Sketchbook: Static Relative Motion - or just - Adam's Sketchbook - Page 2

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    cool anatomy man, would love to see some more thumbs now. or even better, semi finished sketches
    keep up the good work

peace

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Waka > Im hitting up some figures tomorrow, though they will prob be sitting in saddles ill try throw a some variation in there.

Today just a quick environment as promised. I let loose really, probably over did (under did?) the atmosphere. Anyways crits ect welcome, tomorrow going to try more poses/proportions.

Name:  veg_sped.jpg
Views: 665
Size:  82.7 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nice environment!! but since the sun is shining brightly and the land is elevated from the actual ocean, I dont think it would be so foggy

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I did a few poses while away from home. I realised that im missing characters from my main body of work. So im going to continue the divergence from my plans in order to get one up. Never done a full character before so we well see how I go; im giving myself three days. Anyway here are a few poses (no saddle ones though, I forgot).

Name:  poses.jpg
Views: 651
Size:  27.5 KB

SmellyKit>Yeah, I think I had the atmosphere way too bright (trying to guve it that fairy/stocking over the lens like feel - didn't work). Below is a small darkened version (I think it works better).

Name:  veg_spedv2Small.jpg
Views: 640
Size:  7.2 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just knocked this character up, not sure im quite strong enough on my anatomy to do such an unclad figure. Think Ill try a guy in robes.... maybe a kaftan? I can focus on the head more that way.

My upper body anaotmy is mediocre and m hip/leg anaotmy just plan sucks (new done any studies on this area and it shows). Anyway I don't think ill take this further.

Attachment 80993

Last edited by Adam.Katsaros; April 3rd, 2011 at 01:03 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I love the new environment version! looks more solid now!

I really like the poses, they are a lot of fun! But I think the most recent drawing has porportional issues. Hands normally reach the middle of your thigh for example.

keep it up! ^_^

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Smelly> Thanks heaps for the support!!!! The darker version of the environment is better (technically) but I think there is something "fairy tale" like about the lighting in the first.... or maybe im just attracted to the pure white flowers. The proportion of my character sucks my biggest problem is the foreshortening of the arms. The left one is meant to be receeding back (hence it not reaching the middle thigh) and the right one has its elbow receeded and bent. I think the soultion is to invest more perspective in my characters rather than try draw of the top off my head.

Anyway heres another character I knocked up (off the top of my head), it is half way done but I think ill ditch it mainly due to proportions not translating well and start a fresh with another:

Attachment 81202

Last edited by Adam.Katsaros; April 3rd, 2011 at 01:04 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Adam, Nice start to your sketchbook. I like the anatomy an spine studies, keep that kind of thing up.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey, Damn nice enviroment, but the characters looks flat and somewhat stiff, try to do more dynamic poses or render them in moer dramatic light?
    keep at it man!
    fantastic sb

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice environment piece man. The action doodles are really good. I like the essence of the poses. Mine always look so stiff. Keep them coming.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Daraf> Thanks, Yeah anatomy helps but having to learn the bones first is a drag - unless you love drawing skeletons.

Waka> Yeah your right that my figures are flat. I don't thinks its the lighting as much as their poses and the perspective. My foreshortening really sucks. I really enjoy doing environments and stickmen poses. I try steer clear though, otherwise I would never focus on any thing else.

Ok, after a few days tearing my hair out trying to create some characters, then trying to sort out perspective (esspecially for foreshortening) and just general too much study and not enough production..... I couldnt achive anything good!

The soultion - Throw away the rules and just draw.
    The result - This thing, kind of a symbotic human-machine.

Attachment 82296

And a close upside down (a close up thats upside down...hehe)-
    Name:  WIP_Shellock.jpg
Views: 597
Size:  78.1 KB

In conclusion, if its not working forget about it for a while and just let loose. The studies/skills you have practiced will come out naturally. Thanks for the support everyone keep it up!

Last edited by Adam.Katsaros; April 3rd, 2011 at 01:04 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    solution = yum!! what a kick ass drawing! ^o^ do I see...gasp...spinal bones in it??

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    damn nice drawing, paint it man!
    keep at it!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Smellykitty> yeah I snuck them in ;P

Waka> I attempted to paint....

Heres a bit of color... but im really not too good without reference. Which to me says one thing "more still life required". So im going to do a few still life studies to try and improve my tonal/lighting memory and understanding. If anyone has any tips on how to tonally render things without reference I'd appreciate the help.

Name:  ShellockColor.jpg
Views: 567
Size:  8.7 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    looking ood, d oyou have loomis books or such?
    i think you should stick to a limited pallete. like maybe only black and white to start with?

keep at it!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ur first enviro is v nice man just keep workin on those studies! keep it up

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Woah, you've been a busy little bugger haven't ya? Great to see your working hard :]

When I talked about the brushwork on the skull I wasn't really referring to a softer brush, I was more thinking just bigger. I usually use the standard hard round brush with pressure sensitivity set to opacity instead of size and then start real big and work my way downwards in size as the whole piece progresses.

Okay, now for some crits:

Island: Got some pointers here already, my main concern is with it being to diffuse and soft overall, it feels like the viewer needs some kind of point that's in focus.

