Sketchbook: grumbles fumbles : a little hodgepodge of sketches in no particular order (3.24.08)
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

View Poll Results: what should i draw peeps?

Voters
138. You may not vote on this poll
  • evil lord sock monkey

74 53.62%
  • ferocious jibblymarm

64 46.38%
Page 1 of 20 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

grumbles fumbles : a little hodgepodge of sketches in no particular order (3.24.08)

Allright, so here we go: New Year's Resolution : Progress my work and stop being so friggin anxious about everything! I tend to fret too much and get nothin' done...Just gotta take it one step at a time. So to start out, here are some sketches/unfinished works from my last semester. Gotta get them off my back and start fresh. I've got a slew more if it turns out people actually like some of this schtuff:

charcoal pieces:

pencil sketches PLENTY MORE if'ns ya want'em!!:

pathetic digital attempts (chow/cows mostly)

and an oil and gouache for good (or bad) measure:

a recent piece for the Thunderdome, done in one day for the competition (but I wanto finish it up on my own...) oil 30x48
    also note the bad lighting and horrid camera use!

Please don't hold back guys, these were the just the 'weeds' i needed to get out of my system so I can start fresh and hopefully get something good done! Rip me a new one!

Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by mrgrumble; March 24th, 2008 at 02:48 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. The Following User Says Thank You to mrgrumble For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Your sketches and oils are my favorite. I'd like to see more contrast in your pencil rendering stuff. The last oil for the TD was great, one of my favorites actually.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks alot Jake! I know contrast is something I really need to work on when I sketch ( I usually just use a 2h pencil so I don't smudge) but I'm hopin to get some confidence up and just go at it...like so, for you

i'll tryen post a piccie with each post just to get the practice. I had mentioned earlier how much i love your flesh on the portraits you do...so I'm gonna try to 'emulate' (cough copy cough) some of that for my digital (cuz it's got a looooong ways to go)
    thanks again man

Last edited by mrgrumble; February 27th, 2007 at 08:15 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i really like you stuff, man! Very cool style.
    I will definitely be keeping an eye on this thread.

Craig Bruyn
    Illlustrator
    Moose Enterprise
    craig@moosetoys.com

sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Grumbliah! dude. these are good. But. They need more contrast. The life painting, particularly the still life has a great sense of light. If you can get that into the illustrative work you will be golden.

The comics work well but I have a problem with which panels come first. the line work is really great. I am very impressed by it. I do not see the same control over your use of blacks. Blacks can play an important role in directing the eye in comics as you must already know. Look at the work of Cully Hammner and Brian Stelfreeze. The work on The Ride and Cully's Batman graphic novel are nothing but inspirational. There are alot of tangents in these too. Alot of lines intersect and tend to cause a B&W picture to flatten even further. With B&W, you don't have much room to show spacial relationships so this is vital.

I think I said this already but I am scrolling back and forth from my writing and your work.

MORE CONTRAST and LIGHT!!!!

Talk to Tom Sgourus or Jon about that. Tom will tell you the same thing over and over until you think it even when your on the shitter, "Have a lightest light and a darkest dark and your piece will be a success." Now there are varying degrees of this. For instance you can make an image with only 3 values. Say a 3,5,9. But, you can have many variations on this to get a ton more. Darks witin darks etc. Essentially though, it is only three values. For lack of anything else, my TD piece didn't have a full range on a typical greyscale but in its world it made sense. Obviously there are better examples of this but this sticks out in my head since I just painted it with this in mind.

You got it in spades in the TD piece, it is a big level up dude. More of that.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Craig-Thanks man I hope I can put some stuff in here to keep ya comin back!
    Voodoo-As always, can't thank you enough. Like yourself I was thinking about doing a painting a day now that my school schedule's a bit lax (but dude you had Bosczkov so you know what the deal is!) Soooooo...here's a self portrait I did in homage man, hour long sit. That's all I can stand to look at myself for! My stomach feels a bit narsty...but tomorrow when this thing is dry I'll give it a scan for a better quality piccie. Hopefully within time I can actually get a good modeling done too (I don't want to go longer than an hour on these...like I see on this one my left jaw is too long and the nose is too rectangular but whateve!)

Last edited by mrgrumble; February 27th, 2007 at 08:19 PM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to mrgrumble For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A border I'm doing for a Rumpelstiltskin narrative-I actually kinda like how the hands came out.

