Sketchbook: Static Relative Motion - or just - Adam's Sketchbook - Page 4

View testimonialsView Artwork
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey there. i read that youre planning on getting a digital camera. i think its a good idea for anyone at any skill level to have references. my suggestion would be to take picutres at a bird's eye or worm's eye view to get new ideas for compositions and framing. i see that the characters in your new painting are at a human eye level or a little above. what would they look like from different view points? maybe for another painting?
    as for this painting- it has a real sense of space. i like how the mountains are fading in the background. lots of atmosphere!

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Waka - thanks. I threw the old poses out.

Jove – I’m using a hard brush with opacity turned on. The muddyness I think is due to the 30+ layers some which are at a very low opacity.

Alert – Thanks. Yeah I’ve changed the poses and the light is meant to be coming from the upper right (based on the original un-flipped composition).

Muniz – Thanks mate. Coloring might be a while off, I was actually doing the who piece for black and white print.

Suhs – Heya nice hearing from you! Yeah I just ordered a cheap Canon A550 for $200 AU, should get here after the weekend. Yeah I agree on the angle comment, I didn’t really think of perspective once I started to produce the piece from the thumb…. But I will next time!

Hey everyone, sorry not to have posted in 5+ days. Anyway finally did a bit tonight, I rearranged the foreground characters into something I think works better.

Name:  compFeel04.jpg
Views: 259
Size:  37.0 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Woah, 30+ layers? Why on earth? I usually work in only one base layer and may have 1-2 extra layers from time to time when I'm trying different compositions but I always bake them into the main layer as I work.

The new composition is once again a improvement :]

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    THAT is a lotbetter my man!
    take it to the finish

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Jove - forgot to tell you im working 4961 x 3508 at 300 dpi (A3 size I belive). I am looking forward to making a nice black and white print from this. I have the 30+ layers to allow me to recomp my work on the fly. I can also apply adjustment layers easier... though im yet to use any in this work. But the extra layers have allowed me to swap the foreground characters without having to repaint the background.

Waka - I love the directness of your posts but tell us what you really think next time even if it means posting something like:

"I am kind of bored by this piece now. Hurry up and finish it so I can see something else. In fact just chuck whats left into it tonight and move on, it will be better for you in the long run."

Im not taking the piss here, im serious mate. But ill only not get offended if you do it (just incase all of you decided to start waxxing me).

Anyway! Still drowning myself in this piece. I really want it to have a "finished" look (something that is by far my biggest weakness). I know there are things I'm not doing right cause it shouldn't take 2 weeks to finish one piece.... i think.

Name:  compFeel05.jpg
Views: 254
Size:  20.1 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The atmospheric perspective is great. Like I said if you put some color into it the depth in the distance will really pop.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Muniz> thanks for the advice. Perhaps one day I will add color, just keeping it simple for now.

Ok I've had a rest for a few days (I know I really have to stop these unproductive weeks). But yesterday i got my digital camera so I took a picture of some pencil work I had done and decided to color it. Below is the pencil sketch and the digital paint. I still trying to work out the best settings to take photos of my pencil work at, so the quality is a bit crapy.

Attachment 100651

Attachment 100652

Last edited by Adam.Katsaros; April 3rd, 2011 at 02:07 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice work man. Keep going with those anatomy studies, can't go wrong with those sorts of things.

I would agree that your stuff gets a bit muddy... try to clean up your stuff so you're doing less with more. use bigger brushes and fewer tones... at first, try sticking with dark/midtone/light and very little in between. Try to describe form more when you are drawing AND shading. With the pencils-- control your marks more. Follow the form with your pencil marks, make the lines go in a direction that reinforces the three dimensional surface rather than obscuring it.

Like Prometheus says... pick what you think is the biggest possible brush that will get the job done. And then make it bigger.

Keep on trucking mate!

MY WEBSITE: PaintedSky.ca
    MY SKETCHBOOK: Ook's Book - Karyl Craves Your Approval

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Strangely Beautiful! Your organic shapes ar super cool. Keep those coming.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ok, heres some critts, i want to see more portraits, hands. and general anatomy, i also want you to do these figures in challenging poses, and not only stiff ones, good stuff man, but i want to see this to push you furhter.

keep posting man

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ookchk > excellent advice. Exactly what I was seeking, thanks.

Muniz> thanks, hopefully I can pose those organic shapes into more dynamic concepts soon.

Waka > Good stuff man! I have yet to do any portraits so they are coming soon, I promise. Anatomy always pops it's head up eventually so stay tuned. As for poses I have just been working on them so here is challenging pose no.1 :-

I didn't use any ref for this pic and it's "pose extreme level" rates quite low (3/10). But I have only used 3 tones and have considered lighting (the light is shining on the same angle as the biplane wings and is comming from behind).

The concept behind the piece is the winged persona is mocking the biplane wings...