Figure studies: Good to see you included some silhouettes in the first one and with the bull. Oh, and I wasn't meaning shadows before, I was referring to the actual outline of the figure, more of that please ;]

Skeletal spine study: Anything that adds to the visual library in your head is a good thing, so go for it, no crits here :]

Overall: I'm intrigued by your use of textures and such, I mainly just use plain colors but I plan to experiment with textures further down the road when I feel I've started to master the colors, very inspiring. The abstract machine-beast thing is cool, and just like you say, as long as you practice and keep adding things to your visual library it will come to your aid when you need it, just don't forget to keep adding stuff and doing practices even if they don't come out like masterpieces.

My advice for now is not to fear the brush strokes and go out more aggressively with your colors, don't get hung up on something or try to smooth it out to much, just let the paint flow and always think of the 3D shape your doing and how to make it look believable. :]

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Jove> Hey, nice to hear from you. The textures are actually custom brushes, I basically break down what I’m trying to paint to a component and the put a larger piece together like Lego (e.g. one blade of grass to make a field, one wave to make a sea). Thanks heaps for the advice on shape and just laying colour (painting by bulk?), I think I rely too much on line sometimes. My next character attempt I will try what you say and just attack it head on without worrying about being tidy/smooth (ill turn pressure oppacity off).

Razorb> If you can tell me exactly what you like about the enviro then that would be great! Thanks for the support ether way.

Waka> Yeah, my problem is simply tone and lighting. Colour just doesn't work unless you get these right first (I’ve learnt the hard way).

Up today is a tonal study this time of an old microscope I had lying around (given to me as a present when I was younger). I enjoyed the tones reproduced in this piece (used the same method as I did for the coin: graphite, carbon, charcoal). I’m thinking I might try do it again but mutate the microscope into something alien (no reference), not sure though. I will be doing a colour character next though.

Name:  scope.jpg
Views: 587
Size:  21.0 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey, the new image looks good, just slightly off in perspective, and i dont see anything really white or bright. so its a bit grey, try to see if you can tune the contrast a bit, and then its awsome!

keep at this man, looking freaking sweet!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi, You good the form down, but the stage and the base seem to be on two different planes. Other than that its pretty solid

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The organic bug/human form is nice! I think the microscope has a ton of potential. I agree with Oki about the planes of it. Tighten those up and you're on to something.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Waka> Yeah I left white out on purpose was just trying to get the form down and was reserving white for the more shiny parts of the microsope (the mirror ect).

Oki> yo! welcome to our SSG, thanks will look into it.

Muniz> yeah man was just a tonal study will look at it if I take it further.

Felt out some characters today using the advice that Jove gave (thanks man). I picked one out and have started to work it up, hopefully will have a final piece soon.

Name:  chars.jpg
Views: 524
Size:  29.5 KB

Name:  chars_rework.jpg
Views: 535
Size:  14.4 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice stuff, just let it flow and keep us posted, I like the guy to the far left the best, nice stance and a lot of interesting shapes that can be turned into all kinds of equipment and clothing :]

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    now were talking, these are looking neat.
    i want some selfportraits and hands now

//peace

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Jove> Yeah I ditched that one and started afresh. I just let it all flow in my latest piece.

Waka> hehe self portraits? Maybe one day. Hands? did an alien looking one in my latest piece.

Just sat down and drew again. This time focusing on tone and color (so sorry about proportions and perspective, ill so some of that next week). What I came up with? I'd like to think it has a bit of all our SSG in it. Cats for smellycat, muscles for Muniz, a hand for waka, no lower body for suhsealyuh, something new for Odi and the technique from Jove.

I like to think of the pool of water on the shoulder as kind of a portable kitty water bowl, and the red sash has the tail wrapped up in it (sweet ideas huh?).

Name:  taccer.jpg
Views: 514
Size:  54.8 KB

Last edited by Adam.Katsaros; January 31st, 2007 at 10:33 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Funky ASS organic Shapes man. I'm diggin It!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    very fun poses and sketches! I like the colors too. be sure to make lots of them like that before making something more detailed =3

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Eek! Five days without showing anything. I’ve been busy not doing what I should.

Muiz> Thanks, I really enjoyed creating the alien anatomy.

Smelly> Yeah, they were really just trials and took far too long at first (but all new things do). The more developed one was a bit of a flop but fun to play with! Tell me what you think of my cat creature.

Anyway today I’ve knocked up some comps ill do probably five or six more before I take one further. Let me know what you like/dislike, thanks fellow conceivers.

Name:  comp001.jpg
Views: 487
Size:  18.3 KB

Name:  comp002.jpg
Views: 483
Size:  40.5 KB

Name:  comp003.jpg
Views: 478
Size:  28.2 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Crazy conceptions What is the theme for the subjects? The bottom one has a lot of potential for a pastoral landscape. Add some color and see what you get. Keep posting!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Muniz> The theme is character interaction in an out door environment. Yeah the pastoral one has good environment potential but the character interaction is too minial. As you can see my first comp is a campfire like scene (my first idea), the second is conflict.

Have been really busy the last week but will hopefully settle back into rythm soon. Despite my promise to do 5 or 6 more I only knocked up one today and so ill try keep my word tomorrow, I also plan to do some perspective exercises and work later on this week.

Anyway heres my latest outdoor enviro character interaction piece:

Name:  comp004.jpg
Views: 464
Size:  22.1 KB

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.