And an odd little self portrait, same kinda painting style (Of the digi kind I mean...) Found a cool little way to work up the shirt texture, and didn't quite know what to do for the background

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yeah I want more man! this stuff is awesome...love the charcoal pieces up top..keep postin these goodies.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The last little SP dude is great. The oils SP is also top. How did you go about the shirt texture like you said?

Envisor is offline 21 year old artist workin' to improve! Level 10 Gladiator: Equites
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    love the last SP, and love your pencil sketches. Hope to see the narrative turn out. Keep posting.

My Sketchbook- C&C very welcome
    http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=85772

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    As far as the shirt thing is concerned Jake, I'm sure it's not revolutionary (esp. for you and your digital chops!) but I was just playing with the color/opacity pressure settings-if i put two complementary colors in the palette for the brush some great greys and highlights pop out with just one continuous stroke (not in the shirt example though.)
    here's roughly what i went with, but instead of a toned background i had some gritty texture i used. little over the top but i'm new at the digital thing! hell i just got a trial of cs3 and even the new quickwand amazes me!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ah thanks for the little explanation dude, very helpful. I can't wait to try out CS3...sounds great!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    meh now that i look back at that crappy little tutorial i realize...it's a pretty crappy little tutorial. but hey, if you are interested in cs3, here's a link
    CS3!
    all you need to do is provide a valid cs2 serial to unlock it. or, in my case, since i only have a crack, i changed the .sik file to a .six (any change is fine) in the Adobe folder since I have a Windows and it is really just that easy. it's beta but it is gorgeous!
    envisor-thanks alot man! i'm gonna work more on the Rumpelstiltsken thing in a few days so we'll see how it goes...
    some more sketches:

Last edited by mrgrumble; February 27th, 2007 at 08:24 PM.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to mrgrumble For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Tim you are crazy. I love the SP, nice bold strokes and the color ground is working very nicely. I should try that! Those hands a great, especially the right one. Keep it up! Your making some strides dude!

PS Yeah Boschov was the man. I'll have to show you some of the stuff I did for his class sometime. I think I have it in my computer somewhere... I don't miss handing making gesso though. and the egg tempera boards.... jesus! That sucked the testicles of a lamb in the dead of winter.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sounds like good home cookin- Voodochile you crack me up man! Send me soma those piccies cuz I'm working on my proposals right now (spent all day yesterday working on a gouache ornate as hell study- only to realize I hate gouache! so I punched my hand through it (i had the paper stretched on bars-i like painting that way so there is no warp/wrinklage!) Robo would be proud
    Well, since I'm on a SP craze here's one from this morning, little under an hour...

almost done.........

to compare, here's a similair palette of one I did last year with conte for class...

Last edited by mrgrumble; February 27th, 2007 at 08:23 PM.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to mrgrumble For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Dude you had elephantiasis last year? I thought I was the only one?!? I posted that egg tempera in my SB if ya want to check it out. It sucks so be warned.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Molding Oldie

Ha! You don't even know! Before mr grumble they called me Elephant Man...
    Since you were nice enough to dig that thing up here's one of my 'Molding Oldies' for you to laugh at. Mabye the technique isn't that pukeworthy, but the assignment was...something to do with the fear of the closet! Bet you wouldn'ta guessed that!
    Acrylic
    size: won't fit in trash (yet...bring the matches! and the comfy chair...)

22. The Following User Says Thank You to mrgrumble For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Last time I saw you I didn't notice the arms. Did they leave when you were cured from elephantiasis back in the 70's. What a good time eh, ole chap? Musket boots, Jack Daniels, Spatula's and Yugoslavian prostitutes equal a good time at the roller derby.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wow so much great sketchbooks around!
    Love the pages at the top of the page,
    nothing to criticize for real, just update!

Xaya

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Tarot sketch!

been a few days since my last update, so i thought i minus well make a little mumbling-got a few quick pencil sketches (i'm starting work on two TD pieces so i'm kinda hush hush now!) wish i could show you guys more
    the first three here are some proposals i made for a 10x12 tempera painting (got the 10 coats of handmade gesso on and just polished her up!) to be done in first a layer of inkwash and then coats of tempera...
    and also it should be noted that although these seem kinda religious i am no waaaaaays at all even slightly religious. unless you account for my strange ability to change smooth bristol board into an inkridden mess in seconds as a miracle...i just like the imagery. for these, i would have a geometric kind of atmosphere, with hyper rendered faces/hands/cloth painted wherever needed

mr grumble fishmonger

sketch not finished (abort abort!!!)

and the accepted piece

and some randumb sketches for pieces/figures in no means finished...just thoughts

(note the crappy scan!)

and if i feel so tickled i might just clean up the scans and add some highlights just so you guys can see things a wee more clear! no time right now have to tidy up in the latenight hours when i get back from work

Last edited by mrgrumble; January 11th, 2007 at 07:26 PM. Reason: retitle

26. The Following User Says Thank You to mrgrumble For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    And one from the vaults: the only male model to trip on acid, fight a tree, and pose juditsu style for a drawing class in a two hour time period: Omni.

