefer non-fiction in general.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just started Hannibal Rising by Thomas Harris, and just finished Cold Moon by Jeffrey Deaver; reccommend both (so far) if you like mysteries. Deaver is a great mystery writer and you can never go wrong with Lector.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Fiction- All Quiet on the Westen Front by Erich Maria Remarque. One of my favorites.

Fantasy- Read George R.R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire Series. Amazing books.
    A Game of Thrones
    A Clash of Kings
    Storm of Swords
    A Feast for Crows.

- Sci-Fi, anything by Arthur C. Clarke, especially the RAMA Series. These books we're really eye and mind opening.
    RAMA
    RAMA 2
    The Garden of RAMA
    RAMA Revealed

Armor by John Steakley is a great Sci-Fi classic.

Last edited by Lone Wolf; January 7th, 2007 at 11:15 PM.
    2011 Sketchbook

New Helzon's SB R.I.P. Mike

"I am obsessed with the process of creation" -Zdzislaw Beksinski

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Dan Simmons' The Terror is coming out today! This will be so cool (literally.)

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.