Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Static Relative Motion - or just - Adam's Sketchbook

First of all:

Name:  Terms.JPG
Views: 2049
Size:  167.5 KB

My sketchbook is a land of free say, do as you may. Im here like most of us to improve - SO HELP! Well not if you dont want to, Enjoy your stay here in the mean time (even if its only for one day).

p.s. Is this a better opening statment?

Last edited by Adam.Katsaros; January 8th, 2007 at 06:23 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you for taking the time to read the above terms and conditions. May my comments bless your sketchbook and yours will mine.

Now for my first piece:
    100 Ellipses in 100 minutes
    Name:  elipse practice.jpg
Views: 1974
Size:  16.7 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ok a quick enivronment just so ive done somthing today. No real intent behind it, just doodling.

Name:  RivercMossing.jpg
Views: 1951
Size:  79.4 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A skull today, a tonal study really. Please tell me if you think any of the skulls proportions are wrong. Oh also if your part of my SSG you dont have to ahere to my "terms and conditions", like any of you others really have to! Its just there to scare of trolls

Name:  skull_.jpg
Views: 2000
Size:  81.7 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some proportions and poses.

Name:  poseProportions001.jpg
Views: 1878
Size:  15.5 KB

Thanks
    Thanked 1,441 Times in 259 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam.Katsaros
    you dont have to ahere to my "terms and conditions", like any of you others really have to! Its just there to scare of trolls
    You needn't worry about trolls here. In fact, you might want to tone down that whole terms and conditions thing - it's only going to drive away folks who take artistic development seriously. No troll would bother reading it in the first place.

I think you are awesome, and I wish you the best in your endeavors, but I am tired of repeating myself, I am very busy with my new baby, and I am no longer a regular participant here, so please do not contact me to ask for advice on your career or education. All of the advice that I have to offer can already be found in the following links. Thank you.

Perspective 101, Concept Art 101, Games Industry info,Oil Paint info, Acrylic Paint info, my sketchbook.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah i agree with seedling, it's kinda insulting to us as viewers, plus this is just a sketchbook, I wouldn't worry too much about trolls. And I seriously didnt even read that thing and if I didn't neither will anyone else.

just from these first few sketches i can see you have some good basics, and seem proficient, so i dont think people will come in and say 'improve more' but they'll say 'do this to help you improve more' which is a drastically differnt thing. An intro like that is just unwelcoming, so get rid if it and say:
    " heya! welcome to my sketchbook, i'm new here and just trying to improve all around so give me some advice and i'll return the favor, thanks!'
    Thats much more welcoming.

On the art side of things, the environment is very atomospheric and cold/barren, and i mean that in a it gives me good strong impressions kind of way. I like the line quality in the skull study, has a lot of hand to it, as in to take something very obvious and kind of make it your own with the way you painted it. As for proportion think of cutting it right down the center as a mirror image of itself, the nose cavity is a bit right of center, the cheekbones dont match up as perfectly as i would expect, and maybe edges need to be better defined, but i really like the overall sketchy quality.

Welcome to the ssg and dont forget to stick us in your signature (under user cp at the top left of every page on here. In our group page i wrote us a bit of bbcode to add all of us into each others sig just copy/paste).

keep posting!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    what cercie said
    Keep at it

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hola hola hola! the back of your skull is very yummy! did you draw the front of the skull first before shading it? It might be nice to compare the rendering of the skull up next to the line drawing, just in case all the shading distorted where your lines went.

I love your bw environment!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Really like the skull study! I think it could be a very strong piece if the lines are tightened up a bit. As for the proportions of the the skull, I wouldn't stress it too much. There's a lot of asymmetry in people to begin with, It's what give us character and keeps us from looking like we are shaped by machines. Keep the work coming. Welcome to the Sketch Group!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    interesting studies. those ellipses look like they could be developed into a really cool abstract drawing or painting.
    your smaller proportion studies look good. the poses look fluid and natural, but the skull study looks a little off. maybe try shortening and widening the neck and making the jaw a bit longer. did you use a reference for the skull? here are some i found just in case ^_^;; http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g2...y/nSN009-1.jpg

http://www.victoriacollege.edu/dept/...nterwhole.html

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the responses fellow construct footplate operators.

Seedling – Yeah, I see what you mean though the intention was not to scare people away. Well I think I toned it down…. maybe, let me know what you think.

Cerc –hmm insulting perhaps but was just some innocent fun in reality, guess I was kind of poking fun at people who have rules on the internet – its kind of like rules for a make believe world but its real. Not that I have anything against rules. Hopefully the renovation of the first post will help loosen things up. If not let me know why. (Im looking to doing that sig think asap).