Last edited by mrgrumble; February 27th, 2007 at 08:32 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Dude your sketch pages are intense! Nice stuff man. I took your advice and cracked cs3 too. So good!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Word, this thread is awesome. You've got a solid handle on your sliis and you make sick use of em. Stuff like this is badass.
    Also, I've never painted some one who was trippin balls, but it just made my 'to do' list.
    Great work!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    edit sorry this post was dumb so I deted it. I appreciate the compliments but I don't want to pretend I know what I'm talking about when I really don't. Still really cool work!

Last edited by Jim Lee; January 13th, 2007 at 12:37 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I really admire your work...especially the sketches...nothing quite as beautiful as a good pencil sketch. Your digital and traditional paintings are very impressive as well...I like the red.
    Keep on going.
    *bookmarks thread*

Ars longa, vita brevis.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wooow now-I actually have some visitors! Well...I was planning on just posting some rather dull sketches for the current Character of the Week, so now i feel like I need to put something up later as well!(We'll see what the night brings)
    Jake-as always, thanks for coming by and I'm glad you got CS3 (just mind the sometimes disapearing toolbars and you're set)
    AndyP-If you can't seem to find a model like 'him' around you, just take a trip over here to Providence and I'll hook you up! It's great having someone of your skill come by to give me a little boost!
    JimLee- What can I say, that was truly one of the most sincere and bolstering critiques I think I have ever gotten. In class I'm used to people glancing over the obvious topics with a piece, but this was the first time I have ever had someone truly analyze my work. I really appreciate it alot and hope despite this somewhat lacking update I can continue to keep your interest as well as grow myself. I really appreciate your words.
    and lastly Exocentric-I agree! Nothing better than a pencil-I have yet to tame the whole digital beast and find myself laboring more hours on simple tasks that I could've done so easily with traditional media. Looking at your stuff, which is really charismatic I must say and charming, you've already got the digital down, so any tips...coughcough...

well, like i said, i feel bad shoving this thing up here but it's all i got

For James Stanton, Western Bounty Hunter...the preliminary thoughts I had, with some very quick highlights to help myself pull some more images out later i hope...

and the tightened (somewhat) pencil with brief highlights...but gad! those hips are horrendous-needs a wee reworking

Last edited by mrgrumble; February 27th, 2007 at 08:31 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Finally an update !

In writing this reply I've already scrolled back up over the thread 3 times in awe, of both admiration and fear. Man, your pencils have so much energy to them. Your sense of design is also incredible. The fact I'm going head to head with you in the TD makes me want to both laugh and cry at the same time. I need to really step up my game !

Keep on truckin' man and wipe your ass with my TD entry in style !

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Koala! Ha- I think you meant to say I'd need to wipe my ass extra after YOU RIP ME A NEW ONE...that's more like it!
    So I got suckered into going to open drawing today with just me sketchbook and 2h pencil, and the friggin model didn't even show up for the first hour (we all took turns modeling, got a good one of Voodoochile but Photobucket was being a bitch to upload so I just left it unscanned)
    But here are some gestures...30 seconds to five minutes mostly. Felt a wee rusty though, something to work on (i mean, something ELSE to work on!) But I promise (and hope) that I can have something worthwhile to post up in here (I realize I don't have too many actual pieces, gonna experiment with some environments if i get the balls...) EDIT: larger images

Last edited by mrgrumble; January 13th, 2007 at 11:25 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Terrific work. I suppose you're at RISD. Drop me a note if so, I'm just applying.

Sketchbook

Don't miss the rise

This is actually Wolverine's sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Those sketches look familiar. haha. Good times today at the open drawing. I think I'm going to have to start going every week now. I'd like to see that sketch of me if photobucket stops acting weird. Your oils get no justice on a computer screen dude. One word to describe them. EPIC.

Page 1 of 20 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 3