I put boxes around the body to help pose limbs and work out lighting (as seen in the second image). Im think I will do a couple of figure poses like this then pick one to take further, thanks for reading.

Name:  winger.jpg
Views: 224
Size:  18.1 KB

Name:  wingerBOX.jpg
Views: 228
Size:  10.6 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That's a good idea with the boxes, even for high angle perspective. See if you can get oa figure to a point where you want to detail it out. It's good to see you working greyscale. I've been doing that lately to better understand the tonal value. Keep the work coming. Remember when you're not drawing someone else is

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ok, here some stuff, looks good. but i still want a series of portraits and full body gestures fully rendered, should we say ten of each?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nice work buddy, i like your imagination very creative and out of the box kinda thing, i would say you need to work more on your human modeling and sketching and choosing perspectives but good work man keep it up

Last edited by Aladdin; March 13th, 2007 at 10:25 PM. Reason: typos

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    After a week or two out of action I have returned (sorry to all my fans for the long break). So starting afresh im looking to improve figure/character drawing and getting some portrait pointers from anyone with construction to thier citisim.

Muniz> Thats for the support man. Sorry to have let the team down over the last few weeks.

Waka> Ok, I got one portrait up and a few horrible figures, mainly due to trying a new technique. Foreshortening is my enemy but relates to perspective so I just got to find a common ground that works for me. Hopefully ill slowly re-work up to a larger production rate and work load (allwoing me to fully fulfill your request).

Aladdin> Thankyou.

Well as Waka requested some more stuff:

Name:  figs001.jpg
Views: 202
Size:  6.7 KB Name:  figs002.jpg
Views: 206
Size:  5.8 KB Name:  figs003.jpg
Views: 207
Size:  29.6 KB
    Name:  portrait001.jpg
Views: 207
Size:  22.0 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Right on Brother, a little portrait action and some gestures. The portrait could be cool because of the Asymmetry. I think you you color it just the way that it is honestly. I find it to be very fascinating. MORE,MORE,MORE,MORE,MORE,MORE,. Dude don't feel down about the team. posting frequently is a lot harder than most people might think. I'm going more for a few well developed designs and a few doodles here and there

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks muniz! Im still suffering inactivity syndrome but hopefully Ill find a remedy to that soon.

Heres another portrait and also just somthing little I did:

Name:  portrait002.jpg
Views: 191
Size:  6.0 KB

Attachment 115012

Last edited by Adam.Katsaros; April 3rd, 2011 at 02:07 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I diggin the space scene. Those pieces always have a lot potential to them because of the severe perspective. I think if you really focus on the light source and soften the planet even more it might help convey a great distance. I read something recently that said to have your highest contrast, and most detail in the foreground piece. Then soften and mute the colors in the background. Wise words me thinks!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I really like your loose skeleton sketches! lots of energy

For your portaits be sure to double check your lines and angles. For the guy with the crazy hair, at first glance it looks like his mouth is dislocated and hanging too far out to the side. But really, his mouth is in the right place, whats making the mouth look off is the nose. Your nose is coming straight down, when the eyebrows and eyes suggest the nose should be coming at an angle

I think if you fix the nose, the whole face would be much stronger

For the latest portrait, I like the shape of the eye! I think it conveys character. Something feels off about the nose and mouth area though, either the nose is too short, or the lips are too far down, im not sure! An easy why to keep the nose and lips the right distance is to draw that horseshoe shape that comes from under the nose. The curved part of the horseshoe makes the dip of the upper lip

keep it up! draw lots more!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi man, long time no see. The figure studies are nice, especially like the boxed character with simple grey shades. Have you tries doing clean ink studies shaded with grey markers?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good stuff, but i want more my man
    and more often to, come on
    dont stop pump out that art thang

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Real Life....

A long time no post.... almost a year. I finally have some work getting published into the public areanos . Here is a sneak peek:-

Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    here is a low quality image of my lastest work, published in Aurealis #42 check it out NOW!!!!!! Yes today... do it, I have specifically edited this post so you must, follow link --------------->

www.aurealis.com.au

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Adam.Katsaros; August 24th, 2009 at 06:13 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Wow my daily sketch book has turned into a yearly one

Still working on the bi-yearly Aurealis Magazine - please support us here in Australia and order this great sci-fi literature/art journal

For any of my old sketch book buddies still around, here are my latest pieces:

Name:  2010.jpg
Views: 88
Size:  240.7 KB

Please anyone who likes to read, or look at illustrations please support Aurealis

Cheers,
    Adam Katsaros.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Aurealis #45

Here is more artwork that will appear late in 2011, Aurealis #45. This image is lower quality than what is in the printed piece so buy issue #45 Aurealis in a few months time and you should be able to see details at a higher res.

Name:  Medea.jpg
Views: 67
Size:  177.8 KB

"Medea about to sacrifice her brother to prove her love for Jason"

Last edited by Adam.Katsaros; March 24th, 2011 at 03:59 AM.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.