Waka – ok, well one and will do.
    SmellyKit- yeah it does distort a bit. I tend to render/color stuff from a distance and then draw my lines close up. Soon I will post a proper un-rendered study of the skull.

Muniz –I really value what you say about asymmetry too many people think the opposite. Its symmetry is more to reiterate in my mind how to construct the thing in the first place. But yeah, I should experiment with it a bit more so it looks less Terminator, not that the Terminator isn’t cool or anything it’s just not what I’m looking for right now.

Suhsealalala- (forgive the typo, but cool name what is its origin?), the ellipses were just a perspective exercise I like to go back to basics whenever I can, maybe ill combine all my exercises into one big abstract master piece? Yeah I had a reference for the skull but Jaws are just plain difficult for me at the moment, I got to do more studies of them – thanks for the link.

Now for a WIP, I plan to use this piece to practice rendering different types of textures. A bit about the piece:

Handheld Radar with modded 3d virtual display
    This radar was developed with energy conservation in mind and is specially developed for low light situations. Its 3d projection mod utilizes infrared light to draw an invisible map of its surrounding. With three modes for detecting heat, metals and radiation, the radar is commonly used in the depths of giant ice meteors that crashed into earth destroying almost all of Earth’s infrastructure.

(note original thumbnail in upper right)
    Name:  RadarWIP.jpg
Views: 1794
Size:  14.6 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi Adam, glad you got rid of that hideous thing at the beginning, I like the new one much better

As for the art:

Environment: Really nice mood, a bit hard to read though, I can't really make out what is what with all the strong contrasts in value everywhere.

Skull: You got some nice crits on this already, I'll just suggest using a bigger brush and blocking out the values and placement before going in and adding to much details, it's a bit messy and hard to read right now with all the thin lines going in all directions.

Poses: Great stuff, more of those and try adding the actual silhouette of the people, it's just as important as the stance.

Gizmo: I'd suggest doing more thumbnail before rendering the concept further, make sure you take into consideration how big it is, how it is supposed to be held and the environment it's for, it looks a little frail to be in a hostile apocalyptic cave environment and to be honest, the lower thing coming out of the side looks a little phallic with the split cap and all.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Jove, hey mate nice to hear from you.

Environment: Yeah the environment was a bit lame – was a speed job, I matted it for atmosphere but not contrast or saturation (whoops). I will be doing another environment soon, ill see if I can concentrate on contrast.

Skull: Good advice. When I do another one ill try a smoother brush.

Poses: Yeah, I like doing these. Shadows? Now that sounds fun why didn’t I think to do that.

Radar: Yeah I agree. I’ve redrawn it (posted below). I added some bulk and a gripping system. For size I was thinking bigger than handheld, more in between tennis racket/cricket bat size. I added a bar code along the top right side for scale. I will add a few more details/changes later before attemping a full render.

Attachment 74784

Last edited by Adam.Katsaros; April 3rd, 2011 at 02:02 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm really bad with imagining devices and how they fit into space! will you post some sketches of how this thing interacts with its environment or how a human handles it? =3 for us, slower people at least?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Keep going with the perspective work and the gesture drawings, good stuff and of immeasurable worth as you continue with your art!

Start filling your forms with light and dark to give them weight and solidity...Most of all keep going!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Tom - will do, I plan to try rendering some textures probably with some sort of pencil.

SmellyKat - Figures holding radar's comming soon.

For now, I had a kind of an unwind today and digitally painted a really corny island with birds. Feel free to agree with me on the korny lighting, composition and colors. At final reflection I dont think ill be pursuing this island piece further...crits advice ect. as always is welcome.

Name:  island and birds.jpg
Views: 1750
Size:  31.6 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    the last one is very good, the water is fantastic!!
    the other thing i dont know what it is

keep at it!
    //peace

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Waka: Yeah, it is meant to be a barren island I got scale way off (contrast, sharpness, size, hue) I think but I got saturation right.

Ok here are the figures I promised, this was done very quickly so hopefully I am getting the general ideas across. The radar is mainly cradled in the elbow but can be rested on the shoulder (ala the last picture). The Colours suck as usual (ugly pastel, wtf was I thinking?), any words on the topic welcome. I really should of started dark. Anyway.

Coming up next will be a rendering study (textured spheres, cubes ect.) and a buffalo skull attempt!

Name:  guys holding rafar001.jpg
Views: 1694
Size:  14.4 KB
    Name:  guys holding rafar002.jpg
Views: 1660
Size:  11.4 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like the seascape painting! but I sorta like it even more without the birds, I dunno why, more drama??

and the sketches help clear things up! no problem in taking a break, but be sure to draw different versions of it sometime in the future ^_^ sometimes what we think is the best version really isnt, and we should have drawn several different variants

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Smelly - yeah new versions of the radar will come, im currently doing some studies then ill revert back to it. Also the environment without birds, drama, this gives me an idea. The island kind of looks like The Sphinx no?

I did some textures today, all done digitally trying to emulate graphite, carbon and charcoal. Just started a more complex render, trying to get a shiny metal render down.

Name:  textures1.jpg
Views: 2446
Size:  12.9 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Katsaros my man, what software are you using?The island piece has a cool pastel feel to it. On my monitor there's a slight purple/lavender tint to the water in some spots. I think if you had some of those colors in the sky, it would unify the whole thing nice! On your graphite renderings what are the settings for the top right test? That's exactly the setting I've been looking for!!! Keep em coming!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Muniz> Questions answered in PM

Ok the result of my texture study. This was done in digital charcoal, graphite and Carbon (custom). Took 4 hours - longest ever for me on a digital piece.

Name:  Coin_Merged_final.jpg
Views: 1662
Size:  45.2 KB

So thats it for this study. I will return to material/textures again before attempting the render of my radar (once I finalise its design). Comming next will be some buffalo accesories, good luck.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Katsaros My man that's a pretty cool coin piece. You should try some crazy overlay layer on the coin like snake skin or something. Keep em comin.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just studying some bovidae anatomy to help me get a feel for drawing some bison/buffalo stuff, decided to cow up a 3/4 view of a skeletal cow. Then chucked a guy on the back and thumbnailed in a possible saddle design.

Though this is more a study of bone sturcture then the design of a saddle. Whuich is unfortuante cause I totally stuffed the back legs.

In reality just a thumbnail really (poor effort on my behalf). Funny thing is im working backward compared to my radar. Im showing how the object is used first before I show the object itself. Will be intersting which method is more economical. As in Form vs. Function crap ect.

Name:  cows_003.jpg
Views: 1611
Size:  10.1 KB

Just an update/close up of a saddle concept I just jotted down, its a wicker basket with the top weaved closed like a lid kind of giving a suspension to who ever sits on it. Problem is the thing wouldn't be very sturdy so im working on a design to balance the basket in place through use of giant pots filled with ballast (water ect). Going to see Apocolypto (spelling?) tonight should give me some ideas!

Name:  saddle001.jpg
Views: 1583
Size:  10.0 KB

Last edited by Adam.Katsaros; January 15th, 2007 at 06:59 AM. Reason: added wicker seat concept

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    the coin is fantastic. on the cow image, maybe go crazy on hte armour or design.
    looks cool, but the character is standing? on hte cow? i would assume
    keep at it!
    peace

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Waka> yeah, his standing in the reins the yellow thing is kind of a counter wieght/armor to the front heavy cow. I will be doing some thumbs soon though Ill focus more on wicker/clay/stone saddles, armor ect. than leather/metal stuff.

Today I did a bit of anatomy - a full study of the back bone, only done it from a front positon (ribs removed). I included my practices as I memorise the more complex pieces (the cervicals and here the T's and L's meet). I feel one or two more sessions like this and ill have it memorised... not sure what help it will be but it's fun to do.

Name:  back_Bones.jpg
Views: 1750
Size:  69.1 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Damn!!! a hardcore bones anatomy kinda fella. I'm feeling very inadequate about now. The saddle idea with ballast is pretty darn novel if I say so my self. I don't think I could ever memorize parts of the skeleton man. You're using more of your brain than I am. AWESOME, Keep it up.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wow....well o.o those are some awesome bones!! if youre not sure if it helps any, I think it does. I mean for one, you can probably draw some of the freakiest zombies now XD

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Eek! no remotely average work that I want to show today spent about 5 hours total getting my head around 3 point perspective and all the stuff ive done utterly sucks - wasted day - but I guess I learnt how important diagnol vanising point really are (esspecially when dealing with three potiential horizons). If anyone has some 3 point tips let me know.

Muniz - Thanks, the saddle and stuff is slowly creaping through, but I havn't quite put enough time into it, I hope to soon. Don't feel inadequate I only copied it from reference and only have memorised the general shapes of the atlas, axis, cerivals, T's and L's from a front on direction... ill do a side view soon then ill try some skeleton looking creatures.

SmellyKit - Thanks. Zombies comming soon!!!!

Tomorrow im going to let loose with an environment, all these studies (but more so 3 point) has drained me.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.